Literature

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Literature
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Xyrea on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

I'm a lit major. I spend hours upon hours during the school year reading the canon and the new canon, the minority canon and the should-be-on-the-list-of-the-canon-but-isn't. I read the poets of today and yesterday, searching for the deeper meanng inherent in all these texts. And then the inevitable question is raised in class: Does popular literature have any value?

I admit it: I _like_ brain candy books. I enjoy sitting down to read something that twists and turns in the realms of different lands. Fantasy books are my favorite in the whole wide world.

Don't get me wrong. I love poetry. Blake, Shelly, Wordsworth, Poe, Elliot... they all bring me a sense of satisfaction or complete confusion after reading which I enjoy.

But when I have the chance to just sit and read whatever I want, I go for the paperbacks from Waldens.

Professors, for the most part, are not understanding. Between the choice of Bronte and Agatha Christie, the only option is obvious.

But every once in a while, I get into the mood to just walk into my literature classes with a book by Greg Bear, sit in the front row, and happily let it consume me for the minutes before class begins. There's something to be said for a book which makes you want to read it.

By Pilate on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:38 pm:

Personally, I have little use for academic literature. "Does popular literature have any value?" Only someone who's done too much time in the ivory tower could possibly ask that question with any degree of seriousness. Of course it has value. All writing has value, because it performed some basic function for the author. And from a reader's perspective, popular literature isn't called "popular" by accident. There are thousands more people reading the latest potboiler by some New York Times bestselling author than are hanging around grooving to Tolstoy. If an author is compelling enough to get you to read a book, then the writing is good. That's a very subjective thing, of course. It's good to YOU, personally. But screw the critics. Read what you like.

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

Keep in mind I'm retarded today.

How do you define popular literature?

Who is to say that books that do well on the charts are poorly written?

Agatha Christie is a master in her genre.

Margaret Atwood's last novel, "The Blind Assassin," sold very well and was marketed prominently, and she's a great writer.

Among fantasy writers - are you familiar with Stephen R. Donaldson? I think he's a great writer. In fact, I was surprised at how good he is, when I read his "Mordant's Need" books. Not only does he craft his sentences very well (and I love his similes), but his characters (the important ones, anyway) are very complex and well-drawn, his stories are interesting and well-thought-out and lucid, and Mordant's Need had a lot of political strategizing that impressed me. Those books are *good*, whatever genre they're in.

Don't start me on Tolkien.

"Heart of Darkness," I think, is a poor excuse for literature. Why is it canon?

By Spider on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:42 pm:

GAH! I fear for my remaining brain cells.

By Dougie on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 02:59 pm:

My favorite Conrad is Lord Jim. Liked Heart of Darkness too, as well as Secret Agent. The thing that amazed me about Conrad was that he was Polish, and English was his 2nd language, yet he wrote so beautifully in English.

By patrick on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 03:08 pm:

Secret Agent is incredibly boring.

Ive made three attempts to read that god damn book and damn if I dont loose interest everytime.

As far as that genre goes...give me a Raymond Chandler any day.

i would say his is one of my more favorite "popular literature" writers.

This week i've been reading the plays of Harold Pinter. Man i love theater of the absurd.

The intro to this particular Volume of Works, taken from an essay Pinter wrote, he quotes Beckett...a quote taken from the beginning of Beckett's novel The Unnamable....

"The fact would seem to be, if in my situation one may speak of facts, not only that I shall have to speak of things of which i cannot speak, but also, which is even more interesting, but also that I, which is if possible even more interesting, that I shall have to, I forget, no matter"

thats hilarious.

(there are no typos in that quote)

By droopy on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

there's one conrad short story i really liked: the secret sharer. it was t.s. garp's favorite story, too.

i never really got into sci-fi/fantasy, for no special reason, but i did once read a memoir called "the motion of light in water" by a sci-fi writer named samuel r. delaney. it was about his life from 1960 to '65 when he was struggling to become a writer. at one point he gives some girl, a college student, one of his books to read. she doesn't read it for a long time, and when she finally does she's amazed that a sci-fi book could be "so good!" Delaney says something about "the undergraduates reading list" (something like that) that list of books that you have to narrowly adhere to and if you stray to non-sanctioned books, you've gone horribly wrong. this is why it took her so long to read it. the professors instill this fear of popular fiction, like it's a sin.

it's just plain intellekshul fascism.

i like mysteries and old crime fiction - christie, chandler, hammett, thompson.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

I loved Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever.

I also like Terry Brooks Shannara series.

As well as Tolkien.

But, I hate to admit it , I've found the Harry Potter books to be a better read.

Now if your talking mysteries I love Baroness Orcy's Old Man in the Corner series. Then there's Rex Stout for Nero Wolfe. Or, Ellery Queen. John P. Marquand did a good job with Mr. Moto. I also like G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown. Earl Derr Biggers Charlie Chan series is good too.

In modern writers I find Martha Grimes a good read. Though I don't particularly like her endings. They sort of leave me hanging. But, her characters are great.

By dave. on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 06:33 pm:

donaldson's gap series is pretty durn good, too. never read mordant's need. i also really liked the thomas covenant books. i want to be a bloodguard.

delaney is brutally intelligent. read dhalgren or stars in my pocket like grains of sand.

iain m banks culture series is very good space opera. i hear his mainstream stuff, written under the name iain banks, like the wasp factory is also pretty good. i started it but never finished.

i tend to like stuff that has a technical bent to it but not always.

there is so much good lit in the sci-fi genre.

mainstream lit rarely interests me.

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

Ursula K. LeGuin. There you go.

I really like the depth of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordon but it takes too long between each book.

David Brin is fantastic.

um, Orson Scott Card, I was into him a few years back, Ender's Game and all that.

When I was a kid/young teenager, David Eddings was my favorite - I loved the characters and the writing style.

By moonit on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

I have all the Eddings books. And Raymond E Fiest, and Terry Pratchet, and Anne McCaffery.

I read to escape. Thats why I like fiction.

I always feel dumb when you guys talk about books because I don't read 'smart'.

Although now that I get to do reviews I am trying different styles. I plowed through Atwood's The Blind Assassin... gave it an okay review, but actually hated it.

By dave. on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 07:09 pm:

the left hand of darkness was excellent.

robert silverberg, brian aldiss, gregs bear and benford, larry niven, michael kube-mcdowell, a a attanasio, i could go on. . .

sad thing is that i haven't read a book in a couple years. waaah. mostly for the same reasons i don't play long, drawn out computer games. i'm reluctant to commit the time. i always feel like i should be doing something else, even if it's nothing. i think it's just the level of attention required, watching the tv or surfing the net is more passive allowing me to be entertained without ignoring everything else (like cleo). plus, the last several times i tried to read, i was reading in bed and fell asleep after a few pages which meant it would be months before finishing a decent size novel. i used to do most of my reading when i was a bus commuter but i haven't had to take a bus in years.

By Antigone on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 09:23 pm:

Sounds like depression.

By dave. on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 09:42 pm:

brilliant observation. stunningly insightful.

bite me.

By dave. on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 09:57 pm:

patrick, look up stanislaw lem's the futurological congress and memoirs found in a bathtub. he's been compared to calvino and borges as well as pinter and beckett although i've only read calvino so i wouldn't know about the rest. i know i've mentioned it before, but lem's translators are amazing. if those books are better in polish, it'd be worth learning that language if only to read them in their native tongue.

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 11:04 pm:

how could I forget Tad Williams?

By moonit on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 11:27 pm:

My old dog ate one of his books. So I never got to finish that dragon bone chair thing series. That was him right?

By Pug on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 10:01 am:

I got burned out on genre fiction back in the '80's---as far as it goes to me Philip K. Dick is THE SF writer....i threw in the hat w/fantasy eons ago---kinda liked Moorcock's Elric books....I'm picking up on Fantasy again, tho----I always dug Terry Brooks---kinda regarded him as the poor man's Tolkein, but screw it----his stuff kicks and you can burn through it----much like w/Stephen King's better stuff. There is a talent to writing a page turner, y'know?
    And I reiterate---after all these years I'm finally making it thru LOTR and really enjoying it....
    My allegiance still goes to bent literature, though.....Bukowski. Himes. Selby. Burroughs. Cortazar. Kerouac. Early Durrell. Salinger. Etc.

By semillama on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 09:28 pm:

That's him, moonit. Do yourself a favor and 1.
    finish it, and 2. read his current series,
    Otherland, it's head and shoulders over all the
    other modern sci-fi I've read in the past three
    years. Pug, you should pick up that series too,
    I couldn't put it down and may have to break
    my ban on buying hardcover and get the
    newset installation which just came out.

I'm reading Running with the Hunted now, a
    Bukowski reader set up to be roughly
    autobiographical. I've also been slumming
    and reading Terry Goodkind, who is
    somewhat ripping off Robert Jordan's Wheel
    of time series.

By Dougie on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 08:38 am:

David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is fricking hysterical.

By Spider on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 09:29 am:

Dave, I tried to read the first book of Donaldson's Gap series, but hated it. It seemed so thinly stretched or something. There wasn't any meat. Are the other books better?

By dave. on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:34 am:

i think they are. i think the first book was mostly a prologue for the rest of the story.

By Antigone on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

Reading Verner Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" now. Good shit. And, for hard science fiction fans, I can'd recommend Stephen Baxter's "Manifold Time" enough...

And, the gap series was good. Not Donaldson's best, though. For that, try "The Mirror of Her Dreams" and "Mordant's Need."

By Spider on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

That's what I said, boy. And the second "Mordant's Need" book is called "A Man Rides Through." They're great even if you don't like fantasy. I thought the character of Terisa was so well-developed that it was hard to believe the books were written by a man. He must have a wife or sister that he's close to.

By Xyrea on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

Today we discussed what was happening to the canon, and why. Apparently (at least according to the prof) our fascination with destroying the canon is going to lead to America's national identity becoming based on ideas from Stephen King. You would not believe the level of distaste that was injected into the author's name. I laughed (I really thought he might have been kidding.) Then I realized he was dead serious.

I think that the Academic world needs to loosen up a bit.

By droop on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

damn litter-ature

By The Watcher on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 04:09 pm:

How could I forget the late Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

I loved them.

By Antigone on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

Your prof sounds like he's puckered at both ends, Xyrea.

I prescribe oral sex and a good laxative while listening to the entire audio edition of "The Stand."

By Cat on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

I adore fancy-schmancy literature.

Give me a Bronte over Stephen King any day. So much more delicious darkness and passion.

I always feel dissatisfied when I read "trash" novels. There's an emptiness to them, as if they just scratch the surface and never dive deep into the cold waters of the human condition.

By Ophelia on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

I like to read classics, partly for the self-satisfying feeling I get from feeling cultured. But generally I end up liking the book for its own worth, not just because it's a classic.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 11:55 am:

how bout you start by chucking the word "canon".

it sounds so god damn pretensious when speaking of literature.

who cares about the canon.

nothing but personal passion should direct your eyes to the pages of a book.

i spend as much time reading uppity playwrights and novelists as I do reading Maxim mag on the pot, Food and Wine in the kitchen, Wallpaper and Bazaar in the living room and the LA and NYC times here at work.

put the canon in the canon and light the fuse.

i think the academic world, in general feels threatened by mass pop consumerist culture.

get your free stephen king novella with any happy meal and biggie fry purchase. limited supplies.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

I find most of "The Classics" boring.

Dante's Divine Comedy wasn't bad. One of the few classics I didn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to read. I plan in the future to read Plato's Republic.

But, most literature I was ever assigned to read I found boring. I don't even think the teachers/professors who assigned them liked them. They were just books on a list that somebody else thought we should read.

The most horrifically boring book I ever tried to read (failed miserably) was Silas Marner. Can anyone please tell me why the world is still subjected to the torture of reading this piece of you know what? And, who in all of God's world decided it was great litterature?

By Spider on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

Didn't George Eliot write that? We had to read her "Mill on the Floss" -- also excruciating.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

I don't know, and I'm not going to amazon.com to find out.

The memories are to painful.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

At my school we do a senior literary thesis that involves reading six books and their critisisms and analyzing each one then pulling them together into a big paper.

I almost did it on books by Eliot, Dickens, and the like. I changed it at the last minute, and am much happier.

By JOe kEWl on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:51 am:

i want a big bag of money

By J on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:12 am:

I'll read just about anything,but for about the last 10 years it's mostly been true crime books for me,I'd make a great detective.

By dave. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 10:57 am:

dan simmons' hyperion series was cool for a writer who does mostly horror. the shrike was an amazing bad guy. the priest whose daughter gets messed up in some time contraption and grows younger day by day, waking up not remembering yesterday because it hasn't happened yet, until she disappears. all kinds of good stuff in there.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

J, Haven't you had enough true crime in your life?

By Pug on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

I read SILAS MARNER when I was 15 or so....I liked the story but I couldn't tell you about the quality of the writing....I remember skipping over vast quantities of stuff...
    And SM has a place in history as a piece of literature that has bored the ass off many schoolkids...
    Academia annoys the fuck out of me---always has and it probably always will. I have a respect (but not blind acceptance) for the "Classics"---but there's the whole unveering myth of the canon---which I think ends with Sylvia Plath---and if you're not in The Canon, you're NOBODY. My ass...
    ALTHOUGH (just to play Devil's Advocate) I'm currently working on two essays for an anthology called THE WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ---which is dedicated to writers one considers overrated and overcommercialized. My initial choices (the editor of the book could always tell me to fuck off) are John Grisham and Dean R. Koontz......
    Such Academics, of course, malign writers like Bukowski as the Antichrist, because he wrote such rough-hewn populist writing with no bullshit---he opened the doors to Academia and showed everyone the dust and cobwebs therein and so he'll be maligned forever by the Canon-freaks. Much in the same way elitists in mysticism will always bag on Crowley for making their secrets public.
    The trouble with Academia is that as far as writers are concerned, all they do is churn out writers whose work is a pale mimmickry of the writers in The Canon....and there are many great writers in the Canon---but the shit's been done. It's over.
    Much like the way the Academia of the art establishment in France held art stagnant in the late 1800s/early 1900s, snubbing the impressionists and other art movements---their artists devoted their lives to imitating long-dead genres---and they failed. No one remembers them today.
    Xyrea, as far as "literature" goes, I reccommend you check out Bukowski.....I prefer the short stories and I think THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN TOWN is a great place to start....I guarantee your professor would hate the stuff.
    I wonder if popular fiction has eroded our ability to enjoy literature of substance---I wonder sometimes if our attention spans have been so fucked up that we can no longer appreciate a challenging or substantial read...
    But I'm not gonna dwell on it.
    UNCLE PUG'S LITERARY HIT LIST OF THE NEXT 5 MINUTES:
    HERMAN MELVILLE-Bartleby the Scivener
    SHAKESPEARE-KING LEAR (badass play!!!!)
    J.D. SALINGER-Nine Stories. His best book, in my opinion....
    LAURENCE DURRELL--THE BLACK BOOK. His underrated first novel--unlike anything you've ever read.
    JOSEPH HELLER-CATCH-22, SOMETHING HAPPENED. Heller's early, dark stuff was always the winner for me----check out SOMETHING HAPPENED---not an easy read---but twisted and brilliant and the ending will nail you cold.
    GAWD am I drunk!
    I probably SHOULD ADD, at this point, that I'm actually REACHING THE END of FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING...I finally am making it through the damn thing.
    And goddammit---I'm anxious to start devouring THE TWO TOWERS.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

THose books are so great.

I am making my way through my first
    Bukowski - Running with the Hunted. I really
    like it, it's a good introduction to him as far as I
    know.

By patrick on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 11:44 am:

by the way dave, thanks for the suggestions above.

i just wrote those names down, as I've never heard of them. Im going to the library to return this Pinter book and get something to read during my travels starting next week.

I like reading people I've never heard of but have been compared to authors I dig.

By dave. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 09:18 pm:

stanislaw lem died today.

By dave. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:57 pm:

ummm, i guess he actually died back in march and i just heard about it today.

still . . .

By droopy on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

wow. i'd never heard of him till he was mentioned in a philip k. dick biography i read not long ago (i don't know how i missed hearing about him on these pages). but i never got around to reading any of his stuff. and now he's dead. what should i read first?

By dave. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:21 pm:

well, shit. solaris first. also see the russian, 3 hour movie based on the novel. then the soderberg/clooney version.

after that, try to find "the futurological congress" and "memoirs found in a bathtub".

after that, his webpage can give you insight (obviously biased) on his other works.

http://www.lem.pl/english/main.htm

and like i said above, this stuff was written in polish, which as a language, is nothing like english, but the translators did an amazing job of preserving all of the tricks of language in a way that the rhymes rhyme, the puns are punny and the prose is remarkable. how in the fuck could they accomplish all this in such a translation?

By dave. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:44 pm:

i should also state that solaris isn't wry or ironic like the other two mentioned above are. solaris is a serious, dramatic insight into psychosis. so, if you read that and think, "whoa, that's heavy" -- it is heavy. but the mood of solaris isn't anything like the mood of those other books i mentioned.

it's like comparing "airplane" to "flight 93"

By droopy on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:52 pm:

i'll just go into it with an open mind and see where stan takes me. i'm sure there are decent enough translations out there.

By dave. on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:34 am:

i know, man. obviously, you're capable of approaching anything with an open mind. sorry for being so unegalitarian.

i do that a lot. i need to work on it. i'm not now, nor have i ever been in a position to presume that i have something unique to teach to anyone.

and yet my writing style, when i'm not just being a smart aleck, tilts hard at that windmill.

By Spider on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 07:01 pm:

Dave (hi!), Lem is the one who wrote all those "reviews" of non-existent books, right? I want to do that! Have you read any of his?

By dave. on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 09:11 pm:

spider! yup, same guy.

i have read those reviews and they're interesting on a conceptual level. it's a really cool literary device but they're not exactly interesting in a recreational reading way. i enjoyed them when i read them 15-20 years ago. but that was at a time when i was reading a lot of non-traditional stuff anyway.

http://www.lem.pl/english/dziela/microworlds/microworlds.htm

i miss you, spider. hope everything's going well.

By Nate on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:39 am:

i don't know why i haven't read any lem yet.

is there a story thread that spans the reviews, or are they unconnected? i started thinking about calvino's "if on a winter's night a traveler" and nabokov's "pale fire". interesting devices. meta-novels.

By dave. on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:22 am:

well, it's been a while, but i don't think there is any common thread aside from, maybe, a stephen colbert-style criticism of the general sickness of pop society as a whole. low-hanging fruit for any satirist, then and now.

By dave. on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:52 am:

oh, and regarding the calvino reference, i don't think i've read all of "if on a winter's . . .", but i would compare it more to "invisible cities". not so much in style or substance, but in concept. whereas calvino seems to engage the brevity of poetry in his prose, lem augers into the viscera of the topics he describes.

or i might just be full of shit.

By Spider on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 04:40 pm:

"I always tried to limit the amount of plot to the very minimum. I am bored hearing that "the marchioness left home at five". I don't care about the marchioness, her house and five o'clock. Only things that are necessary should be said. By writing reviews instead of writing books I managed to accomplish much more in terms of experimenting than if I were to dedicate full energy to each of these works, like a craftsman."

I am wholly aligned with this way of thinking.

I wanted to write a book within a book, as though I had found an old manuscript and had just edited it and published it. It would be in the style of George Eliot or Elizabeth Gaskell. And this is what gave me pause, because that meant I would have to study -- really study -- those authors to get a grip on their use of language, but I don't have the time or the talent to pull that off. And what really excited me about the project in the first place were the character arcs and the layers of meaning I could develop -- I too couldn't care less about the marchioness and 5 o'clock. So I thought if I could write the Cliff's Notes to this non-existent book, I could get in all the good stuff about plot and character without actually having to, ya know, write the book.

Thanks for the link, dave!

I'm still wracking my brains to think of something indigenous to this area I could send you in return for the mix I asked you to make me eons ago. I *could* send you a CD of powwow music, but...it's not...really something you can listen to for pleasure. I'll keep thinking.

By dave. on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 01:49 am:

write that story, spider.

you know you don't need to send me a damn thing. in fact, i have too much stuff as it is. the last thing i need is more stuff. honestly, don't worry about it.

By sarah on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:32 pm:

nate, did you start or already finish The Last Samauri by DeWitt?

By Spider on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:56 pm:

Aw, thanks, dave.

By Nate on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 05:33 pm:

i've started it, but i haven't had a lot of focus to read it lately. i like what i've read so far. she has an interesting delivery.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:54 pm:

Kazu got me Middlesex by Eugenides and Bellow's Humboldt's Gift for my birthday. She's my main source for respectable literature.

I'm reading George R. R. Martin's A Feast For Crows right now, just started it. Kazu wants to find an audiobook version of his other books, since she doesn't have time for this sort of literature in her grad school reading, but the 9-hour one-way trip bewteen ATL and columbus is perfect for audiobooks, and I think this particular series is perfect for a long car trip.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:01 pm:

I know that the "Mayor of Casterbridge!" is the perfect length for a 10-hour drive.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact