Pet Peeves. We've all got em. What are yours?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Pet Peeves. We've all got em. What are yours?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 01:21 am:

A dirty microwave.

[I can't stand that.When you open the door to put something in,and there's crusty nasty stuff all over,yuck.]

A dirty mop.

[Yuck.Thats just nasty.Why mop,if your mop head is grungy? I soak mine in bleach. I'm not a clean freak,I wish I was,but mopping with a dirty mop head seems to defeat the purpose of mopping.]

People dropping off their kids at school,and the kids aren't near ready to GET OUT.

[school drop off zones are quite well orchestrated.A to G and H to Z.{depending on your last name}But invariably,theres always a bunch of lag asses,whose kids aren't anywhere near ready to get out,and hold up the line.They must be finishing their science projects or something equally important.I'm not talking about say,a 45 second delay,but more like the 3-4 minuet delays.While traffic backs up,and you are blocking the road,waiting your turn to drop your little darlings off.Get the fuck out of the line,if your kids aren't ready to get out.]

By dave. on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 01:57 am:

people in my way. get out of my way. fuck you.

By agatha on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 02:57 am:

dirty stinky sponges. chewing gum. band-aids.

By Hal on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 11:26 am:

People.
    Being Poor.
    People.
    The worlds lack of common sense.
    I suppose that one includes people, shit.
    Not having caffeine when I fucking want it.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 11:56 am:

1. Snotty restaurants that offer "a chicken panini" or whatever. "Panini" is plural. I will myself be snotty and order a paninO and then say, "but I only want one" when I am corrected.

2. People spitting in public

3. People who can't apologize when they clearly have done wrong.

4. People with psychological problems who misinterpret events so that they blame you and not their own problems. 4a. People who refuse to admit they have psychological problems. (Uncle L, I'm talking to you. I'm sorry your depression and low self-esteem causes you to believe that I think you're stupid and unworthy of respect. Let me assure you that I am not being rude or condescending when I ask you to clarify your definition of a word you use incorrectly. I am just trying to figure out what you're trying to say.)

5. My mother.

By Oswald Jr. on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 12:38 pm:

Snotty sales people
    Snotty anybody
    Bullys
    Know it alls
    Bitchy chicks
    Rednecks
    Just plain meanness
    And I dont like country music
    or people who kick animals.

By eri on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

1. People who have a dirty lifestyle. Particularly the mid-westerners who leave their old broken down appliances in the front yard and don't paint their homes until the city tells them to, things like that.

2. Judgemental people who are quick to criticize but won't walk their talk.

3. Daytime talk shows.

4. Dishonesty.

By Cat on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

1. People who make lists of what they don't like.

By Antigone on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

4. Starting in the middle of something

5. Penguins anthropomorphizing bad grammar

6. Multisylabic pap

7. Surreal lists

8. Self referential lists

9. All of the below

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 05:58 pm:

Everything.

It's been a bad day.

By droopy on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

i work under the assumption that life's only point is to make me miserable and eventually kill me.

making a list seems pointless.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

all the mind games most people mistake for
    romance.

not being able to play those same
    mindgames.

catch 22 situations.

By Daniel ssss and the goats on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:29 am:

10. all the romance that people mistake for games
    9. piles of papers on my desk
    8. clients who are needy
    7. staff who are more needy than clients
    6. misplaced misanthropes maligning the midwaste
    5. lists of any sort
    4. sorts of any list
    3. Dr. Liss
    2. friends mistaking me for a whipping post
    1. the choice between Jerry Springer and late night midwestern local grown evangelists at 2am
    and finally 0. watching "it's a wonderful life" and expecting life to change without any effort on my part...

By Nelly on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:46 am:

10. use of the word "arguably".

Can't think of any more now. Sorry. Later. Maybe.

By moonit on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 03:56 am:

people that looked at me funny because I insisted I was a princess tonight at my uncles house. (i have on a shiny $2 tiara on (from the $2 shop).

bastards. I AM A PRINCESS.

and I am slightly inebriated. Yay. Whooie.

By Nate on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 05:17 am:

ha! your weak dollar makes your $1 shops $2 shops!

silly kiwi!

ha!

By trace on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:32 am:

my pet peeve is:
    the terms Native-American, African-American, Etc.

Why subject yourself to further class/race identification.
    Who cares what color you are?
    Are you not American? Regaurdless of color, nation your ancestors emigrated from?
    Is not anyone born in America considered Native?

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:56 am:

To call us Indians is not right cause we are not from India I mean whats up with that its such a dumb name. We are Native Americans cause we got here first way the hell before the white guys. That is all it means. We are native to this part of North America.

By droopy on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

you're a native american? what tribe?

i've heard a lot of native americans say they prefer the term indian. "i've always been an indian, that was the word we always used." sort of like the way i dislike terms like "differently abled" or whatever. i find arguing over terminology more annoying than helpful.

besides, people from india aren't indians. they are bharati from the country bharat.

By Xyrea on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:27 pm:

Some native Americans use the term indian... others native American... most that I know prefer to call themselves by their tribal distinction. In my family we've always called that part of ourselves Cherokee. I think the issue of African-American, Irish American, Native American, etc. is based on the fact that people do not want to be ashamed of their origins any longer. I was born in this country, yes, but it does not classify me as being _only_ American. There is no reason to hide your history, but neither should you forget your present.

By Dougie on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

I'm an Irish-English-German-Swedish-American, and damn proud of it.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

I use Indian too but I still think its dumb. But Native American sounds kinda strange too. I am one mixed up injun got Crow and Cherokee and Choctaw. Some white blood in there too but Indian enuf to get hell for it all thru school. I got dark Indian hair and eyes and tho Pilate is Armenian we look a lot alike people think he is my bio dad but my skins a bit more darker.

By Alex on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:38 pm:

1.tiredness
    2.Itchy Skin
    3.Angry people
    4.War - the most pointless annoying thing ever
    and lots more but im tired

By eri on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

He didn't mean that it was wrong to call you a native-american because you are an indian. What he was trying to state is that if you are born in America, doesn't that make you a native American? Maybe, of a different sort, but he is bothered by the need to categorize different types of Americans. We are all from different places and have different heritages and that is great but why label? THat is what he was trying to say.
    Based on those categories I would be Native Canadian (Blackfoot tribe), Irish American, German American, Scottish American, Italian American. Kinda confusing.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

I like droopy's answer best.

I also say anyone born in the north or south american continents or nearby islands can claim to be a Native-American.

In my own personal opinion; the claim to the exclusive use of this designation, by the politically correct members of our society, for those who's ancestors crossed the bearring striaght on foot as opposed to all others born here is an affront to the rest of us born in this part of the world. It is an insult. And, as such I believe that the ACLU should initiate a law suit against this designation. Just like they have done against school systems for their use of American Indian mascots.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

I know what he is saying I think cause it is the exact same thing John Wayne said in a poem call The Hyphen and he hates the Irish American thing too. We use to play that John Wayne album and laugh about what a dumb butt he was. But yeah I know what you mean and I am just sayen the other side of it no biggie.

By Czarina on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 09:37 pm:

I'm Native American Bitch,and damn proud of it.

By J on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 10:30 am:

I think native american indians should actually be called aborigines because they are the first known of it's kind that was present in that region,which would also make them indigneous to the region as they originated here.

By droopy on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 11:05 am:

a borin' itch in knees
    abhor rich n' ease
    in ditch, in us: peepholes
    angle low sacks on
    a frickin'
    germ man
    yer a-peein'
    his pan, ick
    la teen oh
    hand de cap
    crib pull
    dis a bull
    mine or it he
    my nor it he
    disk rim in nation
    big o' tree
    ray's is, um.....
    pray jude, us

By Alex on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

i like the 'abhor rich n'ease! and yer a-peein''!!

Hmm, with regards the whole -if you were born in America does it make you a native american? debate
    I dont think it does 'cos otherwise you could say that the rabbit population of Australia is native, when it was introduced there by settlers.

But then I got confused so checked it out in the dictionary, and it says a lot of stuff about native, but most of all it says you can be considered native if you were born there like most of you, AND if you were 'found' there as in the case of Red Indians

so no real clear verdict really!
    (Native -belonging by birth; haVING A RIGHT BY BIRTH; born or originating in the place; belonging to the people originally or at the time of discovery inhabiting the country..)

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

J,

They didn't originate here. They crossed the Berring Straight.

Scientists have not found any remains of a Homo Sapian related species that originated in the Americas.

Our ancesters all came from some place else. And, if you really want to take it back far enough... it looks like all human life originated in Africa.

So human beings are not indigenous anywhere but Africa.

By trace on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

I am 1/8 cherokee indian, 1/4 german, and the rest of it is kinda fuzy

So, I am a Native-German-Fuzzy-American

By trace on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

Wait,
    is the fertile cresent in Africa?
    I thought it was in the Middle East

By droop on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

watcher - i mentioned this once to nate a long time ago. yes, we're all immigrants from africa; but the culture (language, religion, art, science, etc.) of the pre-columbian peoples originated in the americas, is "native." i think that's what's important, not whether they evolved here or not.

the tigris and euphrates are (is?) the fertile crescent, isn't it? and yes, it's in the middle east.

i love saying "peoplezzz."

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

The tigris and euphrates therory is based on biblical references.

I'm talking about the current fossil record.

By dave. on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 09:37 am:

I like the term used in Canada: 'First Peoples' however it too can be misleading for all the same reason rehashed above. I'm a tanned but white skinned guy, with a Cherokee haircut, living a Seneca Indian life with a spiritual bent from Seneca's Handsome Lake Religion and Alcoholics Anonymous...born conservative Missouri Synod Lutheran but enrolled (tribally) in the American Evangelical Lutheran Church, descended from Augustana Swedish Lutherans, and liberal (and beer drinking hootch makin) German Lutherans who married into a Black Irish family, practicing a shamanist perspective and living close to the land while running around on fossil fuel in my Mazda and Mercedes...

I guess that's "native" cuz I wuz born in Appalacia...it don't git no more A-Merry-Kan den dat. (oh I should mention that my almost PhD is in American and British Twentieth Century Literature and my gawd, are those folks confused as to who they are...); and that besides teaching an occasional college lit or writing opr business course just for jollies, it's a great ecumencial degree for being a therapist who thinks that most therapy is bull crap.

Cz, you'll always be my Native Princess regardless of that swampwater in yur veins...

And Sarah will >always< be from Hawaaiaaiii, regardless of her midwestern roots...and Sem will always be of the dirt, rock and land no matter where...and Droop will always be an impressively successful triathlete of the spirit in my book...and Nate the wonderfully funny and sometimes nasty sarcasm king despite his wonderfully shy and mild mannered temperament, and ... so what is a disablity? a skin color? a religious preference? a geographic socio cultural epithet?

I moved from Sunset Hills (one of the richest suburbs in StLouis) to Jefferson COunty (one of the most pickup-truck-on-blocks-in-your-front-yard suburbs...) and the discrimination is evident all the way from the state's insurance ratings for the county, to my college sons's friends raised eyebrows as "oh, you live in JC?"

This holidaze, be kind even to assholes.

We are who we are. Gladly, thankfully.

O Brother Where Art Thou?

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 09:45 am:

By Salty on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 11:00 pm:

Corporate Upselling.

For instance:
    You go into a Subway. You order a sandwich. They ask you what you want on it because they make it your way, which is quite nice of them. Then you get to end and your sandwich is wrapped and put in a plastic bag. Right next to the register is an assortment of other crap that basically kisses your face it's so glaringly THERE. But you just want the sandwich. Yet every time you get ready to pay the person asks you (in a robotic voice indicative of a memorized script),
    "Would like any cookies or chips with that?"
    "No thank-you."
    "Would you like a cup of our fresh soup?"
    "No thank-you."
    "You can get a value meal and save money on both chips and a soft drink."
    (a whole 45 cent difference)
    "Um, N-O."

Corporate Upselling - Pet Peeve #1.

As for the whole heritage thing:
    I like to consider myself the dark sludge left over on the bottom of a reused bock barrel. Not because my skin's dark, just because there so many ingredients and mixtures that the only recognizable elements left are a high alcohol content and a stubborn cohesiveness.

But on government forms I usually skip over the pre-selected categories and write in "Martian."

By dave. on Saturday, December 22, 2001 - 11:59 pm:

yo, salty. i could've used you earlier when i was making some white gravy.

i make a killer vegan gravy with the soy sauce and the nutritional yeast but mastery of the bacon fat variety eludes me.

By Salty on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:04 am:

Senator,
    I'm not, nor have I ever been, a vegetarian.

By dave. on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:25 am:

you would eat my home fries and vegan gravy with gusto. vegetarian or otherwise.

By semillama on Sunday, December 23, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

Thanks, droopy for clearing up that fertile crescent thing.

Heritage is a funny thing. I'm reading Confederates in the Attic now and it's a real thought provoker, especially in light of my recent discovery of confederates in my own attic, so to speak (great-great- and greatx3 grandfathers on my grandma's side). I'm pretty weird as far as that goes. By blood, I'm (east to west) Cherokee-Irish-Scots-Welsh-English-Dutch-German-Polish-Lithuanian Jew. By culture, I bear bits of my dad's southern heritage (even though he's tried very hard to discardit all) and bits of my mom's Polish-Jewish upbringing, and a lot of Yooper (native of the Upper Peninsula= U.P.=yoo-pee (ha!)=yooper).

I think that most Native Americans prefer either Native American or Indian, if you must insist on the generic term. They would like it best if you referred to them using their nationality (Cherokee, Ho-Chunk, Anishanabee, Lakota, Salish, etc). Aborigine for some reason has negative connotations and it is not generally accepted for use. Also, native Americans is fine to describe all of us who were born here, but not Native Americans with a capital "n".

I can still put that anthro degree to use.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact