heather's first earthquake

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: heather's first earthquake
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:57 am:

early reports say 5.2, 3 miles SW of gilroy.

heather sat on the ground looking around while we stood under well supported areas of the house wondering why she wasn't doing those things that we've been taught since the earliest of school years.

was it felt in the City?

By dave. on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:26 am:

sitting on the ground and looking around sounds better than huddling under a door. i love earthquakes, especially nice 5.2 rollers. bring 'em on.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 10:22 am:

it felt like a low 4 where we are.

apparently it was really shallow, so it was felt far and wide.

i like 'em too. except the parts where big shit falls and kills people.

By J on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:02 am:

Glad to see your alright,I saw it knocked out phone service in San Jose.

By Czarina on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:35 am:

Heather,its a well known fact,that under emergency circumstances,its every man for himself.
    Women and children first.Save yourself.We need you.[its okay to save Nate,too.You might need him for a food source later]Planning ahead is always a wise plan in a diaster.

By eri on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:54 am:

I remember earthquakes. I always thought they were fun. Usually, by the time you figured out it was an earthquake and went to get under your desk or in a doorjamb or whatever, it was over.

Does anyone know if it was felt in Sunnyvale or Sausalito?

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

i was watching the San Jose hockey game when it happened, the announcer thought, at first, it was the bldg jumping from the crowd...but they learned it was a quake.

yeah, if you're in a good safe place, on steady ground..medium sized quakes like that are good fun...like a roller coaster.

By Platypus on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

Yes. It's only when you're in ancient houses built out of big slabs of metal that you become concerned.

That said, I'm a big fan of earthquakes. I think there should be more of them. They keep tantalizing me in the chron with articles about how we're supposed to be due for a big one, but it never happens.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:00 pm:

We felt it on the ninth floor of the dorms here at SJSU.

It was Orshi's first earthquake, and Heather (my Heather? Still not sure on that one) didn't feel a thing. She was climbing down from her bunk when it happened. She actually thought we were making fun of her when Orshi asked if that was a quake while she climbed down.

It was fun. Nothing big, but I still did my ritual since the 1989 quake. Feet firmly planted on the floor, hushed up, to make sure that it's a quake. I do that when the cable goes out, too, because the cable went off in '89 before we even felt the shaking.

Anywho. Not a big deal for us. Our building is supposed to be earthquake resistant.

LS

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:13 pm:

it was felt in sunnyvale and sausalito.

it was apparently felt from gillroy to guernville.

my heather, paco. mine. mine mine mine.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

nobody owns any heathers around here. you cannot own a heather. heathers are free.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

it wasn't earthquake drill, it was hurricane drill.

they used to make us go to a room made of brick walls and no windows, located in the center of the school - usually the projector room for films or slides. all the kids had to sit down crosslegged or on your knees - hip to hip - facing the wall with your head between your legs and your hands cupped behind the back of your head.

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:16 pm:

thank you agatha

By Christopher on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

Sounds like the hilarious recommendations from the Atomic regulatory commision (Now the NRC) to "Duck & Cover!". When the sirens come on, all the little kiddies go out into the hallway, face the wall, and curl up. Ostensibly this was for protection, but in reality it was to make for a more efficient mop up.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:41 pm:

we had tornado drills. only one real situation that i recall in which i was at my elementary school until 5 in the evening. the threat was so great, we couldnt leave.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

i never remember having a tornado drill in texas. and i've had one touch down so near to me i coulda pissed on it.

they have no regard for your safety in this state.

By eri on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:57 pm:

Used to have earthquake drills, and then didn't do the stuff during the earthquake. I remember the LA quake in 84'. I was on crutches (sprained ankle) and trapped between the music window (almost the entire wall of the building was window) and the brick wall we used to play handball on. The window was shaking all over the place and my crutches were hammering into the ground like jackhammers. I thought it was funny. The quake didn't scare me. I was pissed though, because they made me walk to the front area between the classrooms, then all the way to the back of the property, and then noticed electrical wires (not broken but above us) and made us walk all the way back to the front between the buildings again. All of the teachers were crying and turning on radios and shit and all I wanted to do was stop going all over the fucking place on crutches. I still laugh when I think about it.

Never had a hurricane drill. Never had a tornado drill, though we had a tornado touch down 2 miles away, twice, once my sister was freaking out and crashed in my apartment bringing all her worldly goods down (I had a basement apartment at the time) and my Mom was driving home from the feed store where the damned thing hit. The second time, the sirens kept going off all night scaring Hayley half to death, but it hit on the other side of the Kansas City River at a car dealership 1 mile from my Grandmother's apartment. Grandma's power was out for a week and a half.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:37 pm:

(your welcome, heather)

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

MY Heather. As in MY street. MY town. MY country. MY world.

I don't own them.

But they're still mine.

LS

By Antignone on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

You ain't gonna get anywhere, LS.

But you're idealistic about women folk. Keep trying. :)

By Spider on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 09:33 am:

My momma was born and raised in Nebraska. She had plenty of tornado drills and saw a few twisters with her own eyeballs. 40 years later she still has nightmares about them.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 10:50 am:

I lived in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri.
    I have been through 6 (?) tornados.
    Once in Kansas, it was litteraly across the street. we lived in the country. It blew a few shingles off of our roof, but not much else.
    The sound of the drains, that is what I remember the most. The sucking sound.
    I remember when I was in the first grade and we were in nebraska. The sirens went off in middle of the night. my mom, my brother, our cats and dogs all went into the basement. we had mattresses, blankets and flash lights down there, and a battery operated radio. but my dad stayed upstairs and watched the news reports on tv.
    Just a couple of years ago, Eri and I lived across the street from a siren. One night at like 3am it went off and shook the house. we took the girls downstairs and waited for twenty minutes.
    When it was over, the cats were pissed because we did not take them with us.

By LoneStranger on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 06:51 pm:

Thanks Antigone!!1!1!11! I need all the support I can get!!111!!1!!11!!

I dunno. I am not sure if I really have any ideas about women. My ideas always seem to change depending on which one I am talking to.

I dunno.

I dunno.

I dunno.

LS

By The Watcher on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 06:30 pm:

God, I feel old.

I remember the old Duck And Cover drills.

Now that I know better, those old drills were really stupid. They couldn't protect you from anything.

If the blast didn't get you the radiation would.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact