Anybody Else Get These?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Anybody Else Get These?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

Greenhead Flies

We got them so bad on the boat last week that we had to cut the trip short. It was like Hitchcock's The Birds in miniature, and the more you killed, the more would appear.

By Nate on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 05:19 pm:

how often do you shower?

By patrick on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 06:05 pm:

all i know dougie is that when i was there last week, it was absolutely hot fucking muggy ass there. My god the subways were horrific. thank god the trains were A/Ced. perhaps the moisture/heat contributes.

However the drought here is bringing about ants and rats, so whata gonna do?

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 06:53 pm:

About once every 2 weeks. I've adopted the French method of hygiene.

Yeah, it's hot as fuck right now too, Patrick, and there's a thunderstorm going on right now that's supposed to cool things down, but it looks like a pretty half-hearted thunderstorm here. Did you see any subway rats while you were here?

By Nate on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:01 pm:

you don't happen to smell like dog corpse, do you?

By spunky on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:03 pm:

No. We get butterflies.
    Tons of them. People are bitching because they have to clean thier windshields off all the time...

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 12:29 am:

It's obscenely hot here. I don't understand how people live in the East Bay. It's hot and there's no breeze. Fuck.

Between the hours of eleven and three I collapse in a torpor, as naked as I can get, on the bed with all the windows open and a fan going.

No flies, sewer rats, or butterflies, though.

By Dougie on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 08:41 am:

Oftentimes, yes I do, Nate. And when I don't smell that way naturally, I use Givenchy's Chien Mort (Mélange Caniche Royal) Parfum Homme for a quick pick-me-up.

I saw a beautiful black and blue butterfly yesterday which I'd never seen, mostly black with some blue markings.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 11:45 am:

not this time dougie but i have in the past, seen those buggers crawling on the tracks.

every night i was there it thunderstormed in the evening. it blew in right around 6ish, especially last friday, the bottom fell out, lightning, thunder (havent seen or heard that in years) and then it would quit by 8 and the moon would come out.

last night sitting on our porch, around midnight, getting moon tans, look at the clear skies, watching 'shooting stars', bathing in the cool breeze i realized yet again, thinking of the shit in NYC, why i love god damn California.

What the hell you doin in Oakland platy?

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

Working. Experiencing life in an urban area. All that good stuff.

It's sort of odd--since the sky is orange, I never see the stars.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 01:50 pm:

Hot? In Oakland?

Girl, you is pampered, 'n' shit.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

CA had experienced a bit of a heatwave recently. It was in the 90s in the bay area. Not like 110 Dallas bullshit, but still hot.

By Platypus on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

For someone who's lived in the fogbelt for almost 10 years, oakland is fucking hot. And yes, on top of it, there's a heatwave.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 03:38 pm:

It was 100 degrees and gross yesterday in boston, but the sky broke open last night and we got thundershowers. It was one of thosw sweet summer storms that you wait for for days and days, and its so refreshing when it comes. It's in the 70s today.

By Dougie on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

Hmm, every time I've been to SF (all of 2 times) it's been cold as hell, especially down by the water. Good thing they have all those sweatshirt vendors down there, or I'd've freezed my cute little hiney off. Mark Twain did say that the coldest winter he'd ever spent was a summer in SF, no?

I'ts been nice and cool here the last couple of days after the thunderstorms Ophelia mentions above.

By Spider on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 04:23 pm:

Dougie....I...I think I love you.

By TBone on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 05:34 pm:

It's been getting crazy hot here in Montanney.

Had a record-breaker in Billings - 109. Missoula saw 104.

Doesn't even start to cool down until 10:00PM when the sun sets. My apartment is my cave.

It's arctic at work though. Have to bring a jacket or I get too cold to type.

The heat has backed down a little bit now. Thunderstorms in the mountains every night. Getting some smoke from the yearly fires, too. That helps make it a touch cooler.

By Platypus on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 10:55 pm:

Dougie--I live in the East Bay. Not SF. There's a significant difference.

By Dougie on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 08:28 am:

That's sweet Spider. Thanks.

Sorry Platypus, my mistake.

By Platypus on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

It's ok. Lots of people make it. California tends to be lumped into one big mass. But sometime you can come visit me over here and feel the difference, eh?

Although now that I've made such a big distinction, it's cloudy and cold here this morning. Go figure.

By Kalli on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:47 am:

for some reason the city i live in is always ten degrees hotter than the rest of the state. we're kind of stuck in this bowl and all the humididy gets trapped. there's been days this summer when i could barely breathe. thankgodferac. tomorrows supposed to be 97. im thinking about joining a nudist colony.

as fer the greenheads...we dont have those here..but we do have roaches. BIG ONES. in the summer if you walk down the sidewalk they're all over the place. they aren't dirty like the little ones that get into apartments..they're just bugs..but if you aren't used to em, they'll freak you the hell out.

lately there seems to be a bunch of cicadas too. i was all terrified of em when i first moved down south but now they're kinda growing on me. (not "growing" on me) cuz they're really loud at night and it kind of reminds you of where you live.

By eri on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:49 pm:

I remember the first time I heard Cicadas. I had just moved to Missouri and had never heard of them before. I was laying in my basement apartment and they were going on with their noises. I thought it was my parents bed creaking for like an hour. I felt like yelling at them to knock it off.

After a while their constant noise just puts you to sleep.

By Dougie on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:40 am:

I find their noise soothing. I get a nice mid-summer feeling hearing those and seeing fireflies at night. We've got carpenter ants out the wazoo though. I've sprayed with some Raid stuff around the foundation, but I'll probably have to have somebody come out and do it professionally.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact