Rene

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Rene
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:45 am:

Rene stepped up to us while we were in the will call line. Black hair with short bangs and a cute spray of freckles across her nose and red, red lipstick over little teeth. She was wearing a black little zippered coat with the zipper just far enough down to show the smooth flesh beginnings of a nice set of tits. This is what I notice first.

“I’ll give you $200 for a ticket.” she said. We all stood there looking at her, not knowing what to say. There were five of us total, four guys and a gal. Ween doesn’t come around often and I had been looking forward to this show for some time now and, damn. $200 is a good deal over the $30 I spent on my ticket. And I hadn’t worked in over six months. I glanced at my old roommate and saw his eyes rolled back and brain ticking.

“What?” someone managed to say. Rene looked like she was waiting for someone to request further clarification. She stepped up closer to us; she joined our group. On the curb a girl stood watching us. The girl Rene had been standing with before she approached us. This girl had a t-shirt with football jersey style numbers on it and a slit at the neck, all stretched by huge tits. This is what I notice first.

“I’ll give you $200 for a ticket.” repeated Rene. “I stole a car to get here. I don’t even know how to drive. I’ll probably lose my job because of this. I drove all day and now I find out it is sold out.”

“Where’d you come from?” asked my old roommate.

“Long Beach. I don’t even know how to drive. I stole my neighbor’s car. I’ll probably get arrested when I get back.” She was talking like the meth was dripping down the back of her throat. I could tell my old roommate’s mind was still turning this one over and over. He looked at me.

“Would you mind if I sold her my ticket?” he asked. Rene’s eyebrows jerked up. “I mean, I don’t know. I really want to see this show. But, $200.”

“I don’t care, man.” I replied. “I mean, it’s your ticket.” He pondered it for a minute. I got caught taking another peek at her cleavage. She gave me half a smile, looked back at my old roommate, raised her eyebrows again.

“I need to see them." she said. "I always hear about the shows late. I need to get in. I just left work today. I said I was feeling sick and they said if I left I’d get fired and I just left. I’ll…”

“Ok, yeah.” he interrupted her. “I’ll sell you the ticket.”

“Ok. It’s a deal then.” she smiled and extended a small, pale hand. It looked soft and fragile. My old roommate reached out and gave her a good blue collar handshake. Her eyes were lit with something. Joy or meth or fire or something. I looked over to the girl with the numbers across her rack. She was watching us and smiling. Rene produced a silver flask from somewhere, took a swig and offered it to my old roommate.

“You might want to wipe it off.” she said. “I’m not dirty or anything. Some people are just like that. I wouldn’t be offended.”

“I don’t give a fuck.” he said, taking a swig without wiping the flask. We all stood in silence for a few minutes. The will call line moved slowly forward, everyone shuffle stepping a few feet every minute or so.

“Well,” she said, “this line looks like it is going to take forever. I’m going to take off and come back in a bit. I love you. Tonight, I love you.” A look of worry washed over my old roommate’s face briefly, quickly consumed by his standard boyish composure. Rene started walking away, then turned and added, “But if you disappear, I’ll find you. I’ll find you and stab you.” Her eyes didn’t carry the look of mirth you’d expect with a statement like that. She looked really serious. Then she melted into the crowd down the street. We stood in silence for a long time.

“Now I just want to see the show.” my old roommate said. “I want her to never come back and I just want to see the show.”

“You’re going to get shanked, man.” I said.

“Shit, I know. I don’t think she was kidding.” he replied.

“I think she went around the corner to earn your $200.” someone said. We all laughed uncomfortably.

“Hugs for nugs.” someone else said.

“Yeah, a hug with no hands.” came the reply. The laughs became less uncomfortable. Conversation returned to normal. The line seemed to be moving a little faster. I looked over and my old roommate was shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

“I don’t have any medical insurance.” he said.

“I do, man," I replied. "I’ll step in front of the blade while you run.”

“When we get out of the show, I’ll take off on my own.” he said. “She’ll expect us to be together. I’ll just disappear.”

“What if she gets into the show? If she sees you in there, you’re getting stabbed.” I said. I realized I wasn’t being helpful. He just looked at me.

“I wonder if she meant $200 in cash or in services?” someone asked. Someone else laughed.

“Hugs for nugs.” someone said.

We never did see Rene again.

By sarah on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:58 am:

yeah, but how was the show?

those boys did a rockin set at the ACL fest. they closed with You Fucked Up. after seeing them i wished i had gotten tickets for their late show at stubb's, but then i would have missed franti, and that turned out to be my very favorite set of the whole festival.

By TBone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:00 pm:

They're coming to Missoula and I was stupid and lazy and it sold out. I guess I'm going to have to stab someone to get in.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

Went to see Lucinda Williams with my girlfriend a week ago.

We were standing in a croud of about 200 people in front of the small stage. Lots of lesbian couples and rednecks, a volatile mix. My girlfriend's just over five feet tall, so she found a spot near the front. I'm 6'4" with broad shoulders, so I got into a low crouch behind her so all the short people near the front could see the show.

There's something about rock shows and crowds that does something to me. I'm usually a calm kind of guy, but being in a big croud, all packed shoulder to shoulder, puts me on edge. Also, I'm very protective of my girlfriend, so those two factors just mixed.

She's about an hour late, but finally Lucinda started her set. A few minutes into it a couple of the rednecks started fighting. The crowd made room for them, but it crushed everyone in closer. They had the courtesy to stop and take it outside, though. Lucinda played on.

About half way through I saw a guy muscling his way though the crowd, shouldering people aside. He was wearing a thick sweatshirt with a hood. (It's about 100 degrees in this packed club.)

Trouble.

He passed in front of my girlfriend, who was grooving obliviously to her favorite Lucinda tune. I pulled her back a bit, so the thug could pass.

She got pissed off and pushed him. Hard.

He turned around and yelled, "Who pushed me?"

I'm thinking, "Oh, fuck..."

So I stood up all the way from my crouching stance. I didn't face him straight on, though, but mostly away. I turned my head to my shoulder and looked at him through the corner of my eye. I figured that if I faced him full on he'd just take it as an invitation to fight, and he might have a weapon under that sweatshirt, and he was obviously trying to start something, and etc, etc, etc...

It's funny how all of that flashes through your mind.

So I just sat there and took long, deep breaths, waiting for the first twitch.

"Who fuckin' pushed me?!"

My girlfriend just keeps dancing...

Lucinda just keeps singing...

The guy stands there for a moment, then...walks away...

By patrick on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:53 pm:

i hate shit like that.

i hate it when large gatherings like that get all aggro and shit.

nico is the first to act all ballsy and shit.

she doesnt get it through her cement-reinforced head that im the one going to get a beating, not her, if she opens her mouth and looks for trouble.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

I think that's part of female programming.

1) Get your guy in trouble.
    2) See how he handles it.

They just can't help it. :)

By sarah on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

lucinda was the most boring set i saw at ACL fest. she's real talented and i dig a lot of her songs, but man oh man is she boring to see live.

oh, except for when in the middle of one of her songs she forgot the lyrics and stopped playing and just started cursing up a storm, saying something along the lines of:

"i just fucking fucked up this fuckin song. fuck. because i fuckin took too much fuckin acid." except i'm probably leaving out a few fucks.

By semillama on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

My friend played with her on the tour before this one. He had a great story about one of the other band members trying really hard to pick up one of the groupies that obviously was only interested in Lucinda.

Apparently she (the groupie) really wanted to take naked pictures of Lucinda, and I gather Lucinda was real into it.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:38 pm:

During her set she dedicated one song to her boyfriend, who was offstage. After the song he came out and kissed her. Geekiest pudgy fellow I've ever seen. Made me proud. :)

By Hal on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 07:28 am:

Nate...

I love you.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact