Common Sense in the Workplace...fact or myth?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Common Sense in the Workplace...fact or myth?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:49 pm:

OK, You guys know my family's situation. For many years I was a stay at home mom with a special needs child........my hubby paid the bills. He got laid off and in finding another job took a paycut, and I went back to work. Shortly thereafter both kids were in school all day so it was no big deal (me working again).

I must say that I love what I do at my job. Especially the Human Resources aspect of it. I mean, I am the one calling people about potential jobs, they get happy. I call them back for the next interview. I get the fun part of the process. I answer the phones, type reports (helping me feel less computer ignorant), plan meetings & order awards.

I work 26 hours a week so I still feel like I have a fair amount of time with the family. Sometimes I am rushed, but it isn't that bad.

So I get a call at 11:12 am today from the school. Micki got sick, has to come home.....I am supposed to leave for work in a half an hour. Short timing.....this sucks. So I call Spunky, and he says he'll pick her up from school and bring her home on his lunch break (at 11:30).

I call work to tell them of the situation and offer ideas on how to cover my shift while I am not there. I know it is short notice and expect my boss to be somewhat put out by that.

Boy oh boy was I mistaken. He was beyond put out and full on into raging pissed (for the suit that he is). During the course of our conversation he says "Well can't your husband take off work to watch her?" This is where the common sense thing gets me. My husband makes the money that pays the bills. I make the money that supplies the luxuries (gym membership, eating out, movies etc). So when a kid comes up sick, and someone has to call into work to take care of the kid, who would be the candidate to do that? Of course it is me. He can't risk his paycheck over taking off of work for this and he did do that the last two times the kids got sick. If one person has to call into work and potentially get into trouble for it, it's going to be the one with the expendable income. That's me. That's not news either. It's not like I hid that fact from my boss. He knows that this job is just to help ease finances from my husband until he finds something better.

Sorry, just venting. Just thought, I have been there six months, shown up to work sick, was late once cuz of flooding and now I call in ONCE because my baby is sick and he gets all crazy about it. I did offer to go to work and have Micki do homework in the office. It's not like I didn't offer to be there.

I was just suprised by my boss getting so upset that I have to take care of my child, all but insting that Trace risk his job to do it, knowing that I only make $220 a week. I mean where is the sense in that?

By patrick on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

You have sick/personal/vacation time with your job? im suspecting because its not full time, you might not.

shit happens. i wouldnt worry about it. ive had to do that recently with my part time job, which is retail. they may not like it but if they think for one minute that i would ever put them above my daughter, they are seriously mistaken.

By eri on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:20 pm:

I was hired on and was told that I would be paid through at temp agency (for payroll purposes only) until there was a permanent opening on the books for the position.

The opening was posted in August. I put in my permanent application in early September.

When you are permanent then you accrue vacation hours based on time worked. And there are full benefits.

I haven't heard a word on my application, no one has said a single word. I am still getting paid through the temp agency (and believe me it is definately payroll only) after 6 months. I don't mind really. It isn't THAT important to me. It's just that there should be some understanding and logic.

If I was perm, then I would have vacation time available. But I'm not. I don't. I still have to take care of my daughter.

BTW, how is Eva doing? Part time job? Lots must have changed while I was away at work.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:33 pm:

well yeah.

im a single dad.

i work 7 days a week.

the baby mama moved out and into a studio to pursue her fashiondreams. lives with a sweater boy "work partner".

otherwise, eva is brilliant man, absolutely brilliant.

By Gee on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 04:57 pm:

eva stays with you, doesn't she, Patrick?

as far as reasons to work hard go, a little baby girl has to be a good one. do you end up getting to spend much time with her after all that work?

By Gee on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

also, sometimes I have to call into indigo at the last minute and tell them I can't come in because someone at the university has asked me to stay late. although I take both jobs seriously in the sense that I have a job to do in both places, and I want to be responsible, the university takes Way more importance in my life because it's responsible for paying the bulk of my bills.

as a result, I think some of the indigo managers do not like me as much as they should. honestly, who can waste time caring?

By eri on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 05:05 pm:

I did the single mom thing when Hayley was about the same age as Eva. I was working full time and going to college full time. I had precious little time with Hayley in comparison to the later years after I remarried.

Not encouraging you to remarry or anything like that. You know that your life is up to you and what you want. I do KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that Eva is your main priority, and has been since her birth. I have been nothing but proud to see you that way Patrick. You are a good father, and good parents are hard to come by in this day and age.

Sorry to hear about Momma. Hope you're doing well. Glad Eva's doing well. She's an adorable little girl.

You know, if you ever need anything, whatever we can do we will.

And I know it is hard working 7 days a week, but I'm sure you know that Eva is worth it, I don't need to tell you that.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 05:28 pm:

no gee, eva destruction spends half the time in moms custody and half in mine. though this week baby mama is in china on business or something or whatever.

she goes to day care

the weekend job is ideally a temporary scenario as Im hounding every god damn decent photographer in LA to hire me a few times a month to assist them, in which id make more in one day, than I do in a weekend at the retail photo supply job.

its a real bitch and no, i dont have the amount of time i want with her, but am working my ass off to change that.

By Agent D on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 02:23 am:

Eri, I am sorry to hear about getting caught up with sitituation.Whatever if it is a full time or part time job, not all job are created equal. I have experience enough.At my old job in Chicago, there was factory,if you were a minute late, you get a write up!, no question about it. We all were told to keep place clean! a small speck of dirt or litter and youre in big trouble! I remember a bad experience in which it wasn't my fault, it was the guy at second shift, as you see, when it was almost end of my first shift, took care of my dept, i meant the floor cleaned up!!!!!!!!! and got everything ready for the guy on second shift. When he was done. and the next day, the big boss guy joe before my first shift begin, and his ass fuck just showed right in my face asking me to keep the work place clean and all I saw was a few paper clutter on floor, and I told him," it was the guy on second shift". And guess what? He said " I don't wanna to hear about that,and all I was asking everybody to keep it clean" I agree with his "Desidero's Asshole" to keep it clean,Damn fuck I did fucking that holier than thou rtc Industries' fag ass floor cleaned.Fucker! if you wanna see rtc floor so fucking squeaking clean, Please see WWW.WKarch.com/RTC/rtc.htm. You'll please excuse my english...Man when it was a bad memory, it surely pissed me off man.

By agatha on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 04:01 pm:

It's been a while since we heard about RTC. It's kind of comforting sometimes to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Rock on, Agent D.

By AgentD on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 12:16 am:

Yeah right!! Pull out your cock and rock on!!!!!!
    Fuck You RTC Industries !!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

By Mel on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 11:01 pm:

I really sympathize with how you guys feel. I was just reading this and thinking how much that applies to how things are going for me. I am a single Mom and my son had a stroke when he was a baby and has health problems. I took a part time job at a close store for some extra money and I had to quit because my boss was making me miss extremely important medical appointments which I told her about in advance. The was $6.65 an hour, which is so not worth it at all. My boss is pregnant and I told her that maybe she should think about how it would feel if her baby has health problems. Some people not only lack common sense, but general compassion. Hang in there guys!!

By The Watcher on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:30 am:

Is there any Common Sense anywhere today?

By Dr Pepper on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:38 pm:

The Watcher, No...

By jaq on Sunday, November 1, 2009 - 03:46 pm:

Canadian Clubber say " I agree with his "Desidero's Asshole" to keep it clean,Damn fuck I did fucking that holier than thou rtc Industries' fag ass floor cleaned.Fucker! if you wanna see rtc floor so fucking squeaking clean, ...Man when it was a bad memory, it surely pissed me off man."

}

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact