Would Someome Please Explain Why The Fuck...

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Would Someome Please Explain Why The Fuck...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By RC on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 11:35 pm:

Would someome please explain why the fuck Hummer is marketing itself to KIDS??! I've seen 2 new commercials in the past week featuring KIDS driving Hummers. WFT izzat about?

First of all, kids can't drive. And no, I don't buy the 'Building Brand Loyalty Early' theory. Commercials cost a bundle to make & air. It makes no sense for a company to spend $$ marketing its product to consumers who aren't able or legally allowed to use that product. (When they're pushing cigaretts to kids, at least the cigarette companies KNOW kids actually can go out & buy them from unscrupulous store clerks.)

These commercials featured little kids, no more than 7 or 8 years old. It'll be another 8 or 9 YEARS before they're old enough to drive. By then, Hummers might not even be on the market. Something far cooler & (hopefully) far more environmentally-friendly will be the Hot New Car.

I fucking HATE HUMMERS! It takes all the restraint I can muster to prevent myself from keying them in parking lots (because they take more than one space to park in! Bastards!) or buzzing them on the road. IT'S A FUCKING MILITARY VEHICLE -- IT HAS NO BUSINEES ON CIVILLIAN STREETS! If you think it's okay to drive a gas-chugging behemoth of a military vehicle around to do your grocery shopping & drop your kids at soccer practice, then I think it's reasonable for me to shoot at your Hummer with a shoulder-mounted missle!

Trying to peddle Hummers to kids is just... sleazy. And stupid.

- RC

By Hal on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 11:14 am:

Because kids are marketable. When those little bastards grow up, what is the first car they are going to want?

And besides, if the kid wants it and the parent CONSIDERS it, then its a done deal. Either way Hummer is marketing for the future.

Assholes.

By eri on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 12:53 pm:

You know, that's so true. My kids are like little consumer mongers. Especially Hayley. She'll watch the commercials and then tell me what I should buy. It's so annoying. Such a little consumer.

Maybe they made the commercials so that the kids will continue to tell the parents what to buy.

That just pisses me off.

By Dodi on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 01:46 pm:

I love Hummers!

By agatha on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 01:59 pm:

I'm glad someone besides me gets the urge to damage those "cars." It makes me feel like a bad person just for considering it. Someone I work with drives a hummer to work every day, and I get that urge every single time I see it.

By Platypus on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 03:01 pm:

I kind of have this urge to pee on them, especially the yellow ones.

SUVS in general tend to spur feelings or irritation and rage, but the hummer, in particular, does make me want to do something violent.

Gas is 2.35 a gallon here for the low octane...

By wisper on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 12:29 am:

That's funny, because as a child the only car i could think of wanting was a Hummer.

But that was back when they were only used by the army, and unobtainable for the average consumer.

By RC on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 12:44 am:

But kids are pestering their parents for kid-things -- toys, dolls, video games, SpongeBob pjs. (Where is PJ anyway -- does he still come around?) That doesn't make me happy-happy, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate.

No little kid is gonna pester their parents for a Hummer. Even if they did, a parent would have to be insane to decide to buy a car because their 8-yr-old thought it was 'cool.'

I just don't get why they're targeting children. 14 & 15-yr-olds, maybe --they're nearly old enough to drive. But the 8-yr-old will definitely NOT still want a Humvee by the time he's 16 -- there will be a much cooler car available by then.
    There's no chance to build brand loyalty with an 8-yr-old.

Plus, with the smog problems in LA & the price of gas in Cali overall, I can't believe Gov. Ah-nuld Change-The-Constitution-So-I-Can-Be-Your-1st-Foreign-Born-President Schwarzenegger has the gall to OWN 6 HUMMERS -- SIX, DAMMIT! That's BEYOND Conspicuous Consumption -- it's Automobile Megalomania! WTF was Maria thinking when she let him bring the 1st one home?

Isn't the govenor supposed to set an example for the people of his state in every way possible? At the very least, isn't he supposed to care about his constitutents enough to NOT buy a half-dozen of the most mileage-poor, pollution-spewing, death machines (& if you get hit by a Hummer, trust me -- you're DEAD!) he can find? Or does he have special air on tap for his kids to breathe?

"It takes Coolio three tanks of gas (about 65 gallons total) to get from L.A. to San Francisco, according to a CBSNews.com report. The same report cited that it took Arnold Schwarzenegger, now owner of 6 Hummers, several major blockbusters to convince AM General to sell the initial Hummer to consumers in 1992. CBSNews.com reporter Paul Wilborn says that Schwarzenegger evaded a question about the H2’s fuel economy, estimated by GM at around 10-13 mpg. Instead, Schwarzenegger responded that the H2 is “an incredibly precise and forceful machine.

According to another report by CBSNews, “Hummer dealers are selling out their inventory with no discounts, rebates or special financing.” But that’s not entirely true. There are hefty government tax breaks on “business” purchases of the H1, totaling nearly $90,000. It is all part of the Bush administration’s economic stimulus program. Don’t ask me more about this one, I don’t get it, either.”

http://tinyurl.com/54lf9

But I guess I really should have no sympathy for a state that was dumb enough to put an actor in the govenor's mansion -- TWICE.

- RC

By agatha on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 01:32 pm:

I know kids that want a Hummer. These are hippy kids, too.

By wisper on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 02:35 pm:

kids know nothing about fuel consumption and logic. They only know that hummers are cool looking and come in bright colours.
    So they want one.

If only some adults would grow out of this mindset.

By eri on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 04:48 pm:

When Trace and I talk about things like purchasing cars, what we would look at in a house, etc....Miss Hayley ALWAYS has to offer her advice. When we're all at the car lot, she's full of advice. She's gotta make sure that the parents make the right decision, because we apparently aren't intelligent enough to figure this stuff out on our own. It's frustrating as hell. And guess what.....she's 10, so close to the age of the kids they are marketing to......

I would NOT concider buying a hummer. I was at the nail salon about a month ago getting my nails done and this chick pulled up in a H2, and then went into the salon. I was just shooting her daggers. I was being a total bitch and TRYING LIKE MAD to keep my mouth shut. I swear my tongue was bleeding from biting it so much. It turned out that she was a very nice person, very sweet. I ended up feeling so bad about all my ugly thoughts that had gone through my head.

By Dodi on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:50 pm:

You see eri, that's why I like you. You seem to find the good in people and I admire that about you. Most people, would have continued to be upset and it could have ruined their day, but you looked beyond that. :)

By V on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 04:06 pm:

Hi Dodi...

By Dodi on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 04:29 pm:

Hey!!

By V on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 06:17 pm:

...civilization at last. :)

By Dodi on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 06:34 pm:

:):):):):):):):)

By TBone on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 06:56 pm:

I used to want a hummer because I thought they were cool. I'll never buy one, of course. They're ludicrous.

But it would have come in handy over the Thanksgiving weekend. When I drove up to my mother's cabin, the ground was snow-free and dry. Saturday night, 6 inches of snow fell. When I tried to leave in the morning, I slid most of the way down the zig-zag road. I couldn't stop, and I lost it toward the bottom because I was just sliding too fast. It's a miracle that I didn't just ram head-on into one of the many, many big rocks around the road, but I went rocketing into a rocky gully. A tree stump tore out my A/C. My front bumper got its ass kicked, and I'm sure there's all kinds of damage to the undercarriage.

Nobody was hurt, except that my back aches -- probably from tensing up so much during the wild ride.

Ugh. I'm driving my mother's gas hog Jeep until it's fixed.

By V on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:40 pm:

You had rear wheel drive?...in London,the first cars to get smashed in snow or ice is B.M.W.

By TBone on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 02:01 am:

It was neither rear wheel drive nor a BMW.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:54 am:

Tbone!!! I'm glad you're okay. How scary.

By lapis on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:28 am:

Wow.

You must've been terrified.

Thank goodness you're okay.

By TBone on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:34 am:

Thanks, agatha. We were really pretty lucky. If we had stayed on the road for another 20-30 feet, the car almost certainly would have rolled.

I wasn't there when it was towed, but my mom took pictures. It's not apparent in the pictures how steep the hill is because she's shooting uphill. Also, my step-dad plowed the road after the accident. He felt really guilty about not plowing before.

Apparently the winch broke when the car was partway on the road, so they had to drive it back onto the road from there.

By dave. on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

cute doggies.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 04:33 pm:

heh

both poochies appear to be thinking/saying "you're fucked man"

glad the only casualty was a bumper and a/c which you wont be needing for a while. scary shit man.

By TBone on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:05 pm:

Yeah, it took 24 hours for my mom to get good and worked up about it. My fiance and my brother were in the car with me, so all her eggs were in one basket and that basket went careening down a rocky, snow-covered mountain.

The insurance people were incredibly friendly. I've never called an 800-number and talked to such pleasant people, ever.

By kazu on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:11 pm:

I'm glad you are okay. It's cute to see you say "fiance"

By TBone on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 01:26 am:

It's weird to say it. I usually pronounce it fiy-ants to take the edge off.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact