USMC

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: USMC
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 03:40 pm:

for some time i've been dogged by the question of what to do with my life. it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that office careers just aren't going to cut it. i can't fucking stand the cube farms, the florescent lighting, the desk bound inactivity. i've been tossing around getting my teaching credential, but the more i think about it the less i'm inspired to go for it. can you see me in a 'multicultural pedagogy' class? fuck no.

writing is always present. i love writing, and i'd love to write as a career, but it's so unlikely. writers just don't make money anymore. publishing is such a trial. people don't really read. it's a sad state of affairs.

so, i decided to join the Marines. i started by talking extensively with my brother, who's been in the Marines for a decade. he told me a lot about his experiences, what i should expect, what opportunities are available, how i should deal with the recruiters. what MOSes i might want to pursue.

the thing is, i want to see war. these wars we're fighting, that we're sure to fight in the near future, are the most important events of our generation. i don't want all of my opinions to be formed through heresey. i want to be there, see it, fight in it. i want to see combat and know the effects of it. i want to feel what it means ot kill a man who is trying to kill you.

i've always thought of my life as the sum of my experiences. for a long time i took risks simply to increase the opportunity for experience. good or bad, it is all experience, it is all breadth in knowledge of existence.

i signed last tuesday. i fly to San Diego on the 17th. i enter boot camp on the 18th of April.

i still haven't told my parents. my mom is going to flip out. i'm sad about that, but i have to live my life.

By patrick on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 04:00 pm:

april fools

By spunky on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 06:41 pm:

I hope so.

By patrick on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 07:48 pm:

probably not, but i remain optimistic.

By moonit on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

The Pandyr really wants to join the Marines after reading some book. Unfortuntly though, you need a green card, and the chances of that are so freakin slight, it won't happen.

By moonit on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

He just told me its because our army is crap and in the Marines you get real guns.

By moonit on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

He just told me its because our army is crap and in the Marines you get real guns.

By wisper on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

o.O

By agatha on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 09:49 pm:

Is he shitting me? He's got to be shitting me.

I'm frightened.

By jack on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:16 pm:

i, for one, applaud nate the killing machine.

By V on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:26 pm:

...so posts (gay) jack.

By V on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:34 pm:

By V on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH

By Antigone on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:08 am:

What's your major malfunction, mister?

Want to see war? Join the Peace Corps.

By D on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:17 am:

Antigone, who are you referring to?

By jack on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:35 am:

he means LEGBA. you know LEGBA, don't you?

By Antigone on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 09:55 am:

Is that like SMEGMA?

By jack on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:16 pm:

related to CHUPACABRA

By D on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

Well, jack, i thought they invented smoking tobacco almost 4oo years? well for that old skinny man, he smoked tobacco using bamboo
    as pipe,how long ago did they invented smoking tobacco??? how interesting, Uhmm, never heard of that before.....and Antigone, what does smegma has anything to do with legba?oh i get this, jack, i think antigone want something for for you to educate yourself about smegma.lol! Whoooo ,LOL!

By jack on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:05 pm:

you're thinking!

By D on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:07 pm:

Antigone, jack, the noch ness monster as well as chupacabra well as space alien do not exist, I know you have been reading to much book in which brought you into wrong sense of perception. They all do not exist, your too feeble, but forgive me for saying that.It is a fool.

By jack on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:08 pm:

i do not exist. who are you talking to?

By Nate on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:09 pm:

i don't want to join any corps. i have a serious problem with authority.

april's fool pranks are stupid. i realized that this year.

when i was little, maybe seven or eight, i ran out of my bedroom screaming that my bed was on fire. my mom just about killed me.

By Platypus on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:12 pm:

Moonit he can marry me if he wants a green card, I need the tax break. Tell him also to read "Generation Kill." If you guys can't get it in NZ, I'll mail you a copy.

The airforce wants my nuts pretty badly. I don't know why since I don't believe I meet their health requirements. Although the temptation to get a pilot's license is great, I think I'm going to resist.

For now.

Nate, I want to know more about this. It's a pretty major life shift.

By on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 01:41 pm:

Hey jack, why don't you join the army, so proudly that you can be a Lean Mean Fudge Packing Machine! Bwhahahahahahahaha rotflmao!

By Dougie on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 03:39 pm:

So wait, me confused. Did you enlist Nate, or not?

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday with that old Army advertising line, "An Army of One," which has got to be one of the stupidest slogans I've ever seen or heard.

By semillama on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 05:05 pm:

Maybe the slogan is really a prediction.

By agatha on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 11:24 pm:

He's fucking with us, people!

(I kind of half believed you, Nate, you jerk...)

By moonit on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 03:10 am:

Platy, don't think we can get it here. He wants to know when the date is. I want to know how many reeses I get as payment for your tax break ;)

By Platypus on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

Hell we'll just buy the Reese's factory.

By NYyankeeboi on Thursday, November 3, 2005 - 05:47 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact