this is bullshit, but not novakian bullshit

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: this is bullshit, but not novakian bullshit
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 02:23 pm:

this little white box used to be the cure to writer's block. or, at least, an easily accessible vessel for babble. removing the blockage is a shedding of inhibitions, isn't it?

the plumber had big plumber hands. he was a young guy, early twenties, tall, blue eyes, an unfortunate hulk-hogan fu-manchu. i shook his hand and the interior monologue went meek and soft, murmured--i am white collar.

(my landscaper buddy told me blue collar guys know us white collar folk by our soft hands. as firm as your grasp may be, it's the skin that gives it away.)

he fixed the toilet leak. new gasket, bolted it down tightly; he said the flange should probably be replaced someday but not today. he said, "usually, fat people get this problem. they rock side to side on the toilet, getting their fat ass cheeks to seperate before they take their fat people shits. you don't look fat. is your girlfriend fat?"

i replied, "you're a good looking kid, you should fix your attitude. you're going to end up with a wife who sucks off the old man down the street, does meth with the neighborhood homeless dude and eventually cuts your dick off in the middle of the night with your pipecutter."

actually, i replied, "no."

he said, "oh, well...toilet's fixed. you can shit to your heart's content."

phone rang shortly after he left. a woman wanted to talk to fred macke. i told her, wrong number. we've had this number for over a year. fred's calls have been tapering off.

with the phone in my hand i decided to call waste management about the bill. $175, out of the blue.

well, nearly out of the blue. i should just pay it, but i'm an unethical son of a bitch. do you understand? no, of course not, you need the backstory.

we always figured the landlord covered garbage. the first garbage day we were there, we put the can out. it was an experiment. if they pick it up, the landlord must be paying garbage. if they don't pick it up, we call in and get service.

they picked it up. they picked it up for eleven months without ever hearing from us.

then, the wheel comes off the can. so she calls in and tells them. they tell her that there is no account at our address and ask her how long we've lived there. eleven months. they decide to back bill us six months.

take that pint glass down off the shelf. the one with ETHICS etched on one side. pour eight ounces of bourbon into it.

didn't they just cut us a deal? eleven months for the price of six? or did we just get the shaft?

that's the backstory. when we moved we hadn't gotten a bill from them yet. but the post office forwarded it, and i held it in one hand, with the phone in the other.

the guy is a nice guy and i try not to be a total asshole. i tell him that i'm willing to pay for service from the time she called (may) until the time we moved (june). he tells me some things:

1.) garbage is picked up regardless of whether you have an account or not.
    2.) they need proof of my move (a new rental agreement, proof of new phone service, etc.) to cancel the account earlier than today.
    3.) i'm stuck with the back billing.

i ask to talk to his supervisor. he issues a curt 'thank you' and drops me into hold music hell.

then, it as if the finger of god has slyly slipped from heaven to gently stroke my neatly shaved scroat. the hold music stops, and i'm issued, in a vaguely synthetic voice, a menu of options.

recording has been stopped...press one to restart recording, press pound to remove your satin panties, press two-three to play back your recording.

ok, i don't actually remember any of the options other than two-three. i press two-three. it's a voice mail. it's a voice mail from the guy to whom i was speaking intended for cheryl, his supervisor.

he's very polite, even behind my back. after i listen to the message, i flag it priority and send it on.

i find my way back to the operator. i ask her to send me over the cheryl. i leave cheryl a voice mail.

i'm starting to see that pint glass of bourbon in a different light. it is really half-full, isn't it. and regardless, i got garbage service, i should pay for it.

i blame her dad. at least a little. he's a vibrant jew. i don't mean that in a bad way. he gets on the phone with anyone and gets his way. early on, she told me she admired that in her dad.

so i've been working on this assertiveness. it works, too. i've gotten some shit done that i would have just let slide in the past.

like when directv missed their install date. she called me pissed off, she'd wasted four hours of her day waiting for the guy and he never showed. they called and rescheduled.

if hbo didn't play Six Feet Under constantly, we would have missed an episode. do you understand?

so i called directv back and said that wasn't acceptible. they offered a $20 missed-call credit. i ended up with that and free hbo for a year.

but in this case, with the waste management, they don't really owe me anything. they didn't fuck me over. they've actually been quite polite.

so cheryl calls me. the supervisor. she's firm but polite. she tells me that in city limits, garbage service is mandatory. i had no idea.

i tell her i didn't expect this bill out of the blue, and that i did get service so i really should pay for it. she tells me she'll split the difference.

well, it ends up being $65.

and now i'm in the new place.

and i know that garbage is getting picked up regardless of whether i have an account or not.

so fuck it.

By heather on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 03:18 pm:

the problem is that once you know you will pay in some way, you know?

though i suppose that's just "my belief system"

at the moment i believe in dsl and dvds because i hurt my back carrying stuff up five flights of stairs. people tryin to grow stuff on their windy little roof area. crazy.

i should get a cane and knock it into people's shins 'on accident.'

is sitting around making me cranky? PERHAPS.

By droopy on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 03:49 pm:

whether it's a bad toilet, garbage pick-up, whatever the hell heather's talking about, or a missed flight after a plane crash - anything that disrupts the smooth flow of your existence is a crime against you as a human being.

it's the american way.

By heather on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 04:52 pm:

i'm just saying that you don't get to pretend you don't know once you do... you'll have to pay for what you should pay for some way or another.

but maybe not.

talking about hurting my back was intended to be unrelated. unless everything is related. da?

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 05:24 pm:

i don't think karma necessarily applies to the capitalist system in a one-to-one relationship.

but who knows.

the whole thing about garbage service being mandatory bugs me.

i'll let it be mandatory. doesn't mean i'm going to pay for it.

By droopy on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 06:08 pm:

that's all i'm saying. don't take bullshit, karmic or capitalist.

By heather on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 06:49 pm:

i just don't understand why people getting paid to do their jobs is bullshit

if you don't want garbage service, just keep it in your house

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

that's what i'm telling you, heather. it doesn't matter if you use it or not, you're supposed to pay for it. it is mandatory.

By heather on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 07:42 pm:

i think the assumption is that you are going to use it, that there is no way that you are not going to make any garbage, and they don't want people dumping in odd places or having stuff pile up until a tragedy occurs.

By dave. on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 08:49 pm:

bring back the burn barrel!!

not for everyone, just for me. and nate.

again, this gets to the bullshit idea of ownership. you don't own the thing, you own the responsibility for the thing. i "own" a little chunk of earth here but i can't drill a well or install a septic system and bypass the municipal services. i can't even chop down my big, beautiful maple tree and sell it without approval from the city, which they would deny. i can't burn my garbage, or anything else. even though i do have a firepit. because fires are cool and make me feel good.

it's not that i want to do all these things, and i especially don't want everyone doing them. i approve all these regulations because they contribute to the greater good. my point is that, whatever you call it, it isn't the ownership that most people like to think it is.

By agatha on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

YOU ARE SO PUNK ROCK, DAVE. SUBVERT THE DOMINANT PARADIGM!

By dave. on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 09:41 pm:

suck me.

By agatha on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

come on in- I'm just sitting on the couch watching "Dead Like Me."

By Nate on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 11:37 pm:

well, that was uncomfortable.

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 12:12 am:

J

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 12:20 am:

everyone, broken drum remix. sweet!

baidu. sweet! wish i spoke chinese.

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 12:22 am:

aww, fuck. it's not the whole song.

well, find it on soulseek.

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 12:24 am:

aquarius is good, too. as is the boom bip remix. full songs. baidu. squirt!

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 12:26 am:

shazam!

you'd think i've never done this before.

By TBone on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 01:03 am:

Orange

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 01:17 am:

sixtyten

By TBone on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 01:22 am:

I've been listening to The Books a lot lately.

Eagle!

By dave. on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 01:51 am:

i just got the prefuse 73 remix of the books.

i love how alt hiphop is melding with electronica. s'why i love anticon.

By V on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 02:01 pm:

You love one of the Sorabjis?

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 03:19 pm:

By droopy on Saturday, August 6, 2005 - 03:34 pm:

i've gotta get speakers for this computer.

the dave/agatha mating ritual is just like i always imagined it.

By jack on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 10:33 am:

someone just gave me a books cd friday. hm.

By V on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 01:24 pm:

droopy,that you got ears for computer is good,I was going to send you ears from London to America,but you are on 125 volts,v is on 240 volts in London.

By V on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 01:58 pm:

...and v mis-reads your posting,too fast I went through,droopy, all our ears are 240 volts in England,it wont work in America,so v cant send you ears from my place,cant be done,just hope some kind Sorabji sends you speakers....and if none of you guys cant cant help out droopy,then most of you are crud,now v tends to think most of us get some form of feedback from Sorabji,so its about time we gave some help to droopy,dont y,all agree?

By patrick on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 07:01 pm:

someone just stole my one and only Erika Badu cd out of my car amongst other items that i apparently dont really own.

twice, in one week some cocksucker felt the authority to go into my car without my consent. Thankfully no windows were broken. Thankfully there was no jizz, vomit, urine or feces in the car. Both times it was clearly the work of amateurs. They left the parking meter change, didnt even go into the trunk and left the stereo. The managed to steal my stereo face plate and remote control (of which I didnt even know i had until the first incident only because they cleaned out my glove box, and there at the bottom was this tiny remote.) However my stereo was completely in tact, just no face plate. Dumbasses.

The thing is, i work hard and I still struggle right now. That little bit of music or news took my mind off the odd rattles and thumps in my car. I didnt actually have to listen to how much the engine stuggles to get up the hills in LA and fret about the life remaining in this car. I could put in Nick Cave (they also gnabbed a handfull of burned Nick Cave discs too....fucking pricks!) or whatever and take my mind off the car. Now, all i hear is the car and I obsess over it. So, here I am, grateful for what little i have and it gets jacked by some cocksucker who will net about $3.50 for my shit.

After the second incident, i contemplated sleeping in the GF's truck in the drive next to the car with a pistol or a baseball bat. Can I tell you how much joy I would derive off smashing the knees of the motherfucker as he rifles through my glove box for a pack of matches? It makes me that angry.

It's been a bad week folks.

Sorry you got jacked for trash nate. Glad your shitter is good.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:59 am:

patrick, I'm sure it's little help to you, but you know we'll get you any CDs you lost...

By TBone on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:39 pm:

Damn, patrick. That really sucks. That kind of thing is so demoralizing.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:45 pm:

its totally a kick in the nuts.

my GF is gonna help with the nick cave stuff. i've sorta blocked out what else was in the case.

it seems you cant buy faceplates to stereos except on ebay which means they're probably stolen anyway. cocksuckers.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:57 pm:

its totally a kick in the nuts.

my GF is gonna help with the nick cave stuff. i've sorta blocked out what else was in the case.

it seems you cant buy faceplates to stereos except on ebay which means they're probably stolen anyway. cocksuckers.

I just got a phone call from LAPD. They wanna fingerprint the car. Apparently 87 Honda's a huge on the break in list.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:04 pm:

they want to fingerprint? they fucking care?

that's crazy.

careful, man. maybe they just want to come out and kick your ass for no good reason.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:21 pm:

yeah i was a bit surprised. at this point, i don't wonder if don't need a good ass kicking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact