quasipseudo

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: quasipseudo
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:44 pm:

Some sad excuse for an author recently asked for my friendship on goodreads. For whatever reason I approved his friendship. Well, really, for no reason.

I went and read a sample of his work and it is horrible. Reading him is like spending the afternoon tongue-kissing one of those grey-lipped, high-cheeked, rennfairian princesses who speak in thees and thous and smell of non-alcoholic mead and garlic and lady speedstick.

huh, i'm bleeding. i wonder how that happened.

So I took a look at his friends, which are full of authors. All these shitty authors, none know the other, just networking, marketing, trolling for people like me. Hey guys, sorry, I'm one of those arrogant, stick-up-the-ass, holier-than-thou kind of readers. I like dialog that sounds like the way people talk, except when it isn't supposed to, but trust me, where you're using dialog, it is supposed to sound like the way people talk.

Ok, ok, sure: when the omniscient crystal amulet is talking (through precision vibrations that generate voice-like harmonics within a human skull) to the attractive, feminine (yet muscular), deeply-conflicted, enraged, gentle, and transparently bisexual man-child, yes, then you do not need to write dialog that sounds like the way people speak. But you do need to at least remember the speaker is omniscient, and try to avoid every cliche since a bush caught fire and spoke to some dude in a cave.

ok. i'm bored with myself. my puppy is in the yard licking up the cayenne pepper that i sprinkled to discourage him from digging. my arm is bleeding. i didn't win the lottery last night. i drank too much coffee. i am full of vitamins. i have a pot roast in the slow cooker. i want to pee. i wish i could read more. i bought hills bros coffee because luke was using it in his diner on the gilmore girls. it really isn't that bad. i ordered 900 sqft of hardwood flooring, setting a new record for the most expensive materials i've ever purchased for a DIY project. i was listening to NIN 'hurt' and i realized that i no longer connect to that song at all. it comes from a time that i remember through brown beer-bottle glass. that's a cedar, that's a cyprus, that's an elm, that's a maple, that's a magnolia, that's an oak, and so is that, and so is that, and that's a pine i haven't identified. the rosemary is in bloom as is the manzanita. out front, daffodils have come up out of nowhere. green tongues from unknowns bulbs have risen everywhere. rosebushes almost always have blooms here. mossy rocks and wind chimes and a birdbath. the fog comes in heavy at night and drips from the trees.

i am going to plant blackberries on my property line, which may piss off my neighbors, but then again, i've never seen them within 200 yards of that fence.

and then again, blackberry pie.

By Nate on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:02 am:

speaking of thees and thous, i learned something new the other day.

those signs, Ye Olde Arsefuckerie, etc. The ye should be pronounced "The".

Because the 'y' comes from the printers' translation into printer-characters of the, now abandoned, letter 'thorn'.

thorn: Þ

That makes me naÞan.

By semillama on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 01:10 pm:

I had no idea that's the etymology of "ye" - knowing that makes me gleeful.

By Nate on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:07 pm:

I got a strange kick out of it, too. I'd never thought of the concept of letters once used but now abandoned by the english language.

So, apparently, if you are a "thuh" pronouncer of "the", you should be a "yuh" pronouncer of "ye".

By droopy on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:46 pm:

there's a story by h.p. lovecraft called "the case of charles dexter ward" where there are letters that are supposed to written the style of 17th century america. "ye" was always used as "the" and spelled like this (imagine the ³ pointing the other way): y³

By Nate on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 03:10 pm:

That appears to have been common shorthand in middle english. The script version of thorn looks a hell of a lot like Y. They would use thorn^e as shorthand for 'the', thorn^t for 'that'.

wikipedia on thorn

I've never read any lovecraft.

By droopy on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

i picked up collection of lovecraft stories a little while ago. maybe just to be middle-age crazy. he's an old pulp horror writer, if you don't know who he is. the stories are annoyingly overwritten, but at the end i find i enjoyed them - sort of like the way i like certain b-movies.

By Nate on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

are you interested in co-writing a novel with me?

By droopy on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:54 pm:

probably not. but the offer intrigues me. what kind of novel do you have in mind?

By Nate on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 05:30 pm:

i don't know, but if we wait much longer it is going to become awfully curmudgeonly.

By platypus on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:00 pm:

Did you know that the letter J was the last letter to be added to the English alphabet? That's why it's at the back of the typecase.

By Antigone on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 01:03 am:

You assholes better start co-writing that novel or I'll bring you into the same room and staple your dicks together.

By droopy on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:43 am:

first of all: don't assume having my dick stapled to nate's would be - for me - a bad thing.

as far as co-writing a novel -

i'm willing to try. i don't know what nate and i could accomplish, but at least i would have a framework to write something.

By Nate on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:08 am:

do you happen to have my email address? it's my first and last name @gmail.com. i don't want to put it up here.

By Spider on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:19 pm:

Did you know you pronounce "olde" (as in "ye olde times") as "oldy"? I did not know that and the dictionary's no help, but the folks on Mythbusters pronounce it that way so it must be true.

Or not.

Right?

By Nate on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:59 pm:

i think it is pronounced "old".

the people on mythbusters have that SF bayarea dorkununciation to them.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:16 pm:

Hi Antigone, I can't write anything for the novel book, because ,I have a writer block ....

By platypus on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:36 pm:

I was fairly certain that "olde" was an artificial construction, having read it in "Made in America." I was too lazy to look up the relevant passage, but according to the Online Etymology Dictionary: "Pseudo-archaic mock-antique variant olde is attested from 1927."

By Spider on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

British tosser dude uses it here.

By Dougie on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:15 pm:

You guys really should write something together. I'd be first in line to read it.

By droopy on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:31 am:

hmmm. when i wrote that last post, i was in the advance stages of vodka consumption. sober, i feel more trepidation.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:02 pm:

Ditto. Do it. Something should come from this whole ridiculous sorabji experiment, after all.

By agatha on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:06 pm:

And by the way, Nate, I just axed a bunch of people from my goodreads "friends" list for the very reason you wrote at the beginning of this thread. I decided that I am only going to be "friends" with people who make interesting book choices and/or have some connection to my life. No more craptastic authors pimping their sorry-ass books. I feel bad for them in some way, but it's their bed to lie in. Have you seen that one networky guy who always posts comments with alliteration and consonance? SO ANNOYING.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact