arky texture

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: arky texture
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 01:05 am:

this afternoon as i was rolling through the streets of downtown fort worth, i happened to pass the flatiron building. i don't think i ever paid much attention to it. but this time i stopped and looked it over for a minute; there were some revovations going on. a plaque embedded in a wall near me said it had been built in 1907.

when i got home i decided to see if i could find anything out about it on the web. it turns out it's a scaled-down replica of the flatiron building in new york (built 1902). maybe by the same architect. i always new i'd seen its shape before - a wedge turned on its side - but i didn't know where. our flatiron building only has 7 stories. there were supposed to be ten, originally, but the city ran out of money for the last three.

fort worth gets its name from general william jenkins worth, hero of the mexican-american war and a native new yorker. in 1849, he ordered ten forts to be built on the hill where downtown fort worth now sits. the forts were meant to protect the white settlers from being slaughtered my native americans who were hostile over the systematic invasion of their land. after ordering the forts built, general worth then rode to san antonio where he heroically died of cholera one month later.

at some point, william jenkins worth's body was brought back to new york and buried on-in-or-under a small island of land at the intersection of broadway and fifth street at the base of the original new york flatiron building.

maybe...one day...a drunken mark thomas will stagger over to that very spot, look down at the grave of william jenkins worth, and urinate on it.

By . on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 03:05 am:

LOL,good point.....

By ... on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

a couple of years ago man went to an nyc cemetery to visit his grandmother's grave site. when he got there he found a groundskeeper urinating onto the grave and into a flower vase that had been left there during the man's previous visit. the cemetery tried to pay him off to not go public with the story but the dude called the police and it became a minor news story.

the next day the front page of the New York Post read:

R.I.PEE

I laughed for days. Rest In Pee.

the Worth monument in Manhattan is pretty prominent. i've seen it but not for a long time. it is tall.

i read somewhere that the Flatiron is the only skyscraper in Manhattan that can be seen in its completeness (from top to bottom) from the street level. other tall buildings are so crowded among other buildings that only an aerial view allows one to see the whole thing.

By Danielssss on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

ah so good this new york stuff. I was born in upstate new york and always figured that nyc was a different country. And it was. My last visit there was 1963, in sixth grade, with my mother, who was about to die and had trouble with the clutch on her Corvair all the way there. She was in defiance of her husband (my father who was fooling around) andher doctor (Who thought she would die on the trip.) She didn't die then but a few years later and I always remember the NYC trip fondly.

I have been to fort worth tx one time, and don;t remember a thing, not even being there. not even when. I wish I were like Droop, and could take a drink or two now and again, but i can't. A drink would be good this afternoon. I would go piss on some graves.

By droopy on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

now-
    it was midnight late in fort worth
    just my bottle, blues, and me
    i was a-rollin' down a part of town
    where ghosts are said to be
    and that was where i met a cowboy
    in a ghostly apparition
    i said, "i thought i had the blues,
    but i 'spose you're in worse condition."
    that ghost said, "son, if that's what you're thinkin',
    i've got some news - you see
    when you leave this world behind,
    dead men don't get the blues."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact