WHAT IS THAT SMELL????

sorabji.com: What is your definition of hell?: WHAT IS THAT SMELL????
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:45 am:

I was at a relatively clean and new gas station yesterday on my way home.
    A guy walked in and stood in line behind me.
    I suddenly noticed this horrid smell. I did not turn around to look at him for fear of appearing rude, but when I left, I noticed he a blue collared shirt on with a patch that said "Allison industries" and his hat said "Meat Products". He appeared to have, I kid you not, _flesh_ of some type on his pants, shirt and hanging from his hat.
    Parked out in the parking lot was what we called a "Meat Wagon". My parents had a horse die in our pasture once, and one pulled up, tied a cable around it's neck and "whenched" it into the back of the truck. What a horrifying site to watch this dead horse be dragged across the pasture, into the gaping jaws of the meat wagon.
    It looked for all the world like a trash truck, but had animal legs and tails and such hanging over the side.

My question is, what the fuck do they do with the dead animals? Why does his hat say Meat Products?

They say they sell it to pet food manufacturers, but why did his hat say meat products? Isn't that what it says on the ingredients listing for hot dogs? or Spam? or "potted meat" or Vienna sausages?????
    Or do they sell it to McDonalds?

SOYENT GREEN IS DEAD ANIMALS FOUND ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!

By M on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:00 am:

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:05 am:

Horses and hogs are high in protein

By M on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:01 am:

The whole rendering business is a mystery

I don't want to know where the products wind up.
    my guess is feed for other animals and if that's the case, isn't the origin of mad cow in feeding cow parts back to cows?

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:17 am:

Maybe so....
    What _is_ potted meat????

By Czarina on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:25 am:

Spunky,you really should have posted a warning,before going into detail about having "flesh of some type,on his pants,shirt and hanging from his hat".

Damn,now I have this picture embedded in my mind.

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 11:33 am:

You have a picture? I still have the smell in my nose

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

At least you don't have the flesh on your clothes.

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

true

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

I guess no one knows what's in potted meat

By M on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Now all we need are some mustard and biscuits,hhhuu

By Spunkrat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:00 pm:

Now I know exactly why I refuse to eat potted meat. Or frankly any other kind of "canned meat"

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

i like potted meat product.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

Is Spam a potted meat product? How about Armour's deviled ham? Because I like both.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

not really. potted meat product is called "potted meat product". or maybe "potted meat food product" or something.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:26 pm:

Yeah, I tried clicking through on the above link to where it talked about Armour's Potted Meat Product (America's favorite) but it wouldn't go through, so I figured it was probably spam or deviled ham. Hell, as long as it tastes good, it's ok with me.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:16 pm:

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:20 pm:

By Cat on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:24 pm:

Spam is an abbreviation for spiced ham.

I really have to have a spring clean and leave some room for some really useful information.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 08:32 pm:

yeah. i was disturbed (briefly) when some netfuck tried to claim Salted Pork And Meat.

how lame is that.

urinal cakes: not cake.

By agatha on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 10:07 pm:

i just bypass the meat thing altogether, for all reasons mentioned above.

i used to love fried spam with mustard, though. and salami slices rolled up with peanut butter. mmmmm.

By Czarina on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 01:41 am:

Down here they sell 5# boxes of chicken feet.
    Not legs,just the feet,with the little toenails still on.

I have no idea how to prepare a meal/snack out of them.

{personally,I think grocery stores should be required to have a seperate/private room,for viewing of these odd body parts}

By patrick on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 11:35 am:

salami and peanut butter?

i gotta think about that one for a second.

with mustard was the only way i'd eat spam.

like many things mom cooked growing up...i avoid it like the plague.

im just now getting comfortable with the idea of meatloaf.

Maybe pork chops will be next. *shivers* naw.

salami...hard salami kicks ass on toast, with dijon and maybe a slice of american cheese.

monge monge monge monge monge monge

By pez on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

S(cientifically)
    P(rocessed)
    A(nimal)
    M(atter)

i'm glad i don't eat meat anymore.

By patrick on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

you dont really believe that do you?

sounds like PETA smoke blown up your ass.

By Nate on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

i eat chicken feet. mmm.

By pez on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

i don't care, really. it was just to say something.

By droopy on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

Here's a little song about four wet pigs
    Here's a little song about four wet pigs
    Two of 'em little and two of 'em big
    They danced all night at the Pigtown Jig

The two that were little were just half-grown
    The two that were big were big as a barn
    Big as a barn and tall as a tree
    Took 'em right down to the factory

Slice 'em into bacon, chop 'em into ham
    Roll 'em into hot dogs, squeeze 'em into Spam
    Throw their little eyes out in the rain
    Pickle their feet and scramble their brains

Here's a little song about two wet pigs
    Standin' by the slop trough, smokin' their cigs
    Hopin' to God that they never get big
    They danced all night at the Pigtown Jig

By Spewingspunk on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:48 pm:

Catchy tune. Why waste the eyeballs? Put them in Potted Meat Food Product

By droopy on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

it's not easy to eat eyeballs. the last time i was in acapulco, i had a whole red snapper - deep fried and served head, eyes, teeth, and all. this wasn't at a restaurant, just the people i was staying with. i plucked the eyeballs out and tried to eat them, but they were like glass beads. i thought they were falsies, but they weren't - they just cook up that way.

By Sadspunky on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 02:59 pm:

I don't think I could eat that snapper. I would feel like it was looking back at me.
    Pacific red is my favorite, by the way, you just cant get it here in the midwest. all they have is snapper and it is not the same. The best place to get it? Tony's on the peer at redondo beach....
    with calamari for an appetizer...
    damn i wish I was still in socal

By semillama on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

The lens of the eye is like rubber - they bounce.

Fish eyes are an Inuit candy.

By Antigone on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

S(atan's)
    P(etrified)
    A(ss)
    M(eat)

By Cat on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 08:11 pm:

I was forced to eat fish eyes once. Six excruciatingly polite Chinese media executives, one innocent fish and me. I didn't stand a chance really.

They kind of slid down my throat. The fish eyes, not the chinese media executives.

Slimy
    Putrid
    Antigone
    Meatballs

By moonit on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 08:47 pm:

chicken feet are deep fried in batter and come out on a plate looking like bony hands. I wasn't game enough to try 'em. Suck off the meat - just like ribs I guess. (something else i dont eat).

By Nate on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 09:01 pm:

the chicken feet i eat are more akin to a chinese bbq style.

like chicken skin on bones.

goodness.

By Spunkalot on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 10:06 pm:

Skin is the best part of the chicken, especially if it is grilled.
    Nice definition, Anti

By J on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 10:43 am:

How bout those chicken lips?

By Spunky on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

Chickens lips are good dipped in chocolate!!!

By agatha on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

this is horrible.

patrick, you should really try the salami and peanut butter. spread the peanut butter on there and roll it up like a tube. snackin good time!

By Nate on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

salami is uncooked pork.

By dave. on Saturday, June 16, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

eskimo is a navaho, or maybe crow, word meaning "people who are so crude, they don't even cook their meat".

in the arctic, cooking is not necessary. filet it and stake it out for a while in the freezing air and you get the same results as cooking it.

much like curing with salt and certain spices produces the same effect.

i love salami.

By Nate on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 01:04 pm:

navajo?

ringalingaling!

By dave. on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 01:14 pm:

my 'j' key is broken.

By agatha on Sunday, June 17, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

uhhh, yeah.

By semillama on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:12 am:

How about Dene? I think that's what you mean. The Navajo (probably) came from Canada, but since it's been a while I doubt they still have a word for the Inuit. The Dene, who are still in Canada, probably do.

Gee could clear this up. Where's she been anyway?

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:56 am:

the navajo call themselves dinee, or something to that effect.

By semillama on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:17 am:

Dine or Dene. The Navajo, and probably the Apaches, were part of a group of Athabaskan speaking people (currently in SW Canada) who split off and for unknown reasons moved south as early as the 12th century CE. Athabaskan belongs to the Na-Dene language group.

Trivia moment: Greenberg has proposed that all Native American langauges can be classified into one of three groups: ALeut-Eskimo (I know, I know), Na-Dene, and Amerind. Further, he suggests that these relate to 3 separate migrations into North America, supported by data from dental and genetic studies: 4000 BP for Aleut-Eskimo, 4700 BP for Na-Dene, and 11,000 BP for Amerind (all dates are approximate, natch).

By Spunky on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:21 am:

Why are we talking about Navajo Indians on this smelly odd "meat food product" string?

By Spider on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:28 am:

I just got a phone call from a librarian at Athabasca University in Alberta, Canada, and I was wondering where their name came from. Synchronicity!

By patrick on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:53 am:

YAYYYYYYYY SYNCOPATION!!!!!!

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

it just means "the people".

grandpa tom, not really my grandpa. he used to hang at the club where all the AA people hung. old blind navajo. codespeaker in WWII.

By semillama on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

Our backhoe operator for the brickworks project was Navajo. Learned how to operate heavy machinery in Nam.

By wisper on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

until i was 13 or so, i seriously thought that native people were somehow forced to live on the reserves. Until i visited a friend who lived in a small town surrounded by reserves, and learned otherwise. I just stared at her.
    i didn't get it.

are there reserves in the u.s too? i asked
    yeah, they're called jails, her mother joked.

i still don't get it.

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 04:41 pm:

we have jellies, jams and reserves. reserves are where there are big chunks of indian left.

By wisper on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

ya take those chunks, mix them with flour, sugar, water and a pinch of vanilla, bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and you've got yourself a genuine Eskimo Pie.

ouch. still hurts to type it.

By Nate on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 07:04 pm:

we actually call them reservations.

except when we put the japanese in them. then we called them internment camps.

By Stinkyspunk on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 09:16 pm:

By Tom the wolfman on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:57 pm:

I once ordered calamari and got just what i ordered a breaded squid,first they brought out what i usually recognize as calamari little round rings that you can dip in a special sauce,then as i had more to drink they brought out what looked like large breaded spiders with all their legs on,it took a while and a lot more drinks but I tried one (since I ordered it and my boss was paying for the meal)and let me tell you those things were unbelievably chewy and they felt like they were alive as I was chewing,every time i would chew they would riggle in my mouth,it was the wosrt experience in my life.

By Prissisla on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:41 pm:

that was your worst experince? pleeese

By SPAMMAN on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:48 am:

WOW,THOSE WRIGGELY THINGS SOUND SO BAD.YOU ATE THAT??

By heather on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:35 am:

re

tards

By PRIS on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

re:HEATHER........... BITCH

By boredtonightkazu on Friday, February 6, 2004 - 11:39 pm:

no.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact