William Gibson should be named the Poet Laureate of the Internet.

sorabji.com: Weeds: William Gibson should be named the Poet Laureate of the Internet.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Lucy Phurre on Sunday, April 18, 1999 - 03:52 pm:

I was reading William Gibson and I was pretty stoned and I realized that it was poetry.
    Then I realized, William Gibson should be the poet laureate of the Net.
    The Net functions, in a way as an independent nation, as no other nation can regulate or control it, and it has its own laws, it transcends the boundaries of other nations (not all, but many), perhaps meta-nation is a better word.
    It is not a perfect nation (the level of affluence determined by the high taxes is pretty insane.), but it is its own nation,and what nation is perfect.
    However, it is, in its way, a nation.
    And nations need poet laureates.
    And there is nobody more appropriate for the post.
    Whatever you think of his politics, I don't always approve of them myself, his writings are still lovely and artistry is, to my mind (and perhaps I have just been reading too much Wilde) what determines who should be a poet laureate .

By Agatha on Monday, April 19, 1999 - 01:21 am:

i'd vote for him. he's got that way with words that i seem to lack, although i wrestle with this knowledge irregardless.

By Gee on Monday, April 19, 1999 - 03:22 am:

Point me in his direction, Lucy? Please.

By Bagpuss on Monday, April 19, 1999 - 07:42 pm:

I prefer neal stephenson myself.
    Or Jeff Noon

I thought Idoru was a bit derivative (of himself). Is this too harsh? Or is it that the thousands of neuromancer rip-offs have poisoned the cyberpunk gene pool for the originator? It may be asking too much for every new Gibson book to be as good as his first. A bit like Douglas Coupland.

Hey, I'm demanding of my cultural heroes.

By Margret on Monday, April 19, 1999 - 08:01 pm:

Idoru sucked.

I read Neuromancer when it first came out, and worshipped it, and have read each subsequent offering, and I like Burning Chrome more than most novels I've read, but the Difference Engine muchly kicked ass (with Bruce Sterling).
    I TOTALLY dig on Stephenson, though, because the aspect of community is only dimly hinted at in Gibson, and developed conceptually ALONGSIDE tech in Stephenson. Snow Crash was good, but Diamond Age has it in uberspades.

By Dave on Monday, April 19, 1999 - 10:24 pm:

William Gibson has the honor and the misfortune of starting a genre. Like Vonnegut, his writing is good but there are others who have taken their foundation and really made their efforts seem empty. Stephenson is great, omitting "Zodiac", and I'm sure there will be even more exciting stuff coming out, in time. I thought Neuromancer and Burning Chrome were great, but I couldn't stay focused on Count Zero and put it down after about 50 pages. I guess not-too-distant-future fiction has become as dull to me as contemporary fiction. I like crazy, galaxy-spanning, way-distant stuff like Iain Banks' Culture novels and Dan Simmons' Hyperion books, although I got tired of the romantic element towards the end.

As for poet laureates: after Richard Brautigan, who cares?

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, April 23, 1999 - 10:10 pm:

I actually liked Idoru. Wasn't as good as some of the other stuff, though. You gotta love the John & Yoko reference (whether or not you like her, the whole "relationship as art" which still pisses off the fans bit is definitely there in the book)
    Burning Chrome was probably my favorite.

I just like the fact that he coined the term "Cyberspace" and was really instrumental in the development of the hacker chic element of (sub)culture (and maybe it's just Silicon Valley that's making me feel like there's been a strong cultural shift towards the Gibsonian lately). At least out here, life is definitely imitating his art.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, love him or hate him, you can't deny that Gibson is iconic, and a poet laureate should have resonance.

By Agatha on Saturday, April 24, 1999 - 02:40 pm:

i liked idoru, too. it was fluffier than his other work, but still a good book.

By agatha on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

I'm looking for the mail art thread, and found this. I just wanted to add that I recently read "All tomorrow's parties" by William Gibson, and it was not nearly as good as his earlier novels. It's like he's holding on to a strand of what worked for him writing-wise in the past, and it's just not really working any more. He even dredged up some of the same characters. It had its moments, but it was highly flawed.

I'm not sure if I had read "Diamond Age" when this thread first started, but I will say now that it was one of the best books I've ever read.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact