Chicago, saving money and WHY AM I HERE?

sorabji.com: Dreamland: Chicago, saving money and WHY AM I HERE?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 03:04 pm:

Last night, I dreamed we had moved to Chiacago, Why Chicago, I dunno. We were being shown to our apartment. I was fascinated by it. Immediately walking out to our sorta a covered balcony/fire escape, I thought this could be our bedroom, but we soon realized we were located directly above an elevated subway line. "Where is the nearest station?" "Right down there 1/2 block away" the realtor pointed as a train rumbled by. "Yeah maybe we should not have this as our bedroom." nico said. Plus it was partially outdoors.

This is when I discovered a special, weird alcove up these steps. It was an igloo-like, dome shaped room, with japanese wood-like walls and partitions. There were several seperate rooms branching off the main one with similar structure. "How cool is this ?! What a bonus!" I exclaimed. "This can be our bedroom, our play room, and our tea room."

The rest of the apartment was pretty typical, but we were excited for our rent was on $600. "Saving money!" I said to the faceless realtor and my wife.

the dream left me with a feeling of excitement, being in a new place, new people roaming about the streets. A new liquor store owner to become friends with. There was also a wood burning stove as well, for those cold cold cold winters. "It's brutally cold in thew winter, not to metnion the wind" i said.

"patrick......PARTY OF ONE.....your table is ready.....PARTY OF ONE"

Why Chicago?
    Why am I telling you this?

By J on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

Cause it,s a toddling town?

By droopy on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 03:55 pm:

i had a dream a couple of nights ago that, in a way i can't quite pinpoint, i blame on this place. i am sitting on my couch in the living room and there are 4 guys sitting in a circle on the floor across the room. they are fully clothed, but i am aware that they are about to masturbate (have a circle jerk, i guess.) i don't know any of them; three of them look the same - medium build, nondescript - but one is a big biker guy.

i remember that i was reading the new yorker. this may just have to do that it came in the mail that day (i have a subscription), but who knows. when they start unzipping their pants and pulling things out, i get up (in some of my dreams i can walk, apparently for expediency's sake. why bother *dreaming* that you're transferring into a chair) and go over to them saying "wait a minute, dammit" and start laying towels down around them to protect the carpet from the mess.

i leave. when i come back, they are gone and there is a big wet spot on the carpet where the 4 guys once were. not gooey, just wet like somebody had dumped a big pail of water on the spot.

By heather on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

i have a question not meant to offend-
    do you realize in your dream that when you're awake you have to transfer to a chair? or do you just think about it when you get up?

i have lots of bad dreams that sometimes terrify me- but at the time i know that i'm dreaming. i know it's not real, but still i feel and react as i would if the situation was real.

By Rhiannon on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

I hardly ever know I'm dreaming when I dream. I often have dreams in which I tell myself that there's no way this could be a dream because I can feel something, smell something, etc.

Or, rarely, I have a nightmare, and I know I'm dreaming, so I try to wake myself up, but I end up just dreaming I'm awake. That's very annoying.

I also often wake up abruptly in the middle of the night, feeling like there's someone in the room standing by the bed. That's rather frightening.

Patrick, you mentioned a faceless realtor.....are the people in your dreams (besides those whom you know in real life, like your wife) often faceless?

By patrick on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 06:33 pm:

sometimes, what do ya think doc?

By droopy on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 06:50 pm:

not offended. i have never dreamed that i could walk, feeling that it was true, and then woke up to see the chair sitting along the side of the bed. when i was first in a chair ('86), i would have dreams that i would get out of the chair and walk, but then my legs would hurt so much i'd have to get back in it. i was always in touch with reality. nowadays, being in a chair is just who i am.

most of the wheelchair guys i know "walk" in their dreams, or at least aren't in chairs. for the most part it really has to with the fact that all of the little realities of rolling around - transferring, jumping curbs, all that - is too much extra information to throw into a dream - especially the more surrealistic ones. walking is "the norm."

my friends even dream about me walking. one of them dreamt that i got up out of my chair and beat the crap out of another friend of ours.

sometimes, in a more "reality based" dream, i'll be in my chair; other times i'll be walking but the chair will be "there."

speaking of scary dreams. i had a dream, once, that i was on a beach in scotland or someplace; it was a narrow beach up against tall, craggy cliffs at the top of which were wide green fields and an old castle that overlooked the bay. i am standing on the beach with my chair strapped on my back like a backpack, watching a whale out in the bay rising and spouting water and then going back down.

suddenly i become convinced that the whale wants to kill me. as i start running the whale gets out of the water and, running on its tail flippers, starts chasing me. i get to the cliff and start scaling it, feeling the weight of the chair on my back. (i've got a sporty little chair that weighs about 35 lbs.) the whale is still following me. at the top i start running for my car, which is several yards off in a wide-open field; the whale is still running after me and now has a gun in one of its dorsal fins. i can feel his size and how close he is.

i get to my car. i have to spend precious seconds dismantling my chair (as i have to do in real life) and putting it in the back. in the driver's seat i am shivering; i turn over the ignition and the car doesn't start (this also happens alot in real life); the shadow of the whale closes over me.

then the car starts, i speed off, and that's that. I have a lot of scary/comic dreams like that, and it always ends with me actually getting away, not with one of those cliffhanger "it was just about to get me, then the dream stopped" bits. a survivor's nightmare.

By patrick on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 07:27 pm:

i was gonna add the comic part, i am gald you recognize that. The imagery of this big-assed whale running with a sawed-off is too funny.

do you ever race, with your chair? You mention it's a sporty model......

By droopy on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 08:25 pm:

well, sporty like my grand am is a sporty little car. racing chairs are different animals - built sort of like dragsters with a long nose out front, low seat, and straps to fold your knees up to your chest. i'm just not into racing.

those dreams like the whale dream really are that terrifying when i'm having them, it's after i wake up and look back on it that i start laughing. it's a weird game my mind plays with me...trying to teach me that my fears aren't real, evidently.
    either that or, after his death, salvador dali was given creative control of my dreamstate.

By droop on Friday, March 10, 2000 - 08:43 pm:

before i leave for the evening - i don't think "dorsal fin" was right(i think that's the back fin, jaws and cellos going duh-duh duh-duh and shit), but you know what i meant.

By Gee on Saturday, March 11, 2000 - 04:46 am:

did I ever mention the horror film dream I had? It was a dream that was just like a horror flick like Friday the 13th, only instead of a guy in a hockey mask my bad guy was this big guy whose head was compleatly covered in white bandages.

he tried to kill me and thought that he had so he threw me down the basement and then when he killed another couple of people he threw them on top of me. eventually I woke up and was trying to think of a way out and somehow my bad guy realized I was still alive and killing me was now his big thing. He was up at the window (a tiny little basement window) and was calling down to me pretending to be my uncle. I was about to stand up and answer him when I spotted his bloody bandages and just kept quiet.

there was more to the dream, but that was the scariest part. Those horror flicks are pretty stupid when they're movies, but when you're actually Living it (or believe you are) they're darn freaking scarey.

By Nelly on Saturday, March 11, 2000 - 10:34 am:

i think reading this thread was probably directly responsible for the experience (i guess it was a dream) i had last night

woke up about 4 for some reason, turned on the computer for awhile, went back to bed. my feet were cold.

the next thing i remember is, it was raining, i was lying in my bed, and something was wrong with the lights. it seemed like the electricity had gone out, but i could see light coming from the hall, and i knew i hadn't gotten up and lit any candles. maybe only some of the lights were going out - a brownout? or, was an unknown person in the house? there were noises, but it could be the refrigerator... this went on for some time, and damn, i must get up and investigate this, i thought reluctantly, but as i was thinking this

prickly surges of internal energy began bursting in my body. (the effect of this kind of surge is like the prickles you get after part of you "goes to sleep" and then you move it, but different) all i could do was lie there as waves of it poured out from my center and zapped throughout my body. what's going on, am i sick, am i in trouble? i thought. ah, my feet seem to be getting warmer...

finally the surges abated and i looked up and noticed something. there was a roundish hole in the ceiling next to the light fixture, and i could see light from the sky through the hole. damn, i thought, imagining workmen having to come into my bedroom, and the house cleaning i'd needed to do... and wondering what had happened to the guy's apartment over mine... and trying to detect with my feet whether any wetness was coming through to the bedcovers... if there's light coming through the hole, it must be nearly dawn, i can get up...

then i got up. i went into the kitchen, found the flashlight and clutched it to me. it didn't illuminate much. went through the living room, seeing no one. then i realized that i wasn't walking, i was sort of levitating through the house, several inches off the floor (this is something that has happened before). this won't do, i have to wake up and get grounded, i thought, and brought myself down to the floor, but it seemed like the feet would only stay on the floor a few seconds before i would be floating again. i was floating pretty near the ceiling and seemed to have trouble controlling my buoyancy.

i floated back to the bed, and about this time the question came to mind of whether i was dreaming or not. got into bed and looked up and the hole was still there. it would sure be nice if that was just a dream, i though. oh, well, maybe i just have to sleep some more before i can really wake up and deal with this. seem to have drifted off at this point...

woke up again, the hole was still there, but i couldn't move. something else happened but i can't remember it. something about tall bookcases.

woke up again, around 10. light of day. feet warm, air outside the bed, cold. no hole in the ceiling, thank the Lord. went outside, there are little puddles on the pavement where it had rained. the flashlight was in its usual place in the kitchen.

By _____ on Saturday, March 11, 2000 - 04:08 pm:

if i were you, i'd think twice about going to sleep tonight.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, March 11, 2000 - 10:23 pm:

I had a fever last night.

My brother told me I walked into his room around 2:30, shook him awake, and told him that the turtles wanted me to join their army to fight the cats.

Then I said, "The shapes! The shapes is the thing!"

Then I walked back to my room and went to bed.

See what I mean about not needing chemicals when I want to escape reality?

But, man, Nelly, that's one of the weirdest dreams I've ever heard of.

By Nelly on Sunday, March 12, 2000 - 12:26 am:

thank you. i guess.

you haven't heard my others yet...

i think there was an electrical storm last night. electricity seems to have something to do with some of them.

the only one similar I can remember was when I "woke up" lying in my bed and i could hear someone outside calling for "Wanda"... and then all of a sudden there were flashes and this strange blue light kind of licked the edges of everything, and then i was sort of transposed to the bed in my parents' room years ago when I was 8 or so... that's when I knew it was a dream... but i woke up again later and the guy was still calling for Wanda, only I found out later it was the woman next door's daughter, Yolanda, and it was her husband and she had locked him out.

By Nelly on Sunday, March 12, 2000 - 12:27 am:

But who won, the turtles or the cats?

By Isolde on Sunday, March 12, 2000 - 01:26 am:

I hate dreams where I wake up inside the dream. I think that's more traumatizing than the nightmare itself.

By patrick on Monday, March 13, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

the poor wife, often wakes up, telling me about "shipments of silk or shibouri, 1000 yards, to be expedited to BCBG and so on...." she dreams her work, she works too hard.

By J on Tuesday, March 14, 2000 - 09:13 am:

I did that when I was a waitress,I,d dream about the menu and prices,but it helped me get it down.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact