words in a line...

sorabji.com: Words: words in a line...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kymical addiction on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 05:17 pm:

rococo
    moracco

i don't know why. but those two words (one name one place) seem to intrigue me.

i like the way they roll off he tongue.

makes me want hot cocoa and some guy in tight pants.

By cyst on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 02:04 am:

morocco.

today I learned the word "uxoriousness." excessive love for one's wife.

more corrections in brackets:

K. stopped by, and we talked for about fifteen minutes. The entire conversation was about me [my] being an asshole. I was contrite and agreeable, but I think she was frustrated at [by]my failure to say the words "sorry" or "apologize".

By heather on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 10:14 am:

how can you be excessively fond of your wife?
    (the definition when i looked it up)

By agatha on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 11:44 am:

god forbid you are fond of your wife. that's just wrong.

By droopy on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 11:48 am:

the definition for uxurious in my dictionary is:

doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately oversubmissive toward one's wife.

By cyst on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 12:26 pm:

I bought a '50s vocabulary book at a thrift store or a garage sale, and the author, wilfred funk, is really sexist.

that's where I learned the word "uxorious." I guessed that the noun form was "uxoriousness."

oh. I'm looking at it now. it's from 1942.

"words have changed the direction of history. words can also change the direction of your life. they have often raised a man from mediocrity to success."

"7. are you apt to say: 'no other nation can hold a candle to my country. we are the supermen, the chosen people. every other race is inferior to mine and they are destined to be our slaves when the day comes'? this is not patriotism. or, rather, it is patriotism carried to an illogical and ludicrous extreme. do you happen to talk this way? then you are a chauvinist..."

By cyst on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 12:29 pm:

words about your fellow men

the coquette - this girl promises much, flirts egregiously and delivers very little

the circe - her greatest pleasure comes from luring men on to their destruction

the virago - she is the loud-mouthed, turbulent, battle-axe type

By Rhiannon on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 12:40 pm:

uxorious: excessively fond of or submissive to a wife

uxoricide: murder of a wife by her husband

usufruct: the legal right of using and enjoying the fruits or profits of something belonging to another

virago: 1) a woman of great stature, strength, and courage 2) a loud overbearing woman

fillip: a blow or gesture made by the sudden forcible straightening of a finger curled up against the thumb

By cyst on Monday, November 29, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

2. you are an irritable, touchy old man, and as you walk along the street on this cold, raw morning you feel nothing but enmity toward the whole world. a beggar stops you for a coin. how do you refuse? (irascibly.)

3. a friend has been importuning you for weeks to look over a novel he is writing and give him your criticism. knowing your friend you are certain that the novel is bad even before you read it; besides you are a very busy man. rather than give your friend a blunt refusal, however, you take the manuscript home one evening. how do you examine it? (cursorily.)

5. you have influence with the chief of police and, furthermore, your wife is the mayor's daughter. consequently, you never trouble to obey traffic laws. in fact, you can break them. (with impunity.)

6. a woman has broken your heart purposely, and with malice aforethought. she has left you a disillusioned man. it takes you years even to begin to get over it. and then one day you meet her again. she is gay, debonair; she has obviously forgotten what she has done to you. this angers you and you intend to sting her when you remind her of what she has done to you. in what fashion do you speak to her? (acrimoniously.)

By Bk on Thursday, December 16, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

"the virago - she is the loud-mouthed, turbulent, battle-axe type" and "virago: 1) a woman of great stature, strength, and courage 2) a loud overbearing woman"

Virago- A hugely over powered motorbike manufactured by Yamaha.

I wonder who picked the name for this bike?

By J on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 10:26 am:

Well fuck me running,not only am I a Virgo,I,m a Virago,is this cosmic or what?

By Joel and Kathy on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:29 pm:

You guys are very funny.. Someone referred to me as 'uxorious'today.. and I did a google search and found you! I loved this "God forbid you should be fond of your wife... that's just wrong." If you know a man who needs to learn how to be 'uxurious'... buy him a copy of our book! www.unchainedhearts.com

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact