Words of Investment Advice

sorabji.com: Words: Words of Investment Advice
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Merle Lynche on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

If you had bought $1000.00 worth of Nortel stock one
    year ago, it would now be worth $49.00.
    With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original
    $1,000.00.
    With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.
    If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Miller Lite (the
    beer, not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer,
    then turned in the cans for the 10 cent deposit, you
    would have $214.00.
    Based on the above, my current investment advice is to
    drink.

By petey wheatstraw on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 02:08 pm:

seeing as how you spelled "Merrill Lynch" id say you've been taking your own advice.

WELL DONE!

By Merle Lynche on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

No, my name is Merle Lynche...

By Nate on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

you get 5 cents for every two cans here in california. that's not much better than Nortel.

$1000 worth of microsoft bought 5 years ago would now be worth nearly $5000.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 04:32 pm:

By spunky on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 04:49 pm:

By patrick on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

the downside is there is only a one year warranty on that hunker.

they don't mention brand with the hard drive or cd rom and those things have some of the worst failure rates. Trident video chipset and AMD processors are good though. Thats what I have and they are still rockin after 6 years. *shrugs* outdated like the musket but still work.

those machines are great for someone who knows how to tweak them, but I wouldnt sell one to my mom.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 05:44 pm:

you can use moore's law to prove that one year warranty is more than enough.

i didn't know that trident was still around.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 06:25 pm:

when you consider the typical wal mart customer though....

tech department hell

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 06:55 pm:

Ok, completely unrelated:

I parked in a parking lot this morning where they were doing work. Tiny little droplets of dried concrete all over the front of my car. I've been painstakingly trying to take them off one by one with my thumbnail, but that leaves marks, and then I tried wrapping a metal spoon in a kitchen towel and dipping it in dish detergent water, but that leaves marks too. I've tried a rubbing compound too, but that doesn't give enough grip to take off the drops. Any ideas?

By patrick on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

yeah take it to the construction company and/or property owner and ask them to fix your fuckin paint job that they fucked up!

By Nate on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

i would guess that the marks are already there and have nothing to do with the method of removal.

patrick's idea would be the american way, though. what kind of car is it? is it cosmetic, or is the protective value of the paint diminished? those are the kinds of factors i'd consider.

if it were my car, i'd just leave the droplets on. what the hell. my car's owned birdshit for nearly as long as i've owned it.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 07:29 pm:

but you know...construction companies being the epitome of the teamster way of doing things will deny deny deny deny.

i had my gas tank punctured because a piece of scrap metal was in the road a mere few feet from an entrance to a construction site.

after talking with the site manager, site owner, and my uncle the a lawyer, it would have been difficult to prove that the piece of fuckin metal that cut an 12"+ gash in my gas tank came from the construction site and was in the road due to some sort of negligence. Surprisingly, gas tanks are reach cheap.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 11:44 am:

Yeah, I'm not going to bother banging my head against a wall with those fuckers for the eventual $100 that I might get. It's cosmetic scratches on the outside layer, not down to the metal, but still, looks like hell. I've still got a few droplets left, and that's why I asked if anybody knew how to get that stuff off, plus for future reference. It's a 2 year old red Ford Focus (Ford Fuckus) whose paint job was in great shape until now.

By patrick on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 11:58 am:

2 year old car? Dude, Id absolutely make a rukus over this, if nothing else point it out to the imbecils who were working that day, the project manager. If it was parked at work, a company parking lot, Id bring it up to your boss ASAP dude. Unless you get one of those slips daily that you get from a parking garage that says they arent responsible for a damn thing.

Thats seriously wrong. The deserve to repaint your car.

By J on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

Dougie this MIGHT work,try useing some DeSolveIt,you can get it at HomeDepote or maybe even the grocery store or Wal-Mart,it's a citrus based solvent usually used to get grease out of carpet or gum out of hair,put I have a feeling it will help just wipe it off.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

You could test the DeSolve first on a different part of your car no one sees to see if it removes the paint. It might.

I would look into what makes concrete soft again after it's hard. Go to home Depot, there must be something that construction people use to clean after the fact.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks guys. Will check out Desolve, but that's probably for greasy grimy kid stuff. I don't know if there is such a thing that will soften concrete once it has set, maybe, but I would doubt it. Too much on my plate right now to try to get satisfaction about a new paint job from a construction company right now.

By Nate on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 03:52 pm:

nothing makes concrete soft again. it's a chemical reaction.

at least, nothing that wouldn't be a lot worse on your finish.

i say fuck it. it's a ford focus, not a porsche.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 04:59 pm:

You'll just have to paint the concrete dots differnt colors and tell everyone your car got the measles.

By Czarina on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 01:32 am:

This is very easily resolved. Construction companies have insurance that covers this. This is a very frequent occurence.{Well,I don't know about the cement drops being common,but I do know about paint spraying onto cars]

I used to date a guy that had an industrial paint company, and they were spray painting at a bank, and this employee was REALLY rude to them, so they just let the drift from their paint get all over his nice car.[then he was even ruder]

When I commented that that didn't seem like a good thing, my boyfriend said,"Fuck it,he was an asshole. Thats why I have insurance. It happens all the time at construction sites."

So,you should make them repaint your car.

By Alex on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 08:50 am:

my housemates brother and his girlfriend were driving past a building site the other month and some guy who was spreading concrete just grabbed a handful and threw it at them, they had the sun roof open as well, it went all over the car inside and out. they went to see the site manager who gave them some bullshit about it being nothing to do with them and that the guy didnt even work there or something. so now they have a car covered in dried cement.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact