Prepositions

sorabji.com: Words: Prepositions
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 09:26 am:
    There used to be a time, grade school to be exact, where it was required to memorize and recite all of the known prepositions.

I cannot do it anymore. Can anyone help?

I'll start:

a, an, about....

By Nelly on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 02:14 am:
    the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
    over, under, around, and through,
    within, without, above, below,
    beyond the grave and inside my head,
    those worms throughout the language spread,
    beside the streams where waters flow
    beneath my notice, to and fro,
    behind the refrigerator, sat upon,
    the list goes endlessly on and on...

well, that's some anyway. a and an are indefinite articles, not prepositions.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:16 am:
    Nelly--

Bravo!!! WoooHooOOOoOooOO!

But I beg to differ regarding "a" and "an." They were MOST assuredly on my list in grade school. I agree they are articles, but are ALSO prepositions.

Any Enlgish majors out there?

By Pete on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:46 am:
    Or how about any English majors?

HeHeHe

Speaking for myself, Grammar was my worst subject...I never bothered to learn what was a preposition or an article (definite or not...) unless it was for a test, and then I promptly forgot it. All I know is that a noun is a person place or thing, and a verb is a....well it's something -- I know that much.

Now PROPOSITIONS I have some experience with!

By Markus on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:55 am:
    I'm with the erudite Nelly on this one. Indefinite articles are not prepositions, though I'm willing to entertain samples sentences supporting your case. The panel of judges is standing by......

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 10:18 am:
    Ok, ok, I'll concede:

http://www.lbcc.cc.or.us/dev-studies/quickc/prep.html

But... I KNOW that's how I learned it in school. When I think about it, "a" and "an" cannot be prepositions. Why does that " a, an, about, above..." line stick in my memory?

Wishing the nun who tought that to me wasn't dead. I wonder how many other poor shmuks she did that to???

Pete, do you make this statement too?:

I are a college graduate.

LOL

Leave it to me to type in Enlgish when trying to sound astute.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 10:20 am:
    Now I'm wishing I had spelt "taught" correctly. Jeez-oh-flip!

By Pete on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 08:53 pm:
    No, I believe you had it right the first time...nuns don't teach, they tauch. So you weren't "taught" so much as you were "tought".

Think it explains why they are so fond of their rulers....

I WERE a college graduate. Now I AM a college deviate!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 09:48 pm:
    LOL

By Yanya on Tuesday, April 14, 1998 - 11:52 pm:
    ahh fuckit. Lets chanje the langwidge.
    Aye submit prepositioned artikle seine-tenses.

The tenacious elephant was dancin' a peanutbutter.

After Daisy place the watermelon a table, the cat knocked it an.

comeon! Let screw up our kid's language.
    judges?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact