...been stung on the neck?

sorabji.com: Have you ever...: ...been stung on the neck?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By pez on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

this afternoon i went to the grocery store to get supplies for my camping trip tomorrow. i drove home with the window down, singing along to the radio. i felt something funny on my neck when i parked.

i got out of the car and began to walk to the house, but, halfway there, i felt this excrutiating pain on the side of my neck...it was a bee! i began screaming and rubbing at my neck, rubbing off the bee and tearing my earring out (one half of my favorite pair) in the process.

so now i have a swollen neck, a bleeding ear, and my favorite pair of earring is shot.

i called nrk and asked marconi not to play anything by sting.

i figured that, in times of crisis, it's best to keep a sense of humor.

By Nate on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 07:16 pm:

i got stung by a bee when i was about ten. he stung me beneath my thumbnail. i went into the house and showed my mom. she gave me a little paper cup of meat tenderizer made into paste with water.

i felt bad because i had been playing with the bee, and because he felt the need to sting me he died.

i didn't have any hysterics, though. i guess i was already a "big boy" by then.

i can also remember watching a little kid fall as a child. he skinned his elbow. it was bleeding, but he didn't notice and went on playing. i told him he was bleeding. he looked at his elbow and started screaming and crying.

my mom said that's something little kids do. panic.

odd.

By patrick on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

i got popped by 3 yellow jackets at once. The sting is startling....i just ran tio get away from an apparent nest i had come across.

the meat tenderizer tricks works well.....so does tobacco, made moist with water. Numbs it.

By Dougie on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

Meat tenderizer works on jellyfish stings too. I got a man o'war wrapped around me in Miami, and when I came out, the life guard had a big bottle of Adolph's. Worked like a charm. A baking soda & water paste works too, as well as calamine.

By pez on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 08:18 pm:

once, when i was about four, i opened a nest of yellowjackets and had them chase me all over before i got stung.

later my mom took me to the doctor, who picked bees and stingers out of my hair.

By NATE - STUPID on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 08:35 pm:

FUCK YOU BEESFUCKING FUCK.

By J on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 11:53 am:

Calm down Nate,you need some nookie,I use to catch bees in my hands,as long as they know your not afraid they won't sting you,it would be suicide for them.The only time I've ever been stung by anything was a wasp when I was wearing a halter top stung me on my back.

By Kalli on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

i hate bugs. i mean...hate them. im deathly afraid of them...

When I was a little girl, I remember trying to fall asleep one night and hearing this *awful* buzzing noise and a *bat* *ping* *thwap* sound. I turned my light on and one of those damn June bugs was flying around my bedroom.

Needless to say, I screamed for my momma. She laughed her ass off at me and put the damn thing outside.

I went back to bed.

Two minutes later there was another one.

Hate the things.

Bees too. One comes near me and I bolt.

By crimson on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

i got stung on the eye once by a red wasp. not right in the eyeball but pretty damn close. my eye puffed up & began swelling shut. then i had to go to work. i clocked in & this stupid bitch (the store owner) told me to open my eye right away or she'd fire me, because having one eye swollen shut was "unaesthetic" to the customers. obviously, i couldn't open the eye. it was swollen shut, turning red & oozing. she didn't fire me but she acted like a gold-plated cunt to me all day long. one whole side of my face burned. i tried to cool it by putting ice on it & the bitch told me i couldn't do that either because it was a waste of ice. she stood right in my way while i was trying to take care of business & loudly made fun of my swollen eye in front of the customers. she also elbowed me hard several times for no reason. i was making minimum wage...not enough pay to put up w/ bullshit of that depth and magnitude.

i've been fairly lucky in my life, haven't been stung too much. got nailed in the back by a bunch of wasps in my late teens & used moistened tobacco to help ease the pain, which seemed to help a bit. i got stung deep down inside the ear by a bee when i was a little kid...one of my earliest memories (i think i got hauled to the ER for that one). also got stung on the ass by a yellow jacket back when i was a cheerleader. that's about it.

By Platypus on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 04:36 pm:

I've had two major stinging adventures--I walked into a nest of wasps when I was about 12, and ran around screaming until my friend's mom threw me in the shower.
    Then I walked into a nest of yellowjackets when I was picking grapes for Hidden Cellars, and man, that really sucked.

By heather on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 05:17 pm:

bugs don't bite me

[please don't rant about bees not being bugs. thank you]

but i walked into a palmetto bush thing that left a piece of itself in my thigh for two months. i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't heal.

By TBone on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

Last weekend I tried to go backpacking with 3
    other people. The 4 of us (2 male, 2 female) made
    it about an hour in before we took the wrong fork
    and wasted an hour each way. So, 3 hours in, but
    only one hour of productive travel, my girlfriend
    noticed a tick on my shoulder. I didn't think it
    was a problem... just flicked it off. Then she
    noticed one on her pants... then 3 or 4 more on
    her pants. Then I checked mine and found 6 or so.

Then we all went insane. I found munching on my
    leg... It died a fiery death. We stripped down
    and went through all of our clothes, checked each
    other's hair and various other places. I was the
    only one actually bit.

After about an hour of getting ticks out of our
    clothes, hair, packs, etc... we had found about
    50 ticks and decided to put our packs on (though
    we were sure they still had ticks on them) and
    haul ass back to the truck.

We're still way paranoid about them. I found one
    on my neck after two days of being home. I think
    it crawled out of some packed clothes or something
    and hunted me down. 2 days after that, I found
    one just as it was aiming its jaws at my side.

The other female in the party found one in her
    hair a day or two after the trip.

I still haven't dealt with the "Quarantine Bag" of
    clothes and equipment in the basement.

Criminy, do I hate ticks.

By semillama on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 06:54 pm:

My friend told me the story about a friend of his and a tick.

Seems he found it attached to the tip of his cock.

So, he got out his lighter.

Now, everyone calls him "Li'l Smokey."

By Daniel ssss on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 10:42 pm:

Take a small stretch of masking tape, wide like for painting, rollit adhesive side out, and stick it on your camping shirt or pack strap. When you see ticks on you, simply press the adhesive to the tick, If they're not dug in yet, they';ll adhere to the sticky and you can accumulate as many as you want and quickly painlessly safely remove them from your person.

If they're already dug in, and they like tight spots under edges of socks or waistbands or underwear edges...then simply turn them counterclockwise out. They screw in, you screw them out. If you burn em or pull em, you'll leave the protuberance thing in you and it can get irrited and infected.

Ticks wait days on stalks of grass ready to jump on anything (you) walking by. They'll meander over your personal terrain for up to a few hours even a day, before diging in, or sometimes do it right away. Any tick bite is cause for plenty of chewing of plantain leaves into a good spitwad and applying to the bite site. This too is exceelent for bee and fly bites too. The sooner the better.

Ticks are killed in the washing of clothes ONLY with hot water and strong detergent. They can survive adverse conditions for extended periods and dig in after long times without food or water. They have no commercial or moral value.

Seed ticks so called because they look like small moving red freckles...are the worst to spot. Wear lite colored clothing and cover exposed skin completely when in deep woods or high grass. If they are bad now, they'll be horrendous by midsummer. A good freeze in winter kills many and limits a bad summer.

Here in MiseryLand we have no see ums or chiggers, and the best defense is a strong offense. Once massively overrun with the microscopic bastards, just live with them: you can't do anything. Wash alot and quickly after being exposed. They also float on stream water, but a good rubbing and soaping, esp with some lavender essential oil in the liquid will help deter the little rovers.

Itch itch itch itch em and spray with lysol. Kills the itch, antiseptics the would, and makes you smell like hospital floors.

The skeeters are inordinately early and bad here and I got bit ten twevle times tonight in the garden. I swell up like the michelin man.

Bugs are a part of nature, but there's really n o good excuse for a tick. Lymes disease is transmitted by deer and other ticks, and is much more common and harder to diagnose: symptoms like chronic fatigue. Don't rely on blood test to find out if you've got it; ask the doc for a round of antibiotics if you suspect it but the doc doesn't. Docs miss the diagnosis all the time and try to treat you for something else.

(I spend extended periods of time in the woods, and spend it without gear or insect repellant, so I am just passing along what little I know. My worst experience was a dream quest I did in the Ozarks. I took only a rain poncho to sleep in so as to keep the dew off me in the mornings. Well it rains, solidly and steadily and ...the bugs liked the poncho too).

Sem, one of my boyscouts got a lil smokie award years ago. Unfortunate.

By heather on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 12:21 am:

don't go outside

By dave. on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 12:34 am:

i feel the same about hornets. no excuse. nothing there an ant couldn't do.

why do they hate me so much?

By dave. on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 12:35 am:

i forgot horseflies. pure evil.

By Danielssss on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 01:54 am:

heather, are you up? Inside I hope?

By Slothrop on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 02:50 am:

i guess our main problem here would be poison oak. ok, well actually our main problem here is dysfunctional women, but that's another string, i'm certain. however, i am immune to poison oak. we do have ticks, but not those noseeums. i have heard of them, but never knew they were so fucking insidious. the ticks i deal with mostly come in on luna the dog, but if i am hiking or walking in an area with lots of trees, i tend to find them in my hair. i don't know about ticks hopping from leaves of grass (i had to). i heard from a friend of mine that ticks are able to sense Co2 emmissions, and base their movement on that by dropping from high places. guess it doesn't matter really, since there's no way to circumvent that (breathing).

everyone seems to know each other. when do i cease to be the circus act and pick up a sorabjibuddy?
    *sigh*
    well i guess i'll have an other beer then.

By Slothrop on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 02:57 am:

oh, and pez- i have had the same thing happen to me. i was doing about 80mph through one of those shithole so. cal. cities whose name escapes me when a bee came zinging in my window. i don't even think it meant to. it couldn't have. only half of it was stuck to my face. my theory is that the front end was lain to waste by my window or something. it sure hurt though. and 80 mph isn't what you want to be doing while experiencing relatively intense pain in the facial area.

By Czarina on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 11:21 am:

Ticks are aesthetically offensive.The fact that their metamorphosis is in direct relation to our blood volume,makes them insidious,evil,creepy and vile.I'm an avid hiker,and won't be caught out in the woods without my Cutters.We have those hidious chiggers here,too.Apparently,by the time you feel the itch,they are long gone.[before I moved down south,I was warned by Markle-Sparkle,not to wear spanish moss in my hair,cause thats where they like to live]

Come to think of it,we have some mammoth bugs here.The local joke is that the mosquito is the state bird.They are huge here.

But I'm with Dave on the horse-fly/deer-fly issue.They are the worst.The bastards are tenacious,and won't give up untill they watch you make an ass of yourself,trying to dodge,duck and swat at them,then move in for the kill.I hope they are like bee's,and die after biting.

By Czarina on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 11:31 am:

Oh,we have something else really weird here,too.
    Stinging caterpillars.Its the black hairy ones,but if they get on you,it burns like the devil,and leaves a big red welt.I had never heard of this before.Oh,and we have something called "burning grass",which is self-explanatory.

The south is a treacherous place.
    And a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    But at least,I still have all of my teeth.

By dave. on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

most of my memories of childhood camping involve running from hornets or horseflies. pound for pound, the meanest animals in the world.

burning grass sounds cool. would it grow here in washington?

By TBone on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

Ticks. Still freaking about about ticks. Haven't
    found any in a few days. There are so many things
    about ticks that bother me. An insect that drills
    into me, sucks my blood, and breathes through its
    ass is not one I want to have anything to do with.

I learned the patient way to remove a tick... Dab
    a little oil on its ass and wait a few minutes.
    It'll eventually pull out.

I've never tried it. Like I said, it's the
    patient way.

By Nate on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

i just bite them off.

By Antigone on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 10:34 am:

Make friends with the tick. They are the natural enemy of the.....

...the, uhhh....

Fuck the tick.

By semillama on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 11:29 am:

SPOON!!!!!

By Antigone on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

SPOOOOOOOONUH!!!!

By Daniel ssss on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 11:20 pm:

Are mother mosquitos rather large and about an inch or more long with largish wings to match? My son calls them "mosquito hawks" and a friend thinks these bastards are egg laying mothers of mosquitos. I though mama skeeters are the same size etc. This is a new bug I aint never seen. Help.

By TBone on Sunday, May 6, 2001 - 11:40 pm:

Actually, the huge ones are male and harmless.

It's the little female buggers ya gotta watch out for.

By Daniel staying inside on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 12:11 am:

aha. the big uns are male? the little bloodsuckers are female? makes sense. I nominate you for the resident entymolygist...bug man...after Czarina...though she's the bird lady...

Someday's you're the windshield, somedays you're the bloody gutless exoskeletal remains.

By dave. on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 12:42 am:

By patrick on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 11:39 am:

i saw the biggest mosquitos outside of New Orleans hitting my windshield at 80mph.

I felt i was doing a public service.

By Dougie on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 11:42 am:

Damn, them's some fast mosquitos!

By Czarina on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 04:35 pm:

Oooooooh,come back and get some more Patrick!You were indeed performing a much needed public service.They are truley enmasse here.Disease carrying vermin.Several cases of encephalitis here recently.Its impossible to not get bitten by them.They are just coming out now.

Daniel,I don't know much about their etimology,but I do know that here,the term "mosquito hawk" refers to an insect that I have always called "dragon flys".Apparently they like to feast on the mosquitos,so they are most welcome here.There is also a wild bird that resides here in the south,referred to as "purple martins" that eats mosquitos.So people have elaborate high-rises,that have several birdie domeciles,[kinda like an apartment complex],to temp the martins to come.

By Hal on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 05:53 pm:

We seem to have a horrible problem with Hobo Spiders and Basements here in Missoula, meaning in ever single basement there are way to many hobo spiders.

Recently I saw a spider web in my room, no I live on the second floor and from what Dr.TBone tells me Hobo spiders live in basements. Anyway I don't like spiders, hate the little fuckers actually, and I was about to remove said spider and his fucking web when I noticed that he had another spider in the web and was eating it. So he can stay as long as he keeps up his cannibalistic ways.

By TBone on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

That spider was probably a she-spider eating her
    husband.

By Nate on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 07:59 pm:

we call crane flies mosquito hawks. they don't eat mosquitos, though.

we call dragonflies dragonflies.

they eat mosquitos.

i saw the return of the mallards today. i was standing on my deck looking up stream when a beautiful emeraldheaded male streaked by, low over the water.

last year two males and a female hung out in the pool under my deck for most of the summer. they eat well.

our mosquitos are small but nearly block the sun with their numbers. luckily, they're only out for the couple hours leading up to sunset.

i was bitten on my elbow friday, while taking a dip in opal creek. don't tell the ranger.

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 01:38 am:

these are too small for dragon flies, but have the same tenacity and out of control flight. I didn't hang aropund them too long. They like the froont of the house. diazanon cocktails for them all.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 01:44 am:

diazanon is evil.

if you use it, you are a tool of the devil.

and i hate you. hypothetically.

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 08:34 am:

Nate, for once I agree wholeheartedly. It makes your lawn or your house or your trees into a toxic waste dump. Sadly, most of the bugs here have been getting their yearly innoculations against Man's Best Effort at Better BugFree Living Through Chemistry, and are resistant.

I hear the little winged things laughing in the dark. Most chemicals used are evil, destructive of environment in the long term, and have limited short term gain. Even an insect repellant topically applied to skin will poison us.

I think Malthion is an equally nasty material, too, and whatever it is that I am supposed to use on my log house to keep it from being eaten by borer beetles and termites, well, that's nasty and probably evil too. Termites are good in the deep forest...help the ecological balance by breaking down waste.

I prefer they leave my house alone. As an option, I have piles of wood waste for them to eat, hoping to appease their hungry little spirit.

By Hal on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

I have no friggin clue as to what this "diazanon" is, but I can give you fellows a little home secret in bug control (and hell its even fun when the little bastards have wings.) Here are the ingridients you will need.

1 Safety Mask.
    1 Zippo
    1 Value Package of WD-40
    1 Standard issue chemical fire extinguisher
    2 cans of Aeorsol cooking grease.
    1 (and if this is something more then bug control a case of beer.)

I've found that this works great for all the fuckin' yellowjackets we have in Montana, and I know it works great for other wasps and bees, I'm positive it would work wonders for Misquitos.

Spray said bug down with the cooking grease, just spray in a general arc, it coats their wings and they can't fly, it also covers the holes that they breath from and cuts their breathing, now if the sudden grounding and suffocation doesn't kill them, which you ALWAYS assume it doesn't for both practical value (bugs have a vengance) and for entertainment value. You take a said can from the WD-40 package insert red directional tubing, strike up the Zippo, and let the flames fly. Torch the sons of bitches, and it doesn't take much just a small blast. The reason to use the red tube for direction is it will melt preventing fire from entering your can (which would be bad.) when the tube reaches about a two inch length get a new tube. Please be carefull, and enjoy the Bug-B-Q.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

Hal, dress comfortably. Hell is very very hot.

By pez on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

saw ticks and almost had a second sting over the weekend.

i was doing birdathon, a gonzo trip lasting 48 hours...saw about 216 species.

no mosquitoes despite being fairly close to klamath lake much of the time.

By Hal on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

Dougie, I already know I'm going to hell... Fuck their expecing me. I've got a nice lucritive job ready for me, a condo on the 7th level, fuck the condo's nice too... Airconditioning, Ice Machine, Cable...

By Czarina on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

You can sit by me Hal,I've got a chair up front:)

By Hal on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 04:35 pm:

And we can watch all the great TV show's at my place, remember I've got cable...

Its will be one HELL of a friggin party.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 04:58 pm:

Had a tick on me yesterday, caught hiim on the leg as I was walking back from the portajohn. It's the price you pay if you want to wear shorts.

By pez on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 01:04 am:

i'm glad not to be in tick country much....

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 01:22 am:

Anybody else got the west nile thing going? They already found 2 dead crows with it here. Meaning more spraying this summer. As a bonus, they say that the helicopters will be blasting Ride of Valkyries this summer as they spray.

By Hal on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 09:44 am:

Fuckin' awsome...

By J on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

I'll never forget the day I found a tick on me,I was living in W.V.,just a month or two before my dad died.I was reading a book and noticed a mole on my tummy that was never there before,on further inspection it was a tick,but I didn't know it was a tick at the time,I thought it was a crab.I told my mother whose brother and sister-in-law were visiting us at the time,everyone freaked and had to be de-loused,further improving my postion as the family black sheep.Ba

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact