Lord of the Rings

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Lord of the Rings
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

G-ddammit, people, I want to talk about the Lord of the Rings.

I want to talk about the book of the Fellowship of the Ring, and I want to talk about the movie.

I want you to tell me what you've heard about the movie, what your expectations are, when you're planning to see it, how excited you are, what you're dreading, what you're salivating about...your general disposition towards the film.

I want to know your favorite character(s) and your favorite scene(s). I want to hear your theories concerning the origin of Tom Bombadil. Expound at will, and spoil away.

Semillama, you go first, since I know you can.

By moonit on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

Dammit, I want to go first.

I am hanging out for the movie. Not just because it was shot in New Zealand and I want to play 'Count the Shortland Street (bad drama) Stars', but because they (the tv stations and news networks) keep tempting us with the most amazing looking scenes.

My friend Jemma in Wellington worked for the company who did the special effects, and she got to see all that they had shot on her first two days. She also got to go drinking with the stars, who she said, were really down to earth.

I loved the books - Mum had special editions, but they seem to have vanished.

So we are both waiting, and hoping I win the competition off tv to go the premiere.

Oh and for the first week, they are trying to rename Wellington to Middle Earth.

By Spider on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

Moonit, you know I am jealous.

So, girl, if you loved the books, what did you love? Whom did you love? What parts?

By Spider on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

So, you know...old T. Bombadil is the most interesting to me. Who is he? Where did he come from? Outside?

I thought this was an intriguing theory.

By J.R.R. Smartypants on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

I loved when he would dance those Irish dances with his arms down at his sides and his feet flailing wildly with his troupe all around him and that really hot redheaded chick would mimic all his moves and by the end they'd all be exhausted from dancing so wildly and not using their arms to balance themselves and Piggy's glasses get broken in all the hooplah and then Bilbo lights them all some pipeweed and they all have a good liedown.

By semillama on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

I went to BK today and bought me a little figurine of Sam with a light-up cook fire and a light up goblet.

My favorite characters have always been Legolas and Gimli. In FOTR, I liked the Moria sequence the best.

As far as the movie goes, I have been following it very closely and am damn impressed with the dedication of Peter Jackson. This trilogy of movies is going to be classic. The cast looks great, the settings are spectacular and the special effects are very impressive, in that they aren't obvious CGI like in Phantom Menace, for example. I can't wait to see the Balrog and Gollum (both CGI). The orcs look great. I can't wait to hear the accents and hear Elvish. Forget Harry Potter, this one has real vision.

how's that?

By semillama on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 04:23 pm:

BTW, I don't like that theory. Airtight my ass. It's a weak explanation - why would the Witch-King help the ring bearer at all? I think Bombadil may have been one of the Eldar. I'd have to go back and read the Silmarillon again though to guess who he is, though.

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

It's been to long since I've read any Tolkien.

I'll have to start again.

By Tupelohoney on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

Spider,

you are one sad puppy if you are still reading that tolkene trash after the age of 10.

fairies and ghosties and ufos are all nonsense.

get real there is a whole world out there geek.

By patrick on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

coming from someone who praises the book Lost Souls.

By eri on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 08:45 pm:

I have to say that at the age of 10 I found the Tolkein books difficult to read. I wasn't able to get into them. Now, I love something that is entertaining. It doesn't have to be realistic. I have enough realism in my life. I want something that is going to take me to another place and another time. These books sound great, although I am not too familiar with the stories, and with a cast like that I can't wait to see the movie.

If the fact that I want to escape the "whole world out there" makes me a geek, so be it. I don't care about that. I just want entertainment. This movie looks like it will provide just that.

I saw the movie "Lost Souls". It was interesting, but dull and the ending sucked. Oh no, the devil is real, kill the man so the devil won't incarnate his body. Yipee.

I think that there is nothing wrong with escaping reality in a book or a movie. That is what makes them different. If everything were about the real world it would get damned boring damned fast.

By semillama on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 08:49 pm:

and has the grammatical abilities of a
    retarded guinea fowl.

Spider, wann come to columbus and catch
    that flick?

I just saw the Fox special on the films, with a
    sneak preview of the Moria scene in Balin's
    Tomb - ohhh yeeaaah. The special would
    have been lame, as it was clearly aimed at
    illiterates like those certain folks who have
    nothing intelligent to add to conversations but
    probably feel they're a real wit (tupelohoney),
    but even with the cheeseball narrator it
    rocked. Orlando Bloom has a mohawk!

By semillama on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 09:02 pm:

And, another thing Bombadil could be is a
    Maia.

Too bad he's not in the film.

By dave. on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

i think bombadil is illūvatar. the wraith king was the leader of the nazgūl, who were men corrupted by the nine rings of sauron. tom said he was there before the dark lord came from outside. i think that means before melkor arrived to corrupt his creations.

i think he's like an avatar of illūvatar, chillin' in the old forest with his fly girlie, goldberry.

peace out.

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:23 am:

dorks

By Spider on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:28 am:

Dave, that is a fascinating theory. Let me look into it further.

Too bad he's not in the film, indeed. Do you know if the barrow-wights will be?

I think Orlando Bloom will make a smashing Legolas.

By The Watcher on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 06:11 pm:

Didn't Tolkien write a poem about Tom Bombadil that was published outside of the Lord of The Rings?

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:34 pm:

dang. i meant witch king.

this site is pretty cool unless you're patrick.

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:49 pm:

yeah, the watcher. it was some crappy, forgettable poetry junk.

the stupidest, most annoying part of tolkein's stories are all the lame songs and poems. i just skipped over that shit.

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:59 pm:

blah blah blah

I wrestled a snake last night. I am the witch queen.

By dave. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 12:02 am:

i hope it was satisfying.

By dave. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 01:20 am:

danny bonaduce would have made a smashing bomdadil.

By dave. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 01:26 am:

By Cat on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 03:10 am:

Will you stop with that Danny Bonaduce stuff, ya fag.

By dave. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 04:34 am:

never!

By moonit on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 02:43 pm:

My friend Ged has a ticket to the first show in chch. bastard.

By semillama on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 09:39 pm:

Advance tickets aren't on sale here until the
    5th. I am debating how many to buy, as I am
    unsure who would want to go. Not liek I can
    count on a date, so maybe I should ask
    around.

By Pug on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

I've had so many copies of Tolkein's Ring Cycle over the years it isn't funny...had an old hardcover edition for the longest time(sold it to an antiquarian when I was unemployed--didn't get paid much for it, either). Funny thing is I've been struggling to get through FELLOWSHIP off and on since I was, like, 12....picked it up again a week ago and I think I'm finally succeeding.
    So far I think Tom Bombadill MIGHT be the most intriguing character----so he won't be in the movie???? Figures.
    Almost jumped the gun yesterday and bought THE TWO TOWERS.....don't really wanna, tho, 'til I'm done w/FELLOWSHIP....
    Visited the LOTR movie site and found it real interesting that they credit an actor as playing Gollum but won't show any kind of a picture...
    Of course, Gollum, outside flashback, really doesn't play into FELLOWSHIP at all, does he?

By dave. on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

yeah, he's in there.

By Platypus on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 02:21 pm:

Yeah, he's definently in there.

Tom Bombadil is one of my favourite characters. Are they really cutting him out? Those facists.

They don't sell advance tickets here, although I have seem mummies and daddies duking it out over Harry Potter tickets recently.

By LoneStranger on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

I read The Hobbit and the LOTR series back in elementary school. I read them again last summer. I also read The Silmarillon and Unfinished Tales. I am currently reading The Lost Tales 1. I plan on reading all the rest of the history of Middle Earth, and may get it done sometime before my first child is born.

Which means within 10 years or so.

LS

By semillama on Sunday, December 2, 2001 - 07:17 pm:

The reason they don't show Gollum is that his
    appearance is a secret - he's CGI. The actor
    provides the voice. The balrog is CGI and I
    hear it's scary and so right on.

17 days!

By Spider on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 08:38 am:

Supposedly there's a big debate over whether or not the Balrog should have wings. But in the book, when Gandolf fights the Balrog, the book itself says it has wings. So what gives?

Have you heard Gollum's voice in the preview? Excellent. (You can download the previews here -- http://www.theonering.net .)

By patrick on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 11:59 am:

"Supposedly there's a big debate over whether or not the Balrog should have wings. But in the book, when Gandolf fights the Balrog, the book itself says it has wings. So what gives?"

my fucking god.

I don't know who is a bitchier bunch...the Star Wars fanatics or you guys.

Dave what is equally disturbing is your knowabouts of such a picture.

the mantits..

By Spider on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

Hey, d00d, I did not say that I was a participant in that debate, only that I was aware of its existence.

By moonit on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

To watch the making or to not watch the making. That is the question...

By Platypus on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

Don't watch, then the movie won't be suspenseful.

My impression of the balrog was more amorphous, like it could have wings...or not...does it really matter?

By LoneStranger on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

I don't remember references to it having wings. I could have forgotten though. I think that if they don't have wings on it when it should, I shall be pissed, but I'll get over it.

LS

By Spider on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 07:27 pm:

"The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall"

--p.429 in my edition.

Ha!

By LoneStranger on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 08:49 pm:

Well. Then they should put them in the movie. If not, they fucked up.

LS

By semillama on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:10 pm:

Whatever. from what I have seen so far, there
    are no worries and should be no letdowns.
    Peter jackson is to be commended. 16 days!

any sorabjites that want to come to columbus
    and watch it with me, let me know and i will
    buy your ticket.

By Antigone on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 11:28 pm:

You tempt me.

By Antigone on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 11:29 pm:

I'd drive, though.

By Pug on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 09:54 am:

My recollection of the Ralph Bakshi version is that the Balrog had wings....the Balrog, actually, was the best part of the Bakshi version, for my money...

By semillama on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 06:13 pm:

Except for the bunny slippers it was wearing.

Tom Bombadil was actually just another
    avatar of "Bob". There, glad to get that off my
    chest.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

By NZA on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 11:24 pm:

Got tickets for a special screening put on by the social club at work on Dec 23rd. Only NZ$5 (about US$2) including popcorn and cola.

Can't wait. Just have to decide who to invite on the two extra tickets I got - any offers?

Apparently they sold all 197 seats in two days = a social club record. Shame they aren't doing a Harry Potter night too, but at this time of year there's so much going on!

I saw some nice pics of the sets for hobbiton, edoras, etc on Scoop.co.nz, and stuff.co.nz has a long story about the technology and sfx programme for the next two movies under the infotech link (sorry, too lazy to link it).

By Chupacabra on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 10:47 am:

NZA there must be 2 losers somewhere who wanna see that dreck.

Theres plenty on here most nights.

By Chupacabra on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 01:15 pm:

CHUPACABRA!

By LoneStranger on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 02:08 pm:

Speaking of bunny slippers....

I kidnapped the slippers from the girl down the hall. You know, the one that I am interested in.

They are bunnies. I sent her a ransom note last nite. I don't know what kind of demands I can make of her. I'm a nice guy.

I'm also having flashbacks from when Nate and Marc kidnapped my bear that a girlfriend had gave me. I got similar notes.

LS

By moonit on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

NZA! Two tickets? you could auction them on trade me!!!!

By Czarina on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 09:45 am:

Maybe you could suggest she use her powder puff to powder your puff?

By Spider on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

Hey, I want to talk about the Lord of the Rings some more.

I just finished "The Two Towers" a few minutes ago...it was a slow day today. Anyway, I was surprised to find myself quite moved by a scene at the near end -- Sam, Frodo, and Gollum climb up the long stairway to the secret entrance to the mountain, and Frodo falls asleep with his head in Sam's lap, and Gollum comes upon the two of them sleeping and has his strange reaction. I liked that a lot. That may be my favorite part in the whole story.

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:32 am:

Yeah, That part really demonstrated how
    much tolkien had everything thought out and
    how much effort he put into each character's
    motivation. A lot of people dismiss the LOTR
    as literature because of it's genre but it really
    does stand out as among the absolute best of
    the 20th century. Plus - 12 days!!!!!!

By Spider on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:50 am:

So who's seen it??

Not me. :(

I have to wait till this weekend (Sunday?!) to see it with my brother and our friends. I think my brother saw it last night, though, the wretch.

People at work say it kicks the ass of everything.

I'm dying. 3 more days.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

That movie fuckin' rocked.

It was loooooooong, too.

Why wait? Just go see it tonight. :)

By Platypus on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:42 pm:

I have to wait until friends get here on the 25th to see it. I think I'll just hide at home and not pass the movie theatre...it would be too tempting.

Tell me, how good do you think the casting was? Because everyone looked very odd in the previews, and I'm getting rather concerned.

By moonit on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

I think I am going this weekend. I hope.

Seen heaps on interviews with Peter Jackson... and we even ran a LOTR special - 4 colour pages of pics and an article as a pull out and keep thing last wed.

By Spider on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

I can't see it tonight - I have to make cookies. And tomorrow night I'm going home, and no one will be around to see it with me, except my dad, who doesn't want to see it. And Saturday, my brother will be busy with his band, and my friends won't have come home yet. Sunday it will have to be.

By Hal on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

Saw it...

Good...

Ass numb.

By Antigone on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

Hot damn, go see it by yourself. I never understand people not going to see movies just because there's no one else to see them with. Do you not go to the grocery store if there's no one to go with ye? Naw! So go to the frikkin' movie.

The casting was superb, Platypus. Acting was top notch. Every actor fit their character very well without overdoing it. In fact, most of the movie was like that. It was very intense, but was never overdone. There were so many parts that could have been cliche but weren't because of the flawless execution. So many elements went to the edge of being "too much," but none of them went too far, so the net effect was a very powerful movie.

I'm definately going to see this movie multiple times in the theater.

By Spider on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 04:38 pm:

I couldn't go by myself - I want someone I know with me so I can share the enjoyment with them. Plus, I'd feel like an idiot waiting in line by myself. I'll just wait.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

Spider,

Go. I always go by myself. My wife no longer goes out except to the doctors.

It's not that bad. Just find a good seat. Sit back. And, let yourself be drawn into the movie. It's even better than a big screen TV.

By semillama on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

I actually bought a ticket from movietickets.com so I could have a ticket in hand before hitting the theatre tonight. I am going an hour early just in case.

I will probably see it multiple times just this holiday week. I am going by myself tonight so my first time will be in a good theatre.

By moonit on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 03:10 am:

I need someone to go with in case I cry.

By Pug on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 09:53 am:

I'm gonna try to catch it this afternoon....
    Finally finished reading FELLOWSHIP....DAMN, what a dense tome!!!!!!!!
    It never really struck me before about Tolkein's way of handling a scene----his descriptive power is great inasfar as creating some really ominous and frightening imagery....
    Well....I'm off to see the Wizard.....

By droopy on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 10:18 am:

this is something i remember reading. it's about tolkien at oxford university.

"Not Tolkien, either, but then he was an appalling lecturer. He spoke unclearly and slurred the important words, then he'd write the on the blackboard but keep standing between them and us, then wipe them off before he turned round."

- kingsley amis

By Ricci Lake-Riccardo on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

This will offend, but my honest opinion is that Lord of the Rings is for nerds who want to appear literate. Always has been, always will be.

By LoneStranger on Monday, December 24, 2001 - 09:48 pm:

droopy... sounds like a true genious.

Seriously.

It's the oddballs who are the smart ones.

Too bad I'm only half odd.

LS

By J on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 01:05 am:

Droopy is the bomb,are you half-assed?

By Cat on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 02:48 am:

I think, toradorable J, that LS was merely referring to Droopy's comment re Tolkein.

However, you are right. Droopy is the H & the A bombs mixed together with some extra plutonium on top for good measure.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

i hate it when you ass kiss cat.

your better suited for the sultry and surly.

By Cat on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 05:34 pm:

But Droopy's ass is so kissable. Can't I even have a little peck, a flick of the tongue, a tiny nibble?

By patrick on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 06:15 pm:

MY GOD YOU'RE SO SO SO SO SLUTTYYYYYY!!!!!!

By droopy on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 06:19 pm:

:-ß

By Cat on Wednesday, January 2, 2002 - 11:52 pm:

I'm slutty putty for the right bloke.

By patrick on Thursday, January 3, 2002 - 11:28 am:

droop you got me on that emoticon sir.

is that a pair of eyes, nose, and a pair of nuts in your mouth?

you've shattered the myth cat.

universal sluttiness was imperative.

danggitt

By Pug on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 10:09 am:

"Slutty Putty"----I like that!!!!!
    Someone needs to market it----I'd sure as hell buy some!

By Angry angry angry on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 08:36 pm:

HOW MANY PAGES ARE IN THE LORD OF THE RINGS THE TWO TOWERS BOOK!!!! TELL ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By heathtr on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 09:05 pm:

you missin some

By semillama on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:45 am:

um, go look.

spaz.

By spunky on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 11:50 am:

6 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, until the extended DVD of The Two Towers.......
    But I have to wait until after we move before I get it. It would be wrong of me to buy it while I am out here in. Did you realize that DVDs are cheaper on the day they are released then a week later?
    I got the two towers for $14.99 the day it was released, and it was $18.99 a week later.
    T3 is $15.99 at Besty Buy right now, and next week it will be $19.99.

what, 31 days until ROTK?

By semillama on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

something like that.

yowza!

By Spider on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

3...31 days??

AAAaaaaahhhh.

By The Watcher on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 05:39 am:

After all this time The Hobit is coming out as three movies?

I recently started rereading Tolkein's works.

I haven't picked up the LOTR yet. But, I have read Lost Tales, The Silmarillon, and The Hobit.

I'm really surprised that I'm not that impressed with the Hobit. There just seems to be something lacking from that work. I just can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

By heather on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

A b.

By jac on Saturday, January 25, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

well done, heater!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact