Integrity

sorabji.com: What do you want?: Integrity
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 11:42 pm:

I've been thinking a lot about integrity since my friend John died.

It's the one adjective that really sums up his life and his soul. John knew he was dying yet he was gracious and interesting and stubborn and funny until the end. Integrity.

I'm beginning to think it's the most important thing to me in the people I love. The vital ingredient that binds me to new and old friends.

Mark has it. Dave has it.

I don't know that I have it, but I am going to work harder to ensure one day someone might catch a glimpse of it in me.

By R.C. on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 01:53 am:

Sorry for yr loss, Cat. What killed yr friend? I hope that he passed peacefully w/out a lot of pain.

Integrity is pretty high on my list, too. Integrity's a lot like privacy -- once you give it up/it's nearly impossible to get back.

By dave. on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 02:25 am:

i dunno, cat. i wonder if you mean something else when you say "integrity". i wonder if i've been somehow deceiving you. or maybe i don't understand the real definition of the word.

integrity in the common man (and woman, of course) is not a valued characteristic in this modern society. it will get you nowhere. I know, there will always be the fairy tale exception but, in general, it is a dead end. integrity will guarantee you a place in the working class. it will bind you to the classification of victim. it will prohibit you from ever getting to a level where you can interface with those who actually make policy. integrity will most likely close doors that would open themselves to more disingenuous and opportunistic types.

at least that's my excuse. the truth is that integrity is a secondary, or maybe even tertiary characteristic. the most amoral, capitalist, fascist can have integrity.

By Cat on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 02:48 am:

Well I guess I think of integrity as being about honesty even when it's easier to be dishonest, having the strength to be different, maybe a dash of stubborness, being loyal, having some ideals that you stick to, and being able to stand up when you need to. But mostly it's about honesty within yourself.

By that definition a facist could have integrity, I suppose. Actually one of my dearest friends is a Liberal Party supporter (Republican in your language), and even though I don't agree with most of what he believes, he still has spades of integrity.

By Antigone on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:04 am:

fuck you and the wave of self righteousness you rode in on.

how's that for honesty?

By moonit on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:06 am:

surfed in on? canoed in on? wave-boarded in on?

By Moonit on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:10 am:

boogie-boarded in on? boated in on?

I think I need sleep.

By Hal on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:12 am:

Drove in on....

Humped in on...

Dove down on...

By moonit on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:14 am:

I like dove down on.

By moonit on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:15 am:

and not just because it sounds dirty

By Cat on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 05:47 am:

"fuck you and the wave of self righteousness you rode in on.

how's that for honesty?"

0.5/10

Honesty would be if you added an insult about my butt.

Was I being self righteous? I don't know, I thought I was just musing on the qualities of a dead friend.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

though i think dave's jaded, self defeatist view on the matter amusing, he's partly right.

my wife has the most integrity of anyone i know and unfortunately is has led her to some world of hurt. mostly professionally though.

id like to take issue someone with american republican values using the adjective "liberal" to identify themselves. american republicans are the anti-liberals. Not just in socio-political issues either.

By Czarina on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 12:28 pm:

Integrity is simply being honest to yourself.

And,sometimes thats the hardest thing to do.

Stand by your convictions.It isn't important if they are right or wrong,whats important is your personal belief in them.

I can give an example:
    My fathers wife is very religious.I cannot tell you all how much I admire her.She really lives her belief.I have never known her to say a mean thing about anyone.I have never heard her curse,['cept once when she let out an, "oh fudge!"

which had us all rolling on the floor[in secret]

she is just so sincere in her beliefs.and,if that isn't interesting enough,she is a Jehovahs Witness.I have always admired her strenght.and she's a nice person.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

Please don't tell her where we live!!!

By semillama on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 08:01 pm:

puzzling over antigone's comment.

and thinking about greedy relatives (not mine).
    I would tell you more but it's not my story to
    tell.

By JoE kEWl on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 12:52 am:

i want a big bag of money

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

Sem,

Is JoE kEWl one of your greedy relatives.

All he seems to be able to say today is "i want a big bag of money".

He can have one only after I get one. I think I need it more.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact