To know the difference between April Fools Day in Canada and US

sorabji.com: What do you want?: To know the difference between April Fools Day in Canada and US
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

My Canucklehead friend Tom claims that in Canada and also in England, they only celebrate April Fools Day until noon.

Can the Canadian Sorabjites shed some light here?

By Gee on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

News to me. Maybe your canucklehead friend Tom was playing a prank on you.

Semillama, anthropology is messing with my mind, and it's really pissing me off. I can't think about things the same way that I used to, it I'm really bitter about it. Yesterday my roommate was talking about stereotypes and I caught myself saying something like "Well, some scholars say that race has no meaningful biological definition outside of the social assignation to biology." and I felt like a big nerd. Who actually Speaks like that?!?

School is killing me. I hate reading, and I hate thinking, but I can't stop doing either. My head hurts a lot. I'm not sleeping so much. What's so great about anthropology, anyway?! I miss humanities. I was used to thinking in that style. I'm really really sleepy.

I love the ethics of anth., though. and the mind-opening capacity is pretty neat, but I kind of miss being ignorant about the impact I might have on other cultures.

the other day I was telling Jonathan about prostitution tourism in Thailand, and he said something like "Well, some of our morals are just better than theirs.", which freaked me out. He didn't get it. I tried so hard, and he didn't get it. How could you not get it?

yesterday I had an exam and they asked about the Mead-Freeman debate, and I got all excited because I love that controversy. Then I felt silly about my excitement, just like when I get goosepimples at the end of "The Breakfast Club" and then I roll my eyes at myself for being such a huge geek. Judd's fist in the air is so seriously lack-luster I don't know why it gets to me, but it does. Who would you vote for: Mead or Freeman?

I'm not sleeping so much, and I'm starting to get paranoid and my head hurts all the time and I'm a little concerned about my friend Ron because he works in a hospital and there's that SARS thing and I just wish it were next tuesday because then I would only have one exam left to worry about. and then I can sleep. for days and days and days. it's gotten so bad that I can't even read for fun anymore. I tried to read some comics the other day and my brain just wouldn't have it.

My body has never felt so much caffeen and sugar. I'm thinking about a brownie right now. I'm also thinking about commoditization and staging authenticity. somebody make it stop, please.

But anyway, no. I don't know anything about that April Fools Day rumour.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 04:00 pm:

Thanks, Gee. Sounds to me like the best thing you could do to solve your anthro problems is to go to Emory University and enroll in the Women's Studies program. I'm sure Kazoo would agree.

By moonit on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 04:08 pm:

Sem, we only have it until noon as well. So does England.

By kazoo on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

Welcome to my world Gee! I know EXACTLY how you feel.

By Bigkev on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:01 pm:

yes, in canada (as far as i know, and have ever heard) april fools prnaks pulled after Noon are frowned upon..

There is a Simpsons episode where bart pulls a prank that lands homer in the hospital (for a couple of months) when he gets out (at 3 mins to Noon) he tells the family they're going to hawaii, then laughs and says "HAHA, (pionts at clock) Its april fools for three more minutes"
    of course the cock could be saying 3mins to midnite, but who gets discharged from the hospital at midnite?

By J on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

We didn't have it here today,something about since we don't have daylight savings time,but the groundhog saw it's shadow so green beer for all.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

heh.

Never heard of this ridiculous no tricks after noon thing before.

Where's the fun in that?

By eri on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

The schools provided all of the children with notes that look like disciplinary notes to bring home that say April Fool in them. Ugh. It didn't end at noon here!

By eri on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 05:37 pm:

The schools provided all of the children with notes that look like disciplinary notes to bring home that say April Fool in them. Ugh. It didn't end at noon here!

By wisper on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 06:17 pm:

oh my god eri, that's the funniest thing ever.

i always figured the till noon thing was just to save school teacher's sanity.
    I figure anyone playing pranks after highschool is a tool anyway.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

With the problems we have been having with Hayley as of late, that may not have been the best thing...

By trace on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

let me just say I would not have found it terribly amusing. Hayley already appears to think being discilplined is a joke

By Platypus on Tuesday, April 1, 2003 - 07:45 pm:

I hope everybody said "white rabbits" when they woke up this morning.

There was some sort of strange hippie parade that invaded our work and I hid. I don't approve of the April Fools.

By sarah on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 02:53 pm:

strange hippie parade? you're talking about the first church of the last laugh's st. stupid's day parade?

and it made you angry?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

Its true...

no tricks after noon

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact