A Letter to the RIAA

sorabji.com: What do you want?: A Letter to the RIAA
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Jean Barnard on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:20 am:

I cannot accept that the "Land of the Free" is accepting the nonsense propounded by the RIAA.

This desire to fine and litigate is becoming pervasive and foolishly assumes that you can modify normal human behaviour with LAW.

Firstly - all art forms are like children in that the creative urge is similar to the urge to reproduce. If we accept this analogy then it follows that as you do not own your children for their entire life you cannot expect to own your art for it's entire life. In fact, if the rules currently in force where in place in the earlier part of the last century then many films could not have been made and much music could not have been produced. Music belongs to us all.

Forever. Period. And we all inherently know this.

Secondly, Prohibition should have taught your law makers that their position is untenable

Thirdly, if your lawmakers studied history they would see that innovation actually expanded the market for entertainment - video and television allowed for sales and rental, and thus income, out of all proportion to what was possible before.

The RIAA should get off its high horse and tell its members to embrace this technology - like Apple but more and better. Look at the really old stuff and give it away plus sell the new good stuff at a price people are prepared to pay.

The RIAA is forgetting that the customer is ALWAYS right and he/she will and can vote with his $$$$. For too long I have bought CD's filled with trash I do not want because there is 1 tune that I want - hell yes, I feel that the music industry has ripped us off and now that the customer is fighting back they want to litigate.

RIAA GROW UP - you cannot (in the words of spoilt children) take your ball and go home because you are not getting your own way.

By Rowlf on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

If the RIAA was smart, it would work with Clear Channel to make radio playlists either more diverse per station or to diversify the kinds of stations they hold... i think the shittiness of whats on radio and MTV hurts just as much as the shittiness of the filler on these shitty albums themselves...

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:23 am:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

...okay, well actually, this kind of technology is fair game by the RIAA in preventing piracy. I just think its hilarious they keep falling on their face.

Someone else try this out and see if it works, I can't even give it a shot til tonight...

Simple Flaw in CD-Copy Protection System?
    Tue Oct 7, 3:00 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Princeton graduate student said on Monday that he has figured out a way to defeat new software intended to keep music CDs from being copied on a computer -- simply by pressing the Shift-key.

In a paper posted on his Web site late Monday, John Halderman said the MediaMax CD3 software developed by SunnComm Technologies Inc. (OTC BB:STEH.OB - news) could be defeated on computers running the Windows operating system by holding down the Shift key, disabling a Windows feature that automatically launches the encryption software on the disc.

Halderman said the protection could also be disabled by stopping the driver the CD installs when it is first inserted into a computer's drive.

Computers running Linux (news - web sites) and older versions of the Mac operating system are unable to run the software and are able to copy the disc freely, he said.

The CD in question, Anthony Hamilton's "Comin' From Where I'm From," was released by BMG's Arista label in late September. Music retailers praised the release, which BMG touted as a breakthrough in the industry's efforts to prevent music piracy.

"SunnComm's claims of robust protection collapse, when subjected to scrutiny, and their system's weaknesses are not only academic," Halderman said in the report.

A spokesman for SunnComm was not immediately available to comment on the report. A spokesman for BMG, a unit of Bertelsmann AG (news - web sites) (BERT.UL), said the company viewed the software as a "speed bump" to prevent mass piracy of the disc.

"We were fully aware that if someone held down the Shift key the first and every subsequent time (they played the disc) that the technology could be circumvented," BMG spokesman Nathaniel Brown told Reuters, adding the company "erred on the side of playability and flexibility."

Halderman, who has previously done research on CD copy-protection techniques and their effects on consumer sentiment, called the latest protection attempts into question.

"CD copy-prevention schemes that (depend) solely on software, as SunnComm's does, will be trivial to disable, and alternative strategies that modify the CD data format will invariably cause public outcry over incompatibility with legitimate playback devices," Halderman said.

The music industry has blamed piracy and online file sharing services for a prolonged slump in CD sales. Software like that from SunnComm has been seen as a way to slow down the tide of CDs being ripped into digital format and uploaded to the file sharing platforms.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

Wait until this guy is prosecuted under the DMCA for circumventing security measures.

I'd wager that people playing the CD under Linux of MacOS could be considered to be using an "encryption circumventioon device." How much you wanna bet?

By TBone on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 07:20 pm:

The shift key is now a copy-protection circumvention device. Keyboards will now come with their shift keys glued in the up position to keep users from unwittingly breaking the law.
    Actually, Windows (with its shift-key feature) is the circumvention device.
    But use of the shift key would be made illegal before using Windows would.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 08:27 pm:

i'm wondering how long i can hold out before i use this newfound knowledge to put my 3 new copy controlled Radiohead singles onto one disc... to make it into an EP! woo!

By spunky on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 09:00 pm:

YOu know, it is not illegal to share MP3's in Canada. They had the forsight to write into law that you could do that, when VCR's were hitting it big and folks started taping movies.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 11:38 pm:

yep... i think an article about this was posted in another RIAA thread...

By Rowlfe on Thursday, April 1, 2004 - 06:06 pm:

By Rowlfe on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:10 pm:

By TBone on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:15 pm:

That's right, sabotage all sources of income! Burn the bridge you're standing on!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact