A Scary Payphone Story

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: A Scary Payphone Story
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rick age 13 on Monday, August 17, 1998 - 12:55 am:

I live in the tiny town of Baker California (Popualtion 300). There aren't that many payphones so the chance of you calling one and having someone pick up is very high. While sitting on a curb watching some of the huge trucks go by, the payphone by the McDonalds behind begins to ring (They have a McDonalds so people on vacation can stop and pee). Naturally I pick up the phone and say "Hello?" A man with a scratchy voice says "Hello, is John there?" Since I'm not John I said, "Sorry, this is a payphone buddy, you probably dialed the wrong number" "I'm watching you Mr.Levis" "What???" I said in astonishment for I was wearing Levis jeans. "I said, sorry to trouble you" He then hung up. That scared me. I looked around for a guy with a cell phone or something, when nothing could be found I ran back home feeling a bit disturbed for the fact that someone could be watching me. I thought about calling the police, but what could they possibly do except say they'd watch out for suspicious characters. A week passed and nothing like it happened. I figured it was a just a prank. The next day the phone in my room rang. I answered, "Yes?" "Hey Levis, I'm getting closer" "Who is this???" "Someone who is close." He hung up. This terrified me. I pressed *69 A recording says, "We're sorry this number can't be reached. That was 2 days ago from this date. If anybody can tell me a way to trace him without going through to much trouble, please post it on this message board.

By Steve - 18 on Monday, August 17, 1998 - 03:15 am:

Wow....Rick; I've seen my share of payphone situations and other similar things but I have never heard of anything like this more chilling. The closest I've gotten was a year or so back when some little shit was calling a payphone next to me from a carphone across the street. When I found out it was the kid, I cussed him out and threw some rotten tomatoes - which I had found on the ground - at him. But never have I heard a story like this. I suggest you report your problem to the police. Either that or find out if it's some little shithead with a pinecone up his ass trying to scare the living shit out of you. Until then, sit tight...and keep that 22 gauge shotgun next to you.

By Ol Dirty Phreaker on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 11:38 am:

If you have an answering machine with 2-way recording -start it before picking up the phone.

Record this "person's" voice whenever you get that call again. Whenever he calls -play his own voice back to him.
    --------------------------------------------------
    IF the individual making the "calls" should happen to be reading this and attempts to call again -just remember ---> Someone was watching YOU at that day and time when YOU called that payphone at McDonald's.

By Strange on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 10:37 pm:

Rick-

Ever seen Lost Highway?

Freaky stuff.

Your friend,
    Strange

By Cboss on Friday, August 28, 1998 - 11:52 am:

Get caller I.D. if ya cant then call the phone company and ask for a print out of all the calls coming to and out of your house it is bound to have the number of the guy on there. Just remember the time it happened and look for any calls on the print out during that time wala you got him. Now just scare him some. Tell him you are sending over the police to his house. You could find out where he lives if you wanted just find a search engine on the net that uses phone numbers. Well have fun and watch out for him, remember I baseball bat to the head would take him out easy heh.

By Colin on Saturday, September 5, 1998 - 11:57 am:

Cboss - If *69 won't reveal his phone number, Caller ID won't either -- *69 (and Caller ID) don't work if you subscribe to the caller ID blocking services from your local telco..
    And even if he was calling from a cellphone, *69 won't list their numbers, and I don't THINK caller id will either...

By GANKS on Monday, September 7, 1998 - 08:29 am:

Chances are he was calling you from that payphone at Rotten Ronnie's (McDonalds), since you said there were only a few phones in Baker.

By Gunner on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 11:03 am:

I have a similar problem with prank calls from a payphone. I talked to the police and if you try *57 that traces the call...basically what it does is flags it for later research. They (phone co.) will contact the local police once you have 2 or more successful traces and will investigate it.

By Karia on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 01:25 pm:

I work for a phone company (but its in the uk so I dont know if the proceedures are different) and the police have to authorise the traces before they work. Basically (here) if you feel threatened, speak to the head of the local police station (duty manager or whatever) they should have the appropriate contact numbers for the people who can authourise traces (they wont authourise it UNLESS you talk to the police) and then they can do it for you.

And Rick your're 13, can't you tell your parents/guardian?

K.

By Slacker on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 01:50 am:

i stole a phone from a dorm

By Cell fone dude on Wednesday, October 21, 1998 - 11:20 pm:

Levis, I'm getting closer

By Mr Ronnie on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 07:18 am:

I CAN SEE YOU LEVIS

By Cheeseburglar on Tuesday, December 8, 1998 - 01:14 am:

I CAN SEE YOUR CALVIN KLEINS!!

By Keely on Wednesday, December 23, 1998 - 05:12 am:

Get caller ID then have all anomynous phone calls blocked...my phone does that...so either the caller id will say unavailable or is will say name and phone number! might work who knows sorry man cahnge your number

By Jennie on Wednesday, December 23, 1998 - 05:24 pm:

RONNIE! TAKE OFF YOUR CLOTHES RIGHT NOW!!!

By Tank on Thursday, December 24, 1998 - 12:01 am:

Rick,
    Do they make levi's for 13 year old's?

By Wayner freak on Friday, April 9, 1999 - 01:46 pm:

I would report this to the police dude

By Hugh J.Organ on Saturday, April 10, 1999 - 02:56 am:

Hey Wayner

uh I forgot whut?

AAre youuuuuuuuuu reeell?!! HaHa!

By Mommy on Saturday, April 10, 1999 - 03:01 am:

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDE! NOTHIN' LIKE A FUCKIN' WAYNER! YEAH BUDDY!

By Phone-Boy Skilz on Monday, May 24, 1999 - 08:03 pm:

Hey, it could have been the "Taco Bell" dog hinting you to leave that ol' joint and come to a REAL place -like "Taco Bell"

"Yo Quiero Taco Bell."

By PiPi on Monday, May 24, 1999 - 09:08 pm:

In response to Rick age 13....... If you know the exact date and time that the call was placed the payphone company can without a problem trace the incoming call.
    Email if any ???'s

By Bill on Friday, July 2, 1999 - 03:11 pm:

Just ignore him-hang the phone up. He wants an audience, and you give it to him by responding. Eventually he will stop.

By Mr. Clean on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:47 am:

If I have to touch a payphone, I get worse shakes than when I used to do speeeeeeed.

By Wendy burgerman on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 12:57 am:

it's probably the blair witch!!!!!

By Jinafishes on Tuesday, September 28, 1999 - 05:14 pm:

Dave, is that you?

By Benjamen on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 01:50 am:

I have been calling a lot of payphones and recording the conversations and playing them on my radio show. I have been doing this for about three months now. I would really appreciate some tips on some favorite numbers

By Me on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 03:15 am:

oh, ok. actually, no. how about not.

By Gee on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:24 am:

My favorite number is 967-1111.

"9, 6, 7....11, 11...call pizza pizza, yeaaah!"

By J on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 10:54 am:

Is that Pizza Hut?

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 01:03 pm:

NO it's not.....it's a Canadian franchise called Pizza Pizza......the Greater Toronto Area number is 967-1111..........there are so many commercials on TV and radio those are the next words babies say after "Dada'.

By SAM on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 01:21 pm:

the blueradio network ahs been calling pay phones from this site and playing tapes of them on the air.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 02:35 pm:

do they have a web simulcast?

By Benjamen on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 04:09 pm:

It seems like the blue radio thing is really old. It doesn't seem like they have a web cast. My show does.

By Eyvette on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 02:47 am:

Probably some weirdo with a telescope and a phone and too much time on his hands. It is very easy to get someones number. Maybe it's an old enemy that found you again and wants to cause trouble.
    If you want to record the conversation, then get you a pocket tape recorder and tap your phone line and connect a resistor to it and then connect this to the tape recorder. The sound quality will be incredible, static free, and will not be noticeable with a good ear or any form of machinery from his end.

By Eyvette on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 02:48 am:

Also, call the police with the tape and tell them. Stay safe, Rick

By P.C. on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 11:10 am:

Move to N.Y. He won't follow you there!!!

By Piranha on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

Do you realise this kid left this message here in 1998 it's now 2001 if he hasn't got around to doin anythin allready theres somethin wrong!

By wisper on Saturday, January 6, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

or he's dead.

By J on Monday, January 8, 2001 - 06:27 am:

I killed him,cut off his penis too.

By Sean on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 01:24 pm:

Ok, thats nice thinking guys!

By Whistlers brother on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 08:10 am:

simple answer..... let him keep calling. buy a police whistle and blow that sucker as hard as you can. funny how people dont call when their eardrums are burst.

take consolation from the fact that this person will end up raped in some prison shower room!

be safe.

By Silvia on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 06:54 pm:

thanks forallyour help I am very faithful.

By heather on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 07:38 pm:

uh

yeh

sure

By Johnny on Friday, July 5, 2002 - 10:24 am:

Longest message board post ever.
    You are all Desmonds...pure Desmonds.
    Who the fuck is Rick.
    This site is off its head.
    Desmonds

By Ex cop on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

Rick,

call the cops. you are being stalked and in todays climate, people kidnapping kids and all, you could be getting set up for a kidnapping.
    see if you contact the cops they would put a trap on your line so if that creep calls again they can pinpoint the origin of the calls.
    CALL THE COPS. DO IT NOW.
    UNDERSTAND. I COULD UNDERSTAND IT WOULD BE A PRANK AT FIRST BUT WHEN HE CALLS YOU AT HOME
    THATS NOT TOO FUNNY. DID YOU TELL YOUR MOM AND DAD?
    Dont hang at that truck stop anymore.
    Watch out walking alone at night. Dont take the same route home either and if you see anybody driving around your house at night call the cops.
    WHAT YOU DESCRIBED IS VERY SCAREY AND I WOULD
    PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
    I WORKED WITH STATE POLICE AS AN INVESTIGATOR AIDE
    BEFORE I RETIRED.
    REMEMBER THATS SERIOUS.
    I ASSUME YOUR A KID. UNDER 18
    NOT GOOD...
    JUST SOME FRIENDLY ADVISE.

EX COP

By agatha on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:44 pm:

(four years later...)

By Czarina on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 04:27 am:

[and our saga continues........]

By Rick age 17 on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

Help! I've been traveling the country in the sleeper compartment of this guys truck for almost 4 years now. He's actually kind of sweet, and always remembers to get me presents on my birthday, but I'd like to get out of here and take a shower, and maybe catch up with schoolwork in time to graduate next June. Thanks!

By on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 06:01 pm:

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. The past year, I've been getting a lot of phone calls where the person either won't speak or hangs up when I pick up. It drove me to get caller id and it subsided a little because I also blocked blocked calls. Then about 2 months ago, I got a call with a cellphone # that showed up on the caller id. Naturally, I answered it and the person didn't say anything and then hung up. I felt I had them now so I wrote the number down and decided to call later. When I did call (and the # was right), it turned out the # had been disconnected. Though farfetched, I figured that maybe they realized they had slipped and disconnected the #.
    About a month ago, the same thing happened with a different #. Then today, I got a call with the same # as the original call I got like this. Of course I called back and the # was disconnected. This is bugging me out and I don't know how to resolve it. I wish I could ignore it...

By trace on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 06:26 pm:

maybe s/he just wants to hear your sweat voice

By Scott Boucher on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 04:04 am:

I bet he was killed and the creepy dude fucked the corpse!

By Admiral Stufflebeam on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 04:16 am:

does anyuone here know what happened to Admiral John Stufflebeam?

By Rick age 19 on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

(6 years have passed....)

I've stopped wearing LEVIS, so the phone calls don't bother no more.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact