New Payphone Ideas

sorabji.com: The Payphone Project: New Payphone Ideas
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Mr. Payphone on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 11:23 am:

I'm a payphone product manager in a very large RBOC. What types of services would you like to see at payphones in your area? If you could get free information with the touch of a button, would you seek out a specific brand of payphone? If the price of a call could be billed to your home number, would you use the payphone more often? What could we do to discourage you from using your cell phone and encourage you to use the payphone?

By J on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

Make them free.Take that pay off that phone.

By Mr. Payhone on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

The revenue that is earned from a payphone is shared by a number of people. The majority of calls "sold" at payphones are in a sense, free. Dial around traffic (calls to 800 numbers etc.) represent a significant portion of the calls generated by a phone. Although the company that provides the 800 number gets the revenue for the network traffic, the payphone provider is lucky to get 24-cents in PCC. The payphone user ties up a resource to place the call, but usually pays nothing. The location owner also gets a significant cut of the payphone revenue. What's left is used to pay the line expense, equipment costs, labor, and permit fees. The payphone provider earns a profit only if there is anything left over. The sad truth is.....if they were free, they wouldn't exist. Even advertiser subsidized services like free ISPs are finding that they have to charge something to survive. Nothing is free. All limited resources have a value. Would it help if the payment was delayed?

By Trace on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

Make the payphone fit in my pocket so i can take it whith me so I dont have to stand out in the cold waiting for a homeless person to beg for change, makeing me lie and tell him i dont have change as i am using change to make a call on the payphone, while smelling the rotten garbage smell that rolls out of the dumpster and rolls off the bum who is now peeing on my leg because i did not give him any change......

By Dogboy on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

how big are your pockets and are they soaked in urine?

By Bayonne Bubba on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:32 pm:

I would use payphones all the time if they had integrated slot machines that PAID OFF. There's an idea! Payphones that PAY OFF! It's all yours
    Mr. Payhone!

By Bayonne Bubba on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 10:34 pm:

By the way, Trace, you don't have to lie and say you don't have change. Just say: "NO. I WON'T GIVE YOU MONEY."

By Crown on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 11:38 pm:

All I want to see in payphphones is a coin slot for pennies..also make one that takes the washers the size of quarters you can get at the local hardware store for 1 dollar per 100....or maybe one that will actually let a tone dialer werk.....thass a start

By Crown on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 07:45 pm:

I'm a worthless piece of cow dung that finds pleasure in tormenting small domestic animals and stealing from pay phone companies. I pick up aluminum cans from dumpsters so I can earn enough pocket change to buy quarter size slugs at hardware stores. Sometimes I steal from them too. I can't wait to make license plates as a lifetime career.

By Piranha on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 05:48 am:

Mr. Payphone i wouldn't be to worried about us using our cell phones instead of a payphone. cell phones are just to hard to make free calls from.

By J on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 10:14 am:

Make them so when the call doesn't go through,you REALLY get your change back.

By The Visual Assassin on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

If they're regular payphones, take off the damn mic-mute! I would also like to see more exposed wires. Information with a touch of a button? How about the latest H/P news? As for charging a call to your home phone, sure, as long as you dont verify that it is, in fact, my home phone, and not somebody else's.

By Piranha on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 06:19 am:

sounds good to me Visual Assassin while there at it they may as well leave the keys to the coin box sitting there.

By Jgrant on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 12:37 am:

There should be more payphones everywhere. Even in backwater cities, like the kind that I live in. And maybe payphones could blow hot air in your face, for those that live in colder climates...cough,cough,new hampshire,cough......or cold air for hotter climates. It would be nice...

By The Visual Assassin on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

I would also like it if payphones were easier to destroy.

By The Watcher on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 09:00 pm:

Well Visual Assassin, you got your wish. Roughly 178,000 Bell South payphones will disappear within two years. A once vital business has been destroyed.

By The First Watcher on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:35 pm:

Must be someone new.

Because that last posting wasn't from this Watcher.

By The Visual Assassin on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

Um..watcher takes things too seriously.

By JboxR on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 01:56 am:

Combining the payphone and the slot machine is a
    real winner! Imagine the revenue you'd get with
    that, Mr. Payphone! People lining up at the
    payphones at the chance of winning at the slot
    machine. And if they won, the first thing they
    would do would be to CALL SOMEBODY and tell them
    the good news.

By Old man on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 08:53 pm:

I only use the Bell style payphones AKA
    dumb phones because I think the other phones
    which are refered to as smart phones are a
    worthless piece of SHIT. first off when you
    dial a phone # it takes almost 1 whole minute
    just for the call to go through 2nd off they
    go out of order more then the dumb phones do
    because of all the computerized chip in there.
    If you ask me they should keep using the bell
    style dumb Phones and get rid of all the others

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact