learn to swim

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: learn to swim
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Pez is afraid on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

i've been around water my entire life, but i still don't know how.

i used to take swimming lessons when i was little, but i quit after taking the same class as my little sister and failing (she passed, btw).

the thing is, i've never heard of beginning swimming classes for adults...and it would be just a little weird joining a class full of seven-year-olds...

eeeg.

By Nate on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 05:54 pm:

uh. i imagine it wouldn't be hard to teach yourself how to swim in water that is shallow enough to stand in.

By patrick on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 05:57 pm:

(see other post on previous thread)

it seems so natural....dog paddling that is, the most basic of swimming techniques.

pez with at least half a lung full of water you are buyoant enough to stay afloat....you only sink when you exhale and make no effort to stay above water...

paddling your feet forward and backward will keep you up, its that simple.

By semillama on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 06:21 pm:

Go to your local Y and see. I'm sure there are adult swimming classes in Portland.

Or, you could ask a cute boy to show you how.

By Dougie on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

No offense, Pez, but I cannot imagine somebody not knowing how to swim. Or riding a bike, etc. Definitely go learn whether or not you have to learn with 7 year olds -- once you learn, you'll love it.

By Isolde on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 06:51 pm:

There are definently adult swimming lessons.
    Learn to swim. It's really useful.

By Tired on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

I forget where you are, but at MIT and Cornell, everyone has to pass a swimming test, so you can learn to swim there and pick up tons of geek boys as well.

By crimson on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 08:56 pm:

when i took swimming in college as a P.E. requirement, there were plenty of adults--many of them middle aged women--who had enrolled in the course, but didn't know how to swim at all. in my experience, most swim classes are divided into beginner, intermediate, & advanced. being an adult & not knowing how to swim is simply not that unusual. i've been a swimmer all my life, but i know plenty of people who can't. it's nothing to be embarrassed about. there ARE adult courses. the trick is to find one that you're comfortable with.

By Pez on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 09:21 pm:

it's not like i'm really afraid of the water (i love to jump off of diving boards) but i can only dog paddle or tread water. and i'd love to learn some fancy dives.

but i really do want to learn how to swim. it would be good exercise. and if i'm going to do any more canoeing (i used to do that every summer) or try kayaking, i really want to learn how to swim first. that way i don't have to be afraid of what might happen and just have fun.

By Isolde on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 11:13 pm:

Water rocks.

By Pez on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 12:30 am:

not to mention super soaker wars.

last time i got in one, i ended up wading into the clackamas river. i slipped and fell, and couldn't get my footing again because i didn't want to let go of my water gun.

my sister had to wade out to me, and grab the gun from my hand so i could get up instead of going past the bridge and even further downstream.

it was pretty scary.

By Isolde on Tuesday, September 12, 2000 - 07:59 am:

See: learning to swim is a good thing.

By Gee on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 03:46 am:

my grandmother used to take me to swimming lessons when I was a wee tot. I was in the best in my class, but then my grandmother died and no one else would take me to my class, so I quit.

By J on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 10:02 am:

My first time swimming,my aunt took my brother and I to a public pool in Rainell W.V.,I was about 5,he is two years younger.It was on a Sunday and she had her church clothes on,dress,hat,gloves,etc.We both just jumped right in,we couldn't swim,my aunt jumped in to get us with her clothes on,she couldn't swim either,the life-guards helped us all out,she was mad and we left.When we moved out here,my Dad would dump my brother and I off at the public pool from the time it opened till closing time(he said it was the cheapest babysitter in town).I got to be a good swimmer,was on the swim team,I have ribbons and trophies for swimming,espeacially the butterfly and frog stroke.

By Ol YELLER on Friday, November 2, 2001 - 11:28 pm:

SWIMMING IS GOOD. LEARN TO SWIM!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact