fix the search engine thing-o on this here message board

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: fix the search engine thing-o on this here message board
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 01:38 am:

I mean, I would if I could, but I can't. But someone else can. If I were he, I would look into the matter. Thank you, and good night.

By Isolde on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 02:20 am:

Yeah, it's annoying. What's even more annoying is that I can't find the old word association thread.

By Gee on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 09:55 pm:

maybe it got lost. or maybe He deleted it. it was too long anyway. you should take the one you're using now and move it to a brand new thread.

but yea, the search problem is frustrating.

By Isolde on Sunday, September 17, 2000 - 11:51 pm:

I think He might have, because some of the old word associating threads are gone too.
    However, it disappeared at a wierd time. And the Caspar thread was much longer, and it's still here.

By dave. on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:13 am:

mark, you bastard. put it back!

By Antigone on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 01:05 am:

I could fix the search thing.

Actually I've been thinking of writing my own
    message board software, partially because of the
    search thing. Any suggestions for good search
    features would be helpful, or any other features
    for that matte

By Antigone on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 01:06 am:

matter

By Cat on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 03:04 am:

It would be good if it could help me find a bloke and I'd also like to know what happenened to my other red patent high heeled sandal (the one with the little black swirly things).

By -greenzeal on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 03:52 am:

I assume mark wrote this himself? quality.
    although something a bit more UBB-ish would be nice also, this design is great.

I think the search thing works fine.
    I just want to be able to post from a win-ce 1.0 machine...it doesn't let me because it thinks I'm trying to make a whole new topic or something and asks for a proper username/password combo...ihateschool

By Cat on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 03:56 am:

I would assume nothing. Except that Mark probably has my red sandal and is wearing it while he uses the Word Association thread for his own evil ends. Bastardo.

By Hal on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 07:29 am:

The search engine would be nice if it worked, but I never have seen it work, so I live without it.

Other then that, I love the whole friggin site, it acctually occupies more of my time than anything else in my life right now, so I have to appreciate it.

By Isolde on Monday, September 18, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

I think the message board format totally rocks. It's the best format for a BBS I've ever seen.

Ok. Enough praising Mark. I should go down to NY one of these days and see if I can meet Him.

By Sorabji on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:55 am:

try this. it's freeware, and it craps out once in a while, but it seems to work better than the old one. someday i'll find or make a better one. until then, everyone gets a full refund.

By Trace on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:57 am:

whoohooo! Full refunds...
    Wait a minute........

By Isolde on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 08:01 am:

Sweet. Thanks, Sorabji-God.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 12:31 pm:

he's so nice. i would have told all you whiny bitches to get you own search engine

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 03:46 pm:

Thank you, Mark.

By Cat on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:27 pm:

We all tend to forget Mark, which is probably how he likes it. But we can be an ungrateful mob.

Maybe we should all send him offerings (not live animals though).

What about we all send him a pair of socks?

Or a hankerchief?

By Mavis on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:35 pm:

yeah! that's great!!!
    i wonder what he would like the most.......

obscure brautigan novels?

By Cat on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:41 pm:

It has to be all the same thing though. So it is kind of like a collection.

I doubt he wears ties.

Underwear could be good though. And socks has possibilities.

Though hankerchiefs would allow us to be creative, and it's fairly cheap for the Sorabjites who are skint.

We need a vote.

Socks....Underwear....Hankerchiefs....????

By Mavis on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:44 pm:

hankies.

By Tom on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 05:58 pm:

Are you kidding? Underwear. Somebody must have another pair of those elephant-nose thong skivvies. right?

By moonit on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

socks

By Dougie on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

Those rainbow-colored socks with toes.

By Isolde on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 06:40 pm:

How about...art? Writing, painting, small sculpture..whatever...

By Cat on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

Well you could make the hankerchiefs into art.

The socks could also be a canvas to spurt creative juices onto.

Tho if we all just covered a postcard with some form of art, Mark could put them all together into a kinda collage.

Oh, I hate trying to decide on presents.

By Isolde on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:13 pm:

I think we should do mailart for Mark.

By J on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

I think we should send him "our" underwear.

By Mavis on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:32 pm:

J!!!
    you are BRILLIANT!!!
    yes! let's all send him our underwear!!!
    ha!

By blindswine on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 07:43 pm:

mark showed me sarah's underwear last time i was over at his place...

so it's already been done.

i think you should send him used tampons instead.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 08:56 pm:

that's what i'm going to send him. bastard.

By moonit on Tuesday, September 19, 2000 - 10:30 pm:

toothbrushes.

He could be like that guy from Universal
    Soldier with all the ears, cept He wouldnt have
    ears He'd have toothbrushes.

that was that movie ay? it was one of those
    boy movies that you get dragged along to.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:10 am:

But that leaves some of us out...the men, the women who don't bleed...

By Tom on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 02:01 am:

We have to BLEED on the toothbrush?

God, this life gets worse and worse.

By pez on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 03:22 am:

bloody toothbrush hell. let's get gingivitis!

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 11:04 am:

I was commenting on the TAMPON post, as you damn well know. I liked my art idea. Something nice for him to get in the mail, instead of a large package of used toothbrushes.

By Czarina on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:24 pm:

He did something nice for me,so I know what I'm going to send him.Something important to me.Feathers.All kinds,sizes and shapes,brilliantly colored,rich textures.They'll look great with J's panties.

Thanks again,Mark [Cz]

By T on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

Test

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:26 pm:

While Mark's at it, he could set the time on his server ahead 3 minutes. Checked it out with the NIST atomic clock, he's behind 3 or 4 minutes.

By J on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:46 pm:

Thong underwear=ass floss,there is a connection here.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:51 pm:

Yes. I've noticed that no matter how often I change the time on my computer to match his, it's always a minute off. What's up with that?

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:54 pm:

When you post, the time is from his server, not from the time on your computer.

By Isolde on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 12:57 pm:

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is that I tried to make my computer agree with the time his server has, and I can never get the two to agree.
    Capiche?

By TBone on Friday, September 22, 2000 - 08:03 pm:

I could send my hankie. I have a raging cold right now, so it's well broken-in.

By Tom on Sunday, September 24, 2000 - 05:21 am:

Bleh. I don't want to be awake at 2:30. Sick as a dog. if the dog had the head-cold from HELL. ah, well. Guess I'll call one Joyce Stewart of Wever, Iowa now. Congratulation, Ms. Stewart. You've just one a month's supply of free used hankies! No! don't thank me now! I just need all your pennies, if that's okie-dokie?

By Isolde on Sunday, September 24, 2000 - 11:11 am:

Indeed.

By Sorabji on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 07:12 pm:

OK.

I was trying to write a simple search engine, but decided not to bother since it's already been written. So I just indexed the boards with a freeware search engine.

Give it a try.

I haven't really used it much, but it seems to work OK. It's not highly sophisticated.

I just spent a half hour typing in random words and this uncovered all kinds of crazy shit.

If this gets a thumbs up, I'll set it so that it indexes these pages at some set interval, like once or twice a week.

At some point I want to move the boards to a new server and a new domain: 0-8--df80zqy-0-o-o-0-o-0-o-0-o-i-888-huhsp0-9sghasdmc---u4.com. Or maybe I'll just move them to sorabji.com.

Here is info on how the search queries work (paraphrased from the programmer's documentation):

Keywords should be written with commas or spaces between them. The case is not important.
    The search type "AND" means that the search engine will find files which contain ALL keywords.

The search type "OR" means that the search engine will find all files which contain at least one keyword.

In any search regime mark "+" before keyword means that this keyword should be in returned pages.

In order to exclude word from results type "-" before keyword, for example "+perl -CGI".

By default script will return any files where it finds the keywords. For example, if you ask "port", the search engine will find all pages with words "port", "important", "portrait", "sport", "report" and so on.

If you wish to find exact word, put exclamation mark after keyword: "port!".

By patrick on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

thank you sorabji

By Dougie on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 08:42 am:

That's awesome Mark.

By semillama on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:47 am:

You are my hero.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

love ya Mark.

and i love the new first page layout too, you magnificent bastard.

i think i spelled that wrong.

fuck off.

love you!!!

By Sorabji on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:27 pm:

i hope you're not searching against it now, because i'm updating the index right now... so nothing works for a few minutes

By Sorabji on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

ok, now it works again

By Czarina on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 07:08 am:

Yippee Skippee!!!!!!!!!!

It works!

"And all could now rest well in Sorabjiland, as an awe inspired hush, moved slowly amongst the inhabitants, and peace and contentment came home to roost".

By TBone on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 08:21 pm:

rockage.

I need a nap now.

By Cat on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 11:14 am:

Snotfucker.

It's sadly underused on these boards. But maybe if someone ever searches for it, they'll find me.

Hello. Here's your snotfucker, right here. *smooch*

By Kalliope on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 06:10 pm:

sweet mark. the night chelsea and i made the bbs connection we were commenting about how you just have the best damn board layouts evaaah'.

no seriously. you were a topic for a good fifteen minutes.

By sarah on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 11:30 pm:

i haven't used it yet... but thanks mark!

By Joe on Sunday, August 4, 2002 - 01:14 am:

yeah,...right,...whatever.

By LoneStranger on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

Lick the snot-end of my fuckstick, you puke!

LS

By patrick on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

your fuckstick snots?

there are professionals for that sort of ailment.

By Spider on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

You know what this boards's search engine thing-o could use? A way to refine searches to focus on a particular topic or topic group (like "General questions"), or date range.

That would be nice.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact