study greek mythology

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: study greek mythology
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Ophelia on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 04:26 am:

warning: this is a me post.

i was doing nothing of any importance tonight when a friend asked me who agamemnon's son was, for a crossword puzzle she was doing. being as i was doing nothing, plus it was an interesting question to me, i looked it up. searching for greek mythology got me thinking. this stuff has always been really interesting to me. this is partly becuase i grew up on a lot of these stories, with perseus interwoven with your standard cinderella and gingerbread man. i love the history and the interplay between gods and mortals. i love the sprites and centaurs. i love the competitions of wit. i love the stories simply for their value as stories. so i got to thinking about how i much i could become a scholar in that kind of stuff. so i guess i'll take some classes in the classics department. maybe i'll even learn greek. i guess i already knew that, so my epiphany was not really that. it just seems much bigger at 4 am.

by the way, agamemnon's son was orestes.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:09 pm:

Sorry to chime in here with my own experience -- I feel like I've been prattling about my college days a lot lately. Anyway...

I took a class in Roman culture -- best class ever. I learned about Roman history, politics, cooking, family life, slavery, literature, the theatre, religion, education, oratory, funereal rites, and more. It was a really fun class. I also had a very pleasant crush on my professor, a delicate young man with bright blue eyes. Sigh.

Two years later, I took a class in what I called Greek history, but it was more about how the Greeks made sense of the world. The lessons were about medicine, astronomy, sociology, geology -- broader, more philosophical topics. I didn't like that class quite as much, but that may have been because it was taught by a snobby old woman. I did get to write a neat paper on Greek pirates, though.

But anyway -- yeah, go take a class that will teach mythology! Anthropology might offer classes that would appeal to you, also.

By sarah on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:46 pm:

why don't y'all come to greece with me in march? we'll
    eat a lot of lamb and see the parthenon in athens and
    then go off to one of the remote islands and rent a hut
    on the sea and sunbathe nekkid.

By semillama on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:01 am:

Go and check out Corinth too - it's worth it.

ooh, and Mycenae! Everyone should have an opportunity to walk through the Lion Gate and wonder just how the hell they managed to move those huge stones.

(I remember it's called Cyclopean architecture because some later Greeks thought that Mycenae must have been built by Cyclopes, the stones are that massive.)

By Platypus on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

sorabjifest 2003?

By heather on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

i just need to say that i have owed sarah [oh and agatha] email for the longest time and i suck

By sarah on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

no worries heather. i would like to catch up with you though. we'll get the greece plans together when it becomes critical.

By agatha on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 12:46 pm:

yeah.

it's okay, i suck too. i'm still working on mail art from over a year ago.

i'm making progress, though.

By agatha on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

by the way sarah, and sorry to hijack the thread, but you need to post some cookie recipes for me. it's an urgent situation.

By Platypus on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 04:43 pm:

GINGERBREAD

1 2/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
    1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
    ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    ½ cup molasses
    ½ cup boiling water
    ½ cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9” square baking pan.

Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl. Add vinegar, sugar, and molasses. Mix well.

Pour boiling water and the oil over mixture. Stir thoroughly until smooth.

Pour batter into the prepared pan. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top springs back when touched and the edges pull away slightly from the sides of the pan.

Not cookies, but hey. I just rediscovered this recipe for gingerbread that I loved when I was a kid. It needs the special apple syrup to go with it to be the ambrosial delight it was when I was wee, but it's still awfully damn good.

By eri on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

I have a no bake cookie recipe, if you would like. I will only share it with fellow sorabjites, since it is an old family recipe. Let me know if you want it.

By moonit on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 10:58 pm:

share share share

By agatha on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 11:50 pm:

yes, dish!

By Lapis on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:06 am:

Ooh! That sounds really good. And it's vegan too! Yay!

I'm bringing salad to my parent's house for Christmas... Spinach, red onion, oranges, toasted walnuts, possibly some marinated and fried tofu as well.

O, I suggest you read a book called Conformity and Conflict. It has an excellent !Kung! retelling of Hamlet in it. Studying Anthropology is fun and happened to be the first thing I learned in college that I applied to real life.

Sorabjifest 2003:
    Does anyone want to come visit Portland for my birthday?

By eri on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:25 pm:

Allright....here goes

Grandma's Candy Cookies

2 c sugar
    1 c milk
    1 cube butter (1/4 lb)
    3 tbsp cocoa

mix together and bring to rolling boil for 1 full minute (any less and they wont set up right)

then add
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 c oatmeal

Mix together, spoon onto wax paper and let set for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.

Sorry, I guess it isn't really vegan with the milk and butter. I don't know about substituting anything.

Hope you like them!

By agatha on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

those sound awesome. maybe i'll make some tonight.

thanks, eri!

By eri on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

anytime

By Platypus on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

it looks like it would be hard to adapt since the milk and butter are so integral.

pez, if you need recipes filled with vegan goodness, drop me a line.

I decorated sugar cookies with an old friend yesterday. It was great fun. We have all these wacky cookie cutters, like a rhinocerous. I made a headless turkey (by accident). Hurrah for cookies.

By Lapis on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 04:56 pm:

Adapting recipes isn't so bad, with soy maregerine and soy milk. Eggs are harder. I usually use bananas instead but sometimes they can be way overpowering (like in brownies).

I'm gonna try out the gingerbread recipe this afternoon.

By Nate on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 06:05 pm:

margarine is bad for you. manufactured hydrogenated fats increase your chance of having coronary heart disease.

banana brownies sounds good. hmm.

By Lapis on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:59 pm:

I just whipped up some of that gingerbread and put it in the oven. It smells delicious. I'm taking some to work tomorrow.

Banana brownies are excellent, except the banana almost overpowers the chocolate and makes it taste _very_ rich. I remember making them with cashews.

By Platypus on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:30 pm:

rice vinegar is a good egg substitute, but you have to go easy on it. (for obvious reasons...)

nate, i thought all fats that were solid at room temp (marg, butter, etc), were bad for you? Or at least the New York Times Magazine did. Maybe I've been smoking too much crack. At any rate, I try to stay away from marg in most of my recipes anyway. I am rather fond of that gingerbread. It's the molasses that really makes it. And it keeps forever in good tupperware.

By sarah on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:23 pm:

Ingredients
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup milk
    1 large very ripe banana
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 t. vanilla extract
    1/4 t. salt
    1/2 tea baking soda
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

grease square cake pan or 9" brownie pan.

place the cocoa, milk and butter in a saucepan and melt on low heat. allow to cool slight before placing in a mixing bowl. add the sugar, egg, vanilla extract and blend until the mixture is smooth.

Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, stirring until just incorporated. pour the chocolate mixture into prepared pan. bake 20 - 25 minutes at 350 degrees. wait until the brownies have cooled to cut into squares.

if you use electric beater, the brownies will be flaky and yummy and shiny on top.

By Nate on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

you're going to believe something that comes from the east coast, platy? jesus, they don't even have fresh vegetables out there.

natural fats don't seem to be as bad for you.

i don't fucking know. i read one study and i think i know everything.

By Platypus on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:25 pm:

me too!

sometimes they have fresh vegetables. it does seem to be getting better out there. poor souls.

today i made pakistani lentil pasty things. they're great. and i also have lots of lentils to eat, too. i also whipped up a couple of loaves of gingerbread to take to the christmas party i'm going to tommorrow, and i'm about to dash off to a vegan dining event at my friend c's (hence the pakistani pastys).

i'm not really a very social person, but maybe people just get more social during the holiday season--i was invited to no less than six different holiday parties today. madness. i feel so...loved. last night i hung out with my friend m and we watched the nightmare before christmas and a charlie brown christmas. the first, as always, was great--the second was enough to make anyone suicidal. we also watched "you're not elected, charlie brown," because it was on the tape after christmas and we were too lazy to get up.

By sarah on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:33 pm:

i forgot in the directions to mention that you should blend the banana in with the sugar/egg/chocolate mixture before adding the flour. oooops, sorry.

By Nate on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:53 pm:

when i was about 10 i decided i don't like lentils. i haven't had them since. i'm not sure if i tried lentils and didn't like them, or if 'lentils' sounded too much like that barbara striesand movie. i've always hated barbara.

for lunch today i had a 1.1lb vegan t-bone steak. well, i'm guessing the cow was vegan. who knows.

By Platypus on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:57 pm:

lentils can get pretty nasty. it takes a fine hand to make decent lentils--i screwed up pounds of them before i figured out how to make them edible.

i remember going to the video store once, and we were lazy, so we just went to the counter and asked for movies...the revenge of the counter person was to give us "Putting it Together" instead of somethingorother, I forget what. i've always hated barbara too.

cows generally are vegan. funny how that works. they just murder innocent vegetables. poor grass.

By Nate on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:34 am:

heather read to me today that kobe beef is massaged with sake to make it tender. not the meat, but the live animal. mm. sake massage. must be nice, even if you do end up eaten.

By Platypus on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:12 am:

warm or cold?

By Nate on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:41 am:

good question.

By patrick on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:59 am:

probably warm.

how tender are you in a cold shower?

nico made almond brittle and lollipops over the holidays.

i made a broccoli casserole. was a bit soupy because i was impressing my brother with CA weed and subsequently added the whole can of cream/mush soup instead of half. i also used half of an onion as opposed to a teaspoon of onion that the recipe called for.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact