stomp on the constitution some more!

sorabji.com: Why I oughta...: stomp on the constitution some more!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 10:56 am:

Contact: Betsy Ensley of Environmental Media Services, 202-463-6670 or Kalee Kreider or Cara Zarcone, 202-822-5200, both of Fenton Communications

News Advisory:

-- Civil Rights, Environmental Leaders Call on Ashcroft to Drop Greenpeace Prosecution; Cite Justice Department Threat to First Amendment Right to Peaceful Protest

Leaders from a wide range of advocacy groups will join with Greenpeace at a Dec. 11 press conference to call on Attorney General John Ashcroft to drop his prosecution of Greenpeace for a nonviolent protest by several of its supporters.

The criminal prosecution of an advocacy group for the free speech activities of its members -- and the chilling effect on its activities -- is unprecedented in the United States. It sets a dangerous precedent threatening the First Amendment right to peaceful protest.

Greenpeace is facing criminal charges by the Justice Department for an action in which two activists boarded a ship carrying illegal mahogany off the coast of Miami. They carried a banner urging President Bush to stop illegal logging. The Ashcroft Justice Department indicted Greenpeace by unearthing an 1872 law enacted to prevent "sailor mongering" -- whereby owners of brothels and taverns sought to lure sailors off their ships. There are only two prosecutions on record under this law -- the last one 113 years ago.

This press conference takes place on the eve of a Dec. 12 hearing in Miami, at which Greenpeace will ask the federal court to dismiss the indictment against it.

WHAT: EMS Press Conference to Call for Halt to Greenpeace Prosecution

WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 11, 10 a.m. EST

WHERE: The J.W. Marriott Hotel -- the Russell Room, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. (14th & Pennsylvania Ave)

WHO:

-- Julian Bond, chair, NAACP

-- Ralph Neas, president, People for the American Way

-- Gerd Leipold, executive director, Greenpeace International

-- John Passacantando, executive director, Greenpeace USA

http://www.usnewswire.com/

By Nate on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

"action in which two activists boarded a ship"

this is bullshit. the first amendment doesn't give me the right to peacefully assemble in your livingroom. oooo. the chilling effect.

i still like greenpeace better than ashcroft. though, only slightly.

By kazu on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

Then why aren't the activists being prosecuted under laws that protect private property? Or whatever laws protect ships or other commerce related property from such intrusions, why the recourse to antiquated legislation?

By Nate on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

who knows? ashcroft seems to take pleasure in finding antiquated legislation and using it to assrape hippies. it is a law on the books. it is probably more likely to run through a multitude of appeals, thus draining the coffers of greenpeace.

plus, it further divides the nation. which is ultimately the goal of the republican right. because, as we all know, the right is the party of the simple people, the anti-intellectual feel good party. and there are far more simple people than educated, intelligent folk.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

in some ways I like Greenpeace.
    in other ways i despise them

most of the time I think I despise them though...

much like Adbusters magazine.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact