more signs of the apocolypse

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: more signs of the apocolypse
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Sarah on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 05:32 pm:

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (Reuters) --
    At least 20 people were injured on Tuesday when an explosion ripped through the Planet Hollywood restaurant in Cape Town's popular waterfront, witnesses said.

"At the moment it seems like it was a bomb. I heard the bomb explode and I came running," said a police officer who was among the first people on the scene.

The explosion occurred in the U.S.-franchised restaurant around 7:30 p.m., while it was packed with tourists and after-work revelers.

"It seems like something was thrown into the restaurant from outside," the policewoman said.

A Reuters correspondent on the scene said she saw at least 20 people being carried from the restaurant, many of them covered in blood. A waitress said she saw a woman whose legs appeared to have been blown off.

Cape Town, South Africa's foremost tourist venue, has been the scene of an escalating war between gangs who run the city's drug business and Muslim activists calling themselves People Against Gangsterism and Drugs.

Copyright 1998 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

By Osama bin Markus on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 06:49 pm:

Planet Hollywood? Finally, terrorism for the thinking man.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 09:38 pm:

i keep having to remind myself that white south africans are people too.

anyone have a guess as to who the anti-christ is? he must be around somewhere.

i keep thinking: if i were god, who would i let into the post-apocalyptic city of gold?

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 9, 1998 - 01:50 am:

Haven't I told you yet, Nate? Benjamin Netanyatu is the anti-christ. Isn't it obvious?

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 9, 1998 - 01:52 am:

Oops. Netanyahu. Probably misspelled it then, too. Aw, fuckit...

By Bryan on Wednesday, September 9, 1998 - 01:08 pm:

The Anti-Christ is actually the one person who knows the secret recipe of Coca Cola (a corporation who we all know are slowly paving their way towards world domination...the obvious mission statement for said Anti-Christ).

By Spider on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:15 pm:

By patrick on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:34 pm:

its about YOU spider.

because YOU are THAT scared.

motherfuckers wanna attack on election day the last thing we should do is stand down and move the date.

if they (administration) fucks with election day, say hello to a revolution.

By Antigone on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:40 pm:

Yeah, don't you love the contradiction?

If we alter our way of life because of an attack, then the terrorists win!

Except if we delay the election because of an attack. Then we win.

By Spider on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:49 pm:

When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come?

By Antigone on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:21 pm:

The monkey is wearing blue pants.
    Franz Kafka was in Baltimore yesterday.
    Do not play with fire on Tuesday.

By patrick on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

exactly spider.

By moonit on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:31 am:

By Spider on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:42 am:

Whoa, 14 out of 14 and 12 out of 14.

What would you do with that one thing in the difficult round that's got a little pink ball on one end of the lucite rod and a bigger pink paper maché(?) ball on the other?

By Spider on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:43 am:

Oh, and what the hell kind of dog toy is the white thing right underneath that? I shudder to think.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:52 am:

While they are postponing elections, or planning to, the Bush Administration is also leaning hard on Pakistan to capture a "HVT" or high value target during the Democratic convention, and/or in October.

Nice that the War on Terror can be timed so well to serve as a campaign tool for Bush.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:29 pm:

no. the scary thing is that Soaries, who not surprisingly was appointed by Bush, even ASKED to be given the authority to delay an election. yes sir, be very afraid.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:48 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:40 pm:

That was enlightening. I wish I could say it was shocking, but in this day and age, it's not.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:53 pm:

Read this speech by Al Gore. It's long but it's awesome.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:14 pm:

OK, it's really long, but at least read the first ~10 paragraphs and skim the rest if you have to.

There was an article in the paper today about how the telejournalists are calling for a debate/discussion on the postponement of the election thing, saying we're in dire need of such a debate, and I keep thinking, but..but..but if Abraham Lincoln and his Congress didn't postpone the 1864 election during the Civil War, who are these punk-ass bitches crying about the glimmer of a possibility of an attack during.... I mean, what the fuck could happen? First of all, what can someone do, worse than CIVIL WAR, that would warrant the entire country postponing the election? What can they do, firebomb the ENTIRE COUNTRY? No.

So...what? Would they attack on Election Day? Um, so if we postpone Election Day, won't the terrorists get wind of the new Election Day and just attack then? And then, what, so they attack a few cities? What about EVERY OTHER city, town, village, and hamlet in this vast land of ours? Why couldn't they still vote? I mean, if people could vote during muthafuckin CIVIL WAR, with hundreds of thousands of men in service, hundreds of thousands of men wounded, battlegrounds springing up all over the country, practically the whole state of Georgia in ruins, Richmond in ruins, bloody fighting right outside of Washington, ummmmmmm....yeah, why couldn't we vote if (IF IF IF) we were attacked, again?

I mean, WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE. This makes me want to punch a few faces.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:09 am:

Look what I found: if you can't be bothered to read Gore's speech, you can listen to it by clicking here.

By dave. on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:18 am:

i have read that gore speech. you know, i was pretty wishy washy on gore 4 years ago. motherfuck, if only. . .

i'm like 99 percent sure those are all his words, too.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:04 am:

I know. What a horrible mistake.

I keep thinking of the Bill Hicks bit on his Reagan prayer.

"please God, let this all be a horrible dream. Won't you reach down from heaven and pinch my butt to wake me up?"

Now I'm even more pissed off at republicans. Talk about deserting their ethical responsibilities. Bush should not be running for re-election, he should be facing an impeachment process.

By dave. on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:52 pm:

and they still very much control the message being communicated by the major media outlets. as long as they can frame the debate, they will have the message advantage. the popular thing now is to avoid debate on the issues and talk only about the tone and how uncivil things have become. so now, when gore or dean or whoever attempts to unveil the bush administration's methods and strategies, people immediately dismiss it as more raving.

i think that, unless we can find a way to expose the pure contempt for the electorate that drives the republican machine's propaganda, we will ultimately find ourselves in a privatised version of soviet-style fascism.

i wonder who they laugh at more -- their supporters for being so gullible or their opposition for repeatedly handing them their asses.

By sarah on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:05 pm:

By dave. on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:19 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

By Antigone on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:14 pm:

The great thing about that, if it's true, is that Bush is reckless. If he's actually stupid enough flip off someone who has a camera he could easily do it again. Maybe next time the glare from a bus window won't save him.

His handlers will probably clamp down, though.

By sarah on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:00 pm:

By patrick on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:15 pm:

um

Martha Stewart.

Prison.

is that the 4 horsemen?

By patrick on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 02:28 pm:

and her stock is going up up up!

oh my god.

hallucenigens for everyone!!!

By wisper on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

people keep asking me through this whole thing what i
    think about Martha's legal trouble, because i love her
    magazine and tv show and high-quality products
    (though i never actually buy anything).
    This is what we've come too, of course, that people
    actually get upset and defensive when one of their
    beloved celebrities goes to jail.
    Like i care! I don't even know her. If she did something
    wrong she should punished, just like everyone else.

Rowlf was watching CNN this morning* and said that
    when asked for her reaction re:sentencing, she just
    looked straight into the camera and plugged this
    month's issue of her magazine.
    Ah, she's so amazing.

*i want you to know that in case you were wondering,
    Rowlf watches CNN almost constantly.
    Sometimes i worry.

By J on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:09 pm:

Maybe Rowlf doesn't want to miss a fine commercial like this one,maybe this dumb fucker should have hired an actor.If your at work I wouldn't watch this there.

By J on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:21 pm:

By dave. on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:39 pm:

that sounds like me when i get pissed off.

ok, not really. but i do cuss a lot.

By Spider on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:44 pm:

God, that is one bitter bitter man.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact