napster vs. the world

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: napster vs. the world
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

i'm not even going to give a long entry here because it's crap.

Who's going to get sued next?
    anyone with a cassette recorder?
    anyone with a cd burner?
    anyone who can tape songs off the radio?
    anyone who can tape cds?
    like (my beloved) Napster is the only way to get free music?

are they going to shut down Sony for producing blank cassette tapes and videotapes?

why don't they sue the MP3 creation programs?

i never thought i'd say this, but fuck you Metallica.

By patrick on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

my question has always been, who the hell wants to get their music from the computer anyway. who has time to waste downloading songs and albums just to listen to them via some crappy tin can speakers......i realize there are nicer systems out there. but fuck...i personally like sitting in my living room, surround sound system, with a record sleeve or cd sleeve in my hands...and read the linear notes......the warm fuzzy of a good vinyl recording is unreplaceable....and so is my 1954 Magnavox HiFi "system"......

fuck napster...this is a surprise for me as well to say....but as musician..fuck anyone (not specifically you wisper) who thinks they have a RIGHT to anything for free.........musicians have a right to get paid for labors and creativity. If metallica desires not to have their music dist on the web, they have a right to refuse that. the music is theirs, they wrote it, they can deny ANYONE access and we can do nothing but accept that.

I often get frustrated when i can't find a particular photographers images online but i would never get angry at them or whomever owns the rights to them. they have a right to decide how, when and where they will present their music.

this will be a tough case b/c i can kinda see it from both sides, but if i had to decide now, i would side with the artists.

By wisper on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

that's the other point i'm wondering about. Who wants to download whole albums? i want the pictures! i want the case! i want the cd artwork! i want to listen to it in my car! if i really like an MP3, then i do go out and buy the album. And statistics show that this is what 90% of MP3 listners do, use MP3s as a way to sample what cd they're going to buy next. Or get rare tracks that they just can't get anywhere else. Or songs on cds they'll never like enough to buy a whole album (like Robbie Williams *shame, wisper, shame!!*)
    anyway, this potentially makes it better for the artists, as people now have a chance to sample things easier before they buy.

(i don't know where i'm going with this anymore.)

why don't they sue the electronics companys who produce portable mp3 players? (which are way too expencive for anyone to buy right now anyway)
    why don't they just fucking sue everyone?!

blah.

By on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

i want whole albums. i dl 'em, burn 'em to cd and play 'em in my car or wherever. fuck it. i just don't care. imo, the only "crime" would be if i tried to sell or generate income using copies of the music/software/whatever. that would be wrong, not to mention too much hassle. i also support the people who made DeCSS. napster sucks only because nobody likes the stuff i do. my searches always come up blank. other than that, it's a step in the right direction. i did find the new ween album which mostly sucks and i won't be buying it. however, much to my delight, i also found ween covering gin & juice by snoopy dogg dogg during the same search. that kicks!

patrick, plug your computer into your stereo. dumbass.

By patrick on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 05:18 pm:

dave........?

thats great. so i should reorganize my whole freakin house so i can listen to mp3's? i am not interested in shoving my computer on an already crammed entertainment shelf.....nor am i interested in running wire across the house, just so i can wank on mp3s. i spend enough time on the net due to a lackluster job, i'll be damned if i give myself another reason to dick around on the net. dumbass

By on Thursday, May 4, 2000 - 05:20 pm:

well, you don't have to get pissy about it.

By J on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 01:41 am:

I love napster,I still buy used c.d.s.But most the bands I want to buy are never in stock.

By wisper on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 02:33 am:

and they're sueing 3 universities too.
    i can't find out why, possibly for not putting up a server block on Napster (as most schools had to, to prevent loss of bandwidth)
    Whatever reason, that's a *big* fuck you. I mean, come on, we're talking a school here. Sueing an education facicitly isn't the way to win respect or credit from anyone. Keep your bitching to a company, not a school! What do they expect? Students barely have enough cash to eat, let alone buy new cds. I know because i am one.
    So go on back to your SanFrancisco castle Lars (literally, he lives in a castle) and just keep losing more fan respect.

he really was my favorite.

my theory is that they're just bitter about losing royalties because they know their last few albums and their next album will be so awefull that they have to get as much $$$ from the old stuff as possible.

By agatha on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 03:30 am:

i know his dad. he's an amazing man, lars' dad, that is.

By on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 07:51 am:

fuck 'em-the music industry that is. at least thats what most of my friends who are in it (band or business-wise) says. most artist's are for mp3's. and the one's who are not, well i have to agree they have a right to be mad. but i'll bet you money Lars probably one time in his life copied an album to cassette-so fuck 'im! cheeky rich cunt!

By on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 08:07 am:

enough of this thread. let me help to kill the music industry NOW. at least on this BB. forget napster. what the music industry is really afraid of and no one is talking about is

USENET

read

learn

and you will all know the truth

you can get anything, and everything you want

all at once

you can turn digital information into a physical, feely touchy thing, and i'm not talking about a car or a human being, but people, get ready, we will be there soon, or most definitly by the end of this next (2010) decade. do not be afraid. i'm ready to fly to the moon. are you?

By on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 08:13 am:

about the car and human being, i meant not YET. at least not the human being. not in our life time anyways.

By on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 08:20 am:

but we will be able to fly to the moon. like a holiday. except you will not get on a plane to fly to bali. but how about the dark side of the moon perhaps? for 10,000 pounds? or probably more by the time it happens. is that so weird? i guess i'm not afraid to fly

By Margret on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 10:37 am:

www.brunching.com

today's shuttlecock is "an open letter from metallica..."

By Margret on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 11:24 am:

www.paylars.com

Heh.

By patrick on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 12:08 pm:

sueing a school? over this crap? well, perhaps in this case i won't side with the artist.

ultimately, i believe an artist should control over their creations.....throw in a record label and a promoter and things get cloudy.....

i look to bands like fugazi as an ideal. after much success they still maintain relative control over their music. they know they are bootlegged, but they rarely, if ever make a big stink about it b/c there isn't a promoter or a label with "lawyers with fast cars and exotic pets" behind them.....

By agatha on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

i didn't write all that stuff. just so you know.

By Antigone on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 07:04 pm:

I have my whole CD collection (150+ CDs) ripped to
    MP3's. It's really convenient. I can listen to
    anything any time without changing out a CD. I
    backed up my whole collection to 10 CD ROMs. I
    can bring my whole CD collection to work with
    me... in my hip pocket... And the sound is great
    too. Surround sound speakers with a subwoofer $70
    at Fry's.

My CDs are in the closet, where it's cool and
    dark. I figure they'll last an extra 20 years
    that way.

I've never gotten music off Napster. I don't have
    to. And, I figure that music that's good enough
    to listen to is good enough to pay for.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact