to all you global warming hippies, you must be high.

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: to all you global warming hippies, you must be high.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:19 am:

it snowed here last night.

third year in a row.

global warming my ass. we're heading for an iceage.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:33 am:

send your snow to boston! we haven't had enough the past few years. i want snow days!!!

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:58 am:

apparently, you've sent your snow to us.

it's snowing here.

this is the san francisco bay area, for chrissakes.

it doesn't snow here.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

hah

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

By patrick on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

whats your elevation though?

and what happens in santa cruz is indicative of global climate patterns?

HA!

ocean temps are warming and icebergs are melting whatup with that?.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

well a little bird tells me its linked with SUVs and CO2 emissions...

By patrick on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

while SUVs are shameful and gross displays of wealth and status, they on their own are not responsible.

what is happening now, i suspect is due to many decades of abuse...OR as nate is often arguing, potentially a natural cycle of mother nature. while that may be true, you can't deny the impact fossil fuels and the leveling of forests have had on the earth.

By heather on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

it's warm and sunny in detroit

i think i should stay here

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:39 pm:

it snowed in the town i grew up in. 16 feet above sea level, 25 miles from the ocean. i am at about 500 feet, 10 miles from the ocean.

this has happened now 3 years running. before that, it has been something that happens once every 30 years.

we've had nearly a month of daily frost. we usually get one or two days of frost.

it snowed all over southern europe a month or two back.

by the "global warming" people, these are all indicators that we're heading for an iceage.

to anyone with a brain, it is an indicator that we don't have enough data.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:43 pm:

yeah, i know suv's arent responsible, they just piss me off.

yeah, i also see the natural cycle arguement.

however, humans are about protecting humans, right? so shouldn't all of us selfish bastards be worried about the destruction of our natural environment? seeing as its rather important to the longevity of the species...

i dunno, and being as fucked up as i am, i dont mind seeing humanity go to ruin. i dont think its really all that great. but i figure some people should mind, seeing as how they bitch about other stuff.

i guess i'm an environmentalist because i dislike humans and i like what we haven't destroyed. so maybe then i should ignore global warming. but i shouldn't ignore SUVs, drilling, pollution. and therefore i dislike global warming as a manifestation of all that.

By patrick on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:48 pm:

that pretty damn amazing nate.

i've seen speculation that we may have another el nino this year.

which kept the mtns snow-capped all winter long, where as they are usually capped only immediately after a rain.

SUVS are not very responsible vehicles at all ophelia, as Im sure you'll agree. people who drive them clearly have no regard for anyone else who shares the road with theml muchless any potential increased impact they have on the air.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

and no, nate, thats not all the data the "global warming people" can come up with.

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

the global warming theories are based on bunk data, Ophelia. if you really want to get into it, i'd be happy to dismantle your world.

further, humans are animals-- our effect on the world is natural.

By Cat on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

I really don't understand the hatred of SUVs.

Why why why?

I drive one for work sometimes and it's a bonus having loads of visibility and being able to take heaps of gear.

My personal car cost more than most SUVs so it's not just about status etc.

At least with a SUV you're getting a lotta car for your buck. My piddly little car is ridiculously over-priced considering it only seats two people comfortably and you try towing a trailer off it..bah.

By Cat on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

I really don't understand the hatred of SUVs.

Why why why?

I drive one for work sometimes and it's a bonus having loads of visibility and being able to take heaps of gear.

My personal car cost more than most SUVs so it's not just about status etc.

At least with a SUV you're getting a lotta car for your buck. My piddly little car is ridiculously over-priced considering it only seats two people comfortably and you try towing a trailer off it..bah.

By Cat on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 04:25 pm:

whoops a daisy

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:42 pm:

apparently SUVs and compact cars cost roughly the same to make, so it is the SUVs that are overpriced.

the main problem i have with SUVs are that they've reduced the safety ratings of almost all cars on the road.

though i no longer complain, because i've realized the truck i drive to work in every day is essentially an SUV without the luxury.

nate, you bastard.

By heather on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:49 pm:

i am a bitter and horrible person so i am trying to hold my tongue today

By patrick on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:51 pm:

while you're enjoying your added visibility and feeling superior to everyone else on the road, those who drive more practical, sensible cars are stuck behind you with no visibility because you've taken it all. They are relying on you to stop in time should something come up.

Have you ever been behind an SUV on the freeway? An example....SUV makes a sudden move to the left lane to pass the car in front of him...the car in front of SUV was going much slower than normal traffic...you are driving roughly the same speed as the SUV, but because your visability was reducing to a fucking chrome bumper all of sudden you are dangerously approaching a car at a high rate of speed and little time to act.

SUVs have higher a center of gravity because they are designed after jeeps. Jeeps are all terrain vehicles. Because of the high center of gravity, you are more likely to flip on normal driving conditions, such as a freeway exit ramp or changing lanes doing 65mph there by needlessly endangering cars around you.

SUVs drive like cars yet are still designed like off road vehicles, making people underestimate their potential. If SUV drivers were trained, and licensed like commercial truck drivers I might not have such an issue with it but they aren't

SUVs take nearly twice as much fuel to achieve the same distance as most sedans and compacts.

In a normal traffic accident between a SUV and a sedan, its more likely the passengers will suffer greater injury simply due to the SUV.

SUVs are so popular due to a primarily American notion that size = luxury. Also they do wonders to empower and inflate ego as well as provide a false sense of security.

As far as visability nate, trucks are a lot easier to deal with because you can almost always see right through the cab, unless the have a top on the back.

Trucks are far more utilitarian than SUVs and aren't necessarily designed like SUVs in terms of weight distribution.

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:00 pm:

i have a top on the back.

i agree with almost all your points, however the following an SUV arguement irks me-

first, you shouldn't follow so close to anyone.

but more importantly, having something with greater inertia in front of you is usually a benefit. i mean, if there is a sudden need to stop, you can stop much, much quicker. the mass of the SUV is a cushion for the lighter vehicle behind it.

By patrick on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

perhaps, but the limited visability matter can occur even when your following the normal "2-second" rule when trailing an SUV.

for the record, i'm an over cautious driver around anything bigger than me.

Im extremely distrustful of everyone else on the road anyway...and perhaps that has *knock on wood* contributed to the fact that i have never been in accident other bumping someone in a 15 mph bumper to bumper traffic scenario.

By Ophelia on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

Please nate, i want to see you try and dismantle my world. i'm curious to see if my world can stand up to it. i have tried to dismantle it myself several times and each time ended up unsuccessful. so go for it.

oh by the way, SUV's are hardly a nessecity, largely a status symbol, and i dislike them because they are, to me, a symbol of american wastefulness and disregard for others.

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:41 pm:

in good time, little girl.

for patty, not for proof but for interest:
    stud finder

By Nate on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:46 pm:

". . . and could indicate a reversal of a 10,000-year trend in glacier shrinkage which began after the last Ice Age."

ya, man. blame that on all the fucks who are driving those old 7996 (BCE) corsairs.

By dave. on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:16 am:

ja. gut.

bumsenfleisch.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:47 am:

You should have seen last weeks South Park.

I loved their skewering of the environmental movement.

By the way, have any of you concidered the possibility that the current temperate climate that we enjoy might be the remains of the last ice age. And, that the normal climate should be more tropical. Like it was when the dinosaurs lived.

By the way, I drive a 1991 Saturn. I wish I could afford a new one.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:56 am:

hmm.

im always a bit skeptical of anything from the UK's Independent. It seems, what I've read from that publication, they are a bit sensationalist.

regardless of that the possibility has merit.

without any hardcore scientific evidence eitherway on the matter, i tend to believe, in general terms, our affect (and abuse) on the planet HAS to have some sort of adverse effect.

By Platypus on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

The New Yorker says we're headed for another ice age. But I can't find the article. It was good, and anyway I agree, since it was
    a. snowing last night
    b. fucking 17 degress this morning
    and I live about 50 feet above sea level.
    I really don't like this. It doesn't usually get below 30 here, ever. There was ice all over everything. It looked like a winter wonderland.

and SUVs are horrible. I drove one, once, and it was an unpleasent experience. I just hate people who drive these gas guzzling road hogs to work every day without any consideration of other drivers. And you know, that good visibility is all great, but I can't tell you how many times one has merged on top of me because they haven't seen me. Most of them are heinously unsafe, too. They're just evil.

I think it's really funny that all the hippies here come to their "stop ocean drilling" protests in Ford Explorers. Do they not understand the obvious irony?

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:16 pm:

No they don't.

They seem to think that since they are trying to save the world they have more of a right to use it's resources than the rest of the world.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

Well, punks, I disagree.

It's 69 degrees here in DC now and will be 72 tomorrow.

Eat that.

Some Ice Age.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

its cold ass rainy here, in the 40s. i'll buy an ice age for $1 please.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

It's been a hot as ass summer here. The hottest in 100 years according to those that seem to love to say stuff like that.

Here, lookie at what the heat did to my candles...http://www.geocities.com/aussieanita/pix

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

The droopy candle age is cometh.

By pez on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

it's snowing. but i say it's snotting b/c it's notting.

i am making trash drums.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

what a creepy looking dog.

By heather on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:45 pm:

chicago did that to my candles
    though some were s shaped

they were very suggestive. my friends liked them and took them away

and most of the plants turned brown

By patrick on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:21 pm:

my cats eat dogs like that for breakfast.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 06:24 pm:

"further, humans are animals-- our effect on the world is natural."

one of the major differences between humans and other animals is the way that we are conscious of ourselves as a species and we modify the environment to our own needs. This can work for us or against us. Its easy to use natural resources to make life better in the short-term, but how do we know what will keep the entire ecosystem (that we exist as a part of) from being thrown off balance. Sorry for sounding so idiotically pretentious, but its true that we are only a part of this because we evolved for the good of the whole system. Our messing around probably doesn't help any.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:25 pm:

"one of the major differences between humans and other animals is the way that we are conscious of ourselves as a species and we modify the environment to our own needs."

first, those are two, not one: (1) that we are conscious of ourselves as a species and (2) that we modify the environment to our own needs.

(1) is rather, well you said it, pretentious. further, i'd argue it is wrong though i have no concrete proof (nor do you.) regardless, it has no bearing in the argument.

(2) is just moronic. unless you've never seen a beehive or an ant hill. termite mound. beaver dam. etc.

it is natural to use natural resources.

there is no way in hell the ecosystem is so precariously balanced. not in the big picture.

the idea that "we evolved for the good of the whole system" is an odd mix of science fiction and theology, don't you think?

By Spider on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

You blocked up my ears
    You plucked out my eyes
    You cut out my tongue
    You fed me with lies
    Oh Lord

By patrick on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 07:42 pm:

although nate, by your logic, nuclear destruction is natural.

we actually evolved to go to Monster Truck Madness on SUNDAYS SUNDAYS SUNDAYS!!!!! drink cheap beer and push the envelope in sexual gratification.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:13 pm:

i'm young, i'm wild, and a flea
    i've got the magic power of the mucous in me

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

yes, patrick. it is natural.

how is it not natural?

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:36 pm:

"what a creepy looking dog."

Grrrr. What a bloody mean thing to say. That's my baby. I hope some poodle uses your balls as a chew toy in the very near future.

Now if you were talking about how Antigone's cat looks like it swallowed a SUV, that would be different.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:39 pm:

that's no poodle. poodles are big.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:43 pm:

He's got oodles of poodle, ya noodle.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

I hate you all. You're never seeing any pitchers ever ever again. Taste-tarded mongrels.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:32 pm:

Now I'm mad. Saying horrible things about my defenceless widdle piddle boy. He had a rough start to life and was maltreated by his first family. Then he came to me and thought he had found a haven free of the prejudice that follows poodles around like a bloody flea.

He can't help it that he was born small. And it's not his fault he's not a real dog.

If only you could see through his rich-gal-toy poodle exterior to the beautiful proud animal that lives within. He has a dream...

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:34 pm:

And what's more, Patrick, you can just fuck off. Seriously fuck off. And take your fucking mangy cats with you.

You're just a lonely lonely bitter superior cat-fucker.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:36 pm:

YOU'RE STALKING MY POODLE. STOP STALKING MY POODLE.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 09:58 pm:

damn. you fucked patrick?

i know poodles are damn smart dogs.

it's just, they're also damn easy targets.

especially toy poodles.

especially in croc country.

By Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:15 pm:

Don't talk to me you facist bully-boy poodle hater.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:47 pm:

i still can't believe you fucked patrick.

By Cat on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 12:09 am:

Don't try and change the subject, you and your coalition of poodleless fucktards.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 10:24 am:

apparently he was a great lay, too.. "superior cat-fucker" you called him.

crazy.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 12:07 pm:

it happens nate.

they hate me and yet want to freak my jock like mad at the same time.

poodles are such easy targets. so are miniature dobermans. my friend has one and i swear to god when it opens that yappy little mouth and nibbles my toes i want to punt that fucker through the upright, but then it chills and sits inside my jacket and we make peace.

well nate, it appears by your logic, anything man creates is natural but im not sure i buy that. In that regard a nuclear warhead is not natural.

id like a few bong loads to jump into that fray with you.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

besides, according to agatha, sex is a fetish of mine so i damn well better be good.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

By Cat on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 03:48 pm:

There was a small "c" on "cat-fucker". I would definitely capitalise anyone who was fucking me.

I'd have to make Patrick shut up about cochlear implants before he'd be doing any implanting of me. Not to say he's not worth gagging. I've always thought Patrick to be the prettiest of the sorabji boys, apart from the original sorabji boy.

By Dougie on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:37 pm:

Holy carp. Happy Birthday Mark. It's my girlfriend's birthday too today. If she ever gets home from work, I'm taking her for sushi and mass quantities of Sapporo.

And I'm assuming that Cat finds me to be one of the most handsome of sorabji men, needless to say.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:42 pm:

I used to know someone else with this birthday, but now I don't remember who.

And, bitches, it was 77 degrees here and 84 degrees in Fredericksburg.

I blame you.

By LoneStranger on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:44 pm:

My birthday is tomorrow.

LS

By J on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:39 am:

Happy B-Day Mark

By THe Gorrillas young friend Daniel ssss on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:39 am:

I was The Birthday Boy on the 26th. I ate a brownie for each of you, but got arrested before I could get to the girls scouts' cookies.

Icing to all us! Carpe Natalie (or whatever her name was)

By Antigone on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:57 am:

I'm not getting into another stoopid global warming argument.

Besides, I just drove an SUV from Dallas to San Jose...

Highway 1 is c00l!

By droopy on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:09 am:

there sure are a lot of fucked up people born in january.

By agatha on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 02:42 am:

actually, i am the best looking guy on sorabji.

it's true.

By Hal on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 06:41 am:

I get no love.

And no one has seen Pez in a while.

By J on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Amee's was the 29th and she really is fucked up,bi-polar and borderline personality disorder,but I think she's an exception.

By Ophelia on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:26 pm:

happy birthday, mark. and happy birthday tomorrow, LS.

i still hate SUV's but i'm willing to quit the arguing, cause whats the point- no one's opinions are changing.

and nate: sure, too tired to argue, but i'm not giving in, in case you were wondering. maybe nothing's worth worrying about, but i need some cause to keep me sane.

By The Watcher on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 03:48 pm:

If you're sane why are you in this asylum?

By J on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

Cause someone has to change our diapers:)

By Ophelia on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 03:31 pm:

you caught me. that was a lie. the truth is more like i pretend that i can be sane if i can convince myself that my convictions are strong enough to constitute reality.

but clearly they arent because i still identify them as such.

maybe...

or maybe i just dont know anything about sanity or insanity and i just made that up so i'd have something to say.

By pez on Saturday, February 2, 2002 - 01:30 am:

i am here dammit.

and halster, if you want to hear from me, email me or call me or somethin', you weren"t exactly receptive the last time i tried.

pffft. i will ignore you.

By Hal on Saturday, February 2, 2002 - 06:55 am:

/me kix pez in ass.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, February 4, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

let's hear it for global warming!!!! we are having a nice mild winter, in fact i think i'll go release some cfc's and throw my coat away.

By Jj on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 02:08 am:

We miss you sweetcheacks .

By pez on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

(1) hal, you know my email address. if you want me to talk to you, send me an email and don't you dare whine about it because there is no way you'll ever get away with it.

(2) good to see you again, fb.

(3) sorry, no message for j.

(4) if anyone wants to know what's going on in my life and is too fucking lazy to contact me, you can check my website by clicking here. that is unless i am a lazy bitch who never updates.

By semillama on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:44 pm:

How global warming brings about ice ages:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=484490

It's wise to recall this happened previously without humans adding to the situation. It's also wise to recall that regardless of whether humans are to blame or not for global warming, the effects are not going to be very nice for civilization, and that should be enough to take action. Of course, Bush apparently is more concerned about preventing gay people from getting married, then hopped up on steriods, and running around beating up straight couples and the winners of shows such as My Big Fat Fiance and Who wants to marry my Dad? then anything as piddling as trying to stave off the collapse of the Gulf Stream.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact