Slavery Lawsuits Hit US Firms

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Slavery Lawsuits Hit US Firms
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three large US companies are named in a lawsuit filed on behalf of black Americans descended from slaves, the first-ever class action seeking reparations from firms for profiting from slavery.

Aetna Inc., CSX Corp., and FleetBoston Financial Corp. were named in the lawsuit filed in Brooklyn federal court by 36-year-old black activist Deadria Farmer-Paellmann in the latest step by some blacks to get compensation for what their ancestors suffered as slaves.

"The practice of slavery constituted an 'immoral and inhumane deprivation of Africans' life, liberty, African citizenship rights, cultural heritage' and it further deprived them of the fruits of their own labor," the 21-page suit said.

Both Aetna and CSX said slavery was a regrettable chapter in U.S. history but the events in question occurred so long ago that a courtroom was not the proper venue to decide on reparations.
    The complaint did not contain a monetary damage figure, but did estimate the current value of slaves' unpaid labor as $1.4 trillion. The gross domestic product of the United States at the end of 2001 was $10.25 trillion.
    You are here : XtraMSN > News > World News Wed 10 April 2002

Today In World News

Activist Deadria Farmer-Paellmann - Reuters
    Slavery Lawsuits Hit US Firms
    27/03/2002 04:33 PM
    Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three large US companies are named in a lawsuit filed on behalf of black Americans descended from slaves, the first-ever class action seeking reparations from firms for profiting from slavery.

Aetna Inc., CSX Corp., and FleetBoston Financial Corp. were named in the lawsuit filed in Brooklyn federal court by 36-year-old black activist Deadria Farmer-Paellmann in the latest step by some blacks to get compensation for what their ancestors suffered as slaves.

"The practice of slavery constituted an 'immoral and inhumane deprivation of Africans' life, liberty, African citizenship rights, cultural heritage' and it further deprived them of the fruits of their own labor," the 21-page suit said.

Both Aetna and CSX said slavery was a regrettable chapter in U.S. history but the events in question occurred so long ago that a courtroom was not the proper venue to decide on reparations.

Plaintiff attorneys said 12 other companies would be getting letters in the coming days requesting a dialogue on a settlement. The other companies were not named.

The suit said yet-to-be-named corporate defendants from the industrial, manufacturing, financial and other sectors would be named in subsequent actions once they were identified.

The complaint did not contain a monetary damage figure, but did estimate the current value of slaves' unpaid labor as $1.4 trillion. The gross domestic product of the United States at the end of 2001 was $10.25 trillion.

BANK CONNECTION TO SLAVERY

"This is a case about wealth built on the back and from the sweat of African slaves," said plaintiff attorney Roger Wareham at a news conference. "We expect those companies that are targeted to stand up."

Advocates of reparations for slavery argue that the descendants of slaves are still being hurt economically and sociologically by their ancestors' bondage. Those who argue against compensation say, among other things, that it happened so long ago that reparations would be punishing people who had nothing to do with the practice of slavery.

According to the lawsuit, FleetBoston is the successor to Providence Bank, which was founded by Rhode Island businessman John Brown. Brown owned ships that embarked on several slaving voyages and the suit says FleetBoston lent substantial sums to Brown, thus financing and profiting from Brown's slave trade.

FleetBoston also collected customs fees due from ships transporting slaves, thus further profiting, the suit said.
    "The claimants named CSX because slave labor was used to construct portions of some U.S. rail lines under the political and legal system in place more than a century before CSX was formed in 1980," the company said. "The courtrooms are the wrong setting for this issue."

By patrick on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 04:58 pm:

whats your point?

this is 2 week old news man.

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:02 pm:

I think spunky is pissed at the black man 'cause the black man's pissed at the white man.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:19 pm:

i think that was over a hundred years ago, and the two companies mentioned above did not even exist yet. suing crx because they use the rail lines build by slaves. what about asian imigrants? they really helped build the rail road, better sue amtrack because they profit today from it.

Look, clinton already apologized for slavery, let it go. seriously.
    i realize i am just a white man, and so you think if i were black i would be all for the law suit.
    i dunno, i did not grow up in this country as a black.
    i grew up as a nerd. in kansas, where i grew up, the black kids were treated with respect. the guy like me, curly haired, glasses, we caught the shit.
    we were segregated. we had to sit in certain seats on the bus, not allowed to play on certain swingsets, whatever. i grew up in the rural midwest and never witnessed racism. seriously. i have never witnessed first hand any type of racism. maybe aligations on tv, in the paper or what ever, but I have never actually seen it.
    you know where most of it happenes today? in your own mind.
    you did not get a job you interviewed for.
    what would you be thinking? i suck, so no one will hire me? probably not. everyone thinks they are the best at what they do, so instead you think "they did not hire me because I am a girl/black/lesbian/gay/aids victim/handicapped/got a third eye and a humped back/purple poke-a-dotted, or had a star on thars...

most prejudism happens in your own head, and you see it that way.

By Cat on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

I'm weeping for you Spunky. Bush should apologise to the nerds.

By patrick on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

trace, you really really really should think about this more.

just because you don't see racism,doesnt mean it doesnt exist. that's an awfully ignorant position to take that i wouldn't say too loudly.

By Cat on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:42 pm:

Patrick, I thought the use of "ignorant" was banned from this board after your hissy fit?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

if i said that, remind me, but i don't think the word it self is bad when referring to ones position on something.

without going there again, the difference, in my mind anyway, i took the word to be of me, on the whole, not just my opinion on that subject.

By eri on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 05:59 pm:

Just one question. If slavery currently exists in Africa and other 3rd world countries, wouldn't the money be better spent in getting rid of the slavery in the other countries?

Wouldn't aiding those oppressed by the bondage of slavery and removing them from this be a better statement than handing out money?

I mean, if the point of all of this is to honor those who were slaves and their memories of their suffering, wouldn't the best thing we can do be banning together and ensuring that others don't have to go through what they did? Wouldn't that be the best way to honor their memories?

Just a thought that I had.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 06:08 pm:

should we sue the blacks who sold the slaves to the british, or the british who sold the slaves to us?

companies must use every legal resource to compete. this is capitalism.

you cannot be guilty of laws made after the fact. this is the US constituion.

are white males owed for lost wages for jobs they didn't get due to racist affirmative action policies? not as extreme as slavery, but the principle is similar.

the question at hand is can a company be held liable for damages when it operated within the law and without negligence?

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 06:34 pm:

Nate, you are a cruel and evil murderer.

Well, not really, but I did witness you squishing a bug once.

It's not as extreme, but the principle is similar.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

There is no law against squishing bugs. Unless, of course, the bug is owned by someone else. In that case, you are destroying their property.

LS

By heather on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

stop squishing my bugs

i'm calling the authorities

cruel and evil murderers

By patrick on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:25 pm:

evildoers heather EVILDOERS

By Cat on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:39 pm:

German companies were successfully sued for the use of jewish slave labour.

It was legal at the time for the companies to work people to death.

Sometimes you have to right wrongs.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:45 pm:

And sometimes you need to drop things that are over 100 years old.

The same people aren't even living anymore.

LS

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:02 pm:

Holocaust reparations: 50 years old

Slavery reparations: 100 years old

Getting Justice: timeless...

For everything else, there's BastardCard!

By eri on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 08:49 pm:

Seriously, there were so many moral wrongs done back then. The people the wrongs were done to are no longer living. The people who did the wrongs are no longer living.

Is it truly fair to make Johnny pay for what his great-great-great grandfather did to some slaves (which although wrong was legal at the time) now, when Johnny had nothing to do with it, and doesn't believe in what great-great-great grandpappy did, either? When Johnny is ashamed of what this mad in his ancient family history did, should he pay his hard earned money to pay it back?

If we are talking about paying them for the work they did, but didn't get paid for, and how that is wrong, what about housewives? We do a lot more work than anyone imagines, many things, most things we do are taken for granted and just expected. Is not our current work worth pay, just as theirs was?

Yes, there was extreme wrong done to the slaves, but we are not the only ones responsible, in fact, none of use were born and are in no way responsible for what happened. Searching for someone to sue and someone to pay money to someone isn't going to ease the souls of those who were tormented. Taking as stand and doing everything we can to ensure that this doesn't have to happen to others is the best statement we can make that says, historians did wrong and this is how we, the later generations of men, will show it is wrong, by ensuring that it doesn't continue, that it is known of as wrong and therefore not tolerated.

There is so much involved in this that making someone pay money is just the easy way out, and not necessarily the right form of payment.

By dave. on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

my family came over as peasants from norway and sweden just before 1900. imagine how bad it must have been in scandinavia that south dakota looked like the promised land (as one of my norwegian relatives put it). . . i don't owe squat to any particular ethnic group.

if the africans had gotten the ships and weapons working for them before the europeans did, we'd have seen the cotton fields full of european slaves.

the yinned-out, guilt-ridden, sympathetic whiteys like to imagine "primitive" groups from africa and the americas as peaceful folk minding their own business, living in harmony. in fact, they were quite vicious -- they just didn't have the cool weapons and ships to really spread their mayhem around.

all we owe the descendents of the slaves is enough respect and dignity to let them earn whether or not they are worthy of more respect and dignity. it's all anyone owes anyone, regardless of their ancestral baggage.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 09:34 pm:

<snif>

That's the greatest thing you've ever said,
    dave.

That no booze or cigarettes thing must really
    be getting to you.

What about the descendants of indentured
    servants?

What about the Native Americans? Wouldn't it
    be kind of great if all the central and south
    americans got back all their gold and silver?

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 09:52 pm:

man, the brits are really gonna get it.
    and the spanish, with the inquisition.
    and the norwegians, with the vikings.
    france, with napoleon.
    mongolia, with Gengis khan.
    don't forget the egyptians, with the jews.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 10:44 pm:

"trace, you really really really should think about this more.

just because you don't see racism,doesnt mean it doesnt exist. that's an awfully ignorant position to take that i wouldn't say too loudly."

did i say i did not believe racism exist, or did I say I did not see it?
    I did not see it.
    Funny, since I am from such a red neck, back water area, huh?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 11:20 pm:

egyptians... the blacks owe the jews some cash!

wait a second... jews were black back then too... the blacks owe themselves some cash!

antigone, as usual, you lack argument.

By dave. on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:09 am:

"That's the greatest thing you've ever said,
    dave." -- scary thought.

coffee kicked in. pardon me while i go emancipate some ultra-dense poo nuggets.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:27 am:

Nate, "we" we all once just a bucket of amino acids. We owe everybody everything, including respect.

Dave, you owe your intestines more fiber.

By Fb on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:37 am:

you all owe GOD for Adam & Eve's original sin. how's that for a fucked concept.

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:41 am:

No shit. Who do I sue for the PMS cramps and labor pains, since they are a direct result of the sins of Adam and Eve?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:23 pm:

"Funny, since I am from such a red neck, back water area, huh?"

Trace I didnt say anything about being from anywhere. I only addressed what you said. Where you are from is irrelavent to me. its what you said that stands out.

Trace , Eri, pay attention to nate's 6:08 post yesterday. I think those points are the crux of the matter tobe discussed.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

"the question at hand is can a company be held liable for damages when it operated within the law and without negligence?"
    The answer, of course, would be absolutely not.
    Again, Patrick I did not say I did not think racism exists, I simply said _I_ never personally witnessed it. I have never personally witnessed the birth of a baby either, but that does not mean that I do not beleive you were hatched from an egg in the cabbage patch.
    Big difference. And, yes, you have said I was from hillbilly, redneck fuckwitt to be exact, country.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

trace when you conclude this:
    "you know where most of it happenes today? in your own mind."

based upon this:"i have never witnessed first hand any type of racism. maybe aligations on tv, in the paper or what ever, but I have never actually seen it."

it implies you deny it exists.

Trace im from hillbilly country too. I only judge you on what you say.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:26 pm:

It exists, and if I implied any different I appoligize.
    But, that does not change the fact that a lot of "perceived" discrimination can be attributed to one's attitude and pre-expectations.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:50 pm:

Right. So slavery was all in the minds of the slaves?

Uh huh...

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:59 pm:

did you read what I wrote?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 05:07 pm:

antigone's arguments lately are quite lacking, spunky. he'll take a piece of your argument, completely out of context, and make a statement that, while potentially true when standing alone in a sea of idiots, makes little sense given what he is responding to.

facile and markedly lacking in fecundity. boring, clownish argumentation.

i recommend ignoring him.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 05:18 pm:

i got heartburn from my leftover pasta.

what up with that?

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:33 pm:

Spunky and Nate are fucking each other.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:44 pm:

Nate wants to be my bitch.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:46 pm:

Patrick is my bitch and Cat is jealous.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:48 pm:

"Spunky and Nate are fucking each other."

When did this start? Shit man, I'm so out of the loop.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:49 pm:

you're such a weenie, antigone.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:14 pm:

The girl with gorgeous eyes and labrettes in
    both lips gave me a really big smile after she
    checked me out at Trader Joe's today. We had
    a brief conversation about the soy dream
    Cookie Avalanche I was buying and I made
    her laugh. I should probably find an excuse to
    go back real soon.

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:04 pm:

You're out of the loop, Dougie? I didn't have a clue?!?!?! And here I thought Spunky was only fucking me! Antigone has some wacked delusions!! Or maybe he just dreams of watching the two together ;p

By heather on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:20 pm:

i want soy dream

boys. they say it's competition when they climb all over each other, but we know better.

By dave. on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:51 pm:

that reminds me of andy richter last night. i laugh.

By Cat on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:54 am:

"Patrick is my bitch and Cat is jealous."

Patrick is your ass palmee and Cat is barfous.

By Antigone on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

That last post wasn't me. It came from patrick's IP.

By Antigone on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:09 pm:

Spunky and Nate are fucking patrick.

By patrick on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:16 pm:

Antigone is manning the cam corder

By Antigone on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

Damn straight, skippy.

By spunky on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

I think I shall now be sick

By Spider on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

AAUUGHHH. Sem, do not get excited over a laugh. Be cool.

By spunky on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:33 pm:

By J on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

Double trouble?

By semillama on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

Wait. Aren't Republicans AGAINST huge
    bureaucracies?

Did I miss a memo or something?

Why shouldn't I get excited about that, spider?
    Should I save myself for you? (wink)

By spunky on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:53 pm:

I am thrilled

By LoneStranger on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:12 pm:

sem... methinks it is time for more cookie avalanche. Maybe the girl would like to share it with you.

LS

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact