Taxes, Taxes, Taxes

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Taxes, Taxes, Taxes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Twinkie on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 09:23 am:

The recent National Nutrition Summit in Washington, D.C., was heavily hyped by top government officials as a vehicle for tapping the collective expertise of the country's leading nutritionists. Their mission? The so-called obesity epidemic. Instead, the Summit served as a springboard for the nation's nannies to renew their call to tax snacks, sodas and high-calorie food. And if media coverage is any gauge, their taxing new demand has taken off.

Twinkie-tax proponent Kelly Brownell has long argued that we should "subsidize the cost of healthy foods, so they cost less [and] increase the cost of bad foods so they cost more." In 1998, US News & World Report labeled his tax one of "16 Silver Bullets - Smart Ideas to Fix the World." But in order to actually pass such an tax, Brownell has recently toned down his rhetoric.

By Twinkie on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 09:24 am:

Brownell - Then:
    According to US News, when Brownell first tried to generate media coverage for a steep tax on high-calorie foods, he said:

"Hit junk-food junkies where it hurts: in their wallets" by "slapping high-fat, low-nutrition food with a substantial government 'sin' tax."
    "The idea," said US News, "would be to make high butterfat chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream more expensive relative to low-fat yogurt in the hopes that more Americans would reach for the yogurt."
    Brownell - Now:
    Since teaming up with Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the new fat-tax rhetoric has been toned down for easier public digestion:

"A small tax may be more politically feasible and would mostly go unnoticed by the public."
    "[L]et's charge a penny or two tax on soft drinks or other junk foods… to fund public health campaigns."

By Nate on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:37 am:

we tax cigarettes, we might as well tax bad food.

this is the joy of big government.

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:47 am:

it doesnt sound like a healthy public is the concern here.

By Ophelia on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:57 am:

they could just tax proporitonal to calories per serving.

oh my.

By heather on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

of course high calorie french food is exempt

yes. there should also be a tax for people who don't have jobs

also for watching television

oh, and the tax for failing to exercise properly

please eat gallons on high sugar low fat frozen yogurt, it's real good for you

By heather on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

[of]

By Kate Moss on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

The final solution is to tax fat people until they fall in line and look like the rest of us.

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

ive seen you nude Moss. I think it a splendid idea.

By drpy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

my mom just got back from a cruise along the alaskan coast. i saw her last night and she showed me pictures. one set of her shipmates were new zealanders. one day they were sitting together at a table and my mother said something about how "big" (as in overweight) americans tend to be. in the spirit of acknowledging our faults. one of the women said "yes," and the leaned over a little and said, brightly, "it's gross."

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

i dont get it.

By spunky on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

they are talking about increasing cig tax BY $1.00 per pack. that would make the total texas state sales tax on cigs $1.41

By eri on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:00 pm:

This would suck for me, because my kids are so skinny that I have to constantly add calories and feed them high calorie foods, high fats, and everything that "obese" people are supposed to avoid. With all of this my almost 3 year old only weighs 23 lbs, and most 10 month old babies outweigh her. Lets add even more taxes, so I can't afford to give my kids the extra calories they need.

By droopy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:07 pm:

get what i wrote, patrick? no loss.

By heather on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:17 pm:

i don't get what you wrote about kate moss, unless you're explaining your idea of full figured

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:17 pm:

is there a joke there somewhere?

By Steven Tyler on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:17 pm:

Eat The Rich

By droopy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

you mean lemmy kilminster. or is it kilmister?

whatever, it's a mötorhead song.

and i'm already on record as being for that. feeding the rich to the poor.

By Steven Tyler on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

mötorhead sucks ass

By droopy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 03:11 pm:

but at least they're not aerosmith.

By Christopher on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

When I visited Sydney Australia, I noticed that there were VERY, VERY few overweight people. Everyone was good looking, and in terrific shape. They're really into their fruits and veggies, which I noticed whenever I ate out, with the exception of the amazing czech barbecue joint near Darling Harbor. They put beets on their hamburgers, and called ketchup tomahto sauce. I went out to a club called "ark", and the men were like sculptures. I saw that they were all drinking water, and no alcohol, and thought "wow, they're so healthy!", then realized that every last one of them was high on Xtasy.

The point of my tale:
    Good health comes from
    Fruits & veggies
    beets on your hamburgers
    lots of water
    Xtasy
    A proximity to kangaroos

By the way, Australians get really angry if you make sex jokes about kangaroos. I mean it.

By Nate on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

they think kangaroos might provide an answer to global warming.

apparently kangaroos produce no methane on the same diet that sheep and cows produce massive methane.

sheep and cows produce 33% of australia's "greenhouse" gasses.

they think they can figure out the bacteria in the kanagroo stomach that is so efficient and populate cow stomachs with it.

sounds good to me.

probably wouldn't work here, though.

By spunky on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

Droopy, 'smith kick's ass.
    I don't care who did the song originally.
    How many damn bands today actually play what they wrote, 100% of the time, as opposed to re-vamping previoulsy released songs?

By spunky on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

Ever been driving in the country and pass by a pig farm? ohmygawd.

I will never forget the time I was driving from KC to my grandfolk's house out in Ft Scott, KS for thanksgiving.
    I passed by this pig farm that just smelled awful.
    Then I noticed every house past his had a sign out front, posted in the yard. some of them said "Welcome to Pig Country", or "No Pig Farms" and, the best yet, a few had a sign that said "Die Pig Farmer!" There was one that said that, but you had to see it. It was made out of wood that looked like it was never treated and was rained on for years, then, someone took a wide paint brush, the ones with bristles, and painted in dark red, "Move or Die, Piggy".....

By Spider on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

There's nothing wrong with covering songs you like.

By drpy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:50 pm:

now that i think about it, i think the umlauts go on the second o.

i once saw an english short film called "eat the rich". as far as i can remember, some guys started killing off ministers in the house of lords and feeding them to unsuspecting people at a restaurant they opened up. using the motorhead version of the song as the theme.

i just think that if lemmy kilminster says he's going to eat the rich, i'm inclined to believe him.

i think that bull moose jackson had a big ten inch, but steven tyler didn't.

but i do like their version of tiny bradshaw's "train kept a-rollin'."

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

i've done two covers in my limited "professional" music "career" (i.e. in front of an audience).

Iggy's 'I wanna be your dog'. Someone in the band had a 5 foot strap of sleigh bells that worked perfect and the other was the Make-Up's "Do You Like Gospel Music".

Both we're fun and totally done out of respect.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 06:40 pm:

I covered the "Star Spangled Banner" on soprano trombone last Sunday.

By J on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 02:33 am:

I'm a cover freak,but I already know I lost respect for that...shoot me.

By moonit on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 08:20 am:

I've seen that movie Droop, but fucked if I can remember who was in it.

By The Watchers evil twin on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:56 am:

How about a child tax?

Instead of giving the breaders of this world a tax credit for each of their offspring and having exhorbitant taxes on cigaretts and liquor let's reverse the process.

Free cigaretts and booze to all and tax the breaders a thousand bucks a head to educate their little rug rats.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact