Homo Troglodytes?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Homo Troglodytes?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

<<Goodman added, "In terms of culture, social behavior, language and other factors, we share many things in common with chimpanzees.">>

That's one loose definition of language he's using.

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:41 pm:

Is it that their language is similar to ours...or that the way they use language is similar to how we use our language? Like how they process and use bits of information or how they communicate? or something else I don't understand?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

How *do* they use language? They don't speak with vocabulary, and I don't think they sign to each other in the wild. So...

The more I think about this, the higher my left eyebrow gets.

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:56 pm:

I don't know enough about it, but I think it's possible that they might process information and communicate whatever kind of language-symbol system they have in a way that puts them closer humans than gorillas and orangutans.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:00 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

" I don't think they sign to each other in the wild. So..."

Fifty years ago we didn't type on computer keyboards "in the wild." Didn't mean we couldn't do it.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:39 pm:

I know you like to tweak our minds and all, but that's outrageous. Aliens didn't teach us how to build keyboards; we invented them on our own. Chimps do not sign unless humans teach them to. You can't use that as a valid analogy.

The fact that chimps have the capacity for language reminds me of the fact that some Hindu yogis have mastered the ability to control their own heartbeats and can basically put themselves in suspended animation for long periods of time -- yeah, we *can* do that, but in ordinary circumstances, we don't. Chimps *can* develop a rudimentary language and symbolic understanding, but in their ordinary chimp lives, they don't.

But what the hell do I know? Animal Planet is my chief source of primate knowledge. :)

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

"Aliens didn't teach us how to build keyboards; we invented them on our own."

Did you invent the keyboard? No, yet you use one just fine. You did not use the keyboard until someone taught you to.

Chimps have the capacity to use language. Do they have the capacity to invent it? Possibly, but those two capacities can be completely seperate.

"Chimps *can* develop a rudimentary language and symbolic understanding, but in their ordinary chimp lives, they don't."

You say my analogy is invalid at the beginning of your post, then you justify it at the end? Yer givin' me argument whiplash!

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

Maybe I wasn't clear. Humans, as a whole species, came up with the idea of the keyboard, demonstrating that the intelligence and technology of the species had reached a point where such an invention was capable/likely. We didn't invent the keyboard in the Middle Ages -- the keyboard was created at a time when we as a culture (as a whole, to which every human contributes) had reached an appropriate stage of development. The fact that I, who did not invent the keyboard, am able to accept and use the technology is proof that I as an individual am being carried along with the advancement of the culture.

Take space travel. Maybe humans have the neurological capacity to invent a vehicle that will allow us to travel to another galaxy within the timeframe of one earth year. We certainly can't do that now. If an alien showed up and gave us the specs for the vehicle, we couldn't claim the technological advancement for our species, because the thoughts behind the specs are way more advanced than what we are capable of at the time. If it doesn't come to us naturally (spontaneously, within the framework of our daily lives), we can't claim it for ourselves.

You can train dogs to dial 911 for their owners. Does this mean that dogs have reached the stage in their evolution where they can communicate via telephone? No. The telephone is alien to them, and I'm arguing that language as humans use it is alien to chimpanzees.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:45 pm:

And I'm arguing that the capacity to invent a technology and the capacity to use a technology are different.

However, on the "alien" point: Chimps can clearly use sign language to communicate complex ideas. Humans who have no ability to use their vocal chords also use sign language in the same way. How can you say that chimps do not use language in the same way humans do?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

"If an alien showed up and gave us the specs for the vehicle, we couldn't claim the technological advancement for our species..."

Europeans introduced many technologies to aboriginal peoples around the world. Are those technologies also "alien" to those aboriginal people in the same way? Would you say a Native American can't really drive a truck because his ancestors didn't invent it?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

"If it doesn't come to us naturally (spontaneously, within the framework of our daily lives), we can't claim it for ourselves."

I don't see how that's relevant. If I cede that point, what difference does it make?

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

But dogs don't have the analogous brain structure's that apes seem to have.

"I'm arguing that language as humans use it is alien to chimpanzees"

Based on what? Animal Planet? I think the point is about classification, where chimps belong based on nuerological and genetic structure. It seems to my untrained mind that researchers are finding that observable behavioral similarities are grounded in particular structures that make them more human than ape.

Language as anyone uses it is alien to everyone at some point.

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

"that make them more human than ape"

what I meant was, it makes them homos and not pans, like what the first article said

fucking gay monkeys

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

I've strayed from the point of the original article. If scientists want to classify chimpanzees as homo based on the percentage of DNA they share with us or their large Broca's Areas in their brains, great. I don't have a dog in that fight.

I'm saying if you want to say that chimps share a lot in common with us, "including language," I want to see a more compelling argument for that particular similarity than what I have seen.

I was being facetious with that Animal Planet reference -- I did take two Physical Anthropology classes 6-7 years ago (intro level), and I don't remember anything that said that chimpanzees had anything that could be seen as more than the barest, most rudimentary form of language or symbolic understanding. Not enough to say casually that humans and chimps have language in common. Social/family structures, anatomy, DNA -- yes.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

"I want to see a more compelling argument for that particular similarity than what I have seen."

And what evidence would convince you? A chimp saying it loves it's pet kitten in sign language?

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

Spider,

I figured you were kidding. It's still more than I know about any of this. But back to the point of language? In the most basic sense, what do we use language for? Reproducing society? Culture? Does monkey language enable apes to reproduce their (what would it be) environment? society? in a way that is analogous to humans? Does monkey language shape monkey consiousness? What then would constitute monkey consiousness?

By semillama on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/language/chimpanzee.html

Can Apes testify?

if language is the only thing separating us then, should mutes be considered less than human?
    :)

Where did language come from, then? If it's biologially tied into our heads, which it is, and our closest cousin has the same structures, which they do, then maybe the difference is not as great as previously thought. There's a school of thought that says that modern human language developed after we achieved our present physical forms, which accounts for the cultural explosion that occurred about 40,000 years ago and has been going like gangbusters since.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

I don't know -- you tell me. I'm saying monkey language doesn't exist. If you want to convince me otherwise, show me examples of monkey language. Any examples. I just want to see something.

I define language as the vehicle of the communication of discrete thoughts and ideas, with grammar and vocabulary, understood by any reasonable member of the given society. This is close to the Merriam-Webster's definition.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:19 pm:

(Oops, didn't see your post, Sem.)

But, I would consider mutes to have language if they can use sign language or write.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

"...understood by any reasonable member of the given society..."

Given that definition you could discount all of the nonhuman test subjects who have been taught sign language because they are "atypical" (unreasonable) members of their "societies." (species)

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

"But, I would consider mutes to have language if they can use sign language..."

And an ape that uses sign language is what, exactly?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

If an ape regularly taught another ape sign language as a part of their natural social development, you would be onto something. But human beings who raise apes in zoos and labs and teach apes sign language are not part of the apes' natural social group, so no, I will not concede that they have natural language.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

By kazoo on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

Spider is asking about a discete monkey language. Correct me if I am wrong, Spidey, but it seems that she isn't denying monkey's capability of learning sign language. But that is a language developed by humans. The question is, do monkeys have a language that they have developed that functions for them the same way our language does for us.

A language that we could translate. Probably not. There goes grammar and vocabulary? But communicating thoughts and ideas? Not complex ones, but can monkeys teach each other how to use tools? But then, what would separate that from little monkeys simply mimicing the actions of older monkeys?

I hate it when I can only think in questions.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

"If an ape regularly taught another ape sign language as a part of their natural social development, you would be onto something."

Like I said before, the capacity to perform a behavior and the ability to spread that behavior are not the same thing. Besides, you're straying from your own definition of language as "as the vehicle of the communication of discrete thoughts and ideas." You've expanded it to the ability to use that vehicle to alter the behavior of others, specifically to communicate the usage of the vehicle itself. This is a far more complex behavior. It's also a behavior that's beyond the ability of most humans. Could you teach someone else how to speak if they didn't know how?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

"Could you teach someone else how to speak if they didn't know how?"

Urg. Typed too quickly. Of course you could. Kids learn from their parents all the time. :P

Maybe a better example would be the space ship analogy. If we were given that space ship by aliens, and we were just smart enough to use it, but couldn't tell other humans how to make one themselves, would that mean we didn't have the capacity of flying space ships? No, it would only mean that we didn't have the capacity to tell others how to make one. There's a difference.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

Kazoo understands -- I don't care about what humans can teach apes. I care about what apes teach apes, in their own little ape worlds.

Now, the fact that chimps can put sign language together in novel ways and make sense to us is very promising. Something's going on in their brains, no doubt...they're intelligently and self-consciously aware of themselves, their environments, etc. I don't deny that. But I don't care. Unless Jane Goodall stumbles upon a band of chimps in the wild who sign (or something similar) to each other without ever having seen humans, I don't care.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

"I care about what apes teach apes, in their own little ape worlds."

I understand as well, but that goes beyond your own definition for language ability. A chimp could easily have language ability, but not to the level he could use it to teach another chimp to use language.

"Unless Jane Goodall stumbles upon a band of chimps in the wild who sign (or something similar) to each other without ever having seen humans, I don't care."

Why not? That's a pretty narrow view. Even if chimps are not able to, on their own, develop language, it doesn't mean that studying their human taught language capacity is not instructive.

Consider the human situation: possibly there is some trigger, societal or physical, that put us into a critical area for language development. Possibly the chimps are below that critical area and all we have to do is find the trigger(s). Teaching chimps to use language would be a way of exploring their abilities and see what happens when their ability is artifically increased.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

well, they have stumbled across bands of chimps who have separate technologies, which are learned and passed down through the family unit. For exampel, some chimp bands have discovered the principle of the hammer and anvil, while other bands in similar environments have not.

Is language natural, or artificial (cultural)?
    Is something that is cultural, unnatural?

I think that the original point of the article has been lost, here. No one is saying that chimps are humans. They aren't, obviously. So of course, they aren't going to have ahuman language. However, what is being argued is that they belong in the genus Homo, and truly are our first cousins, somewhere around the level of Homo habilis, I would think. I mean, it's highly unlikely that Homo habilis, and even Homo erectus, had what we would consider a human language. However, both species were capable of complex behavior and in the instance of Homo erectus, were capable of making fairly complex tools, build huts and may even have been able to make fire. None of this requires complex language. Heck, paleoanthroplogists are divided over whether Neanderthals could speak!

Yet they are still all Homos.

(hee hee hee hee)

By spunky on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

is this debate regarding apes being classified as members of the homo species or a debate on the intelligence level of apes?

I would think DNA and GENOME sequencing would classify the genus species.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

Genus and species are two seperate things.
    Homo=genus, sapiens=species.

of course, after thinking a bit more about this, i realized nobody addressed bipedalism as a possible defining trait of Homo, so there you go.

By wisper on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

this reminds me that i really really hate monkeys. i can't even watch them on tv, they creep me right out, it's even worse when they're wearing clothes and being forced to act human, as is so popular on greeting cards.

They're so much like dumb bratty little kids, but hairy loud kids who will never grow up or learn anything.
    icky things!

By dave. on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:45 pm:

they'll also rip your arms off and beat you to death with them. they might even shit on your dead face.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:40 pm:

two gay chimps walk into a bar....

ok. i don't have a punch line, but god damn if such a joke would be tops right about now.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

By kazoo on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

wisper, I don't know how, but I hope one day you have the pleasure of meeting my bestfriend Shannon.

By Donkey kong on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:10 am:

doz shannon like banna nuz.

By wisper on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

"they'll also rip your arms off and beat you to death with them. they might even shit on your dead face."

Are you talking about little kids or monkies?
    Because i think that can apply to both.
    Especially the shitting part.
    Evil !

I hope for the pleasure of one day meeting Shannon, as long as she's not a chimp in a sundress and a staw hat with a flower on it, because if she is... screw her.

By kazoo on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:50 pm:

No she just loathes monkeys and she always has a lot to say about movies she doesn't like.

You guys would totally get along. She is a pop culture fanatic, although she's not into cartoons so much. That's my job.

By wisper on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:27 am:

sweet. good people are sadly hard to find these days.
    :D

here's a story about kids-
    i went to Wonderland last sunday with a few friends, and in line for a ride there was this little 5 or 6 year old girl who was watching me intently as i tied up my boots. She pushes past her mom's legs and crawls under the lineup railings to get beside me, just to shout out:
    "YOU look like a BOY!"
    "guh?"
    "YOU look like a BOOOOY!!!" *giggle*
    "oh, thanks."

(i do not, in fact, look like a boy. I have a girly face and hair down to my hips. Not to mention a girl ass. It's all the army surplus that threw her off. Happens a lot. But to girls that age in little pink jumpers and tights, i guess i look like a boy)

she's not going away.... a minute later:
    "YOU look like a BOY!"
    "uh-huh"
    *poke pokes my leg*
    "YOU look like a BOY!!!"
    "Well, that's okay. See, my boyfriend looks like a girl, so it's even!."

with that i motion to Rowlf, who gets called "Miss" all the time until people see his face, because his hair is long-ish and bleached. I think he hates it though.

Anyway, the kid was so confused

By Corncob on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:18 am:

i would have hit that kid with a shovel,if her mom was,nt looking.

By dave. on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:31 am:

lean down and say, "your mommy just told me she doesn't love you anymore."

By Corncob on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:12 pm:

good idea,but i still prefer the shovel.

By patrick on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

wait.

wisper.

rowlf

wisper

rowlf

wisper+rowlf

i must be out of the loop.

By Loop fixer on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

loop now fix.you will get invoice from mexico.pay promptly.

By Homo on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

is this now a homo site.

By Antigone on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:00 pm:

Now?

By Homo on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

yes now.

By Rowlf on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

"i must be out of the loop. "

no, just perhaps a little less observant then a few other people here....

By Homer simpson on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

gee-my very own site[doh]

By wisper on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

fear not patrick, you'd only know by looking at IPs

i think.

By agatha on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:43 pm:

everyone drags their mate in here eventually. i got it, but i wasn't sure.

By Knock down pirates on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:00 am:

cover each pirate with three or four layers of torn paper pasted on with pva glue.leave to dry until rock hard.

By Hope on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

i sat paralyzed with cold and misery,as i watched titanic give a lurch forward.one of the huge funnels toppled off like a cardboard model,falling into the sea with a fearful roar.a few cries came to us across the water,then silence,as the ship seemed to right herself like a hurt animal with a broken back.she settled for a few minutes,but one more deck of lighted ports disappeared.then she went down by the head with a thundering roar of underwater explosions,our proud ship,our beautiful titanic gone to her doom.one awful moment of empty,misty blackness enveloped us in its loneliness,then an unforgettable,agonizing cry went up from 1500 despairing throats,a long wail and then silence and our tiny craft tossing about at the mercy of the ice field.

By spunky on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:11 pm:

"everyone drags their mate in here eventually. i got it, but i wasn't sure."

Nico has not been drug into this pit of hell yet.

By semillama on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

Hell is other people.
    -some guy

By agatha on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 03:23 pm:

Yeah, but Nico's not addicted to the internet, is she?

By wisper on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

nico said something one time, i remember.
    Patty has an office job, he needs us.
    I like it better that way, keeps her mysterious.

By TBone on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:32 am:

Mine hasn't been drug in either. Not the Internet type either.

By moonit on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:40 am:

I totally missed the Wisper/Rowlf thing. Then latetly I havent been paying attention anyway.

The Pandyr came here once, but you all yelled at him (it was in one of our many breakups), and now I think he's too scared to come back. Which is good, cause otherwise he might find out how much I paid to get him some Almond Joys.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:47 pm:

no.

shes not web savy enough to bother. .

she doesnt really understand the idea of a BBS. its 'chat' to her and for that she thinks im silly.

when things start arriving in the mail, she thinks im really silly.

By semillama on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

i was thinking about this topic yesterday in the car. And I came to the conclusion that language is probably irrelavent as to what defines our genus. I think that full-time bipedalism (especially our foot shape)is the deciding factor.

So now, I think they should leave chimps where they are.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

What made you decide that bipedalism was the hallmark of the Homo genus, Sem?

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

sem, I'm gonna break my homo foot up yo ass!

By semillama on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

It's really the one thing that makes us stand out.

ba-dum-dump!

By patrick on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

helps us stand out as well as get a foot in the door, a spring in our step!

By Big foot on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:19 pm:

fame at last.

By senillama on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

There you go. If Bigfoot exists, it's probably of the genus Homo.

By Bigfoot on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

no YOU'RE of the genus, HOMO!

By semillama on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

well DUH.

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

This is interesting. But, long.

My thoughts - all creatures have a "language" which they use to comunicate to others of their kind. It's what we are communicating that sets us apart from birds and fish and chimpanzees.

By TBone on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 11:37 pm:

Wouldn't it be cool if we communicated like bees do? We'd have to shake our tushes to say Hello, do a little tap dance to comment on the weather...

Politicians and Lawyers would be some of the most athletic people around.

Gotta put on my talkin' shoes.

By Bigfoot on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 - 08:32 am:

.............or talking feet........

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact