Military to get new BDU

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Military to get new BDU
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

Take a look at these new BDUs (battle dress uniforms) and tell me what you think they are for.

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

warfare in the Artic circle?

maybe we should take note of the Liberian 'BDU'

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

they have the white/grey ones already for artic fighting

By patrick on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

well spunkgalooo you've got me stumped.

i can't think of anything other than night time artic warfare or deep sea warfare.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

Urban. These are for city street fighting

By Antigone on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:16 pm:

Everybody hide your anarchist cookbooks!

By eri on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

Damn, now there will be uniforms for urban warfare. Maybe if we put them all in the Y for an overnight shut in they will all become friends and no one will need to wear them then.

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

What concrete jungle could you blend into wearing those things?

(I am currently on hold with Travelocity's customer service, as I am so dumb as to buy airline tickets for flights leaving on the wrong days. What an idiot I am. Instead of Muzak, I get to listen to Billie Holiday sing about what is this thing called love, and now I'm listening to Sting's "Mad About You," which is nice, because I haven't heard it in years and years. "A stone's throw from Jerusalem...")

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

you could blend it at night far better with the new colors versus the green/brown/tan/black they are wearing now.

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

Argh. It's going to cost $80 to make the ticket changes, and I have to wait to buy new tickets until after I've received the current ones in the mail and have sent them back and tracked them w/ FedEx to make sure they've been returned and received. All because I'm careless and didn't check to see that one dropdown box had the right number in it. This bums me out.

Ok, back to the BDUs. What about black? Well, anyway, I'm sure the military's fashion designers did their research.

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

the blue camoflage is real?
    hurray!

i see it in army stores but i always thought it was a made-up one, like that ugly 'cyber-flage' that's like regular green camo but pixelated.
    Or that girly camoflage with pink that shows up sometimes in malls.
    Or the pants i have which have been mocked as "slaughterhouse camoflage", made of black white and red. I never know what to make of it.

anyway, the blue camo is real! yay!

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

What is this "cyber-flage" of which you speak? Any pictures?

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:14 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

That Liberian BDU looks like a P-Funk show gone horribly awry.

I think that the "urban BDU" looks like its made for european/northern urban areas. I mean, look at that photo again, then think of the primary color of Middle Eastern cities. They'd stick out like sore thumbs.

If it were for American cities, they would need spray painted tags on them.

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

see? it's nasty.

(its real name is "American digital disruptive camouflage pattern")

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

"That Liberian BDU looks like a P-Funk show gone horribly awry."

I love it. I am having trouble keeping my laughter down.

I was looking at the flowered over-alls..
    but I imagine those poor souls grab what they can.

DAMMIT.

By spunky on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:48 pm:

I just read something that said those uniforms are replacing the desert BDU's and standard BDUs.

I cannot understand that.
    It must be a night thing.

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

hot damn, it's offical, it's ugly, and my taxes created it!

oh, the things you learn on the internet!
    ---

"WASHINGTON — They might be the few and the proud, but the U.S. Marine Corps isn’t alone in its trailblazing effort to make a distinctively flashy fashion statement.

The Canadian army was there first.

The Marine Corps just started field-testing the computer-generated, digitally dappled "cammies," or camouflage uniforms, while the Canadian forces began field-testing them in 1995.

In fact, the Canadian army has been researching the feasibility of digitally designed uniforms and collecting data since 1988, said Canadian Lt. Col. Jacques Levesque, project manager for the Clothe solider program.

"We’re at the leading edge of this," he said.

Both the Corps’ pixilated uniform and the "new Canadian disruptive pattern," or CADPAT, are designed to blend better with surroundings, while standing out among other services’ uniforms.

Canadian research proves the pixilated uniforms hide soldiers better, he said. For example, between two soldiers standing side-by-side, one clad in the digitally designed uniform and the other in the traditional battle dress uniform, there is a 40 percent less chance of being detected from 200 meters away in the improved version, he said.

And there’s an entire science behind the production of the uniforms. Different fabrics absorb dyes differently, and the Canadian army has spent five years working with companies to perfect the mix to render the best pattern.

The Canadian government holds the copyright to the digital pattern and the Danish company DADCON owns the algorithms and digital analysis that make up the patterns."

----

By J on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

Canada is looking real good to me these days.

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:04 pm:

cmon up! I'll take you to Wonderland and you can meet Spongebob and get your picture taken with him.
    Then i'll fix ya some Limeaide.

By Spider on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

Daaaag, Wisper. That's just, well, fugly.

By pamela on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:23 pm:

I've been talking to the hubby about possibly moving to Canada, but I've heard that they are not accpeting new Visa's or something like that.

Which parts of Canada are French speaking? I took 4 years of French and my mom had set up a job for me somewhere in Canada with her company to be a translator... of course then I started dating my husband and I fell in love and of course turned down the job. But I was kind of hoping to maybe try again...

By semillama on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

Quebec is Francophone.

I saw the new USMC "digital camo" BDUS when I was at Camp Pendleton earlier this year, and I was wondering about it.

I wonder when they will hit the surplus stores, I need some new BDU trousers. The ones I am wearing now are developing serious holes in the side pockets.

You can't beat BDUs for summer field clothing.

By wisper on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

you could get any number of sweet, stable bi-lingual jobs anywhere in the country if you speak french. Every single government job, even the lowliest office position, you must speak french. Everyone who works for every airline has to speak french. And Via Rail employees. And everyone in Ottawa.
    Normally speaking, french people live in Quebec and New Brunswick, and half of Ottawa.

By wisper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

don't do it sem, it's fugly!

By semillama on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

Actually, i need a good pair of used BDUs that have been broken in. Mine have been the most comfortable pair of pants I've ever owned.

By wisper on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:18 pm:

well, there's no arguing that, i'm wearing some of them pants right now. And the shorts are comfy too.

i merely try to steer you away from the cyber-flage. It's in abundance at our surplus stores.

"Look at me! I'm a badly rendered PlayStation 2 enemy!"

By Elijah J. MacNeish on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:20 pm:

I acutally like it. Our troops don't wear BDU's as a fashion statement, you know. I'll probably buy a pair if they start looking like they'll take over the old variety.
    --Elijah

By Mc.Coy The real on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:33 pm:

WAIT UNTILL HALLOWEEN,AND GET A FREE CREEPY MASK.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact