Dammit, who forgot to flush?

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Dammit, who forgot to flush?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

Smelly Mystery Blob Takes Over N.J. Town
    LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - It smells like rotten eggs at best, decomposing flesh at worst. It looks like the pods from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

To the people whose homes back up onto a Tuckerton Creek tributary where the gelatinous substance recently appeared, it's just "The Blob."

"It's frightening," said Eileen Masterson. "We can't swim because the odor is so horrible and we won't crab here because we don't know whether it's safe."

The substance, which was noticed about two weeks ago, consists of jelly-like bulbs that undulate with the waves just below the surface.

By most accounts, it generally stays submerged in about 8 feet of water in the lagoon. At low tide, some of it pokes through the surface of the water, looking like marbled rocks.

But no one's sure what it is.

The state Department of Environmental Protection poked at the blob and took samples as part of a half-dozen field tests Tuesday before deciding it's not hazardous.

"We've determined that it's not toxic. It's mostly like some algae or fungus," said DEP spokesman Jack Kaskey. "It may be an algae growth that lived on the bottom of the lagoon and after its life cycle ended, gases brought it up to the surface."

Robert Ingenito, environmental health coordinator for the Ocean County Health Department, said he hadn't seen anything like it in 30 years of public health work.

"In the dead-end lagoons, you normally see vegetative material that rots, fish kills or dissolved oxygen problems, but I've never seen anything like this," he said. "It's strange."

Sounds like NJ to me.
    At least Newark anyway.

By Nate on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

nas-ass-ty.

speaking of smelly, the sewer line backed up here. for me, the symptom was a very slow flush. often taking 8+ flushes to nail down a good drop-off.

for the sidewalk, the symptom was a trail of raw sewage that seeped from the [soil stack escape hatch, whatever they call that plug]. everytime i flushed, "water" would push out of the plug.

for my nextdoor neighbor, it was shit bubbling up in his shower.

my shit.

heh.

and i shit a lot.

By eri on Friday, August 8, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

Oh, thanks Nate.....I needed a good laugh today.

Mental image of Nate's neighbor bitching about shit coming up in his shower to Nate....Nate "can I see said shit" Neighbor shows the shower and Nate laughing "I do shit a lot".

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact