That was scary....

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: That was scary....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

6.5 hits central coast. in hollywood, bldgs sway.

jesus christ i need a drink, that was scary.

By Spider on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

Damn! Is everything okay there?

A couple weeks ago there was an earthquake of 4.5 with an epicentre in Richmond, VA, and I felt it at work....I thought it was just the heating system in the building malfunctioning and rumbling a bit.

By dave. on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

cool!

By patrick on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

so far so good.

i felt sea sick. we all realized what was happening and just watched the blinds and other objects sway back and forth. it seemed to go forever.

my nerves and equilibrium are still out of whack.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

I'm telling you man, God hates California. It was not meant to be inhabited.

By heather on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

god hates people

he loves california

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

god hates people loving california

jealous asshole

By patrick on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:05 pm:

did you guys feel it up your way smeather?

By heather on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:57 pm:

people did

i didn't

By eri on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 10:48 pm:

OK, I am glad to hear that everyone is allright. That I should say first.

But I can't help but laugh here. I mean, I have been through bigger quakes then that, pinned between a cement wall and a glass wall while on crutches that were acting as a jackhammer, and still wasn't scared.

I guess I am an oddball, cuz I am sorry I missed out on the quake. When something of that magnitude hits, I dance. Literally.

They really don't scare me in the slightest. Probably cuz I have lived through them and never seen too much to scare me. I have studied them at length.

Earthquakes are fun to me.

It's tornados and hurricanes that scare me, and you usually find larger amounts of damage, and more deaths and injuries from them.

But maybe that's just cuz I am a Cali baby, and grew up there, where earthquakes were the norm.

By TBone on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:25 am:

Pervert. People died.
    I'd probably react the same way.
    I root for natural disasters.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

bullshit.

you know how many times i've heard that exact sentiment from people yesterday? you know how many of them were in a high rise office bldg? none. evertone i've spoken too who was in a high rise office bldg was pretty damn shaken up.

every been in a high rise?

you *know* its safe, mostly. you *know* that swaying is a good thing. you know all of this. but that rationale doesnt help when you're in the middle of it and they structure you're in is creaking and your looking out a window watching the world sway and your being tossed side to side. this is a 12 story bldg with tons of steele and concrete, not a ride at Disneyland. It just doesnt feel right when its happening. you just pray the bldg doesnt snap in half. this bldg has been here for 30 years? how is the foundation holding up? where's the structural limit? you don't know and thats what gets me. you dont know the limit. at home at any given time, im 20 feet from the door if need be. moreover, the house is bolted so I feel pretty secure. here. fuck no.

Granted this quake wasnt major by the time it reached LA, but because of the relative shallowness of it, it was felt widespread. I've been at home during quakes and felt much much more secure. You fell more in control. Here, all I could do was ride it out. I couldnt leave. They caution against using the stairwell in a major quake because it could be unsafe.

hurricanes and tornados are nothing. you can always take shelter. you can't take shelter from an earthquake.

By kazu on Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

If it's coming from the ground, it's going to be pretty bad, mudslides, avalanches, volcanoes. i don't think they are *nothing* but can't you get something of a warning with hurricanes and tornadoes? I've never heard of an earthquake warning (i.e. the weather service being able to predict it...would that fall under weather? probably not), but I could be wrong. when it comes to natural disasters and acts of god, I usually am, we never got many of those in massachusettes. blizzards, but most people can manage them without too much trouble. my step-father scolded me when I told him that Andy and I went back to bed after checking the news when we had a tornado warning. I wasn't scared when I felt my first earthquake but that's because it wasn't very strong, I was half asleep and didn't even know what was going on until I was told the next morning that there was a quake.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

Warnings don't mean much for hurricanes or tornados. The areas covered are to wide to be specific enough to be much good.

We've had a few tornados in Maryland, luckily not to many, and non of them were "predicted". By the time a warning could be issued they were already here and gone. It isn't like Kansas where there are miles and miles of miles and miles. The terain veries to much to be sure where a tornado will strike.

And, huricanes seem to make up their own minds where and when they will make land fall. Since we don't get to many of these like Florida and other "Southern" states we don't have strong enough building codes to really make much difference. As for the basement being a good place to take refuge. First, my wife couldn't get in the basement if Freddy Crouger was standing right behind her saying boo! Secondly here flooding is our major headache so a Basement may not be the best choice as a place to ride it out.

Although they are very rare we have felt the earth move a little a few times in my life. Most of the time these little quakes go unnoticed until mentioned on the evening news.

All the other natural disasters mentioned seem to stay away from Maryland.

By Picnic on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 08:03 pm:

totally unrelated, but why can't i get messages posted in the last day?

By Rowlfe on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 11:41 am:

By TBone on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

Oh, I'd have shat myself for sure. But i'd have acted very cool about it.

By patrick on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

watcher, warnings can mean a lot with tornados and hurricanes. are you nuts?

hurricanes offten are preceded by days of warnings and weather reports. property and lives are saved because of advanced weather forcasting.

The last major hurricane that slammed into NC....they had nearly a week to prepare. How did that advance info not save property and lives? And hurricanes, relatively speaking are quite predictable, as far as weather patterns go.

tornados, while less predictable than hurricanes, are still avoidable. i had several instances as a kid, being held at school, crouched in the hallway with my peers when there was a tornado warning, or being ushered into the basement with my family because a warning came over the TV. The tornado may have not come within a mile of me, but at least I had a heads up that conditions existed and i should take precautions.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

Reread my post patrick you'll find we are both right.

You and I are basing our postings on our personal experiences. Maryland weather has traditionally been very unpredictable. It's our geographic location and topography that make it that way.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact