Robertson: Bush said no deaths in Iraq

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Robertson: Bush said no deaths in Iraq
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:32 am:

linky

"Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says he warned President Bush before U.S. troops invaded Iraq that the United States would sustain casualties but that Bush responded, 'Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties.'"

I know I've posted this before, but I think it's thread worthy.

This is puzzling. I wish trace were around for a conservative religious perspective. (Not kidding, really!)

This smells like a political takedown attempt on Bush from the religious right. I mean, how could that quote from Bush possibly be interpreted in a positive way? There's no way that this can be good for Bush.

1) It's a TV interview, with an icon of the Christian right saying Bush was clueless before the Iraq invasion, heedless of his warnings that were straight from God: "The Lord told me it was going to be, A, a disaster and, B, messy."

That means either Robertson's in contact with God, or Bush is. If it's both, then God's lying to one of them. If it's one or the other, who is really in touch with God? Why throw this divide smack dab into the Christian right community with just enough time for it to confuse everyone? Why not shut up until after the election?

Robertson also said that he thinks God is behind Bush. "I think God's blessing him," he said. Well, if God's blessing him, why did he lie to him about Iraq deaths?

Robertson also said, "And you remember, I think the Chinese used to say, you know, it's the blessing of heaven on the emperor. And I think the blessing of heaven is on Bush. It's just the way it is." This has got to be the most backhanded way to say God's behind Bush. He's comparing Bush to a CHINESE EMPEROR. I mean, that's two bad words for the Christian right: chinese (not exactly the good guys) and emperor. (Most arrogant title mortal man can bestow upon himself.)

2) This is perfectly timed for a takedown. There's just enough time for the confusion to seep into Bush's KEY support group. If this is really a takedown, then once the initial story starts to die down, another big negative story will hit. My prediction is that the 2nd punch will come from the true conservative wing of the republican party. (Which is probably where this attack has really come from. It's just hidden behind the religious right...)

What do ya'll think?

By Dougie on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:50 am:

Interesting tiggy, but what do they gain from it? Revenge and four years of Kerry, hoping that he falls on his ass and leaves the door open for ultra-conservatives in 2008?

By Antigone on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:00 am:

I know. That's why it's so curious.

There's an interesting article in US News about a coming war in the republican party between the conservatives and neoconservatives, no matter who wins in the election. Maybe it's just starting early...

By semillama on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:53 am:

Bush also once asserted that Sweden had no army. When someone tried to be be diplomatic and say that perhaps he meant Switzerland, he decisively said that he meant Sweden. A couple of weeks later, he admitted his mistake to that person.

I could find the link but feeling lazy right now.

By Nate on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:33 pm:

considering that bush is neither acting like a republican or a conservative, i'm not too suprised. if i were in politics i'd want to distance myself from him too. especially if the feeling is that he might not pull this election off.

it will be easier to beat kerry in '08 than clinton.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:57 pm:

yeah, I dont see kerry lasting more than one term on personality, thats for sure. We'll see if he can actually get anything done first.

it depends on who the Reps pick. McCain seems the obvious choice, but who knows if he'll still be considered the cool maverick then. Either way its hard to imagine them picking anyone worse than Bush for 08.

By semillama on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

They could pick Rove.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:46 pm:

From the Salon War Room:

Robertson's reality-based sin against Bush

We aren't the only ones who took notice of evangelical Christian leader Pat Robertson's bizarre endorsement of President Bush Tuesday night on CNN, when he told Paula Zahn that ahead of the Iraq invasion last year Bush emphatically assured him, "We're not going to have any casualties."

According to the New York Times today, Kerry campaign spokesman Mike McCurry asked the White House on Wednesday to clarify whether or not Robertson was telling the truth. "I think given the prominence of Reverend Robertson's remarks today, it would be important for the president to indicate whether in fact he told Pat Robertson that he didn't believe there'd be casualties in Iraq," McCurry said at a campaign stop in Waterloo, Iowa.

Bush officials, according to the Times, refuted the account in lockstep -- essentially labeling Robertson a liar.

"White House officials denied that Mr. Bush had ever uttered the remark. Karl Rove, Karen Hughes and Scott McClellan all told reporters in Eau Claire, Wis., that Mr. Robertson was mistaken. 'Of course the president never made such a comment,' said Mr. McClellan, the White House press secretary. 'The president both publicly and privately was preparing the American people for the possibility of a military conflict and the possibility that sacrifices may be necessary.'

"Mr. Rove, the president's chief political adviser, said he had attended the Nashville meeting and had not heard such a remark. 'I was right there,' Mr. Rove said."

Bush got some additional backup from a different evangelical leader, who painted Robertson as persona non grata:

"'I think he speaks for an ever diminishing group of evangelicals on most issues,' said Dr. Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberties Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. Mr. Robertson, who has frequently recounted what he says God has told him on matters of public interest, is out of step with most evangelicals in his doubts about the war, Dr. Land said."

Fact or fiction, Robertson's eyebrow-raising comments regarding Bush's blind faith in the war seem to indicate a new connection with the reality-based community. Indeed, with regard to the presidential race, the televangelist apparently has also made a switch from dialing the man upstairs to dialing into the poll numbers:

"In the CNN interview, Mr. Robertson reversed himself on one prophecy. On his '700 Club' television program in January, he declared that Mr. Bush would win re-election 'in a walk,' and added, 'I really believe I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be a blowout election in 2004.'

"On Tuesday, however, he conceded, 'I thought it was going to be a blowout, but I think it's razor thin now.'"

By Nate on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 04:50 pm:

it sounds like the Lord is just one of us, speculating on the outcome of the election based on what the media feeds us. i am beginning to think that the Lord is Mr. Robertson's pet name for some dude in the background. perhaps his head writer, or producer, or the sound guy, or Jessica Hahn, that whore who fucked James Bakker. praise the motherfucking lord.

it is neat to watch the chess, in a way. kerry's camp pulls the 'we think bush needs to respond,' card, forcing the bush camp to come out and call Mr. Robertson a liar. then the bush camp pulls it's own evangelical stool-tool as damage control.

i stick my head out the window and yell "YOU'RE ALL BEING MANIPULATED" but no one but the pigeons look at you when you yell downtown.

the blue whale produces 400 gallons of jism with each ejaculation. how the fuck do they know that?

and where is spiracle?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

question out of nowhere: is anyone on the board from Washington State?

By Nate on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:26 pm:

dave and agatha.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 06:03 pm:

Okay then

Hey Dave and Agatha, if you get the News Tribune, I'm going to have a huge piece of artwork in it next week. Supposedly front page of one of the Features sections.

I wouldnt make a big deal out of it except for the fact that I'm psyched for the article they just gave me to do an illustration for.

By kazu on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 06:24 pm:

I wanna see!!!!!!!!!

By patricks on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:15 pm:

by the way, dave, tigg....the combination of the 10 album cd you sent me and mp3/cd discman are totally saving my ass these days. thanks dudes.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:25 pm:

Anybody here the "new" Elliott Smith album? Just got it. Pretty awesome. I love the title too, "From A Basement on the Hill"

By Dougie on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:32 pm:

Woops, either "anybody hear..." or "anybody here get..." Take your choice.

My bad.

By dave. on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:21 pm:

no prob, patrick.

dougie, were you talking about the latest wilco album on wayd? or just wilco in general.

By dave. on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:22 pm:

rowlfe, i don't usually read the newspaper. any idea which day?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:58 pm:

Nov. 2, election day

By Dougie on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:31 am:

Both dave. I really like the sparseness of Ghost Is Born, but have been listening to YHF a lot lately too. How about yourself, do you like Ghost?

By kazu on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:35 am:

i like da purty moosic what dafe gives to me

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:10 am:

i can snag several if you like.

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:14 am:

kazu, did you like tarwater? that's been on random repeat in our clock radio cd player alarm clock. all night long, night after night.

did you like fiery furnaces? i totally like them.

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:17 am:

"i can snag several if you like."

by that i mean i can obtain copies of the tacoma news tribune (TNT!).

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:35 am:

holy shit, i'm multi-posting like v/dodi.

i'm so sorry!

By kazu on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:42 am:

i LOVE firey furnaces.

I like tarwater too.

and if you wouldn't mind, I'd love a copy of the
    paper.

By Rowlfe on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:11 am:

I might need a copy of the paper hehhe

they're sending me tearsheets, which are actually better.. but its not the same thing

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:18 am:

no prob. i'll hook you up.

maybe post a reminder on or around 11/2.

By jack on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:21 am:

dave,...HI...

have you seen the fiery furnaces play live?

ps. i know you'll grab TNT copies for rowlfe. because if you don't i will attack america with nuclear weapons. or i might just start a jello fight that will disable the standard workings of our economy. do not doubt the power of jello IF YOU MAKE THE WRONG CHOICE.

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:32 am:

jack,....Hi;)

nope. they played here last week. well, seattle. not really "here". i hear the show is a sort of montage of their songs. not like they are on the recordings.

are you threatening me....,...|:-0

By jack on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:48 am:

HI,..most EXCELLENT fella I"M just curious.

but also, i just want to make sure you know the possible consequences of making the "WRONG" choice. it might not be safe. to make the "WRONG." choice.

;K#O - ?)

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:52 am:

have you seen them? ;~{

By jack on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:56 am:

no, but i am friendly with a group that toured with them and had nice things to say about them. i wondered what you would say about the rogers sisters if you had seen them.

*~E

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:06 am:

òºÞ

By jack on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:09 am:

epic emoticon, dude.

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:14 am:

yeah. too bad it's lame.

By jack on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:16 am:

what are you talking about? i waved a bic at that thing.

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:20 am:

:~‡ch{>>}

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:21 am:

..........$~`; []----- 7

By dave. on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:22 am:

J

By patrick on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:17 pm:

i havent even gotten to the fiery furnaces or subtle or the medicine albums you put on the discs.

the air albums are seriously rocking my world right now and its about all i can liten too.

10000mhz....the 2nd song became some sort of religious experience for me.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 07:24 pm:

hey dave, if you get the Seattle Stranger weekly, I'll have a piece in it on this upcoming weeks issue in the food section you should look for... I'll also be in the news tribune again soon, if it hasnt passed already

By _______0________ on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:27 pm:

________((0))__________

By on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:42 pm:

Hi Dave º¿º

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact