this one might actually take out NOLA.

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: this one might actually take out NOLA.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 05:40 am:

By Nate on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:16 pm:

fuck. now it's a cat 5.

"If it came ashore with the intensity it has now and went to the New Orleans area, it would be the strongest we've had in recorded history there"

(Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.)

j- czarina is nearby?

By droopy on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:19 pm:

do you know what it means, katrina
    to miss new orleans, katrina?
    and miss it each night and day
    i know I’m not wrong this feeling's gettin' stronger
    so, bitch, won't you just stay the hell away

miss them moss covered vines the tall sugar pines where mockin' birds used to call
    and I'd like to see that lazy mississippi hurryin' into fall
    the moonlight on the bayou, a creole tune that fills the air
    i dream about magnolias in bloom
    and i'm wishin' you won't be there, katrina

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:08 pm:

seems like its going to be more like Hurricane Kitana. yikes.

By Antigone on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 06:21 pm:

Yep. It's all of that very warm water in the gulf fueling a giant storm like that.

Funny how the water's so warm there these days. I wonder why that is...

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:10 pm:

what category was Hurriane Andrew when it hit Miami?

I'm reading they expect 80% of the homes in NOLA to be destroyed, floods will remove coffins from graveyards, lots of stuff, but havent really seen much of how it'll compare to Andrew...

I havent been watching CNN. are they hanging out in New Orleans anyways? Most hurricane coverage is the same but I picture this one being particularly bizarre and just plain wrong.

By Antigone on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:17 pm:

Andrew was a 5. NOLA is in for a world of shit.

By droopy on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:12 pm:

i assume everybody knows by now what a unique situation new orleans (i hate "nola") is in - like the netherlands, it was built below sea level and the only thing that ever kept it from being under water was the series of levees around the city. and that the water table there is so high (dig 2 feet in some places and you'll hit water) that all coffins are "buried" above ground - the "cities of the dead".

By semillama on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

What's crazy is that we can't evacuate the entire city. There's
    upwards of 100,000 people who can't leave because they have
    no way out, no transportation, no money. So, if you're poor, get
    to the superdome and pray it holds.

I'm glad I've been able to see the town. New Orleans is one of
    the most interesting cities in America, and the fact that people
    aren't really freaking out over the fact that a major American city
    is going to be basically destroyed is troubling.

Of course, I have to get off my high horse and admit to not
    looking forward to helping Kazu move during hurricane
    remnant-weather, and hoping that my flight home from ATL on
    weds isn't too bumpy.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:14 am:

it disturbs me how many people are calling this 'cool'

how much has been done to help get people out of town? as in free transporation, buses, trains, anything?

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:21 am:

if anyone is up, somethingawful.com has a guy in Baton Rouge that is giving updates every 15 minutes
    on their main page.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:25 am:

By droopy on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:00 am:

my browser can't do shit. i'm just going to assume katrina is a motherfucker.

anybody who can't get out of new orleans (or jefferson parish in general) under their own power is being sent to the superdome

earlier this evening i met one of my new neighbors. he asked me if i was living here when the two tornadoes ripped up the city. i was. when he asked me what it was like, i said it was cool. mostly because it sounds better than "fucking scary."

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:08 am:

call me a sentimental fucker, but it just really hit me how so many people have left their pets behind, and how they obviously dont have room for them in the shelters...

By droopy on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:32 am:

makes me think of that hemingway short story "the old man at the bridge". it's set during the evacuation of a spanish village during the civil war, and a soldier finds a lone old man sitting on the side of the road worrying about all the animals he has to leave behind.

"there was nothing to do about him. it was easter sunday and the fascists were advancing toward the ebro. it was a gray overcast day with a low ceiling so the planes were not up. that and the fact that cats know how to take care of themselves was all the good luck that old man would ever have."

By platypus on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:36 am:

I was thinking about that too, Rowlfe. A lot of emergency animal rescue organizations specialize in that kind of thing. I would assume they are deploying to New Orleans. Personally, I would never evacuate without my animals--and I assume most of the people who could get out under their own power felt the same way.

And I would be a lot more worried about the large animals (like carriage horses)...who would extremely difficult to get to safety.

By droopy on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:52 am:

i don't think it would be that difficult to move carriage horses. god knows i'm constantly seeing horses being hauled around fort worth in horse trailers. i think the owner of a working horse would have a way to move it. the bigger problem would be to find a place to put it once you get to safety.

By platypus on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:54 am:

There's a list of equine shelters, actually, put out by the city of New Orleans in their disaster management plan. But horses are such fussy animals that they're hard to move, especially when they are stressed. And emergency crews coming in to rescue animals (like the HSUS) may not have the supplies to deal with horses. Presumably the tracks in the city have already been evacuated.

It is kind of a wierd thought that an entire city is probably being wiped out, right now.

By droopy on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:14 am:

actually, i've known few horses in my life but a number of horse owners. they just always seemed resourceful (owners).

it hasn't land yet, has it? i'm not exactly getting up-to-minute reports.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:16 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:18 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:19 am:

breaking news:
    downgraded to a category 4

By droopy on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:49 am:

4, huh. needs to be lower. i'm going to bed now. if i wake up tomorrow morning and find out this massive geofart has fucked up the crescent city, i'm going to be pissed.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 04:08 am:

har har,
    the CNN woman meant to say "daybreak" and it came out mucked up, sounded like "date rape"

a nice 3:55am chuckle

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:40 am:

There are very few true circles in nature. Katrina's eye in that fucking huge image comes pretty close.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:07 am:

By Nate on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:09 am:

80% of new orleans under up to 20 feet of water. both airports under water. 2-block wide levee break. water is still rising.

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:30 am:

Just a quick note to let you know we survived.No damage here.But we were sweating bullets waiting to see where Katrina was going to hit. I was terrified.
    I'm about 120 miles due west of New Orleans.Hurricane
    Lilly went through my to my town a couple of years ago,and it was a nightmare,and it was only a catagory 1 when it hit.
    I will not leave my animals, so we were hunkered in.Have too many horses and the rest of my menagerie to consider evacuating,but I do not live in a low lying area.
    The Fair Grounds race track in New Orleans is not open until around Thansgiving, so there shouldn't have been any horses stabled there[it has to do with racing rules,can't have more than 1 track racing within x amount of miles,and the track here is still open],but there are many horse farms in that area,and I hope they had the foresight to evacuate,but as Droopy [:)]pointed out,it is difficult to move large amounts of livestock,and WHERE do you take them? Not to mention,that horses can't tolerate the hidious heat and humidity, riding in metal horse trailers,in bumper to bumper traffic,inching along at a snails pace.

On the upside, we won a race Satuarday night.

I might go with the Red Cross on my days off,but what a nightmare it will be.The heat,and the HORRIBLE amounts of mosquitos that will hatch,carrying all kinds of hidious diseases.

I am sure that many people simply didn't have the financial means to evacuate,with the rampant poverty here in the south,and had to stay.

I cannot imagine the horror they went through,and will do whatever I can to help.

By droopy on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:41 pm:

actually, it was platypus who had the insight about how difficult it would be to move livestock.

i'm just glad you're ok, czarina.

By platypus on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

Hear hear on the Czarina report. I've been worried about you.

The pictures that I have been seeing look quite intense.

I was talking with a friend last night about how I found it odd that an entire city was devastated overnight, but no one here really seemed to care. It seems like terrorism is the only thing that gets people out in the streets milling around in shock these days. It's especially unnerving to think about the high poverty rate in the south, as well, and how that probably made the effects even worse for a lot of folks. My friend J was just about to move to New Orleans to join the police force there. I'll be he's glad the deal on his house hasn't closed yet...

By Karla on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:39 pm:

I never thought I'd live to see the destruction of New Orleans. Unbelievable. The ripple effect (gas prices, insurance rates, the economy, the human suffering)will surely rival 9/11.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:51 am:

Well, there goes the 2nd of the only three places i ever wanted to see in the USA.

LA bowling alley used in the Big Lebowski- torn down.
    New Orleans- detroyed.

Look out Savannah GA, you're next :(

By patrick on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:26 pm:

GF's house in the garden district appears to have escaped major flooding. though no one knows for sure. could be a tree in the middle of it. emotions running high 2500 miles away.

im trying to talk her out of going as soon as they let people back in the city.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:27 pm:

and whats odd wipser is i have a connection to each of your three places. maybes its me.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:40 pm:

12 to 16 weeks before they'll let people back in the city.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:25 pm:

i had this picture in my head of the city being turned into some giant Post Apocalypse amusement park.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:46 pm:

it makes me think of this ride at Six Flags in Atlanta. This boat ride through a haunted antebellum mansion that has been flooded. It's called the Monster Plantation. At some point, you go through this happy flooded southern mansion, robots are singing and dancing and then you come to a point where the ride takes a dark turn. The sheriff is there to greet you and yells for you to stop your boat saying "DON'T GO IN THE MARSH!!!!" and of course you do and it gets dark and scary and so forth. But everything is flooded, but everyone seems happy.

By droopy on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

i spent much of last night listening to cajun, zydeco, and jazz music on the radio. even fell asleep to jazz. i one part of a dream i had last night, a jazz procession was going through the flooded streets of new orleans. you know, like a jazz funeral. the players were completely underwater, with the occasional top hat, silver-tipped cane, slide from a trombone, or tuba bowl sticking out of the water. and every so often a trumpet stick up for a lick or two. the water roiled and the music bubbled up and sounded choked and waterlogged but still had joy and resolution to it. sounded like tom waits, in a way.

new orleans will never die.

wisper is stalking you, patrick.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:01 pm:

it could happen.

i've had a stalker before.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

One of my roommates last year is from New Orleans, lives in Thibodeaux. Jeanette's in New Mexico right now, but her family's still in the area and her sister lives two blocks from Bourbon St. (Her family came to visit us in June -- great people.) I emailed her (at her Loyola University New Orleans address) to see if her family's okay, and her email bounced back to me...I'm thinking maybe the school's servers are down because of the damage.

She doesn't have a phone yet, so now I don't have a way to reach her to see if her family's okay. Ugh.

By droopy on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:55 pm:

i just heard about the "save cbgb's" rally going on right now. the lease expires at midnight. at the same time the birthplace of jazz and the cradle of delta blues is under water. this month bluesman little milton, cuban singer ibrahim ferrer, promoter esther wong (the hilly kristal of the west coast), and robert moog have all died. somebody needs to write a blues song - "august killed the music".

evacuees are filtering into the dallas/fort worth area. reunion arena is one big refugee camp.

new orleans coffins are washing ashore on the gulf coast.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

couple questions:

1. is anyone really bothered by the looting? i think its more stupid (unless its food/clothing/meds) than it is disturbing, considering they cant exactly bring this shit to the Astrodome with them.

2. what are other things you could get away with in this type of situation? you could literally get away with murder.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:27 pm:

know what? fuck Cindy Sheehan. she was on CNN today and basically blamed the hurricane on Bush.

Apparently, Bush's EPA no-nos made the hurricane happen, and his lust for oil is what made everyone live in New Orleans and die.

goddamn lame. I had Air America on at like 4am this morning while I was working and she and Randi Rhodes were basically tattering on about the same thing.

anyone who uses the hurricane for politics is on auto-ban

By droopy on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:52 pm:

1. fuck the looters

2. fuck hypothetical questions

3. fuck cindy sheehan

By Antigone on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 01:16 am:

Yeah. If she were a republican, her cohorts would say, "She stays on message. Good for her!" and let her get away with it. Good thing us liberals eat our own.

But I agree now is not the time for political talk. But how about some facts, like "In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the [Army] Corps [of Engineers] said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain..."

By semillama on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 11:05 am:

It's not the hurricane that is the result of a political decision. It's the subsequent flood. The flood could have been prevented. It's clear that Bush slashed the budget for levee repair and improvements in favor of unnecessary tax cuts and his little crusade in the middle east. Gotta have your priorities straight.

I think that it's ok to be pissed at a president who works on his golf swing while people are suffering throught the worst storm to hit the Gulf Coast in decades.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 02:40 pm:

i'm hearing that FEMA is going to call off the rescue becuase its too dangerous..

people are shooting at helicopters. good god.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 03:19 pm:

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 03:26 pm:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 03:45 pm:

mmmmm.... i like the part of that Rude Pundit article about how a president should earn his own wealth, but I dont know about the rest, picking on Bush because he cant really understand. whats he supposed to do? whats he supposed to say?

does he have to fully understand and live their lives before he can say that he understands that people are anxious to get the fuck outta there?

I can see people getting upset about levee budgets, but most of the stuff I'm hearing seems to be really grasping at straws to find a way to bash Bush.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:02 pm:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:02 pm:

that interdictor site is amazing.

makes me think about what would have happened had the Millenium Bug boogeyman had been real.

fuck hypothetical questions? its anything but hypothetical. if you can picture it, its happening

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:07 pm:

the looting has finally moved from just stupid to disturbing to me. i dont have sympathy for the Walmarts and big box stores, its not about the ethics of stealing

its what they're doing to each other now to get this stuff thats done it. lord of the fucking flies.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:13 pm:

some one pointed out something silly yesterday in an email.

it was two pics of people wading through water with food items. one showed two black people and the Yahoo images/AP cited the people in the pic as "looters" where as the other picture, with white people wading through water with some food items said they "found" the items.

mildly interesting for a minute.

the thing is, you could have predicted this. it's one of the poorest major cities in america, with one of the highest crime rates. people who couldnt leave the city because they couldnt afford gas or didnt own a car...they probably didn thave much to lose so looting a store for a pair of sneakers or a loaf of bread.......ain't a stretch.

now shooting at a rescue helicopter or at police or firemen......thats fuckin stupid.

By Nate on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:14 pm:

people need to lay off bush. it's not like he had months of planning ahead of this disaster. i mean, it's no 9/11-- how do you plan a hurricane?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:18 pm:

i saw that, for anyone who wants to see:
    http://yahooracists.ytmnd.com/

the way people are acting is a poverty/desperation/insanity thing, not a race thing. at the same time you are mostly seeing black faces, so for a lot of people the end result is that this is making black people look as bad or worse than the LA riots did.

By droopy on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:18 pm:

are you kidding?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:23 pm:

yeah Nate, I mean, in the time everyone DID have before the hurricane, I saw no push from anyone from any political spectrum do anything, or try to force anyones hand to action, other than asking people to leave.

some people are being really callous about how you shouldnt help people who didnt leave, and if you want to associate that with a Republican "tough shit" mentality and attack that, well go ahead, but blaming Bush specifically? Did the mayor of New Orleans give the president a ring and beg for help before the storm? Did the governor publicly come out with fingers wagging about the lack of help beforehand?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:26 pm:

"are you kidding?"

no. anyone who is borderline or outright racist is pointing at this thing going "SEE? SEE?"..

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:29 pm:

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:40 pm:

not the point, nate. it took him 3 days to make an appearance in any management capacity. they knew this thing was coming for at least 3 days. i'm kind of a hurricane geek and i watched the whole progress of the storm. it was not a surprise. two days before the thing made landfall, the nhc was warning about unprecedented destruction the likes of which haven't been seen in this country. they rarely editorialize like that in their forecasts. fema could have staged rescue provisions so that they arrived a day later. we're talking about the united states govt, which bush manages. if it were important enough to warrant an adequate and timely response, it would be happening before our eyes. bush could have made it happen had he been willing to engage himself in his fucking job of running the country. shit man, do you not think that clinton would have been all over this? or gore? kerry?

no, he didn't cause it. he may have made it worse with his budgeting but that's conjecture and monday morning quarterbacking.

his failure is one of having to be dragged by his ear back to washington to address this disaster.

fuck bush.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:57 pm:

i may be stepping out on a limb here but what the hell...
    i'd dare say the majority of the poor in New Orleans are black. Most of the people who couldnt leave the city were comprised of the poor. do the fucking math.

I just heard some random official basically chide those who disregarded the call to evacuate. now while many were dumber than sin not to heed that warning, the very fact is, many COULDN'T leave. Did the city organize city buses to drop zones outside the city for the poor and those who couldn't afford to leave? those who didnt have a car? no. so hearing some asshole chide the general public via a radio talk show about how they should heeded the warnings and now are paying the price. you wanna fucking slap him.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

oh and, fuck bush.

asshole.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 05:15 pm:

and regarding whether or not the governers called beforehand to ask for resources, i think that if he gave even a tiny smudge of shit, he would have called them offering support. before it hit.

i've had good managers and bad managers. the good ones proactively recognize when help may be needed and offer support. the bad ones have to be asked.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 05:21 pm:

finally, if bush had engaged himself in an effective manner before and after katrina, he could have come out of this all sparkly and renewed. instead, he once again demonstrates what a miserable failure he really is at doing anything but appeasing his base.

not my president. you can have him, rowlfe.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 05:23 pm:

how many people truly believed the hype though?
    when CNN is sending Anderson Cooper to hang out downtown and run back and forth to look at debris, how is that going to a) convince people to leave and b) convince people outside the sitaution that its a major catastrophe?

while CNN and FOX adn the other cable stations were covering this nonstop, the regular networks stayed on regular programming...

i'm not saying Bush didn't have the tools to find this stuff out, but I think the people around him are supposedly smart enough that they would have forced him to get on the phone beforehand.. do we know for sure they didn't?

"i may be stepping out on a limb here but what the hell...
    i'd dare say the majority of the poor in New Orleans are black. Most of the people who couldnt leave the city were comprised of the poor. do the fucking math. "

precisely. but this isnt stopping dumbass radio show hosts from showing a lack of sympathy to those who didn't leave. they tell everyone that the people who didn't leave are just plain stupid, and then everyone sees that all the people on TV are black...

By Rowlfe on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 05:42 pm:

I'm not saying he's done a GOOD job, I'm saying people are assuming too much and playing the 'what if' game too much. You know I'm against the war, but like... bringing up how the troops could be helping if they werent overseas, what good does this do for anyone right now?
    if everyone immediately jumps at his throat about this, of course he's only going to end up playing to his base, relying on the platitudes, "say a prayer", "we will overcome", "this great nation", etc..

you don't think with the rut he's already in politically he (either by his own accord or by his advisors) wouldnt jump at the opportunity to be the hero? To me what he did/how he budgeted things before isnt anywhere near as important as how he handles things from here on forward.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 05:47 pm:

from what i heard rowlf, the 24 hours prior to landfall, the local networks were saying nicely "get the fuck out because we're shutting this bitch down". that the seriousness of the warnings were unprecedented.

i also heard an account of an individual, a nola highschool teacher that gave what little money he had to some parents of his students so they could buy gas to leave.

like the pundit says "that ounce of prevention will cost far, far less than the cure"

of course hindsight is always 20/20.

that aside. some people just couldnt leave. not because they wanted to.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 06:03 pm:

i know you're not a fan, rowlfe. i just think you're giving him more leeway than he deserves. hell, canada is trying to help and are simply unable to engage this government. is that bush's fault? i dunno, but a serious president, when faced with a national emergency, would make the right things happen. that's why they declare emergencies. to cut through the bureacracy, make things happen immediately and deal with the accounting later.

By patrick on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

i think im just sure i want to own a firearm now. a firearm and plenty of ammo. ive got someone else to protect. one giangantic quake and were all fighting for water.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 09:28 pm:

stirling newberry's imaginary presidential response.

it's not perfect but, y'know, is it really that hard to be a leader? who the hell is sterling newberry other than a smart feller?

i'd be willing to bet that bush's deplorable response yesterday was drafted without any of his own input and that he merely read it. i can just hear him yelling, "just fucking write something so i can go out there and make my statement! tired of this shit!"

fuck bush.

By dave. on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 10:37 pm:

here's another.

http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/9/1/123536/7907

there are so so many people saying exactly what i said up there. i never got any memo. it's merely ironic that wes clark's editorial is on talking points memo. it's obvious to anyone not blinded by faith-based politics.

worst president ever.

By Antigone on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 12:04 am:

The Bush administration cut funding for Lake Pontchartrain levee construction to 1/5th of it's previous value.

What the fuck can you blame him for, if not the actions of his administration? Isn't he, like, the Chief Executive? Doesn't that mean that he's responsible?

You're just trolling, Nate. Either that or you've finally gone batshit crazy.

By Antigone on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 12:26 am:

Can we blame Bush for what he says?

"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."

His own FEMA team anticipated it. We know his administration's response to that.

Folks have known it could happen for years.

And still he says this shit?

By Antigone on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 12:36 am:

By droopy on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 12:42 am:

the "are you kidding?" was to nate, rowlfe.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 01:19 am:

the bankruptcy thing is something to really be concerned about

maybe right now I just can't accept he could be so unconcerned about his own citizens.

to me this thing is so big, and its only a few days in. so I dont see why people expect, well, frankly, competence. I dont understand what 'leadership' means to you in dealing with something like this. so Clinton or Gore or Kerry might look more like a statesman in the public, but how much does that really mean? if Bush had an amazing speech would that make you think things were running smoother behind the scenes?

in one sentence, to me when theres a tragedy like this at this stage what people did in the past is nowhere near as important as what they intend to do about it. i could very well be joining you in the fray a couple weeks from now, i just think any leader dealing with this deserves some stay of execution.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 01:20 am:

that wasn't a sentence, me.

By Nate on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 11:23 am:

what the fuck numbnuts. that post didn't come off sarcastic? i was poking at bush implying he had planned 9/11.

"Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S. we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."

i need to go practice my french.

By droopy on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 11:42 am:

if you mean me, don't worry about, nate. it was supposed to be mock shock. one of those things you post without thinking twice.

i've already discovered that i'll never be able to speak french. i'm thinking about a small hut in patagonia.

By patrick on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 12:33 pm:

i found myself yelling at the radio this morning as they covered dickweed's turn of posture from "we're doing the best we can" to "we're not doing enough and how dare this so called federal response be so lacking!"

asshole.

he's totally irrelavent. completely fucking lame duck. useless and moot. the lack of sincerity and conviction in this individual who cites conviction as a cornerstone of our country is just nauseating. what i dont get is how anyone elese doesnt see right through it.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

if Bush is going to make the turn and just start blaming people, forget it. doors open to rip him apart.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 08:09 pm:

By dave. on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 10:20 pm:

By Daniel SSSS on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

Nate I agree with you on this: Bush didn't have the lead time he did with 9/11, since no doubt he was in on the palnning. I just didn't think that the governement would be able to manipulate mother nature this way. But he did cut funding, as everybody else did. NOLA has been anticipating this disaster for decades; race and poverty are unfortunate bedfellows but nonethless the pawns of big oil and big government. Having said that, I am going to load the guns now and await my visit from the MIB. I am a trained CISD and feel that the displaced now streaming into my neck of the woods will need more than CSID help. They need water, Patrick, just as you say, food, adequate shelter... all of which should have been at the ready given the warnings; all of which form the breeding space for anarchist with little guns; all of which might have been given on buses at the ready in the previous weekend. It was not like no one expected this to happen. But oh well, the distinction between poor and wealthy has ALWAYS been fueled by racism in this country, from the very beginning. I am surprised no small pax infested blankets have been given out. I was just in NOLA teaching peace and building a labyrinth for meditation. I felt the discontent then, as now, permeating the www we share.

Has anyone heard of Czarina's plight? I can't seem to find her.

And if she or any one displaced by the storm reads this, needs a safe place to stay, I have food, swimming pool, extra beds, and a prayer circle in the middle of the woods. Oh, and guns.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 10:45 pm:

Hey I just read the rest of this thread so I am so relieved that Czarina Romanoff and her animals have survived. I should read the whole thread before posting.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 10:45 pm:

the way the media is treating the Nagin interview is disgusting. That interview deserves to be replayed in full on TV, but instead its 3 seconds of "OMG he said 'goddamn' . he's clearly insane."

so many people in the media are pissed off becuase theres "no Giuliani" in Louisiana. theres no good reason to be comparising this to 9/11, for the people directly affected by this, it is way different.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 12:44 am:

By Nate on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 01:42 am:

I read an interesting point of view somewhere today: Who's going to invest, who's going to lend, who's going to insure the rebuilding of a city 6 feet under sea level?

New Orleans is gone.

By dave. on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 03:20 am:

i was thinking of the giuliani/nagin comparison earlier and there really is no comparison beyond "mayor of major city experiencing a catastrophe". 9-11 was relatively isolated and confined to about 2 square miles. new orleans and surrounding areas are several 10s of square miles. maybe if new york were struck by a much smaller version of something like this, giuliani would have been rendered as helpless as nagin.

By dave. on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 03:29 am:

THE PRESIDENTIAL PRAYER TEAM FOR KIDS

PRESIDENTIAL PRAYER REQUESTS FOR SEPTEMBER 2, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.pptkids.org/?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey PPT Kids! This has been an incredible week for America. The Gulf Coast of our cou Hey PPT Kids! This has been an incredible week for America. The Gulf Coast of our country has been hit by a fierce hurricane, and as you know, many, many people have been left homeless. Many have been evacuated and there are still all kinds of needs to be met. Most experts are saying that we've never experienced anything like this. While many people have been helped, there are still hundreds, if not thousands, who need all kinds of help.

It might be tempting to look at the news and think about what's happened and be discouraged. It is very sad to see people suffering. But as kids who pray, we have a source of strength and hope in our mighty God. It's definitely okay to feel sad for the people who are suffering and going through so much. But the very best thing we can do is to pray. And get others to pray. We can also give to relief groups who are on the ground helping--groups like the Salvation Army are great because they bring the Good News of Jesus right along with food and water and other kinds of help.

So please, set aside some special time to pray for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. And think about getting other kids to pray--maybe at your home or your church or school. If you want more helpful information, visit our other website,www.presidentialprayerteam.org. And remember that our God has answers and help that we can't even begin to comprehend, because He is the mighty God, our Lord and Provider!

Because we've had so much extra going on with Hurricane Katrina this week, we won't be providing a special edition of The Presidential Prayer Team for Kids this week. So watch for another great edition of the Update next week.

We do want to tell you about the special resources we have for you and others as you pray. Be sure to tell your mom or dad about these resources and then check them out.

1. Ways to pray:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/editor/20050901-s2.php?

2. Specific prayer requests:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/editor/20050901a.php?

3. Great Scriptures on prayer:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/200edition/200Great_Scriptures_on_Prayer.php?

4. Post a prayer request:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.net/comments/comments.php?

Fill your heart with love and hope for those who are suffering from Hurricane Katrina, and remember to keep on praying! Our country has been hit by a fierce hurricane, and as you know, many, many people have been left homeless. Many have been evacuated and there are still all kinds of needs to be met. Most experts are saying that we've never experienced anything like this. While many people have been helped, there are still hundreds, if not thousands, who need all kinds of help.

It might be tempting to look at the news and think about what's happened and be discouraged. It is very sad to see people suffering. But as kids who pray, we have a source of strength and hope in our mighty God. It's definitely okay to feel sad for the people who are suffering and going through so much. But the very best thing we can do is to pray. And get others to pray. We can also give to relief groups who are on the ground helping--groups like the Salvation Army are great because they bring the Good News of Jesus right along with food and water and other kinds of help.

So please, set aside some special time to pray for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. And think about getting other kids to pray--maybe at your home or your church or school. If you want more helpful information, visit our other website,www.presidentialprayerteam.org. And remember that our God has answers and help that we can't even begin to comprehend, because He is the mighty God, our Lord and Provider!

Because we've had so much extra going on with Hurricane Katrina this week, we won't be providing a special edition of The Presidential Prayer Team for Kids this week. So watch for another great edition of the Update next week.

We do want to tell you about the special resources we have for you and others as you pray. Be sure to tell your mom or dad about these resources and then check them out.

5. Ways to pray:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/editor/20050901-s2.php?

6. Specific prayer requests:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/editor/20050901a.php?

7. Great Scriptures on prayer:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/200edition/200-Great_Scriptures_on_Prayer.php?

8. Post a prayer request:
    http://www.presidentialprayerteam.net/comments/comments.php?

Fill your heart with love and hope for those who are suffering from Hurricane Katrina, and remember to keep on praying!

--Your PPK Editor

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 03:31 am:

By droopy on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 03:44 am:

i met a woman from new orleans on the bus today. the was looking for a job. a lot the evacuees (or refugees) who made it to dallas and fort worth aren't just waiting it out until they can go back to louisiana, they're planning to stay here. one guy was quoted as saying "i love new orleans, but they're going to bury me in dallas." for a lot of them, new orleans has been erased. that's what makes me think new orleans may actually be gone.

i've finished my entire bottle of hungarian wine.

you know, i'm more than just pissed by all this, more than sad. I'm completely bitch-slapped by the past several days. it's good to see there are calm, rational people like y'all around.

By Antigone on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 10:19 am:

I'm hoping there are enough calm rational folks out there who will now say, "I'm not putting up with this bullshit any longer."

Remember New Orleans.

By Dani on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 10:50 am:

5 days before food, water, medicine, and Bush showed up in New Orleans.

Fuck Bush.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 12:18 pm:

Some "looting" vs. "finding" answers found

Salon editorial fellow Aaron Kinney takes another look at the "looting" in New Orleans.

At least one aspect of the racially tinged media coverage of looting in New Orleans has become clearer. Chris Graythen, a freelance photographer for Getty Images, explained in a post to an online photographers’ forum why two white people were described in the caption of one of his images as having "found" items from a grocery store in the flooded city.

Graythen’s image of the white couple caused a stir this week when it was juxtaposed on Yahoo News with a similar photo of a black man who was described in that caption as having "looted" a store. In a post to SportShooter.com Wednesday evening, Graythen angrily defended his choice of words, saying that he saw the couple, who were captured wading through chest-deep water, in the vicinity of a flooded grocery store. "[T]here were other people in the water, both white and black," Graythen wrote. "I looked for the best picture. There were a million items floating in the water -- we were right near a grocery store that had 5-plus feet of water in it. It had no doors. The water was moving, and the stuff was floating away."

The photographer who took the other controversial shot, Dave Martin of the Associated Press, said he saw the person in his photograph and others loot an abandoned grocery store, AP representatives told Salon.

But the "looting-finding" drama promises to be the beginning, not the end, of racial controversies stemming from the flood of New Orleans. Most of the people who were left behind in the city were poor black residents without the means to escape. And though blacks aren’t the only ones who have taken advantage of abandoned stores, they’re the ones featured in repeated video loops on television news coverage. Given calls by Fox News host Bill O’Reilly and others for looters to be shot on sight, it’s no wonder that racial tensions are flaring.

President Bush exhibited his fundamental ignorance of what was happening in New Orleans when he told ABC’s Diane Sawyer Wednesday morning that he supported a "zero-tolerance" policy for looters, even for those merely seeking food and water. White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan reiterated that stance on Thursday. "We understand the need for food and water and supplies of that nature," McClellan said. "That's why we have a massive effort underway to continue getting food and water and ice to those who are in need. There are ways for them to get that help. Looting is not the way for them to do it."

Let’s pose a hypothetical: A man searching for water for his wife and child, both suffering from heat exhaustion up on the freeway, comes across an abandoned grocery store, where he can grab a couple bottles of water and a bag of potato chips. He’s supposed to wait a couple more days until the National Guard arrives?

Some in the news media have not made it clear enough that there are three types of “looters” in New Orleans. First, there are those obtaining items like food, drink and clothing that are critical to their survival. These are not looters at all. They are human beings with functioning survival instincts. Second, there are the people walking out of stores like Wal-Mart with televisions and other non-essential goods. They are opportunists and looters, but given the devastation in New Orleans, they’re not even worth a second thought. Third, there are the people who are roaming the streets with guns and terrorizing and robbing other needy citizens. These are criminals, and they should be met with force.

It’s time to put the looting issue to bed. New Orleans is a disaster area, and people who were taking food and water before the government showed up with relief were perfectly justified. If the slums of New Orleans had been filled with white people, they would have done the exact same thing.

By Daniel ssss on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 01:33 pm:

I agree with Dani...and the Rowlfe tri parte looter survivalist distinctions.

Bush ought to spend the night on I-10, or shit in a box in the dome; thanks for the thought. Why are the troops guarding Harrah's casino? instead of evacuating the mass of humanity from the striken city "refugee" drop points. Dropping cases of water out of helicopters onto pavement where only the brazen and armed can actually get them seems the height of stupidity. Dropping "rescued victims" at the side of a highway with no where to go and no help and nothing awaiting them -- and letting them die in the heat for two or three days -- this is genocide. Where are the tent cities we threw up in other countries' disasters? Why not within our own borders.

And with Bush and Cheney profiteering at the gas pumps, there might be ancharists lurking in corners of every municipality just a-awaiting the chance.

What bullshit.

No takers on the free room and board as yet. Any one who is an A&D counselor CSAC or such, there's a job here too. I made extra potato salad just in case.

By semillama on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 02:41 pm:

Northern Command in Denver is who is supposed to coordinate teh
    NG troop response. They were ready to go, but were waiting for
    authorization from the White House. They could have been
    authorized from day 1.

also. Al Gore took a freakin' JET to LA and is bringing back critically
    ill people to TN for treatment. How many people is Bush bringing
    back?

At least the press corps finally found their spine. God help me, they
    better get the reins in their teeth and run like crazy with this.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 04:03 pm:

By Rowlfe on Saturday, September 3, 2005 - 08:26 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 03:10 am:

By agatha on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 06:59 pm:

For anyone looking to donate to a worthy organization- this is from my RadicalRef listserv. My inbox has been inundated with requests for donations, and I have had a hard time deciding what organization to choose. This one caught my attention moreso than the rest, so my money will be going here:

Marylee Orr, director of the Louisiana Environmental Action Network--a coalition of over 100 grassroots citizens groups throughout the now devastated state of Louisiana. I got to know her on the Department of Environmental Studies' field studies trip to Louisiana last March when 13 of our students got up close and personal with environmental justice issues in "Cancer Alley." Marylee helped our students out a lot during our trip and I have been fast friends with her ever since.

Here is why I love her. Marylee hasn't been up late every night out for the last week out of aimless worry about the many victims and the environmental tragedy left in the wake of the hurricane and official mismanagement of both the disaster prevention and response efforts. She's been up late because she is working hard to do something about the situation. As she told me on the phone on Friday afternoon, the federal government is not really on the ground doing much yet and, in some of the hard hit parishes in the state, even the Red Cross is not much of a presence yet. In the time honored tradition of grassroots citizenship for the common good, this gutsy woman is using the local contacts with grassroots activists, local officials, and Louisiana faith communities she has built up over 20 years to help close the dramatic gap between the intense need of the people of the Louisiana and the official response so far.

Just this Thurday, LEAN members provided an airdrop of food, water, and medical supplies to the trapped residents of St. Bernard and Plaquemine Parishes, two of the most inundated areas in the state. Saturday, LEAN dropped more supplies for stranded people in Washington Parish. LEAN is also working hard now to raise more funds to allow local people, working with local government leaders to provide direct, immediate assistance with all the efficiency that comes from not being a bureaucrat or an outsider. I've already made a contribution to the Red Cross to offer some assistance to the hurricane victims in Louisiana, but I've decided to write a check for ten times that amount to the Louisiana Environmental Action Network in order to support people that I know have both the big hearts and the local knowledge needed to help meet the crying humanitarian needs in Louisiana. I also know that LEAN won't just leave the area when the immediate crisis is over. LEAN will also work to address the toxic cesspool and chemical contamination that will be left behind when the water finally recedes. I’m asking everyone I know to join me in contributing money directly to LEAN for their local efforts in disaster relief. Every penny will be used well. I would trust Marylee with my life and I know her effort will save lives. Please dig deep and give as much as you can to: LEAN, 162 Craydon Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA 70806.

At the very end of our phone call on Friday, Marylee thanked me for pledging money and for my offer to encourage other folks to contribute to LEAN's disaster relief efforts, but she also asked for one more thing. She said, "We need financial contributions from all our friends around the country for sure, but we could also really use your prayers. It means so much to know that people around the country care." For people who want to send good wishes as well as their checks, please write to Marylee's group at lean@leanweb.org. She likely won't have time to write back, but it will mean a lot to this hard working, non-sleeping group of local heros to know that our hearts and prayers are with them.

Below is an email I received from Marylee after our phone call.
    Best,
    Steve

===================
    September 2, 2005

Dear Friends of Louisiana,

Due to the catastrophic event of Hurricane Katrina there is an enormous need for life-saving and life-sustaining supplies. At this time, the most needed items are tetanus shots, insulin, IV fluids, as well as financial resources to purchase and transport medical and food assistance directly to victims.

Louisiana Environmental Action Network (LEAN) is working closely with the Office of Representative Brasso of St. Bernard Parish. Our contributions are being immediately given to the residents of St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes, two of the most inundated areas. LEAN feels that by working directly with the parish representatives we are best able to assist in meeting the critical needs of these victims and addressing the crisis in our communities.

The situation in Louisiana is heartbreaking and we hope that by working together we can help save lives and improve the lives of those who have survived this disaster. We would appreciate donations of medical supplies, food and water, or funds to purchase these supplies. For example, yesterday, September 1, 2005, we purchased medical supplies such as aspirin, neosporin, syringes, hand sanitizer, gloves, tylenol, bandages, and so forth. These supplies were directly air dropped down today on September 2, 2005, to people stuck in St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parish.

We can not thank you enough for caring about what is going on in our region. Your prayers and support are greatly appreciated. Words can not describe the suffering and courage of the people here. Please help us help our neighbors in our home state. May God bless you for all your support, concern and prayers during this tragic time.

With warmest regards,

Marylee Orr
    Executive Director
    Louisiana Environmental Action Network
    162 Croydon Ave
    Baton Rouge, La. 70806

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 02:37 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 03:45 am:

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 01:36 pm:

By dave. on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 01:09 am:

By wisper on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 11:48 am:

"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE CLOUD PATTERN ASSOCIATED WITH NATE HAS CONTINUED TO BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED WITH DEEP CONVECTION HAS DEVELOPED NEAR THE CENTER WITH EXCELLENT OUTFLOW IN ALL QUADRANTS."

....hot.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 12:40 pm:

Agatha, thanks for the info. Is the donation button on leanweb.org the best way to get the money to them?

By semillama on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 05:56 pm:

"AN UPPER-LEVEL ANTICYCLONE IS WELL-ESTABLISHED
    DIRECTLY OVER NATE..."

By droopy on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 06:39 pm:

"NATE REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY...CAUGHT BETWEEN THE MID-LEVEL CIRCULATIONS OF MARIA..."

oh yeah.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 08:54 pm:

Tbone- I just emailed the woman that sent me that and asked her what is preferable. I'll let you know what she says...

By platypus on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 - 10:42 pm:

FYI, for those of you also concerned about animals, it looks like the rescue effort in New Orleans has begun in earnest as of today, although the National Guard are still keeping rescuers out of some areas. They've been working in Miss. for over a week now. I love that something like 98% of the animals that made it out were smuggled in collusion with rescue bus-drivers (who weren't supposed to allow animals on board). I've also heard rumours that there's a shoot to kill order for loose animals, although I haven't been able to confirm that. That does concern me (and I have to wonder...if this was a whiter, richer city, if the National Guard would be willing to shoot peoples' pets...)

I would recommend donating to either the Humane Society of the United States here, IFAW, or American Humane, all of whom are getting in as fast as they can with food, vet services, and shelter.

By agatha on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 12:11 am:

Here's what she said, Tbone...
    "
    I'd put a check in the mail. Telecommunications to La. still seem iffy."

For animals, EARS is also a good choice. They are working with IFAW and United Animal Nations...

http://www.uan.org/news/083105.html

http://www.uan.org/ears/index.html

They are also looking for foster homes anywhere, and are transporting the animals wherever they need to go for foster care.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 03:45 am:

hehehe you guys gotta check out newsmax... simultanously running with the 'dont politicize' whilst they follow the new talking points of putting all the blame on the local officials

By platypus on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 09:11 pm:

I wonder if anyone has set up a frequent flyer miles donation system. I know that people have done that in the past, and I know I'm now the only one sitting on miles I won't be able to use before expiration.

By droopy on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

There are about 3000 Katrina evacuees here in Tarrant County, now. The money I give has been going to them. 21 of them are 15 cats and 6 dogs from Gulfport, Mississippi...so let me know if anybody wants a pet.

help disabled evacuees

By patrick on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

"NATE CONTINUES TO HAVE A RAGGED EYE SURROUNDED BY A RING OF DEEP CONVECTION."

here's to your ring nate. get better!

By patrick on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 12:30 pm:

"It’s one thing to be horrified by the suffering in New Orleans and send off a check to the Red Cross (Americans are not ungenerous, especially in a crisis), but quite another to recognize that many of the causes of the catastrophe — the existence of a huge permanent underclass, the ongoing degradation of our coastlines, the choice to cut taxes rather than maintain our nation’s infrastructure — are a widely accepted part of life in today’s United States. They’ve become normal."

More from this tremendous editorial here.
    http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/42/on-powers.php

By semillama on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 10:09 pm:

"Go Fuck yourself, Mr. Cheney, go fuck yourself."

By dave. on Thursday, September 8, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

NATE IS LIKELY PEAKING AND SHOULD BEGIN TO GRADUALLY
    WEAKEN LATER TONIGHT OR FRIDAY.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 12:48 am:

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 03:13 pm:

Well, I guess "Brownie" wasnt doing a heck of a job after all....

this is crazy:
    The Army are recruiting Hurricane victims at the Astrodome

from the Wall Street Journal

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: Ten U.S. Army recruiters are offering volunteer help for Katrina vicitms at Houston's Astrodome. But the recruiters, struggling to keep enlistment up during Iraq war, are also available with options for the jobless. "Our intent is to approach the evacuees at the right time for them,'' says Army spokesman Douglas Smith.

By Rowlfe on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 03:56 pm:

By J on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

By Antigone on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:14 pm:

Got a link on that army recruiters story, Rowlfe?

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:49 pm:

its from the WSJ page. I think I didn't post it because registration is required. you can't BugMeNot your way out of it.

I don't think there was any more to the story than what I cut/paste here, it was one of those "in brief" items I think.

By jack on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 07:59 pm:

yes, it was part of the "Washington Wire" column.
    the entire column:

WASHINGTON WIRE
    Louisiana Lawmakers Aim
    To Cope With Political Fallout

By JOHN HARWOOD
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    September 9, 2005; Page A4

LOUISIANA LAWMAKERS aim to cope with political fallout.

Sen. Landrieu, in spotlight now, could find margins squeezed if thousands of Democratic-leaning African-Americans don't return by her 2008 re-election. Louisiana political analyst John Maginnis says state could even lose one of seven House seats in next redistricting.

Two shaky House incumbents, Democrat Melancon and Republican Boustany, hope response to hurricane rallies voters behind them. House Republican campaign chief Reynolds touts chance to market conservative social-policy solutions; Rep. Baker of Baton Rouge is overheard telling lobbyists: "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did."

Baker explains later he didn't intend flippancy but has long wanted to improve low-income housing.

KATRINA ROILS trade debate over shrimp tariffs.

The U.S. International Trade Commission next week considers whether shrimpers from India and Thailand, saddled with tariffs after complaints of unfair competition from domestic producers, still pose a threat. Last winter's tsunami has fueled calls for lifting the levies.

But now the hurricane has given the U.S. industry a new argument for retaining tariff protection: An estimated 40% of domestic shrimpers and processors suffered some Katrina damage. "It's going to take awhile for that to recover," says Sal Versaggi of the eight-state Southern Shrimp Alliance.

SPOTLIGHT ON POOR increases opposition to planned Medicaid cuts.

A bipartisan group of senators urges Finance Chairman Grassley to delay slicing $10 billion from Medicaid and other entitlement programs serving many of those displaced by Katrina. "We must remain focused on the relief efforts and ways to deliver both short- and long-term aid," write Republicans Smith and Snowe, joined by Democrats Bingaman and Lincoln.

Administration officials mull ways to deliver more Medicaid funds to states such as Texas where rolls will swell; House Democrats urge HHS Secretary Leavitt to assume all costs of the state-federal program in affected areas. But conservatives like Rep. Barton of Texas warn Katrina shouldn't become an excuse to block Medicaid overhaul.

"Let me repeat, so that everybody hears me -- evacuees from Hurricane Katrina would not be hurt!" he says.

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: Ten U.S. Army recruiters are offering volunteer help for Katrina evacuees at Houston's Astrodome. But the recruiters, struggling to keep enlistment up during Iraq war, are also available with options for the jobless. "Our intent is to approach the evacuees at the right time for them,'' says Army spokesman Douglas Smith.

PR BONANZA? U.S. adversaries draw wide attention by joining international effort to offer help with Katrina relief. The Bush administration rebuffs Iran's conditional offer of 20 million barrels of oil while remaining mum on Cuba's pitch to send 1,500 doctors and nurses. Venezuela's Chávez, deriding Bush as "king of vacations," mixes offers of aid workers with oil shipments.

DUELING CAUSES? Grass-roots charities sending items to troops in Iraq worry they'll lose out to Katrina relief. "It will be even harder to ask and receive donations when there are so many needing help," says Connie Riecke of the Oregon-based Marine Corps Family Foundation.

FAMILY TIES: Bush's Katrina performance draws fire, but Texas universities eagerly compete for his presidential library in bid process ending next week. Contenders include University of Texas, which has the LBJ library; Southern Methodist, Laura Bush's alma mater; and Baylor, near the Crawford ranch. Library executives say bidders must accommodate "an institute inspired by the principles of George W. Bush's administration," a museum, a cafe and gift shop.

NEW FEMINISM: Conservatives tout female court pick to block Gonzales.

Right rallies around antiabortion appeals-court judges, including Edith Jones and Priscilla Owen; Janice Rogers Brown, an African-American, would meet post-Katrina calls for Bush to appoint a minority. All are seen as more conservative than Attorney General Gonzales, who'd be the first Hispanic pick.

Some close to White House predict Bush won't announce O'Connor's successor until Roberts clears Senate Judiciary Committee. Meanwhile, liberals battle for seats in next week's Judiciary hearings, but find themselves outnumbered by Roberts backers.

The hearing will "look like a Republican town hall meeting," one activist grumbles.

MINOR MEMOS: Trial lawyers' association calls on Republican Rep. Pryce to "stop scaring volunteers" after she says some would-be aid workers feared lawsuits. ... Tom Gallagher of ISI Group says posthurricane congressional spending makes it "Katrina Bar the Door" on fiscal policy.

Write to John Harwood at john.harwood@wsj.com

By Picofar on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:00 pm:

The mayor of New Orleans should be named ISMAY.
    Ref. Titanic.
    Chief Compass just alibied on 60 Minutes that HE left town to take his son to college at Texas A&M.
    Schoolyear started 8/29 eh Chief?
    Police chief analagous to captain of ship who tells crew to flee for their lives leaving the passengers with no lifeboats.

Mayor Nagin de-mobilized the NOPD prior to storm then expected them to return to the anarchic situation that ensued and was certainly forseeable in the abscence of any law enforcement on the ground.
    Forty out of 1700 stayed behind to loot. I saw it with my own eyes.

By p on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:11 pm:

p.s.

Nagin was missing and invisible to his citizenry first 2 days post storm.
    Then he came out of hiding to bitch about Bush who he should have known only does one event per week when he's on vacation.
    8/26 Bush was at the Little League World Series.
    The next Friday the Shrub finally made it to the disaster zone.

By Benoit on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:44 pm:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 09:44 pm:

HAHAHAHA PWNED by Benoit

"Schoolyear started 8/29 eh Chief?"
    My sister left for her school even earlier than that.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 09:45 pm:

By dave. on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 11:11 pm:

glad you're safe enough to post, pf.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:01 am:

By patrick on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:38 pm:

didnt Nagin make a significant impact against NOPD corruption by allowing NOPD to hire cops who didnt live in NOLA? Up until recent years, officers had to live within city limits, severely limiting the quality of cops they could hire?

From I heard, directly and from people I know who have lived in NOLA with Nagin as mayor, Nagin is a mouthpiece, but if there ever was a time to be a mouthpiece lighting rod....

By Dougie on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:34 pm:

Shit Patty, you got power out there?

By dave. on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:20 am:

copied from dailykos

Bill Maher put it very well on HBO the other night:

"Mr. President, this job can't be fun for you any more. There's no more money to spend--you used up all of that.

You can't start another war because you used up the army. And now, darn the luck, the rest of your term has become the Bush family nightmare: helping poor people.

Listen to your Mom. The cupboard's bare, the credit cards maxed out. No one's speaking to you. Mission accomplished.

"Now it's time to do what you've always done best: lose interest and walk away. Like you did with your military service and the oil company and the baseball team. It's time. Time to move on and try the next fantasy job. How about cowboy or space man?

Now I know what you're saying: there's so many other things that you as President could involve yourself in. Please don't.

I know, I know. There's a lot left to do. There's a war with Venezuela. Eliminating the sales tax on yachts. Turning the space program over to the church. And Social Security to Fannie Mae. Giving embryos the vote.

"But, Sir, none of that is going to happen now. Why? Because you govern like Billy Joel drives.

You've performed so poorly I'm surprised that you haven't given yourself a medal.

You're a catastrophe that walks like a man. Herbert Hoover was a shitty president, but even he never conceded an entire city to rising water and snakes.

"On your watch, we've lost almost all of our allies, the surplus, four airliners, two trade centers, a piece of the Pentagon and the City of New Orleans. Maybe you're just not lucky. I'm not saying you don't love this country. I'm just wondering how much worse it could be if you were on the other side.

"So, yes, God does speak to you. What he is saying is: 'Take a hint.' "

Bill Maher
    HBO-Real Time

By dave on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 12:32 am:

the video.

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Real-Time-George-Must-Go.mov

not having cable, i haven't really watched the daily show or real time aside from the clips like this i get from the net. but is maher trying to challenge stewart and the daily show format? i'm used to seeing him with the panel format, not the late night host emcee format, ala letterman, et al, with the big desk and the monologues.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 01:28 pm:

i dont see it. the link just goes to this blog that i scroll up and down for five minutes looking for a reference with no luck.

the power thing was such a non story. the lights flickered, then office's generators came on.

By dave. on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:44 pm:

By heather on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 03:10 pm:

can we move dc further south? much further?

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:40 pm:

I just did around 600$ in illustrations for the Houston Press. God please spare thy Houston Press building from thar mighty winds.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 01:35 pm:

at least until rowlfe gets paid.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:10 am:

if this goes straight through texas like it seems to be going... the hurricane will be visiting Bush's ranch.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 08:44 am:

Kewl, then Trent Lott can come out to visit Bush and sit on his front porch when the shrub gets his ranch rebuilt.

By droopy on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 01:41 pm:

of course the next stop will be my house. last year about this time there was flooding without the benefit of a hurricane, this time it'll probably really suck.

By dave. on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 04:53 pm:

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE WINDS OF 165 MPH

it won't be that bad for you or prarie chapel ranch, droop. probably 50-60 mph winds and a shitload of rain.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 05:42 pm:

By Antigone on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:42 am:

The only good thing to come out of this will be that my girlfriend's dad's ranch will get rain. It's been fuckin' dry as a bone in Centerville, and Rita ought to head right over there on the way from Houston to Dallas.

By Czarina on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:10 pm:

It unfortunately seems that Rita is now coming my way.Mandatory evacuations in my parish[county].
    I'm on the east side of the storm. I am not comfortable. I sat in a stupor for awhile this morning.Just felt overwhelmed.

Thankfully,my usual resillence re-awoken, and I snapped into action. Got to the store before everything was sold out. And am now relatively stocked up on basic survival goods. Tanked up, x-rta ciggs, animal and people food, and h2o.

For anyone interested, I live in Rayne,La. About 60 miles east of Lake Charles,I'm due north of Vermillion bay.

It now appears the storm will hit between Galveston and Lake Charles,La.Everything is closing here.The roads are highly congested.[not as bad as Texas,yet]

I have to work Friday night.It will not be a pleasant night.We are already at capacity,with the evacuees from Katrin. This patients are EXTREMELY sick, VERY psychotic.Twice this week in 2 seperate incidents, patients attacked and stangled 2 employees. I hope these patients will be evacuated, but hope it will not be my shift that has to go with them.We can barely contain them,even within the locked doors of our facility,and I cannot imagine having to travel on a slow moving bus with them. We do not use restraints, and often are fearful for our and other patients saftey.Many of these patients are from prisons,and we have essentially NO security.Mostly a staff of about 8 females,and if we are lucky,we have 1 or 2 male staff members.

Better go back to my preparations.
    Good luck Droop! I hope it doesn't hit you!

By wisper on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:08 am:

good luck Czarina, hope everything turns out okay :(
    now i'm worried

By patrick on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

hang on czarina. we're collectively thinking of you.

good you got cigs. seems those are currency right after these storms.

From Yahoo/AP news-
    As many as 500,000 people in southwestern Louisiana, many of them already displaced by Hurricane Katrina, were told to evacuate. And for those who refused to leave, Gov. Kathleen Blanco advised: "Perhaps they should write their Social Security numbers on their arms with indelible ink."

What I hear in the governor is "don't make us work any harder than we already are. If you're going to stay in light of this new storm, just climb your the coffin and shut the lid yourself you dumbfucks"

By Czarina on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:25 pm:

I hope she's not right.Sigh

Thanks for the encourgement guys.It helped bolster my spirits.The hardest part is the waiting.

By semillama on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:29 pm:

from dailykos:

Lessons learned from surviving a hurricane...

My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the people in line who helped me push it).

Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller in their hand.

He who has the biggest generator wins.

There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.

TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful.

A 7 lb bag of ice will chill six 12-oz Budweisers to a drinkable temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep a 14 pound turkey frozen for 8 more hours.

There are a lot of damn trees around here.

People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for.

When required, a Lincoln Continental will float; it doesn't steer well, but it floats just the same.

Some things do keep the mailman from his appointed rounds.

27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out!

If I had a store that sold only ice, chain saws, gas and generators...I'd be rich.

Price of peanut butter and bread rises 200% in a storm

MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill?????

The only good thing about not having telephones---you haven't had a call from a telemarketer lately, have you?

Keep safe, czarina!

By Czarina on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:44 pm:

:)

By droopy on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:16 pm:

well, looks like all i'm going to get out of rita is a 40% chance of thunderstorm.

wish you were here, czarina. be safe.

By dave. on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:56 am:

By Budddy Buddy Diliberto on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 01:39 am:

By J on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

Czarina is o.k.,called me yesterday.She's still without power but thank God for their generator.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:47 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

is Rove on crack, or do they just not give a shit anymore?

By looting eye-witnesses who prefer anonymous for now on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:59 pm:

A neighbor had one from a bill collector.

CNN confirms our month-old eye-witnessed looting reports by rogue de-mobilized N.O.P.D. "officers."

According to CNN 10 of them were holed up in a high-rise old folks home downtown.
    They stole a generator from a helipad atop Tulane Hospital to power their beer cooler.
    Tulane confirmed that that' generator was their property and the one that Tulane hospital staff left behind on their roof after their evacuation had been completed so that communications equipment could be re-powered to facilitate and co-ordinate continuing aerial evacuations from Charity Hospital. My friend's sister was stuck in an AIDS ward as a supervising RN with 15 out of 17 patients. For 8 days. Two were evacuated, 15 were left behind without food, water or any night-time illumination except for flashlights. He can't wait to tell her why.

By Another looting eyewitness who prefers to remain anoymous for now on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 01:02 pm:

There is now some momentum toward Bush's impeachment if Jack Abramoff tells all.

By Httpwww.markfiore.comanimationthat.html on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

By dave. on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:07 am:

By semillama on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:42 pm:

my friend Skooter who used to post here JUST moved to Tampa.

By Karla on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 05:48 pm:

Hope he likes it here. He's just in time for "the big one" we've been dodging for decades. And it's due on my 17th wedding anniversary, no less. Of course, that'll be the least of my problems. But then who's to say what'll happen with that high pressure system in the Gulf? That's the problem with hurricanes: by the time you know where they're going, it's too late to leave. At any rate, wish us luck.

By Nate on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:09 am:

this may be the most severe atlantic hurricane on record.

jeb: "why us?"

my advice, read your fucking bible and see if you can't figure it out.

with apologies to all the floridians. stay safe.

By V on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:27 pm:

Nate,hi bro.,v on line,fossil fuel is burning up real fast,America and China are the main contenders,you NEED that diesel from Iraq,Nate,v is switching his cars to propane right now,its half the price you pay at the pump.

By NewOH on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 10:29 pm:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/12/cash.obit/

I hadn't heard. (until today)

The friend told me that Johnny Cash is not on this earth anymore . . . ? I hadn't heard that.!
    Furthermore, they told me about a song written by the fellow that . . sort of Is "Nine Inch Nails" . . . ?
    That there will be a Voodoo festival for the policemen, firemen, civil servants. . . . in Audubon Park. . . only they can attend. . . That's what I heard anyway. This man will be there to play music.

After June Carter Cash died . . . a different manager approached Johnny Cash and wanted him to "get back to his roots" . . . like the ??? album, I can't recall the title. . . I do remember him as "The Man In Black ."
    Here is a link to the Real Player video of Johnny Cash performing this song. "Hurt"
    http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html
    I am sort or blown away by it . . .
    though in the original song it's not "crown of thorns."

"pf"
    --- "Dave" <xxxxxxxx@.com> wrote:
    > This is the Miami Herald piece on what was going on
    > at FEMA while New Orleans drowned and burned. The TP
    > story in today's paper was much longer, but this one
    > gets right to the point.
    >
    >
    > Posted on Fri, Oct. 21, 2005
    >
    > HURRICANE KATRINA AFTERMATH
    > FEMA official rips agency
    >
    > A FEMA official described 'a systematic failure at
    > all levels of government to understand the
    > magnitude' of the problems in New Orleans after
    > Katrina.
    >
    > BY HOPE YEN
    > Associated Press
    >
    > WASHINGTON - In the midst of the chaos that followed
    > Hurricane Katrina, a Federal Emergency Management
    > Agency official in New Orleans sent a dire e-mail to
    > Director Michael Brown saying victims had no food
    > and were dying.
    >
    > No response came from Brown.
    >
    > Instead, less than three hours later, an aide to
    > Brown sent an e-mail saying her boss wanted to go on
    > a television program that night -- after needing at
    > least an hour to eat dinner at a Baton Rouge, La.,
    > restaurant.
    >
    > The e-mails were made public Thursday at a Senate
    > Homeland Security Committee hearing featuring Marty
    > Bahamonde, the first agency official to arrive in
    > New Orleans in advance of the Aug. 29 storm. The
    > hurricane killed more than 1,200 people and forced
    > hundreds of thousands to evacuate.
    >
    > Bahamonde, who sent the e-mail to Brown two days
    > after the storm struck, said the correspondence
    > illustrates the government's failure to grasp what
    > was happening.
    >
    > ''There was a systematic failure at all levels of
    > government to understand the magnitude of the
    > situation,'' Bahamonde testified. ``The leadership
    > from top down in our agency is unprepared and out of
    > touch.''
    >
    > The 19 pages of internal FEMA e-mails show Bahamonde
    > gave regular updates to people in contact with Brown
    > as early as Aug. 28, the day before Katrina made
    > landfall. They appear to contradict Brown, who has
    > said he was not fully aware of the conditions until
    > days after the storm hit. Brown quit after being
    > recalled from New Orleans amid criticism of his
    > work.
    >
    > As Katrina's outer bands began drenching the city
    > Aug. 28, Bahamonde sent an e-mail to Deborah Wing, a
    > FEMA response specialist. He wrote: ``Everyone is
    > soaked. This is going to get ugly real fast.''
    >
    > Subsequent e-mails told of an increasingly desperate
    > situation at the Louisiana Superdome, where tens of
    > thousands of evacuees were staying.
    >
    > On Aug. 31, Bahamonde e-mailed Brown to tell him
    > that thousands of evacuees were gathering in the
    > streets with no food or water and that ``estimates
    > are many will die within hours.''
    >
    > A short time later, Brown's press secretary, Sharon
    > Worthy, wrote colleagues to complain that the FEMA
    > director needed more time to eat dinner at a Baton
    > Rouge restaurant that evening. ''He needs much more
    > that [sic] 20 or 30 minutes,'' Worthy wrote.
    >
    > ''Restaurants are getting busy,'' she said. ``We now
    > have traffic to encounter to go to and from a
    > location of his choise [sic], followed by wait
    > service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc.
    > Thank you.''
    >
    > In an Aug. 29 phone call to Brown informing him that
    > the first levee had failed, Bahamonde said he asked
    > for guidance but did not get a response.
    >
    > 'He just said, `Thank you,' and that he was going to
    > call the White House,'' Bahamonde said.
    >
    >
    >
    > © 2005 Herald.com and wire service sources. All
    > Rights Reserved.
    > http://www.miami.com

By Dave from La. on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 10:38 pm:

There's an article somewhere in today's paper about somebody who found
    a guitar autographed by Johnny Cash in the wreckage of some fast food
    joint on the Gulf Coast somewhere, maybe Biloxi, and it was immediately
    purchased by some Johnny Cash museum somewhere, all very peculiar.

By a resident on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

After the flood, there were Rainbows
    'Flower people' feeding hurricane victims, winning over skeptics
    12:00 AM CDT on Sunday, October 23, 2005
    By ALLEN JOHNSON Jr. / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

MONA REEDER/DMN
    Nobody speaks for the Rainbows, the Rainbow Web site says, including Twilha Deer, whose pantomime and religious dancing provide entertainment outside her group's dining hall for hurricane victims in Waveland, Miss.
    The Rainbows are feeding folks in New Orleans as well.
    Shortly after U.S. Attorney General Al Gonzales announced a crackdown on Hurricane Katrina-related fraud here last week, a small procession of
    stoic federal agents in dark SUVs glided out of the French Quarter.
    Led by a wailing police siren, the convoy curved onto a wide boulevard near Washington Square. A conspicuous sign, posted by a group of colorfully dressed campers in the park, beckoned: "Welcome home New Orleans, Community kitchen, free meals."
    The federal cavalcade pressed on, en route to Mr. Gonzales' scheduled tour of a disaster relief center. Unlike other law enforcement and military
    personnel, the federal agents in New Orleans passed up a hot meal cooked by the Rainbow Family of a Living Light, a unique disaster response
    team on the Gulf Coast.
    A loose-knit network of about 50 long-haired organic apple farmers, medics, midwives and peace activists, members of the Rainbow Family were
    among the first relief groups to reach hard-hit Waveland, Miss., after Katrina struck on Aug. 29, a police spokesman confirmed.
    Operating under colored tents in a parking lot across from the Waveland Police Department, the group cooks and serves three hot meals a day
    to as many as 5,000 people in Waveland. The kitchen in New Orleans, set up about three weeks ago, can serve an estimated 500 people.
    In Mississippi, the Rainbows are gaining a reputation among law enforcement and county officials for hard work and tenacity.
    "They have been here pretty much since the beginning," says Lt. Brett Ladner, patrol commander of the Waveland Police Department and a 20-year veteran of law enforcement.
    "They are flower people, but they are busting their butts," Lt. Ladner says with a chuckle.
    Various church groups and relief organizations have come and gone, Mr. Ladner says. The Rainbows endure, and their tenure has not been without
    hardships.
    "When we pulled into Waveland, there were dead animals in the street,"
    said Felipe Chavez, 67, a long-haired Yaqui native of Arizona and tattooed veteran of the Marine Corps. "There was a big boat right next to the
    kitchen, and we had to move it."
    Rainbows proudly note the food they cook is donated, fresh and often organic. Yet, they cringe at any suggestion they are organized, competitive or otherwise structured. "We're not really an
    organization; we're just people," says Richard Rawski, 49, an organic apple farmer from
    Wisconsin, wearing a bright yellow T-shirt, purple sweatpants and sandals.
    The Rainbow Family itself defies easy description. The group has a Web site (www.welcome home.org), but no leaders or spokesman. The Rainbow Web
    site cautions: "It is a long-standing Rainbow Family consensus that nobody has ever, or ever will, represent the Rainbow Family."
    However, Rainbows acknowledge some common characteristics: They are pro-environment, accept alternative lifestyles, believe in nonviolence and
    worship God, whose definition is left open to interpretation. They advocate health and hygiene.
    Diners are asked to wash their hands in portable foot-pump-operated sinks.
    The Rainbows encourage peaceful dialogue and communal gatherings.
    Their tented dining room in Mississippi – dubbed "The Waveland Cafe" – is an example.
    "It was good to see the police and the firefighters sit down with people
    from the community," says Mr. Chavez.
    Since 1972, Rainbow "tribes" around the country have gathered during the first week of July for prayer meetings and fellowship at various
    national parks.
    "We try to be the true ideal of a hippie," Mr. Rawski says. That ideal includes freedom from material values and a "9-to-5 job.' "
    Mr. Chavez rejects any perception that Rainbows practice "free love."
    "We are not here to fornicate. We are God-loving people," he says. "We are here to serve."
    Near the entrance to the park, the Louisiana state flag hangs next to a rainbow flag of equal size. They are strung together between two crepe
    myrtles. A kitchen wish list is taped across a tree, near the buffet serving tables.
    "I'm very impressed by the whole situation here," says Gwendolyn Ciniard, 55, a New Orleans painter who sells her works on Bourbon Street. "I
    had the chicken and rice and squash and apple. It was good. The pasta I wasn't too happy about."
    She politely adds that New Orleanians are epicurean critics, then sighs wearily.
    "In times like these, it's great to have a little sense of community."
    Allen Johnson Jr. is a freelance writer based in New Orleans.

By Oak Alley and Robert E. Lee on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:47 pm:

By Lee Circe on Wednesday, November 9, 2005 - 04:18 am:

Photo by Cheryl Gerber
    "I'm kind of worried about the future, but I'm optimistic also. You
    have
    to take it one day at a time." -- Gregg Stafford, Central City
    resident,
    leading the Young Tuxedo Brass Band in a recent jazz funeral for
    Katrina
    victims
    It's both rare and inspiring to see people come together to stop
    violence
    -- without police. I saw it happen one night, years ago, in Central
    City,
    one of the city's poorest and toughest neighborhoods. I had just
    picked up
    a first-time visitor to New Orleans at the airport. I decided to take
    a
    shortcut through Central City, an area roughly bounded by Louisiana
    Avenue, Carondelet Street, the Earhart Expressway and South Claiborne
    Avenue.
    I stopped for a red light at the corner of Louisiana Avenue and
    Freret
    Street, across from the Original Brown Derby bar. Suddenly, two men
    in
    white T-shirts burst out of the lounge, shouting and swinging pool
    cue
    sticks at each other. In no time, one man had his stick hard against
    the
    throat of the other man, who was bent over backward -- on the hood of
    my
    car. Five more men rushed out of the bar and struggled to separate
    the two
    fighters.
    Just then, the light turned green. I leaned out the window.
    "I got the light," I said.
    One of the five peacemakers looked at me, then up at the light, then
    back
    at me: "It's cool!" he said, apologetically.
    And it was.
    They hustled the two fighters back into the bar and the door closed
    quietly behind them. It was over in seconds.
    I drove on, full of civic pride at the speedy, peaceful outcome. My
    was stunned, speechless.
    Gregg Stafford -- one of Central City's most accomplished residents
    --
    laughs at my story, clapping his hands.
    "'I got the light!'" repeats Stafford, 53, a nationally known
    musician and
    a math teacher in the Orleans Parish school system. Born and raised
    in the
    Magnolia housing project, he is a trumpet player and leader of the
    generations-old Young Tuxedo Brass Band. He has traveled the world,
    playing with such jazz greats as Art Blakely, Dizzy Gillespie and New
    Orleans' own Dr. Michael White.
    Looking out on a deserted Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard toward the
    Central
    Business District, Stafford admits he is ambivalent about
    post-Katrina
    Central City. "I'm kind of worried about the future, but I'm
    optimistic
    also," says Stafford, who has been laid off from his teaching job
    since
    Katrina. "You have to take it one day at a time."
    Most of Central City did not flood, though there was wind damage and
    some
    businesses were looted. A mandatory evacuation followed. However,
    most of
    the residents of Central City still have not returned since the city
    reopened. Ê
    On a recent Friday afternoon, a brightly colored mural of Dr. Martin
    Luther King had few admirers. Up Oretha Castle Haley, a knot of
    activists
    stood talking outside of the temporarily closed AshŽ Cultural Arts
    Center. A few people darted inside Cafe Reconcile, a popular
    nonprofit
    restaurant that has trained some 300 at-risk youth for culinary jobs
    since
    opening in 2000.
    What makes Central City special is its people and community, Stafford
    says, seated inside the cafe. Michael White sits just a few tables
    away.
    "You have a lot of hard-working people" in Central City whose history
    and
    culture have been overlooked because of public attention to Treme and
    other neighborhoods, pre-Katrina, Stafford says. Central City was
    home to
    music greats Buddy Bolden and Kid Ory, whose homes are unmarked, and
    the
    famous Dew Drop Inn nightclub. In addition to schoolteachers and
    working-class people, numerous Mardi Gras Indians reside in three
    housing
    developments in Central City that have been temporarily closed since
    Katrina amid safety concerns.
    Stafford fears that those folks will not return and that other
    longtime
    residents will be forced out by private landlords seeking higher
    rent.
    "The future depends on the leaders of the city and how they allow
    people
    to come back and not allow gouging by landlords," he says.
    Jobs, education and adequate housing are keys to recovery, Stafford
    says.
    To keep drugs and crime from making a comeback, he says, discipline
    must
    be restored to the police department, which has been beseiged by
    investigations of alleged brutality and corruption in the wake of
    Katrina.
    Others who work in Central City say the neighborhood's future will
    hinge
    on community effort and the characteristic resilience of its
    residents.
    Craig Cuccia, executive director of Cafe Reconcile, says leadership
    of the
    neighborhood has typically come from City Hall. "However, (Katrina)
    is
    going to be the event that helps real leadership emerge," Cuccia
    predicts.
    Pre-Katrina, area merchants were developing the neighborhood as a
    cultural
    tourism district, an alternative to the French Quarter. Today, Cuccia
    says, "[Central City] is the land of opportunity all over again. It
    will
    depend on entrepreneurs and risk-takers willing to dig in."
    Judy Watts, executive director of the Agenda for Children, a child
    advocacy group, warns that the neighborhood needs more kid-friendly
    environs.
    "The kids obviously are not going to come back until we have schools
    and
    child care," Watts says. There were only 10 child-care centers
    licensed to
    operate in Orleans Parish last week, including Clear Head day-care
    center
    in Central City.
    On a recent sunny Saturday afternoon, Gregg Stafford led his Young
    Tuxedo
    Brass Band in a symbolic jazz funeral honoring the memories of 1,055
    people who died as a result of Hurricane Katrina. A horse-drawn
    carriage
    carried an empty white casket inside a glass-enclosed case, from
    Treme
    into the French Quarter. The band struck up a joyous song.
    Second-liners
    twirled yellow umbrellas high in the October sun. They seemed
    relieved to
    dance again. This time around, they got the light.

By Frodo on Wednesday, November 9, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

shut up hippy!

By patrick on Wednesday, December 7, 2005 - 03:06 pm:

just returned from NOLA.

pics to come.

unbelieveable and encouraging at the same time.

By waffles on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 02:22 pm:

it was a very surreal.

right off the bat i have to gush about the two celeb sightings in the hotel, both at breakfast on consecutive days. paul schaeffer was at the table next to us on one day. not too big a deal. However the next day, waiting for the host to seat us, i turn at the british voice standing behind us and fucking A its ELVIS COSTELLO!!!!!! In LA you're trained to not approach in these situations, its just not right. not at 10 am in the morning presumably when he (and us too) just got up. He was seated a few tables from us. The GF had an amusing exchange with him at the buffet waiting for the honey to drip but otherwise there was no interaction.

moving on....

i took some digital snap shots, in addition to film. these are my snap shots.

part of the trip involved removing belongings from the gf's house to come back to LA. A friend of ours, who'se house was under 6 ft of water in midtown was there. the CBD, french quarter, garden and uptown areas (where we spent most of our time) are somewhat alive. bars and restaurants are open on a limited basis. when you leave that area for places like midtown where more heavy flooding occured they become ghost towns. they still dont have power, as our friends neighborhood didnt. she was probably the only resident for blocks to actually be staying (in the 2nd, undamaged floor) there using a generator and kerosene heat.

what was encouraging is the struggling tourism and hospitality industry, battered and bruised struggling to its feet. the food we had while there (except the really bad mexican food on magazine) was out of sight. Though limited menus, they were making do.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=waffleboy&album_id=205522&curpage=2

By waffles on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 02:26 pm:

oh and, we got a deal at the rental car place on upgrading to a new mustang convertable so, uh, driving through 'beruit' was kinda bitchin and scary at the same time.

By TBone on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 03:55 pm:

What an incredible experience that must have been.

By patrick on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 04:10 pm:

yeah, i love Elvis Costello :-P

we got a deal on the new convertable mustang at the airport so having a muscle car in a desolate city can be fun. it can also be slightly scary as it draws major attention and in parts of town in an already poor town, with limited law enforcement (there were still HUMvs and a 2am curfew). we had protection.

yes, it was amazing.

i heard this morning that 80% of the residents still havent returned. being in a million person city with have the city gone...yeah its a very post-apocolyptic indeed.

By droopy on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 04:26 pm:

a lot of them are still in fort worth, and don't plan to leave.

nice pics.

i remember driving a guy from new york down to my family's ranch - through the hill country with the gnarled trees and caliche roads. he said "christ man, we could be in beirut for all i know!"

By semi on Friday, December 9, 2005 - 03:05 pm:

the picture of the stuffed animals in the street is pretty chilling.

It sorta looks like a war zone, except for the condition of the streets them selves.

Did you get out of the city at all? I'm wondering what the surrounding country side looks like.

By patrick on Friday, December 9, 2005 - 03:35 pm:

very much a war zone.

didnt leave the city. the streets are littered with personal items like the barney doll...dvd's, tv's, books everything. i took that because it sorta tweaked a nerve in me. looking around, you wonder who's house and child it belonged.

i can tell you from the air, at least 60-70% of the homes in the surrounding area have blue tarps.

By Daniel SSSS on Friday, December 9, 2005 - 06:23 pm:

Patrick My shamanic teacher friend and search and rescue expert "Pat T" is right now still in NOLA searching for bodies and animals left behind. It is a war zone. thank you for the pics. I am currently in four inches of snow. Any body hear from syrup lately?

By jack on Friday, December 9, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

wayd

By sarah on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:42 pm:

hey guys, got a favor to ask.

senor really wants to see this show that's airing on HBO tonight. we don't have HBO and oddly enough, we've emailed all our friends in austin, and they either do not have HBO or if they do, they don't have a way to record TV shows.

so i want to ask if anyone can tape or otherwise record this show for senor.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whentheleveesbroke/

it's the Spike Lee documentary about New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina. senor lived in nola for 8 years and has family and friends there.

maybe you can look up on your cable TV guide to find out what time it's airing in your area?

does anyone have the ability to record/tape it?

if not, no big deal, just thought i'd ask.

i'd owe you one.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:02 pm:

i have it saved on my tivo.

but i don't think i can get it to you. i can out to VCR, i guess, and i might have a vcr somewhere, but it is HD and i don't know what that would mean.

to out HD to vcr.

anyway.

if tiggy or dave. or someone has a solution, i can definitely do that.

By V on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:15 pm:

H.A.L. is your best bet,but he is in orbit around Jupiter right now.,takeing photos...

By dave. on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:17 pm:

i bet you that, within a day or so of the broadcast, it'll be available on torrent sites for download.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:28 pm:

it was first broadcast awhile ago. it is probably out there.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:17 am:

By semillama on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 02:05 pm:

dave., you rule. Are you aware of the new Nomeansno album that is supposed to be out?

By sarah on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 04:18 pm:

thank you! awesome!

By dave. on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 11:45 pm:

sem, i'm afraid of it. they're a different band to me. the last few albums have just kinda sucked. when andy kerr left the band, it was over. the new song i heard was mediocre, but listenable.

i do like this picture of rob -- http://static.flickr.com/77/225007837_b4f91e9f49_o.jpg

i'd still see them live, and probably will in tacoma in a month or so.

By dave. on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 02:34 am:

of course it's so like me to make a declaration about something only to end up eating those words.

the new album is waaay better than i expected.

By semillama on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 01:05 pm:

Awesome. They're coming through Columbus in October, and I'm definitely going.

By dave. on Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 03:03 am:

sweet! 2 shows in tacoma. 11/4 and 11/5. 11/5 is all ages.

tacoma loves nomeansno.

By Nate on Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 04:10 am:

tacoma loves smelling like paper mills.

By dave. on Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 04:50 am:

rhymes with stinky

By sarah on Sunday, September 3, 2006 - 12:34 am:

tacoma is punk rock in a way that seattle tries really hard to be, or wishes it could be.

By V on Sunday, September 3, 2006 - 02:03 pm:

Punk rock is o.k.,as long as its not Canadian,cant take that "Echo Beach" any more,how can you be "anti-establisment" if you have one person per square mile?

By dave. on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 05:46 am:

tacoma . . .

sem, have you heard the hanson brothers?

you have to get this: gross misconduct.

hockey. ramones. totally rocks.

By dave. on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 12:34 am:

i sort of remember having this conversation before. about the hanson bros.

i just found some vids of them from the cbc. "just concerts". i don't know if that's a tv show or something more like aol videos thing that you can get from winamp media library. (or aol, of course).

anyway, imagine if the ramones were all technical and shit. that's the hanson brothers.

By semillama on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 01:10 pm:

I checked 'em out dave. I know I've heard that first song on the radio - maybe on our local NPR station. It's now on my list of albums to get.

I've been checking out nomeansno concert footage on Youtube, as well.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact