it been a few days

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: it been a few days
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:32 pm:

WHere is everybody? the room has been empty

By agatha on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

We are all crying in the corner because we have no CANDY.

Ahem.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

Sorry about that agatha. I was never invited to candy exchange......

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

Jack... where are you? Jack??? just come out and talk to me!

By kazu on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:26 am:

I had a dream about Sarah last night.

By platypus on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:48 am:

I had a dream in which Heather owned a miniature horse named Charlie. Who pooped on my head.

By Nate on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:51 am:

heather's miniature horse is named puddintain.

but we call him pud.

By Antigone on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:08 pm:

candy nearing completion

By platypus on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:39 pm:

Did Moonit's ever arrive?

By sarah on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 03:43 pm:

what was the dream about, kazu?

i've frequently been having nights where i dream the whole night through. i wake up periodically and fall right back straight into the dream state. it is exhausting and feels not at all like sleeping.

not all of the dreams are good or bad dreams. for example, first i'll dream about having raunchy sex. following that a nightmare that i can't find my daughter. then a dream about ice cream. random.

By kazu on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:20 pm:

I was at your house and Charlotte was older,
    maybe two or three. You were telling me about
    being pregnant and her birth. From what you were
    saying, it was 100 times worse than what you
    posted here, like IV treatments your entire
    first trimester for your hyperemesis and that
    you actually went into a coma for a while after
    your c-section. I think you were pregnant
    again in the dream because you were saying that
    you really hoped it wouldn't go that way again,
    but it would be worth it if it did.

I've been having lots of dreams about birth
    stories I've read on-line ever since I miscarried
    on March 5th.

I hate March 5th.

By heather on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:33 pm:

oh no. kazu.

march sucks.
    truly.

my birthday is so fired.

By platypus on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:31 pm:

Oh, kazu. That really does suck. There aren't really words, but I'll say I'm sorry anyway, because I am.

March really is a crappy month. Here's hoping April kicks ass for all.

By Antigone on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Nope, no candy from moonit.

I have only to get big enough boxes, then it's away.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:55 am:

Oh Kazu, I'm so sorry. How heartbreaking. We're here if you need to talk.

By Karla on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:15 am:

I'm sorry, Kazu.

By kazu on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:32 am:

Agatha, did Cleo's birth involve forceps?

I think you may have been in one of the dreams.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:13 pm:

ask young children about their dreams. its quite amusing what their little b rains conjure up.

By platypus on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:33 pm:

Patrick! Gadzooks.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:45 pm:

Oh, Kazu and Sem. That's awful, I'm sorry.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:52 pm:

Thanks, guys. It's been tough but we'll just try again.

So it goes.

Patrick, how is Eva?

By sarah on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

fuckity fuck fuck. so sorry you guys!

but i'm happy you're trying. and trying is fun, right?

the next one will stick, don't worry.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:46 pm:

platy is that you that friended me on flickr? if so, that action was a direct result of me coming back to say hi.

im sorry to read that kazu, sem. im hoping you can find a shred of light in the dark.

eva is.....well.....she's brilliant . she's semi-literate, can count to 100 and has several online pets. she is just a doll right now because shes at the age where she just wants to be helpful , she's ridiculously charming.

im not sure if ive been back since i left the old print media publishing job but for over a year now i work at latw.org.

we are a producer and publisher of radio plays....traditional radio theatre. its a pretty interesting gig, i get to meet interesting people. i deal with the published work after the show's been done and our weekly radio show on public radio airs. i work with libraries, wholesalers, itunes etc.

last weeks was show week (we do 1 play a month for 10 months in a year). it was a 'docu drama' about the pentagon papers. not only was the chief of police for lapd, chief bratton there, but so was congresswoman jane harmon came, eli broad probably the biggest philanthropist in town, publisher of the latimes and many other local publishing and government big wigs.

since we use a mix of actors from screen and stage i get to work with a variety of talent. in the last year henry winkler, neil patrick harris, justine bateman, richard kind, jobeth williams and many others, some more obscure than others.

its a non profit organization so i dont make what im worth but its rewarding. and i get to bring the dog to the office, which is housed in the old courthouse in venice beach.

i finally got some work published and up in two separate gallery events in jan and feb. here's one local blog summary. you can see one of the pieces that actually sold at the end of the thread.
    http://laist.com/2008/02/26/photo_essay_vel.php

i suppose thats the jist of things as of late.....

i have a lot of catching up.

By platypus on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 01:49 pm:

That was me who friended you on Flickr. I'm glad to hear it lured you back. And your new job sounds incredibly cool.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:11 pm:

That sounds like an awesome job, Patrick.

How old is Eva now? 4?

By sarah on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:22 pm:

on March 1st i helped a woman give birth and helped deliver her baby.

the woman is a dear friend of mine whom i met years ago in hawaii. she is from texas, and only lived in hawaii for a couple years. we hooked up again when i moved to austin.

she asked me to be her birth partner, and i happily agreed. she has no husband. she was divorced late last year, and her baby's father is not her ex-husband.

she was pregnant with her second child. she had a midwife for both of her pregnancies, but the first pregnancy ended in an emergency c-section 6 weeks before her due date. she and the baby, her daughter who is now 4.5 years old, were both fine, healthy.

when i got pregnant last year, my friend referred me to her midwife. senor and i visited with her, and, honestly, in the end, if it were not for the fact that having a baby in a hospital - as long as you're insured and we are - is far cheaper than having a midwife, there is a good chance i would have gone with the midwife.

but i didn't.

and you all know how that worked out for me.

in any case, my friend desperately wanted this second pregnancy to go full term and to deliver her baby at her midwife's birthing center.

the midwife's birthing center is actually like a guest house behind her home in central austin, separated by a greenhouse and a breezeway. the downstairs has futons and low-to-the-ground seating areas, a library, a mini kitchen, and a full luxurious bathroom with a gigantic jacuzzi tub. the upstairs is one big room separated in two parts by a curtain. on one side of the curtain there is a queen sized bed, windows all the way around, covered by ancient, intricate lace curtains. the other side of the curtain is not immediately visible, but contains large industrial sized tool boxes full of, what turned out to be, a wide variety of medical supplies.

my friend called me around 10 p.m. on february 29th and said she was in labor and she was in the car with her mother who was driving her down to the birthing center. she said she starting noticing that she was having contractions at about 4 p.m.

i met my friend at the birthing center at 11 p.m. when i arrived, both her mother and her daughter were there, the midwife, and the midwife's daughter, who is in nursing school and apprenticing with her mother.

the midwife remembered meeting with me. i got the feeling she was slightly annoyed by my arrival, for what turned out to be a good reason, but i'll get to that later.

there was some drama unfolding between my friend and her mother. her mother was bringing in some pretty heavy, negative energy, and my friend was trying to get her mother to go home without hurting her mother's feelings. the midwife was trying to intervene and soothe the situation.

in the meantime, her daughter was wired and a little on the wild side. it was very late for a 4 year old to be up and awake, so instead of helping my friend get through her contractions, i spent my first hour there between helping my friend and handling her daughter, trying to get her daughter to settle down for the night. she was crying and i held her and read her a bedtime story and laid down on the futon with her until she finally went to sleep.

by that time, my friend wanted to labor in the tub, and her contractions were getting pretty tough. so i got in the tub with her and massaged her back and hips through her contractions. she labored in the tub for about 90 minutes.

during this time, the midwife went to bed for a few hours of sleep, while the midwife's daughter sat in the bathroom with us, and monitored the baby's heartbeat every 20 minutes or so. baby's heart sounded strong, so everything was right on course.

the midwife woke up around 3 a.m. and suggested the my friend move upstairs to labor in the rocking chair or on the bed, for two reasons. while laboring in the tub makes it a little less painful for the mother, the lack of gravity slows dilation. the other reason was that she said that in almost all long, overnight labors she's attended, labor slows down between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., during the body's normal deep resting period. she said that as soon as the sun comes up, the body naturally responds, and soon it's time to push.

so we moved my friend upstairs, and i laid in bed with her and continued to rub her and talk her through her contractions, which were getting really hairy. up until this point, she wasn't making any grunting noises, just breathing heavily through her contractions. after she got out of the tub, however, she clearly was in a terrifying amount of pain.

but she handled it so well.

she grunted. she chanted. she prayed to god for strength. she hallucinated. and she called out to her widwife, who sat in the rocking chair, so calm, almost seeming bored. so accustomed to witnessing what is a great drama unfolding for my laboring friend. between contractions, my friend would ask, "Am I okay? Is everything okay?" and the midwife assured her that she was fine, that everything she was experiencing was normal and the way it is supposed to be.

and it really felt that way.

around 9:30 in the morning on the 1st, my friend hit transition and it was time to push. i suggested that i sit on the bed behind my friend and hold her while she squatted to push. it was at that moment that the midwife looked at me with a glint of respect.

as my friend squatted and pushed, the midwife's hand never left the top of the baby's head. with each push she could feel the baby descend farther and farther down the birth canal.

right before the baby was about to crown, me, the midwife, and her daughter hoisted my friend onto the bed. i grabbed the video camera. the midwife's daughter brought in a household kitchen pressure cooker filled with sterilized medical tools. the midwife broke the bag of waters, and in one more push, the baby's head was out. one more push, and out came the rest of the baby.

it was a boy.

the daughter placed the baby boy on his mother's chest, then suctioned out some fluid from the baby's nose and mouth.

i watched as the placenta was born - baby on one end of the umbilical cord, the placenta on the other, still attached.

my friend cut the cord herself as she held her baby, who only let out one little cry at his own birth. he was so quiet, i was afraid something was wrong, but he was fine.

my friend ended up having a very small tear requiring two stitches. the midwife asked me to hold the lamp. a table lamp. so that she could see clearly through the blood in order to sew her up. she asked me if i could handle it, and i said i could. she said if you feel faint, let us know, because we really need that light.

if someone had asked me before that day if i could watch someone's vagina being stitched up, i would have said no. hell no. me and blood do not get along. but it's true, that when you're in a situation where your help is urgently needed, there is something inside that kicks in. and you just do it, you just do the thing that needs to get done.

when all of this was done, when my friend had come back down to earth from being far far away in labor land, and her son was breast feeding, and the midwife was cleaning everything up, she said:

this is exactly how it's supposed to be. women helping women give birth.

my friend was extraordinary. she worked so hard all night long, enduring what i know, what i remember, what i believe to be the most intense pain a woman could ever feel. and it was all perfect.

i went home around 11 a.m. to get back to my family.

when i walked in the door and saw my beautiful little daughter, i cried and held her so close to me.

later that night, my friend called me and said that her midwife and the midwife's daughter gave me the highest compliment they could give anyone - they said i should be a doula. my friend said that typically they do not like most women's birth partners - that they tend to be useless and clumsy and in the way.

needless to say, i was very proud and happy that i did a good job of helping my friend.

and in retrospect, the amount of money that the midwife makes for doing what she does seems like pennies. and not that there isn't a time and a place for giving birth in a hospital where medical intervention saves the lives of babies and mothers, but i feel like a fool and a coward for not having the guts to trust the midwife, trust myself, trust nature first. especially now that i've seen it work first hand.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:57 pm:

did you have a child sarah?

spider eva will be 5 in two weeks. shes a big girl now!

By sarah on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:26 pm:

hi patrick. sorry, i didn't mean to ignore you. glad you dropped by and to hear you're doing so well!

yes, i have a daughter. she's four and a half months old, and her name is Charlotte. she's super mellow and super happy. she kicks ass.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

thats fantastic. i know how hard it is having to consider childcare. i was fortunate to have someone come in home until she was about 16 months or so and then the day care was a family style in home place within a half block of our house.

By kazu on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 04:52 pm:

By kazu on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 04:54 pm:

Oh, and today was just awful. I had to go have
    more blood drawn and there was a pregnant woman
    whose water had just broke. Then I saw the
    woman who would have been my midwife in the lab.

I hate this month.

By semillama on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:16 pm:

it's true about henry. I'll put the collar on him and he will jump on the couch and press himself up against Kazu while begging me with his big sad dog eyes not to take him away from her.

It never works.

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 03:55 pm:

I know it's hard. kazu, but you will get through. Marci miscarried
    once before Ada was born. You body just has to get used to the
    whole pregnancy idea.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact