Election day!

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Election day!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 09:37 am:

Finally.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 10:32 am:

Totally.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 10:39 am:

For reals.

By heather on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:27 am:

voted. now the other wait...

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:32 am:

Well, Dixville Notch results are in: 15 Obama/6 McCain. Too bad Dixville Notch is in no way, shape, or form predictive.

Oh, the nailbiting. Is it 6 Eastern yet?

By semillama on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

Not predictive, but interesting to see that in the last, oh dozen, elections, went heavily republican.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 12:50 pm:

predictions?

Pop vote approx O 53 - M 47

Electoral College O 375 - M 163

I think Obama will take Indiana but not Georgia or Arizona.

Ron Paul is on the ballot in Montana. if his fanboys know and get out the vote I think he could take 4 - 5% and get Obama another 3 on top of that.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 12:55 pm:

Who do you think is going to get Virginia?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 01:42 pm:

I find the new electronic voting machine real confusing, But ,I got the whole thing worked out. Boy,talk about how the building real smell.. It reeks!

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 03:14 pm:

I'm pretty sure Obama's taking Virginia. I'm more sure of that than I am Ohio

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 03:28 pm:

in VA though, one of the nice little voter supression bullshit things that happened today was VTech had their voting place magically moved 6 miles away to a tiny place with little to no parking.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 03:37 pm:

"Boy,talk about how the building real smell.. "

Who among us was talking about the building real smell?

By heather on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

i voted in a church, it smelled great.

it was half a block away.

i have a crush on obama. perhaps even the obamas. i haven't had a crush in a very.. oh crap. olbermann, too even though some of that stuff makes no sense in context.

maybe i'm giddy with lack of sleep.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 05:31 pm:

my husband is gay for obama.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 05:57 pm:

My wife would leave me for Olbermann.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 06:01 pm:

By moonit on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 06:44 pm:

Can I ask - how come you vote on a Tuesday? Is it a holiday or do you just take time off work?

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

Tuesday: The name Tuesday comes from the Old English Tiwesdæg (pronounced [ti.wes.dæg] or [ti.wes.dæj], meaning "Tyr's day." Tyr (in Old English, Tiw, Tew or Tiu) was a god of combat and heroic glory in Norse mythology and Germanic paganism. The name of the day is based on Latin Dies Martis, "Day of Mars" (the Roman war god); compare: French Mardi, Spanish Martes, Romanian Marţi and Italian Martedì.

what better day to hold an election than the day of the god of war?

By kazu on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 06:54 pm:

He even said "presently"!!!

bwhahaha

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 07:03 pm:

"[Tuesday] was chosen as, in 1845, the United States was a predominantly agrarian society. Most people traveled by horse and buggy. Farmers needed a day to get to the county seat, a day to vote, and a day to get back, without interfering with the Sabbath. So that left Tuesday and Wednesday and, as Wednesday was market day, Tuesday was chosen."

So says Wikipedia. I have no idea if that's true.

Moonit, most states have time off to vote laws, theory being that people can nip down to the polls at some point during the week day to do their business. Of course, when people are waiting in line for six hours or more to vote...that cuts a big chunk out of the workday.

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 07:03 pm:

er, some point during the work day.

By moonit on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 07:18 pm:

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 08:30 pm:

Any time.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 08:43 pm:

so Obama has Vt and McSame KY or so go the pundit predictors. McSame is suing in virgina claiming members of the armed services didn't receive ballots in time, and a client (non psychotic too) told me that half or more of the completed ballots by servicemen in Iraq magically are missing too.

Yeah, this ought to be a long long week or more. I am thinking i should be in Chicago tonight. I am thinking I am glad to be in St Louis working til 9.

Otherwise I would waste the night trying to find out shit that i can see in five minutes in the am, when the decision SSTILLL won't be made.

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 09:17 pm:

Oh, I think it's going to be called tonight.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 09:27 pm:

It will be called by 10pm, I'm pretty much sure of it

By platypus on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 10:35 pm:

Ohioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

By sarah on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:14 pm:

have you seen Olbermann's hands? he has got the hairiest, caveman knuckles in the world.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:14 pm:

Hanging Chad. Insufficently colored bubbles for the optical scanner. I wonder if a stray mark will disqualify the entire ballot?

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:27 pm:

when I said 10pm I thought the West closed at that time.

either way, you can do the math. its over.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 - 11:49 pm:

anal sex for everyone!

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:04 am:

Was that on the ballot again? Man, I've got to read the fine print on those props more closely.

By moonit on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:05 am:

wow.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:24 am:

we see your female pm, and raise you a black prez.

By heather on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:24 am:

wow.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:30 am:

yay!

finally! audacious hope!

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:31 am:

I'm audaciously hoping we get some California results soon!

By Spider on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:38 am:

Wow, Goodness prevails.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:34 am:

America's not completely off the hook if California can't knock down Prop 8

By droopy on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:53 am:

oh shit, rowlfe.

unmarried homosexuals all over america are probably screwing each other silly all over america in celebration right now

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:55 am:

and in one state people are voting to take away rights that people already have that have shown not to do anyone any harm whatsoever. and its been heavily funded by the Mormons. polygamists funding a morality campaign against others' marriage choices.

sorry, but there are still massive curbs to climb here.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:25 am:

the prop 8 tracking is depressing.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:44 am:

i guess i have a blindspot for this since i have a life-long loathing of marriage.

still, marriage for everone - i don't give a shit.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:46 am:

i have a life long loathing of marriage as well. but so what.

aside from the fact that my sister is gay, its just the right thing to do. that so many minorities are jumping on the bandwagon to discriminate against gay people is infinitely depressing to me.

so I see Michelle Bachman won her seat. yay, rubber stamp of more McCarthyism.

And Alaska may re-elect a convicted felon. Retards.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:48 am:

Rowlfe, I am with you on this one. If my fellow Californians can vote with one hand to put a black man in the White House while taking civil rights away from other people with the other...

I feel so sick right now. I felt so elated earlier, and now I just feel disgusted. If 8 passes, it cheapens everything for me. Everything. How can we make such a huge collective stride as a country while California steps back into the dark ages?

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 03:14 am:

Spider, honestly, it smell like stale piss or something. It is a good thing that there isn't no more punching card where chad, not nate,been left hanging. I mean,I voted electronically today. I think it went smooth ,better than the last election. I think someone ought to tell the manager to use air freshner to eliminate the stale smell, I mean, ugggh....

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 03:59 am:

ha, Obama just won one of the NE districts, so plus one or two electoral votes, whatever they're worth.

By moonit on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 05:07 am:

Yeah Droopy. Its about time though right :)

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 05:18 am:

sooooo....

CNN earlier showed Prop 8 being defeated in exit polls, which have mysteriously been changed since then to reflect the new reality. doesnt look good.

I took a look at some others. Arkansas banned gay couples adopting children.

Any stereotypical thing you could think of a gay couple doing to a child doesnt seem nearly as bad as what I figure those fucks are doing to their kids already.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:12 am:

Nader managed to spoil a state after all, how bout that

U.S. President And Vice President Precincts Reporting 3533 of 3533
    John McCain, Sarah Palin REP 1,442,613 49.4%
    Barack Obama, Joe Biden DEM 1,436,745 49.2%
    Bob Barr, Wayne A. Root LIB 11,355 .4%
    Chuck Baldwin, Darrell Castle CST 8,181 .3%
    Ralph Nader, Matt Gonzalez IND 17,769 .6%
    Cynthia McKinney, Rosa Clemente WI 958 .0%
    Total Votes 2,917,621

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:12 am:

Anti-gay measures in four states passed.

Crushing.

The faces of supporters at the anti-gay rallies?

Terrifying.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:38 am:

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:20 pm:

yay

By Karla on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

Yay Florida for turning blue!
    Boo Florida for Amendment 2 - legalized bigotry.

By beta on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

Even though I could go one forever about how retarded it is that constitutional amendments can be passed in CA by a simple majority, I'm not going to let prop 8 spoil my Wednesday, there have been plenty of setbacks before, and this will be just one more to to turn around- and hell, not to sound glib, but the cops aren't exactly using firehoses and dogs to turn us away at the courthouse steps- one more election cycle isn't that terrible a price to pay. Meanwhile, I'll focus on something moving.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 02:48 pm:

Amendment 2 didn't just screw same sex couples, right? Didn't it deny befits to all non-married couples, including straights in domestic partnerships? That is some whack shit.

By kazu on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 03:16 pm:

Sem is an evil person who likes to make pregnant ladies cry.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 09:09 pm:

I felt as you did platy- so elated, then despair. I rode waves of these feelings all day: staring at the line of newspaper boxes at the bus station with Obama's glowing smile on each one, thinking of how i would probably remember that newspaper box-staring moment forever vs. frantic google searches while at work every half hour on news of Prop 8. I gave up around lunch, it was too depressing. I felt sick pondering that perhaps it's all the minor horrors brought up in the many state propositions that determines the sum and morals of a nation, rather than that one big win.
    I have since settled into a contented numbness.

But i do fall more to the joy side now that i confirmed that Prop 4 was shot down, which was equally disturbing (Proposition 4 will require a doctor to notify at least one adult family member before performing an abortion on an under-18-year-old girl).

By platypus on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 09:13 pm:

Yes, there were a lot of gains for reproductive rights. Not just 4 here in California (which I think Patrick and I were discussing on some thread somewhere), but an abortion ban in South Dakota which failed and a fetal personhood measure in Colorado which got thoroughly spanked.

A lot of gains were made yesterday, which makes this step back all the more upsetting.

By TBone on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 10:27 pm:

This whole election has been so mesmerizing and emotional. I'm now going to break my news habit. I'm starting with the new Futurama movie that came out yesterday. Then, maybe some Rock Band.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:22 pm:

This evening my mom and I went to see Peter Yarrow perform at our local bookstore. She and I used to listen to her Peter, Paul, and Mary albums when I was very little, and I confess I got a little verklempt when he sang "All the Pretty Little Horses" tonight -- that was my mom's lullaby of choice.

He was extremely laid back and warm. He talked a lot about Obama and about marching with MLK on Washington and playing "Puff the Magic Dragon" at LBJ's house with JFK sitting on the floor in front of him in true folk music style. Very cool.

I had a much better time tonight than I had when I saw Bob Dylan ~5 years ago. Peter Yarrow FTW.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:57 pm:

I just watched the Futurama movie too TBone, the election made me wait a whole day, but it was worth it overall. I liked it a lot, but the LOTR/D&D parody part wasn't as good as the rest of it, which was kind of random but very funny.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

I've already said too much about IMPeACH BUSH NOW BEFORE HE DEREGULATES ALL ENVIRONMENtAL Proteections left.

There is EVIL still out there in the next two months.

Yeah, so the market bounced right back with the mood of the People. I DO have some renewed home in the system because of the election. But I know certainly that Wall Street losing 500 points of my hard earned money the day after the elections just proves how broken the system really is.

We should move to impeach now.

By Karla on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 05:58 pm:

Yes Platy, Fla's Amendment 2 does screw over same sex couples, including many of the co-habitating Q-Tips who voted for it. I just don't get it. And get this - we have 3 local elections that still don't have results yet because our Supv of Elections is an idiot.

By sarah on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 06:53 pm:

senor was telling me last night that he read on cnn. com that of the caucasian voters who voted on prop 8, roughly 52% voted for, 46% voted again. of hispanic voters, about the same. of african american voters (which made up only 13% of the voting population on prop 8), roughly 70% voted for and 28% against.

i find this fascinating.

By Nate on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 10:57 pm:

a sweeping generalization from my limited experience, but my anecdotal evidence is that there is a lot more homophobia in the latino community.

not surprising that the exit polls would skew towards the no vote, either. lots of closet homophobes.

fucking prop 8.

i want to get a prop up for next time that makes it illegal for blacks to enter into business partnerships.

i mean, we'll have an equal but alternative contract: brotherships. same thing legally, but really, partnerships are historically for whites.

and another prop that allows polygamy.

because, you know, in the bible marriage is about one man and 'n' women.

fucking assholes.

By platypus on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Don't forget that if we're going to go with the Biblical rules on marriage, we should be stoning people to death for adultery. And if women aren't virgins on their wedding nights...stoning for them as well! (And not the Emerald Triangle kind.)

I'm also eagerly looking forward to amending the California Constitution to ban divorce, and to ban marriage to unbelievers.

Sarah, around 6% of our population is black, just to put the "only 13% of the voting population" thing into perspective.

By Nate on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 11:42 pm:

california has 21% of the nation's minorities.

people who remarry should be stoned to death.

By platypus on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 12:11 am:

Also, no wearing wool/linen blends.

By Nate on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 12:40 am:

don't shave that beard!

By Spider on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 10:26 am:

Or eat shrimp!

BTW, I think here in MA the measure passed to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

I'm not used to living in a liberal state. It's neat.

By sarah on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:29 am:

medical marijuana was passed in michigan and ... i forget. a couple other states.

did the felonious senator get reelected in alaska? too lazy to look it up.

By platypus on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:55 am:

I believe he did, but the race is really tight? They will be holding a special election to replace him, in any case. And they're holding a special election in Georgia because no one managed to get a majority.

By wisper on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 08:16 pm:

Hey, you want to sleep well at night? Well forget that friends, as you read about the failure to pass Florida's amendment 1- to remove an archaic wording in their state constitution that bans Asians from owning land. Couldn't pass because voters are too fucking dumb to interpret the old-timey language of the thing and opponents of the bill (THERE WERE OPPONENTS) thought it should stay on there just in case terrorists tried to buy up land in America. And that's in their words, not mine.
    Blatant racial discrimination, right in their god damn constitution, staying there. Mmmmmhmmm yeah.

By platypus on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 08:55 pm:

You have to hope that some of that came from people just...not understanding...the measure on the ballot. (I know a couple of people, for example, who thought that a yes vote on 8 was a yes to gay marriage.)

By Nate on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 10:16 pm:

once again, democracy is rule by the ignorant.

mark morford continues to be a personal hero.

it's god's fault

By Antigone on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

Goddamn, Nate, you are one ugly liberal.

By sarah on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

but why not vote yes on gay marriage?

By sarah on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

oh nevermind. they were supposed to vote no, i remember now. well anyway.

all they had to do was READ the proposition.

By Nate on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 10:39 pm:

i think i'm past ugly liberal.

i'm heading towards ugly, violent liberal.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 12:46 am:

Welcome to the real world !

By Nate on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 12:54 am:

i have a sneaking suspicion that if i ever reach the real world, you will not be there greeting me.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 02:00 am:

Yeah, I know :-)

By sarah on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

Gun-buying spree follows Obama election

Posted: 01:47 PM ET

From CNN Senior Producer Kevin Bohn

Owners of gun shops are seeing higher sales since late October.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Bernie Conatser has never seen business this good.

The owner of a gun shop in the Washington suburb of Manassas, Virginia, Conatser said sales have doubled or tripled the numbers he racked up in late October. Saturday, he said, he did as much business as he would normally do in a week.

"I have been in business for 12 years, and I was here for Y2K, September 11th, Katrina," Conatser said as a steady stream of customers browsed what remained of his stock. "And all of those were big events, and we did notice a spike in business, but nothing on the order of what we are seeing right now."

Weapons dealers in much of the United States are reporting sharply higher sales since Barack Obama won the presidency a week ago. Buyers and sellers attribute the surge to worries that Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will move to restrict firearm ownership, despite the insistence of campaign aides that the president-elect supports gun rights and considers the issue a low priority.

According to FBI figures for the week of November 3-9, the bureau received more than 374,000 requests for background checks on gun purchasers — a nearly 49 percent increase over the same period in 2007. Conatser said his store, Virginia Arms Company, has run out of some models — such as the AR-15 rifle, the civilian version of the military's M-16 — and is running low on others.

Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions, or even take off the market.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 04:38 pm:

Unfounded. Goes back to early Obama in state of Illinois trying to influence Fed law ...simply impossible. Some AR-15's might be difficult to get; few of our friends use them for squirrel hunting. Pure fear mongering among the opposition. And it seems that it is a ploy of the gun manufacturers to cry scarcity...market manipulation.

As long as you have an armed and armoured surplus Hummvee, who needs Ar 15's???

When the lights go out ..........

By wisper on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 07:54 pm:

Oh the tragedy, whatever will people do without their precious semi-automatic machine guns? I know i couldn't possibly feel safe in my house unless i had something capable of firing 13 rounds per second.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 08:24 pm:

I once fired a 30 round from my SKS-47, sending a pop can to a shredded pieces.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

wisper, you could modify your firearm from semi-auto to full auto. I have read that, telling me that I could of done that to my Raven 25-ACP. it is a small gun. 25 caliber.

By heather on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 08:53 pm:

oh lord

By wisper on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:13 pm:

OH GOOD HE HAS A GUN.
    EXCELLENT.

By jackpot on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:54 pm:

oh, yeah, baby...full auto is the way to go. word to the doctor.

By Nate on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 02:25 am:

for what it's worth, 13 rounds a second from a semi-auto is impossible.

maybe two rounds second.

the sks-47 is pretty fun, dr. pepper. i mutilated a milk jug with one, once.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 03:07 am:

Nate, one I was done firing 30 round on a can, We all were deafened for like 30 minutes. LOL

Wisper, I think UZI are capable of doing it, like 13 or more rounds in a second. I went to F.B.I. HQ in Washington D.C. back in 1981 when I was like 14 or 15 years old. The agent showed the demo of full auto UZI, once he fired full auto and it was done right before my eye.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:33 pm:

I'll bite. how in the holy fuck are guns interesting and fun to people? No rights talk, no 'tradition' crap, just tell me why they're fun. Not to be condescending, but shredding jugs and cans with an assault weapon just seems so.. Beavis and Butthead, without the satire.

Or to put it in South Park terms: "gay"

By Rowlfe on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

btw, I would never say I'd rather be dead than a gun owner, but I WOULD rather be dead than one of those people who talks about their guns like they do about their cars. That is a fate worse than death.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 02:54 pm:

when the lights go out, violence by handgun and auto or semi automatic weapons will, I think, will be the least of my worries. Cars guns we'll need neither.

By wisper on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 07:54 pm:

Meh, I got the 13 r/s calculation from dividing the 800 rounds per minute that wiki said in general about the AR 15, but then i thought maybe that wasn't the right way to go about it, then i decided i didn't know either way about guns so i would just go for it.

By Nate on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:14 am:

semi-auto means you get a shot off with each trigger pull. AR 15 at 800 rounds a minute is definitely fully automatic.

have you shot a gun before, rowlfe?

have you ever been skiing? surfing? have you ever driven over 100mph?

By platypus on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:20 am:

Hang gliding? Scuba diving? Camel riding?

By droopy on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:32 am:

i shot cans with a gun when i was younger; but when i found out guns are immoral, i stopped. then i took up archery, but it made me think of our immoral treatment of native americans and i stopped. so i took up horseshoes, but that made me think of the unethical treatment of horses in equestrian sports. now i just play darts.

By jack on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:58 am:

elitism, go!

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:28 am:

wisper, the fastest I ever drove was 93 M.P.H, But , I felt too danger. and for droopy, I do felt dart also too inmoral too

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 03:17 am:

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 03:37 am:

By sarah on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:08 am:

one of the guys i dated here in austin is from junction, texas. he took me out to his family's ranch and i shot a 22 at some cans. it was the 1st time i ever saw a gun in person.

it was a lot of fun, actually. not so much the obliterating of cans, which a 22 doesn't actually do, it just puts a hole in it and knocks it over. the fun thing was the marksmanship. maybe it was more fun for me than the average non-texan non-gun-shooter because i shot five cans with my first five bullets, and there's so much satisfaction in being good at something right away.

i haven't shot or even seen another gun since then.

By Rowlfe on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:16 pm:

Adrenaline? Really? from shredding cans? shooting targets? To me thats just an activity at best, and about as much an adrenaline rush as Skee-Ball or bowling. Even shopping seems like an adrenaline rush compared to firing a weapon at... nothing. I don't see why it would be a bigger adrenaline rush than say... paintball. There's a lot of things out there that require 'marksmanship' and can give you the satisfaction of being good at it right away. So why guns?

What I'm saying is I don't see how there could be any inherent rush to it. Is it the knowledge that this gun has the ability to kill real people vs. the arcade weapons?

I'm talking about target shooting here, not killing Bambi. I appreciate the strawman droopy, and immediate rush to elitism charges, but seriously. That was lame of you.

By Rowlfe on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:25 pm:

side question:

Have any of you ever had a gun pulled on you? It didn't change my mind on guns at all, I don't know if it even reinforced them. It wasn't a robbery, it was some kid in the backseat of a car with friends who wanted to have some fun scaring people on the street. For all I know it was fake. It doesn't really make a difference. He got the reaction out of me that he wanted.

By Rowlfe on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

to reiterate - I'm making fun of guns and gun culture the same way I'd make fun of say, Live action role playing. So much of it is inherently silly to me. And LARPing may actually in many cases be a lot more dangerous, but its certainly a lot more involving and more obvious a rush in my mind than target shooting.

I don't think I've ever seen people making fun of LARPers get called elitists though. Maybe if there were more of them and none of them lived in urban areas.

By Danielsssss on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 02:09 pm:

oooohhhhhh skeeball and guns.

By droopy on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 04:30 pm:

elitism was jack's word, not mine. i had been gone for a week. when i got to this thread i just saw the last post and that it had something to do with guns. i wrote what i wrote because these discussions are usually silly.

the gun pointed at you was probably a realistic-looking pellet gun; when i was a teenager, a friend of mine would carry one of those in his car to spook people. i've been present when an actual shooting happened and people were injured and ambulances and police were called and statements given.

i've also seen the beneficial side of guns with previous generations, when guns were simply a useful tool and sometimes necessary for survival (hunting food, protection against dangerous animals). even today, my lesbian cousin who lives in the hills around austin keeps a gun loaded with snake-shot because the odd rattlesnake shows up at her front door.

i've had experiences on both side of the spectrum - even more that the ones listed above.

By Karla on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 04:57 pm:

I've shot a Glock 9mm a few times at a range. I was surprised at how much hand strength it took. Hubby was a cop for a few years. He had the Glock for daily use and a shotgun for riots.
    We got rid of the handgun when our son was a toddler, but we kept the shotgun (dismantled) for post-hurricane protection. I've never shot it.
    I also took a concealed weapons course for a newspaper story I did back in 90-91. I passed the class, but I never felt the need to get a permit.
    If I lived alone, I might consider a stun gun. I've read too many police reports of people who were shot with their own gun, accidentally and purposely, by themselves and others. For me, in my circumstances, it's not worth the risk.

By droopy on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 05:37 pm:

the first time i ever shot a gun was with my grandfather - shooting cans with a .22 rifle. never did much shooting after that. never hunted.

when i was in rehab after my spinal cord injury, i met another guy in a wheelchair who had been mugged: two guys came up behind him, pulled his chair to the ground and robbed him. after that, i and the other crippled inmates decided we were going to buy guns when we got out. i never did, though. seemed like to much of a hassle. also, if i ever got mugged it would probably be a sneak attack like that other guy and they would probably get away with my wallet *and* my gun.

By Rowlfe on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 07:17 pm:

a better analogy to what i was talking about earlier is maybe for me comparing it to golf. the idea of just getting the ball in the hole - to me its a snooze, and you can say as such and point out how silly it is to you without much uproar. with that said though, if you're doing it competitively with friends or whatever, i can see how it would be more exciting.

By patrick on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

we found the local range here in raleigh. we'll probably go shooting in the next few weeks. the two guns we have havent been shot in a while and the 22 semi auto rifle i got for a birthday present when i was 16 that has been sitting at my parents house since i graduated highschool needs to be shot as well. so they need to be shot to make sure all parts work as they should.

ive shot skeet and range but never hunted. id consider hunting if i learned how to properly dress and utlize ever part of the carcass. that said, skeet and range can be a lot of fun. moreover i would not live where we live now without a piece. our house is off the road by an acre, in the woods and the kind of house that easily gets cased. its the perfect house to rob if you spend the time to case it.

that said, the odds of a home invader are pretty slim, i get that, but my mind.....for whatever its worth, feels better knowing i have a couple of options at hand. as a child, my house was broken into more than once, on one occasion we came home from dinner with the guy(s) still in the house. living in the woods, with the nearest neighbor some hundred yards or more away, im very happy to be armed.

i havent read too far in this thread to get the jist so my reply may be totally off base.....

By Rowlfe on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 04:07 pm:

"id consider hunting if i learned how to properly dress and utlize ever part of the carcass. "

Even considering respect for the animal and using every part, etc...

What fun is there supposed to be from killing a deer? Is it even about the deer at all? Or just the process of catching and killing one? I'm no PETA guy, in fact much of the time I find them more annoying and prone to exaggeration than the NRA, and I'm pretty much a meatatarian - but if I don't get the thrill of target shooting I obviously don't get what could be so great about hunting that could offset the fact that you're killing an animal for no particularly good reason.

By droopy on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

i've always thought that hunting touches a man's deepest sexual fantasy. think about it. a man walking along with his gun - this long rod - flaccid and pointing toward the ground. suddenly he sees the object of his hunt: its firm haunches and great rack. his rod rises higher and higher and, after firing his load into its firm flesh, there is total submission.

i had a great-uncle named newton who grew up in mississippi in a life so hard it would've made faulkner shudder. he was the only man i've ever known who could not only kill a deer but drag it home, hang it in a tree, and later butcher it himself with a set of knives. he made any other hunter i've ever met look like a pussy. he cooked a mean venison steak, though. it involved entire sticks of oleo, pepper, and maybe mesquite.

By patrick on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:35 pm:

if i implied fun or thrill in hunting.....its more of a challenge. i was a few under when i posted that.

we're pretty fortunate in the western world to be able to choose what we eat.

i think those of us who eat meat that has been farmed and processed are so far removed from what we are eating its a forgone conclusion.

is there a difference between fishing than hunting? raising chickens or cows on a family farm for consuption ? im not sure there is.

By kazu on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:30 pm:

Since when does hunting for food (even if you don't technically have to) constitute "killing for no particularly good reason"? I much prefer fresh meat to factory crap anyway. I imagine that if I had the resources to do so, I would find hunting as much fun as gardening. I would probably only hunt duck, pheasant, or wild boar as I bet I would see some resemblance between a deer and my dog because I'm stupid like that.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:34 pm:

killing any living thing is not right. And I grew up in a hunting family, my dad refused to hunt but once when i was young, yet we butchered cows, steers, pigs and cheickens on the farms. I can't stand the bones in any food at this poiint in my life.

But i like guns.

At the St Louis Zoo there was once a display on an overlook that detailed a sign about homo sapiens, the only species known to kill its own for sport, and kill other species for sport, and the zoo board made the zoo personnel take the display down. It was a small card that explained the plaza of people over which you looked.

And I still like guns. there is no reason these days in western civ to hunt animals. AOccasionally, when deer over run a place, transport them. I am becoming more buddhist and thinking that killing anything is wrong. \

We are part of a food chain no doubt.\

Now sex that's a different thing.

By kazu on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

Should we only eat that which falls from the
    tree naturally?

Because just the thought of that makes my bum
    sad.

Sad bum.

By Spider on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

I know folks who only eat meat they've killed themselves. Better to partake in deer, fowl, fish, and sundry furry animals who have lived free in the great outdoors than on hormone-riddled burger fodder (who are really bad for the environment, what with the erosion their hooves cause and the methane they spew).

By droopy on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:50 pm:

i was just thinking about my aunt nina's diaries of life on the farm in the 1930s. they raised pigs and chickens and most the meat in their diet were things they killed and processed themselves. i can't imagine it thrilled them to butcher a hog or ring a chicken's neck, it was just daily business. and it makes me think that shooting a deer or other game could have been all that different to them.

By kazu on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:02 pm:

I'm looking at some wild boar chops right now.

Tonight's buffalo burgers seem so sad in
    comparison.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

Kazu, speaking of trees , A long time ago, when I was very young,I thought the meat and steak were made from tree bark.

By Dougie on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:57 pm:

That explains a lot. Thanks Dr P.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

"is there a difference between fishing than hunting?"

as Kurt Cobain said, its okay to eat fish cause they dont have any feelings...

By Rowlfe on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 10:39 pm:

"Since when does hunting for food (even if you don't technically have to) constitute "killing for no particularly good reason"? "

I have a hard time believing most people that go hunting do so because their freezer is empty. Using the whole animal/using the meat almost seems like penance for enjoying hunting.

By kazu on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:57 pm:

The idea of taking pleasure in hunting/preparing
    your own food is far less troubling to me than
    being indifferent to the suffering and other
    problems caused by factory farming.

Arguably, many things that are fun are activities
    that otherwise exist for "no good reason." I just don't care.
    Hunting/hunters don't affect me (except when they do, and then it's WONDERFUL).

I need to find someone who will give me some of those
    boar chops.

By TBone on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 02:20 pm:

I went skeet shooting with my co-workers once. It was a team-building exercise or something. It was fun. The gun kicked and went bang, and the orange discs occasionally exploded. Most of the fun was in trying to shoot better than the two guys with military training.

I started out strong, but ultimately did not succeed because I started to get a little bored.

Friday was Bring Your Cheese To Work day. That was fun too.

By patrick on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 05:30 pm:

speaking of deer, 4 white tails just pranced through my backyard as i was raking leaves. fucking cool.

shit i wanna work in a place that has bring your cheese to work day. thats sounds fucking awesome.

By patrick on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 05:30 pm:

a pal made tatonka (buffalo) burgers a few months ago. god damn good.

By semillama on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 09:42 pm:

chunks of venison steak mixed into a homemade vodka sauce over penne = DROOOOL.

By Rowlfe on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:04 am:

"The idea of taking pleasure in hunting/preparing
    your own food is far less troubling to me than
    being indifferent to the suffering and other
    problems caused by factory farming. "

Uh... look, I can accept that the majority of people look past a lot of shit, both willingly and unwillingly, to live their daily lives without the despair of what their Nikes, Coke's, and McDonalds are doing behind closed doors. I know I'm a hypocrite for looking down on killing animals but gladly scarf up chicken carcasses for sustinence on a regular basis. The day I have to hunt and gather for myself is likely the day I become a vegetarian. I can accept that...

...but that moral relativism there, thats just bullshit to me. "Well at least we're not machines killing massive amounts of animals in the most economically efficient ways we can?" Huh? On one hand, we have underpaid immigrants and machines slaughtering animals bred to die, which though tolerated, pretty much universally disgusts people. on the other hand, we have families killing free woodland creatures FOR RECREATION and having it treated as a traditional North American value. The chasm between the way they're treated is kind of absurd to me.

Y'ever think that the glorification of hunting and the deliciousness of their tender innards isn't DIRECTLY LINKED to our indifference towards factory farming? There's TV shows where we WATCH people hunt other animals for chrissake. Just as the need for oil is directly linked to our indifference to blowing up little brown people, and our need to have water more conviently presented to our wherever possible fucks shit up everywhere. We're imperfect, sometimes immoral fucks who take a whole lot for granted.

I look past all this crap almost every day, but I don't kid myself, remember so much of this slides because there's not much we can do about it without reverting back to caves and that we're still decent people overall. I'm not ready to compare meat eaters to Hitler because they're not outside a KFC yelling "murder" all day.
    But I think anyone taking pleasure in hunting ought to own up to what they're actually doing, and just say "Yeah, so?" instead of these bullshit excuses. I don't care if you're thinning out the herd, using every part of the animal, whatever you can think of, if you're putting a bullet into a living thing and getting a rush off of it, I have to call that a somewhat perverted pleasure, just one of thousands in the world, this one specifically I am incapable of taking part in, that I 'tsk' at while smoking or some other equally bad or worse habit. At least when it comes to factory farming, I have a guarantee the machines aren't getting off over it.

So I guess this whole rant is about me being bitter that what I think is an overall negative thing, is actually treated like a noble one. In that regard I file it right next to buying diamond rings for your loved one.

By heather on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 05:45 am:

there is a fine line, if any, between perverted and feral/instinctual

buying diamond rings is about the worst/stupid thing a person can do

"little brown people"? wtf dude?

By Rowlfe on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 08:42 am:

By Kazu on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 09:00 am:

You just keep ranting Rowlfe, that's what you're good at.

By kazu on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:45 pm:

Anyway, I don't think it's an issue of moral relativism as much as it is situational ethics. You'll probably find that just as problematic, but I don't care. I don't think it's inherently wrong to kill an animal. My issue with factory farms really has nothing to do with the fact that animals die there (that's probably the kindest act inflicted upon them), but with the larger environmental implications and the conditions under which the animals live. I don't think animals have a right to live, but I do think humans have a responsibility to treat them humanely. I don't think hunting is inherently inhumane, particularly if the hunter is skilled (there is always going to pain and suffering and misfires so don't bother nitpicking about whether or not hunting "hurts." Nature is full of pain and suffering).

That some people get pleasure out of the kill just doesn't bother me. If the act itself doesn't bother me, I really don't care to evaluate the difference between someone who gets a "rush" vs. someone who happens just to enjoy a homesteading lifestyle. What happens during the kill is far less important than what happens before (humane living conditions, following reasonable hunting legislation, respecting endangered species laws, etc.) and after (not wasting things).

I'm not interested in any generalized ideas about whether or not killing animals is a negative or positive thing, or if enjoying it is a negative or positive thing. I am far more interested in individuals fostering a responsible relationship with the environment. Hunting (within certain parameters) can be done responsibly. And I like to enjoy the fruits of responsible hunting.

By droopy on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 12:58 pm:

one of the reasons i'm ambivalent about hunting is that i used to enjoy the fruits of other people's hunting. especially people who went out bird hunting. lots of free food. and you can't buy chukars at the supermarket, as far as i know.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:13 pm:

fruits?

By Spider on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:33 pm:

You know, kiwis.

By droopy on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 03:40 pm:

all animals turn into fruits after they are killed. that's why the meat you buy at the market has to go through a factory to remain meat. it's not a coincidence that the bird kiwi and the fruit kiwi have the same name.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 12:23 pm:

moonit is a bird or a fruit?

By droopy on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

a fruity bird.

By moonit on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 01:54 pm:

bird.

those mini kiwifruit are freakin weird.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 02:13 pm:

Froot loop bird, I think

By Spider on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 02:31 pm:

Dr. Pepper, we're being serious. Why do you think kiwis are small, brown, and fuzzy? (And am I talking about the fruit or the bird? BOTH. Coincidence? No. Q.E.D.)

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:07 pm:

gawd we're back at the small brown and fuzzy again

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:09 pm:

Spider, I was joking. :-)

By TBone on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

This is serious business.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 06:43 pm:

Could I have Kiwis as a pet?

By platypus on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 07:09 pm:

Yes, they make excellent pets, if you don't mind the doo doo. It can get a little stinky, especially when they poo under the stove.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 07:21 pm:

The biblography of this behavior is immense: exploitation all over the world, installing Dictators as needed, extracting resources with slave labor by force. Read Ward Churchill's "On the Justice of Roosting Chickens"; there's a new graphic book by Howard Zinn, I think "The History of the American Empire"; Noam Chomsky and Edward S. Herman, "The Washington Connection and Third World Fascism"; To Kill a Nation, by Michael Parenti, about the West's deliberate destruction of Yugoslavia to eliminate a successful model of Socialism; numerous others, some old day I'll at least finish my inventory for a reference reading list, see "References" at whatiwanttoknow.org

-------------------------
    all this from a guy named Eric. And he is right I think. 911 was an inside job.

I feel like he is quoting me on these boards.

By droopy on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 07:31 pm:

how about the book "kiwi and the froot loops bird: toucan play at that game"?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

Bwhahaha.

By moonit on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:01 am:

heh.

Dr Pepper YOU can't have a kiwi. But you are welcome to a weta or a whitetail.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:16 pm:

moonit gave Turducken a chirping kiwi and a bitchin romper that she actually fits into now.

By Nate on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 02:24 am:

that made me happy for some reason.

i recently realized you can eat the skin of kiwi fruit. i'm a much bigger fan of kiwi fruit now.

By moonit on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 02:53 am:

I love that kiwi. Its the most awesome thing ever. The first one I bought Reese stole and played with for months before smashing the insides.

I'm not sure I care for the furr (hee) of the kiwifruit; I do like the yellow ones though.

By Dougie on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:10 am:

Moonit, do you grow your own kiwis down there? My wife planted a kiwi a couple of years ago -- we have yet to get any fruit, but the thing grows like a weed. She's got it staked up, and it entwines itself around the 6' pole that's holding it up. She swears that next year's the year for fruit.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 02:30 pm:

By Spider on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

I did not know there were yellow kiwis. Do they taste like the green ones?

My elementary school students ate kiwis the way one eats an apple. They'd also eat tire chips and the packets of silica you get in shoe boxes -- these were nine-year-olds, btw -- so I did not feel inclined to take their word that kiwi skin was edible. My father eats kiwi skin, too, but he also eats orange rind and banana peel, so I can't listen to him either.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:19 pm:

Spider, tire chips? and packet of silica? you got to be kidding me?

By Spider on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:59 pm:

No, I'm telling the truth. The playground was lined with tire chips instead of gravel, and the kids (who, again, were way too old for this shit) would put them in their mouths and chew on them. Not only were they frakking TIRE CHIPS and doubly filthy from being outside and run around on, but they would still have wires sticking out of them. I mean, WTF, y'all.

The very first day of school, a big donation of shoes came in from a sneaker company and the kids were sent to the gym to get new sneakers out of the box. When the kids got back to the classroom, four boys decided to eat the silica packets, even though (hell, maybe BECAUSE) there was a warning on the packet saying DO NOT EAT POISON. I had to sit with them in the office while the nurse called the poison control center. (The quantity they ingested was not toxic, but it made their mouths dry out.)

They'd also eat pencils, paper clips, paper, etc.

I'm talking about my fourth graders. My K-1st graders did not do this.

By Nate on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 02:01 am:

i eat kiwis like apples now. it is the way to do it.

dougie, i hate to say this, but you need more than one kiwi plant to get fruit. you need a male and a female.

By Antigone on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 02:29 am:

Fuck, that.

By moonit on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 05:04 am:

Yeah I have no idea how they grow them. But I don't think CHristchurch is warm enough. We have a lemon tree and a nectarine tree but thats it. the futher north you go the more citrus can grow.

Yellow is slightly sweeter - its marketed to the Japanese I think.

I hate possums. They are a noisy pest (in the bush; not the city). There is a lady who makes possum fur nipple warmers - I bought some as part of my 30 presents for a friend who was turning 30. She loves em.

By Dougie on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 08:43 am:

Yeah, maybe you're right Nate.

My wife eats mango skins.

By Dougie on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 09:58 am:

Actually, the wife tells me there's a male and female plant.

By Nate on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:26 pm:

i've seen yellow kiwis here. they call them golden kiwis?

By droopy on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 02:06 pm:

i am eating a persimmon i forgot i had in the refrigerator. they were 4 for a dollar at the mercado last week. i don't know what variety it is. it looks like a small, orange-red tomato. i am not eating the skin because it would be like trying to eat vinyl.

By Dougie on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 04:25 pm:

Never liked those droopy. They leave a weird aftertaste/texture on tongue, IMO.

By droopy on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

my persimmon wasn't droopy, it was quite firm. but i know what you're talking about. the only way i can think of to describe it is that it has a "mustiness" that cuts the sweetness. i notice that papayas have that, too; at least the ones i buy. maybe it's just that, because i have a taste for cilantro, i can do persimmons.

By platypus on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 05:12 pm:

I love persimmons. But only the kind that you eat soft and mushy, the hachiya. Not the fuyus. So delicious. My Chinese mother wants to plant a persimmon tree, which is something I am very excited about.

By droopy on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 05:33 pm:

besides being on sale, i was inspired to buy persimmons by a story by the chinese-american writer yiyun li called "persimmons."

By Spider on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 07:41 pm:

Ooooh, persimmons. When they're good they're SO GOOD, and when they're unripe they make you want to rip your tongue out and scrape it down with a razor.

By moonit on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

I only tried those recently. They are pretty good. Tamarillo's on the other hand are gross' as are fejoa's which I thought tasted like linament.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:37 am:

I have tons of persimmons from the forest of persimmons trees surrounding me. To make em edible, gotta wait until the first frost, which was this past week. The freezing on the tree makes them edible. Then they turn sweet and don't rip your tongue out. Makes a great pie.

Also, the old timers said that if you at the first frost would get a persimmons fruit and cut the seed in half, you'll see either a spoon shape or a knife shape marking inside the seed, indicating a heavy or light snow fall during the winter. This has proven to be very adequate for many years i have checked...and this year, it's gonna be deep. If you want persimmons email me.

They are friggin all over this year...lke the walnuts and hickory nuts. But my nectarines and peaches did not do well. Apples on the other hand were tremendous, first time in eight years. Pears had a few, grapes got the rusty fungus again this year before I could get too many to eat.

By wisper on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:41 pm:

Am i the only one who thinks mangoes taste dirty and sharp? I was so disappointed the first time i tried one, and every time since as well.

By droopy on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 03:01 pm:

i like a mango. there are two types that i have access to. one is large with colors that vary from green, red to yellow. it tends to be tart and i like it with salt. i've seen people from mexico put chili powder on it. the other is small, yellow and oblong and looks, to me, sort of like a small squash. it's very sweet and has a buttery texture. i like it with salt and a squeeze of lime.

does anybody else salt fruit? i think it might just be a southern thing. i know it came as shock to me, when i was still a new england boy, the first time i saw somebody put salt on watermelon. but now i'm in the habit.

By platypus on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

I love salted fruit! And mangoes with chili powder. But mangoes are tricky, treacherous fruits. When they're good, they're out of this world, but when they're not...maybe they just don't send awesome mangoes to Canada, wisper?

By Dougie on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 08:09 pm:

I like salt on canteloupe. My dad puts salt on watermelon.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

as long it is cheap as .75¢, am I right?

By agent d on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

amen

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact