Michael Jackson dies at 50

sorabji.com: Are there any news?: Michael Jackson dies at 50
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:03 pm:

Weird not to see a thread already on this here.

Pretty shocking. I learned about it at a bowling alley, where we were at for an office outing. First time I have been bowling in about a decade, by the way.

Farrah Fawcett went today as well, but everyone knew she was on her way out.

An amazing performer, and weird weird man. You get the feeling his happy moments were few and far between.

By semillama on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

Of course, one of my favorite writers (Warren Ellis) did say something that puts some needed perspective on this whole thing:

"Yes, it does occur to me that right now everyone in Iran's going 'why the hell can't we get on Twitter?'"

(he also posted a link to this

By jaq on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

nobody in Iran is thinking "whoa, I liked Michael Jackson"?

so everyone in Iran is more compelling, deserving of attention...what?

not sure i get the point of that comment. anybody can get on twitter. what is the "needed perspective"?

By droopy on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 12:27 am:

i was just reading about michael jackson's death on aljazeera.com.

and farrah died! i'm of the generation for whom her nipples were an important part of our sexual awakening.

By agatha on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 05:48 pm:

What about poor Ed McMahon? No love for Ed? Again with the three's.

By droopy on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 06:20 pm:

i'm of the generation for whom ed mcmahon's nipples were an important part of our sexual awakening.

By semillama on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:03 pm:

The perspective I was talking about was the fact that twitter probably experienced a huge spike in traffic yesterday, potentially causing problems with the servers, and that the Iranians involved in the protests are primarily using social media such as twitter to get around the media blackout in that country.

The death of a celebrity shouldn't take our eyes off of what's going on in Iran, which may end up being a defining moment of our time.

By agatha on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:52 pm:

People are fucking fickle.

By jaq on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 12:41 am:

people can't pay attention to more than one thing at a time?

i suppose that is possibly true.

i'm not convinced that people need elitists to tell them what's important to pay attention to.
    it may be that they do.

By semillama on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 01:10 pm:

Who are you calling an elitist?

By jaq on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 07:36 pm:

i'm calling elitists elitists.

By on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 04:01 pm:

jaq is an elitists.

By semillama on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

I would think an examination of television ratings might support the idea that the general public as a whole makes pretty poor choices in what to pay attention to.

Speaking of people who tell other people what to pay attention to, or at least buy - Billie Mays????

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:03 pm:

I am disappointed to learn that Billy Mays just died today, I tried to write him as our next president of the united state last year, so far, nothing happened. I have always liked him. although oxy clean didn't work on my stained cloth. damn.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

By heather on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 05:15 am:

the pepper votes?

billy who?

oxyclean is pretty great.

where am i?

By patrick on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:55 am:

oxyclean has nothing on shamWOW

By droopy on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 04:54 pm:

vince offer will die after being beaten up by a tranny prostitute. they will clean the crime scene with shamwows. his remains will be processed in a giant slap chop and then disappear mysteriously. soon after that, ad execs around america will start having parties. when they serve the hors d'oeuvres, they will smile wryly and say, "you're gonna love my nuts."

list monitors arrive with petition iron-fisted philosophy is your life worth a painting? is this girl vs. boy with different symbols? being born is power scout leader nazi tagged as big sin your risk chains me hostage me, i'm fighting with my head, am not ambiguous i must look like a dork me, naked with textbook poems spout fountain against the nazis with weird kinds of sex symbols in speeches that are big dance thumps if we heard mortar shells we'd cuss more in our songs and cut down the guitar solos so dig this big crux organizing the boy scouts for murder is wrong ten years beyond the big sweat point man, it was still there, ever without you coming back around, look! coming together, for just a second, a peek, a guess at the wholeness that's way too big
    -mm

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 12:00 am:

patrick, I didn't said "shamwow" didn't I?

By patrick on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 11:12 am:

no, you don't saying "shamWOW" doesnt you.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - 12:46 am:

That's right :-) Billy Mays didn't do commericals on"shamWOW".

By droopy on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

karl malden is dead. his nose will get its own casket.

mollie sugden is dead. not many may know who this is. antigone might. he and i are both in the transmitting range of the pbs station kera, which has been broadcasting the british comedy "have you been served?" non-stop for almost 20 years.

i didn't know that either of these people were still alive. still - r.i.p.

By moonit on Thursday, July 2, 2009 - 12:35 am:

I know who that is. Quite sad really, she was hilarious.

By Dougie on Thursday, July 2, 2009 - 09:19 am:

Mollie Sugden died too? Miss Brahms -- can't think of her real name right now, recently died too. She was also on Eastenders.

By droopy on Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

as i suspected, there's a full night of aybs on tonight. that's a lot of mrs. slocombe's pussy.

By Dougie on Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 11:58 pm:

That was such a great show. Mr. Humphries (John Inman) died recently too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact