SKA

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: SKA
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Strange on Thursday, August 13, 1998 - 05:38 pm:
    As long as you accept good music there is no place happier than a ska show. The music, the people, the band itself and even life is happy at a ska show. Works better than prozac, especially if you skank. Free love, unity and dancing like crazy. What could be better?

Hard man for dead,
    Strange

By -oDDBALL oDD- on Thursday, August 13, 1998 - 11:03 pm:
    yep

By Carrie Ann on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 03:12 pm:
    WooHoo! *Agrees with Strange 100%* =)

I have been to numerous ska shows and have seen many a happy rudeboy & rudegirl skanking together, who in other situations may not even give each other a second look. The music.. it just brings everyone together, it frees up your inhibitions, allows you to get out there and just let loose and have a good time with all kinds of people. Whenever I attend a show, I just get this total rush and for awhile forget about the stresses of things I have to deal with back at home. Heck, I'm that way even when I'm listening to my ska cd's. Heh. I think it's great that more people are getting into ska/swing. I've been listening to it for awhile now (fav bands : skattelites, scofflaws, skankin pickle, the specials, the investigators, the feds, save ferris, engine 54, bosstones, less than jake, reel big fish, big bad voodoo daddy, the pietasters, cherry poppin daddies... to name a few)

Anyway, heh I already went off on another post about wanting to be in a ska band, so I'll stop rambling on here. Passion shines thru on this one.

Ok, now I feel the urge to skank. Hmmm, gotta go find another show coming up soon. Hephephep pickituppickituppickitup! =)

By RidinSkanklessinSanDiego on Friday, August 14, 1998 - 10:32 pm:
    OK, gimme the scoop. I need a change. Is damn-near-35-but-people-think-I'm-in-my-20s too old to skank? Do I wanna skank? What is skank'in anyway? To me, "skank" is a not-so-nice word you call a "skanky" chick. If I skank, will I meet men my age? Is skankability a quality that will draw righteous men to me?

By Strange on Monday, August 17, 1998 - 07:55 pm:

See, you definitely want to try skankin'. While it's bad to be a skank and definitely bad to be all skanky it's fun as hell to skank. (Instructions for skanking: Jump the music, move your feet, have fun with it.) Skanking is really really really energetic dancing, and as we know in society, everyone loves a great dancer. As far as age goes I've seen all ages at shows (Between 10 and 12 year-olds and the marvel of nature Howie J. Renolds who tours with Less Than Jake. He's 74 years old!) although uasally it's the teenagers and young adults there, but basically anyone that likes a good time, ska style. (There's another great thing about ska. A great message to the kiddies. You don't need drugs to have fun and crush racism/sexism/fascism/bigotry in general at every turn. Speaking of which, checkout the ARA home page.) Basically, just go to as many shows as you can, and plan to jump, sweat and be happy.

We Want Mustard!
    Strange

By Skachick on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 03:51 am:

I am 16 and I love ska.... I agree with everything that has been said about it. It is a way to release pressure and pain and just have fun. i agree that it brings everyone together because everyone skanks together. Everyone has it in common and you get this overall happy feeling. I will never stop skanking.

By Carrie Ann on Tuesday, August 18, 1998 - 02:54 pm:

By Strange on Sunday, August 23, 1998 - 01:46 am:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, if nothing else, to keep the SKA talk going, I shall now interject some good news (good news for me at least). The Aquabats are coming through Green Bay, just North of me, on the 18th of September. I will be there. A couple others coming through that I will _hopefully_ be able to go see are MU330 as well as the famed Mustard Plug. This summer isn't stopping for school.

Wheeee!
    Strange

P.S. I just pray to see Ska Against Racism again next year...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

By Carrie Ann on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 11:44 pm:

I missed the Ska against Racism when it was here a couple months ago. :( Had plans already. The last couple concerts I attended were...

*Ska show in Olympia (The Jerks, The Feds, Engine 54, Franceska, The Investigators)

*LollaPLUza (Super Deluxe, Goodness, Engine 54, Chicken Scratch, Parkland, The Kagney's & The Retros)

*Warped Tour (too many to name... go to www.warpedtour.com *grin*)

*Garth Brooks (w/Trisha Yearwood) - yeah well I have a very wide range of taste when it comes to music. ;p Heh. It was an awesome show.

*Endfest (The Urge, The Chemical Brothers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Josh Wink, Alex Gifford from Propellerheads, Pigeonhead, Semisonic, Greenday, Grant Lee Buffalo, DJ Donald Glaude, Stabbing Westward, Feeder...)

Ok, so those aren't exactly all ska related, but still. Heh. I need a good ska concert now. Endfest was the last concert I went to and that was about a month ago. Hrmmm....

By Strange on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 04:56 pm:

ahh, good music is good music. Granted, the majority of my collection is SKA but that's just because I haven't got a job, thus can't afford to go get whatever CDs I want. My tastes include such acts as the Reverend Horton Heat, the Ventures, Violent Femmes, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Mingus, Thelonius Monk, Jhon Coltrane, They Might Be Giants, Trent Reznor, TKK, Man...or Astroman?, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Tchiacofsky (sp), Mozart, Beethoven, the spoken word albums of William S. Burroughs... I could keep going and going...

Poi poi,
    Strange

By Carrie Ann on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 06:58 pm:

Right on. Great collection! =)

To show you a little of what kind of variety I have *looks to her cd case at right...*

Violent Femmes, Garth Brooks, Natalie Imbruglia, Sisters of Mercy, Simon & Garfunkle, Evita Sndtrk, (spoken) Garrison Keiler - Lake Wobegon Days(sp?), Great Classical Composers, The Cranberries, Save Ferris, Bloodhound Gang, Harry Connick Jr., Bette Midler, Punk O' Rama Skampilation, The Wedding Collection, Spice Girls (teehee), Sublime, UB40, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Barenaked Ladies, Michael W. Smith, Natalie Merchant, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Swing Kids Sndtrk, Swingers Sndtrk, Beastie Boys, The Great Entertainers (Jazz), Aerosmith, Aqua, Propellerheads, The Beatles, Once On This Island Sndtrk, Joan Osborne, Mighty Mighty Bosstones....

To name a few. Last count I had like 200 CD's. And until I own every CD (with POSSIBLY a few exceptions. Heh) I will never have 'enough.' Music is my life. Well maybe not my whole life, but a VERY large portion of it, I should say. It's who I am. =) La la la

By K on Friday, August 28, 1998 - 03:23 pm:

ska rules

By Asia on Friday, August 28, 1998 - 04:30 pm:

i pinched the ass of the lead singer of the scofflaws at a show at SOB's in NY. he was standing next to me, he looked pretty cute, i pinched him. he smiled at me and said "that doesnt happen to me often..." ahh...ska.

By Strange on Friday, August 28, 1998 - 04:57 pm:

Two responses:

I remember getting a friendly touch such as you described at Skappleton '98 (the annual college ska show) while Skinnerbox NYC was playing. Many would be offended but I can't say that I didn't like it. There's that free love thing again.

and

The Scofflaws were one of the bands playing at Skappleton '98. I have heard rumors that they will play someone's back yard for a keg. I really have to check that one out.

Skankin' the night away,
    Strange

By Carrie Ann on Friday, August 28, 1998 - 06:35 pm:

Scofflaws rule. My boyfriend and I decided to hell with those cliche' lovey-dovey songs and 'our song' is by the Scofflaws. "Til The End Of Time" I love it. =) He (my bf) played with them one time when they did a show here in Seattle. He plays sax and he and his friend caught their show, talked to them afterwards and the guy says "you should bring your instruments down sometime and jam with us." Well, who wouldn't jump at that. So next time they came, my bf and his friend did just that and it surprised the guys & they let 'em play with them. From what I hear it was a pretty awesome show.

Free love at ska shows is what it's all about. ;) One of the many benefits. Heh.

You know who else is pretty cute? The lead singer & the lead guitar/singer from Barenaked Ladies.
    *reowwwr* Had to share that.

By Random on Tuesday, September 1, 1998 - 06:24 pm:

How about Roger (the bassist) from LTJ? :)

By Carrie Ann on Wednesday, September 2, 1998 - 12:46 pm:

oOo good one. Didn't think about him. I saw them live a couple times and mmhmm, hottie. Heh. Plus he has a PEZ tattoo on his leg. You gotta love that!

By Strange on Thursday, September 3, 1998 - 06:26 pm:

I like Roger. He's great. I got to hug him. I got his autograph too. I would keep going but Roger makes me doubt my sexuality.

LTJ KICKS,
    Strange

15 days 'til I see the Aquabats!

By Carrie Ann on Friday, September 4, 1998 - 01:43 pm:

*giggles @ Strange* Go with those feelings.. don't hold back. ;)

By Strange on Monday, September 7, 1998 - 04:34 pm:

I'd rather not at the moment. I'm screwed up enough as is.

11 days til A!,
    Strange

By Strange on Tuesday, September 8, 1998 - 12:08 am:

DISREGARD PREVIOS POST.

Every band has at least one cute person in it. There are a few exeptions, of course... Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys... you know the type. But most every band has one cutie in it or more. It's a rule.

Oi Veigh,
    Strange

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact