Kid A

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Kid A
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 12:42 pm:

I'm listening to the new Radiohead album, Kid A, and am very excited. I don't know if geek boy likes Radiohead. I should ask. Anyway. Yes. It is a goodness. I'm very excited. I haven't had a chance to hear much of it, since I have to go back to work soon, but...what I hear so far I like, a lot.
    Yay Radiohead.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

ah cool. i was wondering what they'd come up with.

how does it compare to ok computer?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 12:54 pm:

radiohead has never stood apart from the crowd for me. blank mtv generation poop. I watched mtv in the hotel in santa barabara this weekend, the only time i ever see it, i get briefed on pop culture like this about 3-4 times a year.

i loved it when the little bimbo was announcing some new video by some psuedo punk band and she made a reference to "old school green day"

i slapped my cheek and vomited. this pseudo punk band, somebody called good charlotte, man what a bunch of crap....and people think THATS punk, fer chriss sakes man!!!!!!!!!

there will never be punk on mtv. i dont care what they call it, its not punk.

it's like spam...yes it's technically MEAT, but not really, ya dig?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 01:03 pm:

you've listened to ok computer?

green day, what a bunch of fucks. i remember watching them in berkeley when they were still on lookout!. they fucking sucked then too.

punk ain't music. not to invalidate it. it has a place.

but it ain't music.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

yeah i heard when it came out. eh no biggie to me.

punk is indeed not JUST music, it's a way of thought...a mentality, and jsut saying fuck the system and no body understands me doesn't cut it.

i admit to being swept by the emocore when it was good, when lookout records was king....i recall, i liked green day, moreover i liked samiam, however my most fav is/was Jawbreaker....they were gods of sappy emo core.....

By semillama on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 02:06 pm:

Punk music is music.

Saying it's not is like saying arithmetic isn't math.

Remember when you could see DEVO and the Ramones on MTV?

By Hal on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

I'll admit punk is music... And yes I listen to it, but I don't seem to follow with the mentality of punk music... I think its because I listen to every thing from Bach to Dure Heist to Fucking Garth Brooks... I don't like that much country music (and yes I do live in Montana, doesn't make me a hick though.)

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 02:54 pm:

It's very different from Ok Computer. I mean, yes, it is them, and it's very distinctive Radiohead, and it's great, but the mood has changed a lot since OK Computer. Would you like me to burn you a copy in the great burn fest I'm having tonight?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

naw, i'll support them and buy it myself.

or, support their label or whatever.

anyway.

i ordered it.

i'm not even supporting local music stores.

god. i am rot.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 04:49 pm:

You're a good man to support them, though. I hope you like it as much as I do.

By Hal on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

I should pick it up, I've heard good things.

By Tired on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 05:59 pm:

I'm in the mood for some "why fucking bother" type music right about now.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 06:08 pm:

I picked it up on the way home, listened to the first 5 tracks. To me, on first listening, a little bit of a let down after OK Computer, but that's ok, how do you top OK Computer? Plus I haven't finished listening to the rest.

I've never seen these guys on MTV, nor any photos of them, don't want to. I want to keep them a mystery, like their music is.

Patrick, you really should get the Bends and OK Computer, and lie on the floor with headphones and listen to them back to back. I guarantee that after doing so, you won't be calling them "blank mtv generation poop."

By Tom on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:03 pm:

I've heard very little by Radiohead, never really had the urge. What Patrick said. The songs I have heard haven't done anything for me.

Punksnotdead.

The Ramones, The Clash, The Buzzcocks... I don't like too much of the recent punk... if it needs "core" at the end, I'm not too into it. But there's some decent stuff, there. And god knows I do enjoy the "non-music" crap. Subhumans, Anti-nowhere league, Dead Kennedy's.

yes, I've horrible taste.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:09 pm:

Yeah, you sure do.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:59 pm:

Subhumans, Buzzcocks, Ramones? Bad taste?

wtf?

thats beautiful taste.....

Honey, you wanna pit your fluff band Elastica next to the Buzzcocks and tell me who had more talent?

for once, i adamantely take Mr. Tom's side on this matter.....

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 08:26 pm:

tom's taste in music=crap.
    Elastica isn't as fluffly as you might claim. They aren't a musical glory, but I personally object strongly to Tom's taste in music because I think it sucks. He listens to very different music than I do. He's allowed to do that. I, also, am allowed to say that from my perspective, his music is shit.

By Pissy-emo-Tom on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 08:44 pm:

You're allowed to say whatever you want, and I'm allowed to take offense. that's the way the world works. On this p'ticular issue, I don't take issue; I'm not incredibly fond of my taste in music.

Of course, I like Elastica, too.

don't really dig on this rampant abuse, though. But again, you can say whatever you like. So there's no point in my posting this?

right, then.

any possibility of letting the past be the past? I feel like there're some anti-tom vibes floating around the boards because of the me/isolde thing, which I'd understand, except I don't think anyone knows the whole story, which whole story is untellable due to promises made to miss Isolde.

agh. here, guys, have a lame-ass emo moment.

Ah, that was fun. and refreshing.

Very well, then. Carry on.

*salutes, then turns his stereo up and goes back to whatever it was he was doing. Music of the moment: Nirvana, Incesticide.*

By cyst on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 09:50 pm:

did anyone get the limited edition kid a with the little art book? what's it like?

I got an adavnce copy of the new pj harvey. fucking yum.

By cyst on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 09:51 pm:

oh, did you guys ever finish your listen-to-songs-from-terror-twilight assignment?

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 10:39 pm:

I have a little art book in mine, if that's what you mean...I didn't realize it was limited edition. It's really, really cool.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 11:54 pm:

http://www.tad
    pole.co.nz/
    this band
    totally bloody rocks right now over our way.
    Except I can't find any sounds of their latest
    release 'alright'

Sharon and I went out drinkin a couple of
    weeks ago at a bar where she knows the dj.
    She asked him to play tadpole so he put it up
    next and the dancefloor got real empty cept for
    me and her.

then he played a five melody which was
    TORTURE and the dance floor got packed. I
    saw a man headbanging. To Five. I got
    scared.

We left.

By J on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 12:57 am:

I am old,I love the Clash,Social Distortion,The Ramones,and Radiohead,but then again I.m listening to "Little Green Bag" by Tom Jones and The Barenaked Ladies,and that's just me."Just in time to find I'm losing my mind".

By patrick on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 12:41 pm:

tom i'll say this and this only, i notice people are staying away, but there is only one source of anti-tom vibe......and the snipping is a little awkward since we don't know the story, most likely don't care to know the story, so...perhaps she might take the heart and ease up a bit.....it's kinda lame

i really don't give a rats ass about anyone's music tastes

By Nate on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

ah fuck you and tom both, patty

By Hal on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 01:37 pm:

Feel the love.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

isn't it time for you eat your morning dick?

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

Unfortunately, my morning dick hasn't been delivered yet, so I need to go the grocery store and gran one. Thanks for your concern, though.

By Cat on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 05:33 pm:

I had a muesli bar for breakfast. It's phallic shape was most pleasing, almost as good as the real thing, but with more fibre and crunchier.

By Hal on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 10:36 pm:

I think I'm going to be sick now...

By pez on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 01:56 am:

*hands over a barf bag*

please use this instead of the hood of my sweatshirt.

By semillama on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 09:55 am:

I will admit to never hearing Ok Computer. I do have The Bends, though. It's good, but I can think of other bands in the same genre that I like better, like Muse or Kitchens of Distinction ("Strange Free World" by KOD[ maybe inccorect title] is definitely great headphone candy.

The reason I haven't listened to OK Computer yet is that it is next to impossible to find in used record shops, where I make 90% of my cd purchases. I guess that means its good.

Ever get pissed when you find one of your favorite albums in the used bins? I saw the Clash's "London Calling" ina bin a couple weeks ago, and thought "What Utter Moron would want to get rid of that disc!!"

By moonit on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 10:45 pm:

i feel that way about books.

how wierd.

the good thing about having a friend that
    works in a record store is using her staff
    discount.

the bad thing is when you like a song, she's
    sick of it because the store have been playing
    it for months before radio release.

By semillama on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 08:46 am:

I went to the record shop to look for Ok Computer or Kid A. No luck. I did stumble across Soulfly's new album, used, for $8 and Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Soulfly album may be an edited version (haven't listened to it yet) as the lyric sheets have the swears left out.

I also picked up a bootleg live Iron Maiden concert tape from the Piece of Mind tour - pretty good actually.

I then got flea stuff for my cat (just in case) and such.
    I also picked up the new issue of Playboy at Mavis' request.

I thought Chyna made the centerfold look really unappealing and mundane. Her pictorial was very top notch, I thought. I think they may have airbrushed some muscle definition out, although she wasn't flexing in any of the photos.

By patrick on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 11:46 am:

i saw a picture from that. i just can't get into her...she needs to stay off the steroids before her silly little career is over in a year...

By semillama on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

If she has used steroids, she hasn't used them much. There are a few female wrestlers around where it's obvious they used steroids. Chyna, though, I don't think she's big enough. Sure,she's muscular, but no disproportionately so. Women can get to her state of muscular definition without steroids. Everyone has the same basic muscles, which grow if you stimulate them. I mean, if she was a heavy steroid abuser, shouldn't her arms be bigger than mine (14" biceps)?

By semillama on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

Now, this is probably a woman on steroids.

(you may not want to see this Patrick)

By Isolde on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:03 pm:

I use steroids.
    But I guess they're prescribed and they aren't for my muscles, so I don't count. There's a wierd stigma attached to steroids that I don't like--the implication that if I'm using steroids, it must be illegally, and that I must be a bad person because I need them for a medical condition. Argh. I wish someone would educate the general public to the idea that not all steroids are bad, not all steroids are illegal, and that some people actually need them for valid reasons.
    That's the end of my steroid induced rant.

By patrick on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:19 pm:

yeah i hate that, there is a stigma with valium and other narcotics, that if i use them, i use them illegaly. I HATE THAT!

By Isolde on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:24 pm:

I hate that I have a valid medical condition which requires steroids, and that people disapprove of me because I have to use them. ARGH.

By Dougie on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:31 pm:

What are the medical conditions that steroids are prescribed for, Isolde, if I may ask?

By Dougie on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

And what's the deal with valium? Can your regular doctor prescribe it for you, and for what? For being stressed out? For relaxation? I've never known anyone to use them. Why not just wind down with a bottle of scotch?

By Isolde on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

Yes, regulr doctors can prescribe valium, and do.
    I'm on steroids for asthma and an eye condition.

By droopy on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 01:57 pm:

i was put on steroids for a while a long time ago. can't remember exactly what for - something to do with my spine. it didn't make me muscular...hamburgers and rolling my happy ass everywhere did.

i've mentioned this somewhere before: i was given intravenous valium once. i had an epiphany.

By patrick on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 02:14 pm:

i told the doctor i have a fear of flying. I know what to say to doctors to get the drugs i need. I read up on the conditions they look for to prescribe certain pills.....he is a nice and thoughtful doctor, who goes ahead and gives me more than i need* so i won't have to come back for a refill. I take them sparingly, and about every 6 mos i call in for a refill, as not to set off the dependency alarm. no questions asked. God love a lackluster HMO.

i would love to relax with some scotch, and a blue....

By Isolde on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 03:15 pm:

I'm baking a vegan cheesecake.
    epiphanies may be forthcoming.

By patrick on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

thats wrong

By Dougie on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 03:34 pm:

That's why she'll be having the epiphany.

By Isolde on Friday, October 6, 2000 - 03:52 pm:

Better to call it cheesecake, I figure, than tofu pie, which is what it is. It smells excellent!

By Nate on Saturday, October 7, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

i'm listening to kid a now.

just thought y'all should know.

kaya likes it. at least this song ... "the national anthem". he digs horns.

A. is probably not liking it. she's trying to stay sleeping.

By Isolde on Saturday, October 7, 2000 - 02:35 pm:

Indeed.
    And what think you of it?

By J on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 12:33 am:

Ska,horns,ska,good times,Reel Big Fish,it's all good.

By pez on Sunday, October 8, 2000 - 02:50 am:

"it's all gravy"
    "it's all apples and oranges"

By Nate on Monday, October 9, 2000 - 11:37 am:

i can't say yet.

i don't have to shower today. i do have to pick up the g-string and the marabu high heels.

By Isolde on Monday, October 9, 2000 - 11:43 am:

My lord!
    Ugh. It's cold. It was frosty when I left the house this morning. My fingers are all numb.

By Gee on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:17 pm:

hey, that's funny.

Nate called Patrick "Patty". I didn't know that when I called him Patty. it's like me and Nate have a psychic bond. which explains a Lot.

By J on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

Is your poop black?

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

thats what i was wondering

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:09 pm:

what in the holy heck?

i saw radiohead on SNL the other night. Thom scares me.

but the album is good. nate stamp of approval.

gee, if you're interested in psychic bondage, meet me astrally tonight.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 02:41 pm:

Astral Plane

Tonight I'm all alone in my room
    I'll go insane if you won't sleep with me
    I'll still be with you
    I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane
    The astral plane for dark at night
    The astral plane or I'll go insane

Well I don't see you and it's getting dark
    Today we should have gone to Central Park
    Well don't you want to see me ever again?
    If not I'll meet you on the astral plane
    The astral plane for late at night
    The astral plane or I'd go insane

Well we've known each other from other lives
    I want to see you today
    But I'll prove my knowledge of what's inside
    When I intercept you on the astral plane
    The astral plane or I'll go insane
    Alright

Well I don't see you and it's getting dark
    I'd have a lot to say
    But you're not the one that I can say it to
    At least not today
    Oh, well I don't remember it afterwords
    I don't yet know the words!
    But I know we've been together just this week
    We've been together on the astral plane
    The astral plane or I'd go insane

Jonthan Richman and the Modern Lovers

***Don't forget the Astroglide***

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 03:02 pm:

Yay Nate seal of approval!

By Gee on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 03:06 pm:

alright! I'm getting some astral-lovin'!

By pez on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 03:33 pm:

asstral, more like.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 04:05 pm:

well Gee did say I could fuck her in the ass if I went to where her ass is.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 06:51 pm:

Her ass is in the astral plane?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 17, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

Well, I'll try to find it tonight and tell you tomorrow.

i can smell an ass a mile away.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 18, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

Not necessarily the best thing.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact