jazz age juice jockey

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: jazz age juice jockey
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 02:06 am:

today i finally brought home the old phonograph console cabinet i've been wanting for the past year or so. i was led to believe it was a victrola, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a brunswick. this is the exact model i have, except the wood is a dark brown. it's missing the phonograph itself and the grating that once covered the internal horn (speaker). Brunswick only made phonographs from 1917 to 1931 - i would guess this one's probably late 20's.

i have no intention of going out and finding a phonograph player for it. i just thought it would make an excellent liquor cabinet. i'm going to keep the glasses, shakers, and other paraphenalia in the speaker cubby hole, and the booze in the cabinet. with the lid closed, it's 3'9" off the ground. in my chair, i'm about 4 feet tall (not 4'10"). so it's just the right height for my needs.

By patrick on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 11:58 am:

thats dope yo!

By droopy on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:21 am:

i just wish i had the money to buy booze to put in it. i can't wait till the end of the month.

By Cat on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 04:26 am:

What a stylish vessel to launch much drunken debauchery from. May all who sail on her alcoholic mists be safe from the curse of the morning after.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:43 am:

id have to drop $500 to buy enough liquor to maintain the resemblence of a liquor cabinet for a month.

By droopy on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

and if, sometimes, on the stairs of a palace, or the green side of a ditch, or in the dreary solitude of your own room you should awake and the drunkeness be half or wholly slipped away from you, ask of the wind, or of the wave, or of the star, or of the the bird, or of the clock, or whatever flies or sighs or rocks or sings or sleeps what the hour is. and the wind, wave, star, bird, clock will answer you: it is the hour to be drunken. be drunken if you not be martyred slaves of time, be drunken continually.

By J on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

As of last night,I went a whole week without drinking,I figure with my family situation as it stands,I need to keep on my toes and watch what's going on,but I feel like shit.I seriously had more energy when I drank,I can hardly keep my eyes open past 9.p.m.,that's not like me.If I don't start feeling a whole lot perkier than I do now,I'm going to start again and make up for lost time,I only quit to see if I could,plus I hurt myself staggering around in the dark,I have had a sprained ankle for over a week.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

i'm in the process of powering through the remains of my liquor cabinet, cuz i can't ship the stuff to texas. the brandy and amaretto was finished off saturday night, a nice compliment to the chocolate cherry polenta cake i baked.

i still have an entire bottle of 1800, an entire bottle of stolis, half a fifth of sapphire, half a fifth of white rum and spiced rum, a bottle of triple sec, some Wild Spirit, and a little homemade kahlua.

now taking suggestions.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:29 pm:

btw, droop. that turntable console is way fucking cool.

By heather on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

i suggest you invite me

By Nate on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:40 pm:

i suggest you fill a pitcher full of ice, pour on the stoli, and make sure it's gone before the ice melts.

By Cat on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:41 pm:

please provide kahlua recipe stop urgently stop local supplies desperately low stop

By droopy on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:53 pm:

sarah - do what i did in ninth grade: dump all of it into an empty liter coke bottle and then go hang out in the alley behind the arcade and get shitfaced with your buddies.

i've come a long way in 20 years. now i don't have to hang out in the alley until after they close the bar.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:55 pm:

HA!

have a party sarah. be it of 1 or 20.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:56 pm:

juice jockey. i just realized what a great term that is.

By droop on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

juice my jock, baby.

By Cat on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 08:13 pm:

juicy jocks. Kind of like spunkypants.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:10 pm:

you sure, heather? remember what happened the last time we were together drinking heavily...

By Spunky on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:12 pm:

My pants are full of spunk, thanks

By Spunked on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

droopy, that turn table is unbelieveable

By heather on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 09:36 pm:

of course i'm sure
    but if you don't want to invite me i'll understand

no i won't

but this isn't looking good for me

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:52 pm:

almost everyone in sorabjiland has an open invitation. heather, if you can get here by july 3rd, you and me can sit down and finish off all my liquor and a couple bottles of wine at my house, which will be empty, save for a few left over empty cardboard boxes, scraps of bubble wrap, and a refrigerator full of overripe mangoes.

wow. now that i think about it... shit. hurry on over, girl! there's still time.

then we have new orleans to look forward to.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 10:53 pm:

cat, i can get the kahlua recipe from my friend sandi, who made the stuff i have. mmmm.

i'm thirsty.

By sarah on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:06 pm:

heather, wtf. really. i mean, you're halfway here anyway and my last day of work is friday...

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 11:39 am:

is heather on the west coast?

what happened the last time you two drank heavily together? huh? huh?

why all the secrecy with you people.

lay it out!

By Nate on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

jesus christ, patrick, pay attention.

heather is in my house at the moment. which happens to be on the west coast. i'm taking her to the airport tonight, at which point i will be sad in a way that i am expecting to be difficult to deal with.

the rest of it is none of your fucking business.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:12 pm:

i had no idea. i don't recall ever seeing a post that said she was still there.

you implied with the post "did" as if you had fun in the past tense, leading me to believe she left.

you've told me way more than i asked for pal, so settle down.

By Nate on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

i'm settled. i was speaking about the other stuff anyway. fucko.

By heather on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

yeah. he wanted to know about me and sarah drinking too much. be nice to patrick.

i'll admit i'm feeling irritable myself.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:25 pm:

Just go back and look, Patrick. The Sarah/Heather Storming of Detroit took place a year or so ago. I think Sarah related the story, but I have no idea what the thread is. I think it was typical of the bizaareness that occurs when ever two of us actually meet.

By heather on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

it was this past winter holiday

i almost met sem the year before, i am sorry i didn't. i also almost met markus, but not. i'm ok with that.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

i rememeber them meeting, its just they were vague with details then. Other than a guy who hit on them or something...and was a real dope and what not thats about all i recall.

i recall them alluding to other things then, and sarah is now...so im being nosey.

Im wanting the know the unknown.

There is no hurt in asking.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

one of the first things out of sarah's keyboard when kalli spoke of meeting nico and i was

"so..did you threesome?"

I appreciate that directness

i wish i could think of some practical jokes i could coordinate with heather to play on nate this afternoon.

By heather on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

[email me]

By Nate on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

notice she didn't give you an email address.

By spider on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

duh

By patrick on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

i have her email spanky.

i assume your at his crib.

arrange a scavenger hunt after you are gone.

By sarah on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 03:19 pm:

i have been having a lot of first hand experience lately being sad in a way that is difficult to deal with, difficult to diffuse, and ineffable.

i'm not sure being in austin is going to relieve all of the sadness.

anyway, i'll be home tonight if you feel like talking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact