The Tick

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: The Tick
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 09:26 am:

Come on, who watched it? Sarah? Antigone? Wisper?

I liked it! Arthur's cute. I wasn't pleased with the change from Der Fleidermaus to Batmanuel, though I did appreciate his cell phone ring. (Hee! It's called "salsa" -- my roommate used to use it.) I also enjoyed the fortune cookie/"it's a message from my teeth!" bit and the back of Jimmy Carter's head.

I'm concerned, though. There are things in the comic/cartoon that just can't translate -- for example, how can they make Chairface Chippendale? I love him, but what would his head look like?

By dave. on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 09:32 am:

i thought it was pretty good. i'll watch the next episode.

By JusMiceElf on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 09:32 am:

Damn....are you talking about the live action tick, Spider? I wanna see it!

Heh. Have I written about the time I played Win, Lose, or Draw with Ben Edlund? That was a trip. He's one goofy guy.

ps I haven't forgotten about your cd. I have to find out if Bob has the remix done yet, but I quit my job, so I've barely seen him since early August.

By sarah on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 09:38 am:

kevin's roommate jeff taped it. i didn't get to see it cuz at the last minute k was offered free passes from one of his freelance clience to IMAX last night and we got a sneak preview of the 3D movie. can't remember what it's called but holy fuck it was incredible. i mean, the animation and artistry was phenominal, gorgeous. and that shit was right up in your face.

the miracle i guess is the ocular nerve. that we can perceive something like that, or that we can create something that takes full advantage of our circuitry is something to ponder.

also, there was a Simspon's vignette in it.

By sarah on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 09:39 am:

also, and i'm mad because kevin lost one of my original tick videotapes which had some bitchin episodes on it.

By MARGRET on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 10:15 am:

It was pretty good. Patrick Warburton would do better to just deliver the lines deadpan...he doesn't have to try so hard. And Arthur was YUMMY.

By Spider on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 10:59 am:

JusMicElf: live action all the way, baby. Please do tell your Ben Edlund story -- that sounds exciting! Also, thank you for remembering the CD....I myself have forgotten about it. Was it live Tom Waits? That seems familiar, and if so, yes, I would still like it and would be very grateful.

Sarah: I have been told that people are selling the Tick episodes on ebay. One acquaintance of mine was able to score the entire series on CD-ROM. I don't know if any are currently up for auction, but you could look.

By patrick on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 11:17 am:

it was on my tv but Luna was on my cdplayer. Luna was much more condusive to the work i was doing. im going through hundreds of proofsheets from the last 3 years, looking at images for print or reprint.

i watched this really awesome Frontline documentary about Saddam Hussein and his threat, perceived and real. Pretty fucking scary. Frontline is so god damn authoritative I was scared.

I'll try and watch it just for you next time spider.

By Spider on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 11:25 am:

By JusMiceElf on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 11:28 am:

Spider: it was my friend Bob's cd; a five song demo of his own songs, that he took down to Texas with him for the Kerrville folk festival.

As for Ben Edlund: back when there was a Words and Pictures Museum (RIP) here in Northampton, they used to have some crazy member events. One year, they had a signing and a party with Ben Edlund, Evan Dorkin, Sarah Dyer and David Lapham. During the party, there was a big game of win lose, or draw, with the artists doing the drawing. I got to be on Ben's team, and we had a blast. He's a lanky guy, with a capital "I" tattooed on each forearm. He said it accentuates his lankiness, and he wanted to have his own pronoun.

By wisper on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

"i'm going to spread my rich buttery justice over your every nook and cranny!"

me laugh. show good.

ya know i've only seen the cartoon 3 times? sad, i know. I had to catch the 2nd re-re-plays on Showcase or Bravo or one of those channels. See i usually only watch shows between 1 and 4am. I can't imagine what i was doing with my time when they first ran, as few things are more important to me than cartoons ;)

the Family Guy season premier put on before it made one hell of an hour for tv. yeehaw!

By Spider on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

JusMicElf, I remember now! Thank you!

Wisper, go to that Ebay link and get yourself some big blue righteousness. Even the episode titles are funny. "the tick vs. arthur's bank account" - ha!

By semillama on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 06:47 pm:

FUck I missed it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE had a pizza and beer party for the crew.

However, I did catch this weird ass hour and a half of carttons on Cratoon netwoork from 10:30-12, which consisted of this bizaare Brak show, Another bizaare show that was set under water, and Space Ghost.

By Pug on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 09:04 am:

"The Brak Show" rocks...Brak is my totem animal. Except for alternate Thursdays, when Harpo Marx is my totem animal.
    So I'm now missing "The Tick"! Great----my TV shit the bed two or three weeks ago and I never thought I'd miss the Idiot Box so much.
    SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Strange on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 12:09 am:

By LoneStranger on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 01:49 am:

I really miss Brak on Spaceghost. I wish he would come back more.

LS

By Antigone on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 05:34 am:

I realy wish more people would sign their posts twice like a dumbass.

A

By Czarina on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 09:22 am:

I've been trying to.
    Cz

By Nate on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 09:32 am:

i dunno, tiggy- you sign your emails, don't you?

n

By Antigone on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

you sign your nutsack, don't you?

By LoneStranger on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

I sign womens' tummies with my semen.

With a big LS.

like this:

LS.

LS

P.S. Don't ever pass out before Nate when he has his camera. He'll be signing your forehead with his nutsack.

By Spider on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 03:16 pm:

Brak isn't on Space Ghost anymore??

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 11:14 am:

No. Once he got his own show, they took him off of it. I guess they didn't want to overdo it. It gives you a reason to watch the new show, but less reason to watch Spaceghost. Except for the fact that it is Spaceghost, and he rocks in his own right.

I love the Bjork episode.

LS

By Spider on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 11:32 am:

I'm dying over here. A whole show about Brak? Bjork was involved at some point? And I don't get cable? Aauuuuuuuuuughhhhhh.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 11:54 am:

tick funny. hammer one hand, sickle other. heh.

By LoneStranger on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

Yes. Brak has his own show. It's funny. He lives with a normal sixties family that isn't normal one bit.

Bjork was on Spaceghost. She played his wife. He denied it at first, but then admitted that he did it a long time ago. She was totally hillarious.

I don't get good cable in the dorms either. San Jose is one of the last places in the country that still has an A side and a B side for cable. I get only A. Comedy Central, MTV, SciFi, CNN, Cartoon Network, TNT, etc are all on B cable. I hate it.

LS

By Spider on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

You know you're causing me pain, right? Bjork was his wife?! *sob*

By The Watcher on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

Where is the Tick?

I loved the cartoons.

By LoneStranger on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 12:22 am:

Sorry Spider... maybe you can find the episodes on the net somewhere. There is always someone who encodes good TV shows. Search google or something. If you find it, let me know. I want a copy of it.

LS

By Spider on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 08:53 am:

Watcher, the Tick is on tonight at 8:30 on the UPN network. Be there!

By J on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:11 am:

Out here in my neck of the woods,it's on Fox t.v.

By Spider on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 11:52 am:

Oops, you're right, J.

FOX TV, everyone. 8:30 EST. Watch it.

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

I'll have to remember this.

It looks like it should be fun.

Hopefully I'll get a clear signal from one of the two Fox stations in the area. I'm a liitle bit out of the Washinton range and Baltimore's signal is kind of week.

I spent good money for a decent roof top antena.

I got better reception from my old rabbit ears.

By Spider on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

Where in Maryland are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

By The Watcher on Friday, November 16, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

North West Baltimore County.

I did see the Tick. And, really enjoyed it.

I'll try to catch it again next week.

By The Watcher on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 11:39 am:

I can't believe my luck.

On 9/11 I had cateract surgery.

For months I've been fighting a bad back.

Now I have gallstones.

Rats!!! I'd user stronger language. But, work frowns on that.

By J on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

Does it hurt?

By The Watcher on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

Not as much as it did yesterday.

The ER gave me some Zantak intraveniously (I know thats spelled wrong). Plus a pain pill.

I spent the rest of the day catching up on the sleep I missed.

The worst part right now is keeping my mind focused. Writing this is really hard. And, forget work - trying to read anything technical just sends me right to La-La Land.

zzzzz...

By JusMiceElf on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:39 pm:

I never did send you that CD, did I, Spider?

By Spider on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 01:00 pm:

Welllll.....no.

:)

I want Agatha to send us the mail art we sent her 10+ years ago.

By JusMicrElf on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:29 pm:

Dammit, me too! I moved, and never gave her my new
    address. I had assumed that it just got lost in the mail as a
    result.

Do the young people even send CDs anymore, or just share
    spotify playlists?

By heather on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:42 pm:

My computer doesn't have that kind of hole.

Also i don't know any young people.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 10:47 pm:

MAILART.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 12:05 am:

you always gonna be a puppy Heather. I is an old one.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 02:00 am:

I just saw the CD in question on my bookshelf. You want I should
    burn you a copy? Or something more recent. I have acquired a
    little bit of music in the intervening years...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact