DEATH FREE Earthquake

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: DEATH FREE Earthquake
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Christopher on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 01:29 am:

Yee-Ha. 5.2 on the Richter scale, 10 seconds, and my house did a little shimmy. My house is literally built on bedrock, and I heard it before it hit. This one was based near Gilroy, Garlic Capitol of the word. Boy! I'm sure glad I'm not dead!!

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 10:25 am:

they're thinking it's on the san andreas.

i wonder if this means the big one on the hayward is coming soon.

By eri on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

The "big one" was supposed to hit in 1984. I honestly don't think there is going to be a "big one". These 5.2's are letting off enough steam to keep the big one from happening. Especially if it was on the San Andreas. I wonder how the fault crack at Mammoth is doing. Last time I went, it was too big to climb inside anymore.

I can't really remember where Gilroy is in prespective to where my family is, so I wonder if this quake hit them.

Glad to hear you are allright Christopher.

By Christopher on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

To find Gilroy, follow the delicious smell. If it smells like cow shit, you made a wrong turn and found Tracy.

We've earthquake proofed as much as we can at our house. Noe Valley is one of the most stable areas in San Francisco. I was told that during the Loma Prieta quake back in '89, that the only damage in our house was a picture tilting askew, and a vase falling over. I use Quake putty for my pottery, so I'm hoping that we won't even have that. The hill that our house is on is a giant rock. Two houses over from mine, you can see that the house is built ontop of a 30 foot outcropping of solid stone. The only thing that sucks about living on this hill is that it is incredibly hard to get things to grow without adding yards and yards of fresh soil. We went with planter boxes around one side of the yard, and it is working great. I have a couple of really beautiful fuschias that are practically exploding right now. One good thing about having really shitty soil like this is that the bougainvilla's love it, and grow like wild fire.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

i remember driving through Gilroy from Big Sur to San Fran. Yes, the smell, indeedy.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

loma prieta was a "big one". so was northridge.

loma prieta was bigger, though. i live a stone's throw from the epicenter of the loma prieta.

the san andreas letting off steam could potentially put more pressure on the hayward. the hayward fault runs parallel to the san andreas up the east bay. through some of the most densely populated areas of northern california.

it could be nasty.

By eri on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:09 pm:

Isn't Gilroy like the Garlic Capitol or something like that? I haven't been to northern California since 1991. Haven't driven up the coast since summer 91. Loved it there, but could never afford to live there.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:14 pm:

well yes eri, thats what christopher said on the very first message of this thread, pay attention.

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:42 pm:

i think that people should stop picking on eri

By C. on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

I think Eri is a sweetheart.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:13 pm:

I think patrick should start picking his ass.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

wait a minute....(you guys can such a fickle mob sometimes)

when i have spaced out, and overlook something, sometimes nate, dave or someone else will say something along the lines that i said to eri (i.e. pay attention patrick). I wasn't being mean, wasn't being condescending, just straight up. now im getting jumped on for "picking" on eri.

where the fuck were you monkeys when others were "picking" on me?

By patrick on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

and antigone, thats two explicit sexual references you've made to me since last Thur. Im keeping an eye on you.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:16 pm:

You are?

Honey, I hope you like what you see...

By heather on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:20 pm:

i was not jumping on you

'people' is and was meant to be a more general term

i meant everyone

besides, generally you're arguing something, she was just making a statement- asking a question, even

By Nate on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:36 pm:

patrick, pay attention. check your shorts.

you, being a man, do not need society to grant you special protections. you can handle things said or done to you without undue trauma to your psyche. because you are a man! not some fragile, emotional jellyfish!

By Platypus on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 10:53 pm:

I live on the triple junction, so we always have little earthquakes. Although my house isn't very earthquake proof. I did, after the last big one, when K complained, take the heavy painting down from above my bed.

Wiggly.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:58 am:

I thought Patrick was a fragile, emotional
    starfish.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 02:40 pm:

i did cosign my nuts over to another party on Oct 5th 1996.

nate stop picking on eri.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

hey, i'm picking on women in general.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

Patrick is a beautiful, fuzzy teddy bear.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 04:51 pm:

don't forget my great smile and huge johnson.

By LoneStranger on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 07:17 pm:

Left breast, right breast.

Pillow and teddy bear.

One for the head, the other for the hand.

LS

By patrick on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

what.

By dave on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

free me.

By Nate on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

what.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact