The Holidays are over!!!!!!

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: The Holidays are over!!!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By trace on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

DAMN this has been the worste holiday season ever.

We planned on going out to Missouri and Kansas for Christmas in March.
    In October I sent out an email with our plans.
    We were going up there after Christmas was over so that everyone would have free time.
    well, my mom sent an email asking me to change the time we were planning to be in kansas because my brother had to work that day.
    fine, we changed the whole schedule.
    we were coming into kansas on thursday and leaving friday night for missouri.
    we changed it to get into missouri on thursday and leave on sunday for kansas.
    two weeks before christmas mom sent another email asking us to go to kansas on saturday.
    that would mean we get in missouri on thursday leave friday night and come back to missour on sunday morning and go home monday morning.
    we refused.
    then we got an email from my mom saying my brothers wife was crying because she canceled seeing her cousins so that they could go out to kansas on sunday.
    all we said was "that's a shame, but we cannot keep changing our plans".
    then we left home on christmas day at 2 in the afternoon. while we were packing the van, we asked eachother if we were insane....
    so around 1:30 in the morning on the turnpike in kansas, after driving through freezing fog outside oklahoma city, the van overheated.
    we pulled over and put more coolant in and headed on to kc, stopping every hundred miles to put more coolant in. we got into KC at erin's folks at 5 am on thursday morning.
    i spent thursday and friday fixing the van.
    erin's sister and husband had already at erin's folks in missouri for a week when we got there.
    friday morning, christopher was crying for mommy or daddy to come get him. we waited for 5 minutes for someone to come up and take care of thier son.
    no one did. we sent hayley downstairs to get one of them up. we could hear her banging on the door all the way upstairs in our bed room.
    she came back up crying saying no one answered her.
    erin flew downstairs and had one hand on annie's throat and her other hand balled up in a fist when mike came out of the bathroom and said he was on his way up.
    annie stayed downstairs until 11:30....
    sunday at noon I called my grandma in kansas to tell her we getting ready to leave and should be there around 2:30.
    she said my brother and his wife had aleady left for a family reunion in nebraska, but my folks were still there and were leaving around 6.
    we got there at 3:00 and as we were unloading presents from the car, mom and dad came out and said they had to go. Mom said "I just knew you were not going to get here before we left" and gave me a hug and got in the truck. dad said he was sorry and if we wanted we could join them in oklahoma on the way home monday.
    the rest of the day went great except for some damn reason everytime I went to talk to my uncle dennis I screwed up his name, and called him scott (his son) or sue (his wife).
    He was quiet all night except when he took Hayley and Micki over to his house so they could see his dogs.
    dad called later that night to check on me and to chat. that was not typical of my dad. he told me "I love you kiddo", which was very rare for him. I could tell he did not want to leave...
    We leave monday at 10, and micki gets sick and starts throwing up. around 4 hours later I join her. I think it was the water in my grandma's small town, it really tasted off.
    we get home in texas at 1:30 on tuesday morning.
    there was a message on my answering machine from my grandmother.
    she had called to tell me that uncle dennis had died of a sudden heart attack that afternoon. His birthday was on the 1st...

I am begining to hate the holidays.
    We are not going anywhere next year. we will either mail the packages if we buy any, and if someone wants to see us, they have to come here.

By patrick on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 11:57 am:

thats the way it should be. you have your own family now. make your own traditions and let them come to you.

By Czarina on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

Wow! Thats one crappy holiday story! I hate the holidays, but I think you've got me beat on the crappiness issue.

Maybe next year will be better:)

Sorry about your uncle Dennis/Scott/Sue.

By eri on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

The hardest part about losing Uncle Dennis (aside from us being unable to attend the services) is that he is so young, and having lost Grandpa to cancer he was taking care of the family (Grandma, Aunt Sue). Now all those responsibilities are going to fall onto Scott (Trace's cousin) who hasn't even reached his 21st birthday yet. His family is a major name in this town, from mayor (44 years) to firefighter, to landlord, they are involved in everything, and that is a lot of legacy for Scott to fill, though I know he loves to do it.

Spunky forgot to mention that when we were going to see my best friend she was at the hospital and her son's eardrum exploded and bled for 8 hours straight.

We did have some fun though. For those of you who know the story of my sister and how much she fucking annoys us......On the way home from the movies she started her neverending pity party shit, and she wouldn't fucking stop. It was probably the worst ever. Trace looks at me and asks if we should sing the Sherri Lewis song. My dad didn't understand so I started singing "This is the song that never ends, no it goes on and on instead" my dad understands and starts laughing. My sister's idiot husband understands and starts laughing. My sister DIDN'T GET IT! My sister starts singing along. We just about rolled over with laughter because this song was about her and not only did she not get it, she joined in. Maybe you had to be there, but it was amusing to say the least.

By sarah on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

hey, sorry to hear about all your holiday misfortunes.
    what a bummer.

i too am never again visiting family for the holidays. i
    will either go to hawaii (if i'm not already living there this
    time next year) or i'll be off to some exotic destination
    when i can afford it.

people become absolute freaks during the holidays.
    everyone's walking on eggshells and traveling is such
    a hassle that time of year. i'd rather stay in bed and
    read a good book.

btw, i just finished "Good in Bed" by Weiner, and it was
    much, much better than i thought i initially thought it
    would be after reading the first few paragraphs and
    thinking to myself "not *this* plot again". i highly
    recommend it. oh, and it's not about sex or being good
    in bed.

By spunky on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

"i'd rather stay in bed and
    read a good book. "

So would I, but the kids would not have it.

Thanks guys.

By moonit on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

I fucking LOVE that book Sarah.

By Czarina on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

Not much beats being in bed with a good weiner :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact