Arrested Development

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: Arrested Development
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:41 am:

I watched this new sitcom on FOX last night, for the first time, and I'm kicking myself for not catching it earlier because it has...

DAVID CROSS! *squeal*

David Cross, how I love thee. Sigh. He played the drama coach at the local high school, and he was perfect! "Huzzah!" Hee.

You have to watch this show, even if it's just for him. The rest of it was pretty decent, and there's no laugh track, which is always a good thing.

By Rowlf on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:40 am:

the show is pretty damn good. it plays like an HBO show... fast paced, quirky....

Ron Howard does the narration which is funny...

it is though, pretty much a ripoff of the Royal Tenenbaums.

it seems like a show that would normally get canceled within a year, but since Howard/Grazer are behind it, who knows....

By Rowlf on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:42 am:

also on the show

Jason Bateman, of "teen wolf too/hogan family" fame.

By Spider on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:49 am:

Yeah, and he's surprisingly hot, too.

By eri on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

I thought Jason Bateman was hillarious in "The Sweetest Thing" and wondered whether or not he was going to try to pick up and try at his career again. Then I saw the previews for this show. I just haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

By patrick on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

my friend Jim is the Director of Photography for that show.

Did you know they shoot that show on digital?

Amazing eh?

By Rowlf on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

it looks like digital video

By patrick on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:05 pm:

really?

i havent seen it.

however, it a step in a direction for DV and mainstream audiences.

the camera they use to film that is what sam has been using to shoot his work and its impressive.

By Spider on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

How can you tell if it's shot on film vs. video?

Eh, I don't get cable and my reception's always spotty, so I probably couldn't tell anyway.

By patrick on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

have you ever watched any type of reality show? say Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

The main footage is shot with a standard film camera. Whereas when they cut to the spy camera takes placed in bathrooms, or bedrooms, car dashes etc those are digital. Notice the difference? Any reality show utilizes both. The difference isnt so much about quality anymore so whether or not you get reception wouldnt matter. Think about the application.

By Rowlf on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:26 pm:

i'm not completely sure how i can tell, but i can tell... sometimes its given away by how the camera seems to be held... it also tends to look less stylized...

plus i've been watching Dogme and Linklater flicks, as well as a friend of mine who does low budget indie stuff with DV, so I've kinda picked up an extra sense for it.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

dude, speaking of mixed cinematography...last night Heavy Traffic came on. Ralph Bakshi, circa 73. I had never heard of this, and of course, as Ive stated before, Im a huge fan of his, well, not THAT huge as I would have known of this flic but still, i love his shit.

Have you seen this? Again, he integrated animation and photography to make some amazing visuals. and like Street Fight, he leaves no one behind in his sweeping insults.

By wisper on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 08:07 pm:

oh man, Heavy Traffic.....
    *shudder*

All that crazy trippy 70s adult animation stuff is bad news.

but that's just me.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

bad news?

in what way?

the over the top characterization cracks me up.

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:05 am:

Did anyone watch Arrested Development last night?

David Cross wasn't in it, which was unfortunate, but the rest of the show was great.

Buster has a rape whistle!

I read that Bob Odenkirk is guest starring on next Sunday's episode -- this will be fantastic.

By Rowlf on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:34 am:

i was promised John Michael Higgins was going to be on last nights show... no sign of the man...

I heart Mr. Bananagrabber

By Spider on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 11:42 am:

Yay, David Cross! Yay, Bob Odenkirk! (*sniff* not enough Bob) Yay, "OZ" reference!

This is one of the best sitcoms ever. I think they're having a marathon of the first four episodes around Christmas.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 8, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

thats cool...

are they showing them in order?

otherwise i'm guessing those "next week on Arrested Development" things are fake?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact