the proud owner of a badonkadonk

sorabji.com: Reasons to be cheerful: the proud owner of a badonkadonk
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

what is a badonkadonk you ask? if you have to ask, you don't know black people.

(dave's got me hooked on the chappelle show, since wildboyz has been off the air)

By semillama on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:19 pm:

Wildboyz is highly underrated.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

chapell's show is the funniest thing aside from Jon Stewart on television.

didnt i say this very same thing a couple weeks ago?

i get deja vu because i post elsewhere as well.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:14 pm:

they were supposed to be airing new episodes starting in april, but i haven't heard anything. should check the website.

By J on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

I want to get this station,on the site are two really sick and not safe for work cartoons by Trey Parker and Matt Stone called Princess,I love it.You have to join and be over 18 to see the uncensored or I can send the direct links if anyone wants it.Then read about how Princess came about under originals it's called shocked.Damn cheap Dish TV! http://www.trioplus.tv

By wisper on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:44 pm:

THANK YOU J !

By J on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:14 am:

You are welcome my most imaginary friend.

By J on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:17 am:

Oh i've seen your picture,that makes you real:)

By sarah on Monday, May 3, 2004 - 01:10 pm:

senor and i watched two back to back episodes of wildboyz last night. the 2nd was a re-run of the first episode of the new season, run last sunday (which we missed because we were in new orleans).

the wildboyz finally got themselves admitted into the emergency room - after sticking their hands in a mitt filled with biting/stinging ants. they both had to get shots in their butts.
    chris' hand swelled up so huge it was surreal looking.

we laughed our assess off through both episodes.

then we had great sex.

i highly recommend watching wildboyz.

By V.v. on Monday, May 3, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

Great sex?but when you consider,all sex is great.For me it is allways much better than for instance,licking a postage stamp.

By V.v. on Monday, May 3, 2004 - 02:49 pm:

...or eating a turnip.

By semillama on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 10:21 am:

Wildboyz is quite awesome. I think it's better than jackass, and much better than the one-trick pony of Bam Margera's show. I haven't caught it in a while though.

By sarah on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 01:49 pm:

there's lots of puking so far this season!

By sarah on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

the boyz were in east africa and kenya last night. chris let himself get bit by a rock cobra, and then steve-o smushed black ink into the broken skin so that chris would have a rock cobra tattoo. the whole time the two of them plus wee man were dressed up in metal rocker outfits including wigs, bandanas, and most notably chris was wearing a motorhead tshirt.

they also got dressed up in banana costumes and danced around a family of gorillas.

great shit.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 10:55 am:

I thought this thread would be about that Superstars show.

I feel bad that I watch it, because ultimately it just feels very mean, but I just can't look away.

Bye JoJo!

By Sye on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 11:29 am:

I generally think that I am a good singer, but I always wanted to go on American Idol. Instead of being rejected for my lack of talent while trying, I would have done poorly just to see what Cowell would say.

This Superstars show would have been perfect for me. Does anyone else have the fantasy that they would be called to do a show like this, do very poorly, and then for the last performance go hog wild and just blow everybody away with their amazing, powerful, stupendous, more-perfect-than-Fabio's-body voice?

No? Eh, maybe it's just me....

By sarah on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 11:34 am:

more perfect than Fabio's body

does

not

compute

By Sye on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

was meant to be funny.

did

not

work

By Sye on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 12:16 pm:

I really meant it to be funny.
    He's always on the cover of those stupid books, and he was referenced on the second season of that "average" show. I said it more in reference to the ego that Fabio holds, just as a lot of stars (especially ones who come out of strange circumstances) develop. That's all.

By sarah on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:52 pm:

for the love of god, please go here and click on the "Black Bush" clip. i laughed so hard i couldn't breathe.

By patrick on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:27 pm:

i saw that on tv. thats the greatest fucking show ever.

By Spider on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 11:04 am:

As of today, I have paid off my student loans. My last payment was in the amount of $19,873.56 -- I used money I inherited from my mom.

I had a dream this morning that I was taking care of her in her apartment and feeling the stress of her illness and grad school overwhelm me. Much of the dream was spent in distress, but then I heard her voice in the other room and she sounded cheerful and full of energy, and when I went in the room to investigate I found her fully dressed and full of energy. She was well again. I hugged and kissed her and stroked her cheeks and told her how happy I was that she had come back to me.

I am 100% debt free.

By Spider on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 11:05 am:

By moonit on Saturday, September 1, 2012 - 06:00 pm:

Congrats on being debt free. That is a goal I have been trying to work towards, but it doesn't help when you stupid ass husband buys a plane ticket to san fran next year because he wants to ski at tahoe again. I am really pissed off at him. That would of paid off a credit card and then some.

Also, I don't get to go so part of my pissed-offness is also jealously. However we are planning to come again 2014 in feb/march for la/vegas again (taking some friends), then I'm thinking the best place to turn 40 might be hawaii, august 2015.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 1, 2012 - 11:47 pm:

Hi everyone, sorry for not posting my message,been working at a job full-time and attending the community college taking two classes, then find some time to complete the homework.
    Me and my laptop are being a best friends.

By Danielssss on Sunday, September 2, 2012 - 01:40 pm:

Pretty cat matches pretty spider. Debt free is wonderful.

By semillama on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:13 am:

Congrats on both accounts, Spider! Nowadays, two of the most magical words in the English language are "debt free" - it's too bad that for many of us, it takes something like an inheritance to be able to utter the phrase.

That cat is great - a tortoiseshell, right? Torties have the best fur. Makes me miss my old kittie, who I had to put to sleep about a year ago.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 11:52 am:

She's like...a calico tortie. Is there such at thing? At any rate, she's got a lot of white in her fur. Here's another picture.

Maybe you can give me some advice --

This cat has lived her whole life (4 years) in a tiny apartment. When I take her, she will be living in a 2-floor house with a big unfinished basement. I was originally thinking of putting her litterbox in the basement, but I've been reading about how cats prefer small enclosed areas when they're stressed out, and the basement is very big with unlimited places to hide, including a huge crawlspace that goes back maybe 10-15 yards into the foundation. Maybe a better option is to put her (and her litterbox and food) in the spare bedroom, where it's smaller and while there are still hiding places for her, they're limited to under the furniture (where I can see her and she can't get lost or hurt). Then, when she's comfortable in the house, I can move her litterbox into the basement.

Does this sound like a good idea? My brother and his girlfriend think that the basement is fine for her to hide out in until she gets settled, but I'm worried that she might get stuck somewhere or find all the new space anxiety-producing.

Maybe I'm the one who needs to relax?

This cat is apparently the chillest cat in the world. She never gets hostile, she never gets into trouble, she doesn't jump up on tables and counters, she doesn't go exploring into cabinets, she doesn't wake you up in the morning begging for food....she basically just sleeps and sits in the windowsill all day and night.

They say that she likes to sleep with them, and if they close the door with her out in the hallway, she gently taps on the door with her paw until she's let in. What a polite cat.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 01:49 pm:

Put the litter in the basement first and see how that goes.
    Your nose will thank you.

By platypus on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - 09:53 pm:

Yay for being debt-free!

I'm laughing at the idea of a polite cat, but that
    might just be bitterness over the eight month long
    standoff I'm enduring between Newcat and Seniorcat.

By Danielssss on Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 02:47 pm:

I always thought the two most mogical words in the language were "eight teen"

now beginning to think "sixty six"

By semillama on Thursday, September 6, 2012 - 04:28 pm:

Yeah, what Antigone said about the litter. All the torties I've known have been really sweet, friendly cats and great with people. I am a little biased.

My tortie would tap me on the shoulder when she wanted to go under the covers to snuggle. I still really miss that.

By Spider on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 12:31 pm:

Even though the basement is a big dark cold unfinished room with boxes/bags/appliances/equipment/piles of junk all over the place, vs. a bedroom with sunlight, windows, carpet, bed and closet to hide under/in if necessary?

I totally get what you're saying regarding the smell, hence the idea of having the litterbox in the basement as a goal, but do you think the cat would adjust better to the new environment by being put in the basement from the get-go rather than the bedroom?

My brother and his girlfriend are technically staying here for about a week at the end of the month, cat coming with them, so they will be here to help her adjust....but they will be out of town for an extended weekend before they move out of country, so they may spend only 1-2 days here with the cat. I just don't want this poor cat to get freaked out and stop eating and die of fatty liver disease or something. :(

I've never had or even lived with a pet before, and she won't be mine -- I'm just taking care of her for a year -- so if anything happened to her, I'd feel just horrible.

By Antigone on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 12:51 pm:

Methinks the cat will help you relax. :)

By Spider on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 02:56 pm:

I do have happier thoughts! Like, I wonder where in the house she'll like to chill out, if she'll get a kick out of all the birds and rabbits in our yard, if she'll knock on my door at night since I sleep with it closed...

Another cute thing she does is she chirps before jumping up on furniture, like she's announcing her intentions. Or maybe asking permission, since she is so well-behaved.

Oh god I'm going to be one of those people who can't shut up about their cat

By Spider on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 02:56 pm:

I don't even like cats! I'm a dog person!

By Antigone on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 05:21 pm:

Prepare to be converted.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, September 7, 2012 - 08:16 pm:

I wouldn't put a litter box in a damp basement, that smell of ammonia can build up the stench of smell. leave it on the first floor. And frequent change the litter oftens.

By droopy on Monday, September 10, 2012 - 02:10 am:

this will be interesting.

By Spider on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 10:58 am:

I got the job I applied for in my library! I start on 10/8.

The little cat is moving in tomorrow. I had a dream last night that she was so freaked out by the move that she threw up in my hand.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 12:57 am:

Congrats, Spider on your new job!

By droopy on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 02:26 am:

gratulations, spider.

my father likes to tell a story about the day he
    came home from the vietnam war. i was so freaked out
    by him that i threw up on him. my feelings about him
    never improved. hope things are better with the cat.

By Spider on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 07:19 pm:

Aw, droop.

The cat has arrived. She is currently hiding under the wardrobe in the foyer. When I got home from work, my brother was sitting with her on the couch and she was hiding under a blanket and trying to bury her head in the crack between the cushions. I watched her slink out and try to hide behind the couch, and she crawled along on her belly like a Navy SEAL on a mission.

The litter is in the downstairs bathroom -- a nice compromise between the basement and upstairs bedroom that had not occurred to me before today. I'm going out to get some Feliway to put in the bathroom so she can get some help chilling out.

By platypus on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 10:49 pm:

Cats are the best at Navy SEAL maneuvers. I hope she
    settles in and feels more comfortable soon.

By Spider on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 11:02 pm:

Feliway was $10 off with the PetSmart bonus card, and I had left the card at home, so no dice tonight. Maybe I won't need it.

When I returned tonight, she was still under the wardrobe, so before turning in for bed, I heated her food up a little in the microwave to make it smell more, and put it and some water right in front of the wardrobe in case she wants to eat in the middle of the night. I left the light on in the bathroom so she can see her way to her litter, although I know cats can see better in the dark than we can. Maybe I'll get her a little nightlight.

By Spider on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 11:04 pm:

Also, just to keep with the thread theme, I've been pleased to see that while I've lost weight, the physical therapy I've been doing has helped me retain my booty.

All those glute exercises are paying off.

By Spider on Friday, September 28, 2012 - 09:10 am:

Well, she hadn't eaten any of her food overnight, but she had used her litter box (yay, she knows where it is), and this morning I found her not under the wardrobe but under the extra cushions in the living room where she had Navy SEALed her way to yesterday afternoon.

My brother and girlfriend left yesterday evening and won't be back until Sunday, and I hope she's settled in by then.

I actually had trouble sleeping last night because I was worried about her -- I woke up around 2, fell back to sleep around 5, and had a dream that I worked at a prison in Texas and asked one of the prisoners for advice about taking care of the cat. Either he had a talking dog, or in the middle of our conversation he turned into a dog and kept dispensing advice. I was not phased. He told me everything would be fine, for what it's worth.

By Danielssss on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 12:07 am:

felony dog dreams are so cool. send pics of those glutes, or the cat, or both. breathing was better this past week but the last two days have been hell. But I made it to another Saturday night.

By Spider on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 08:55 am:

We had ourselves quite a little adventure yesterday. In the morning, I discovered that she had eaten a bit of the food I had put in front of her in one of her hiding spots, so I was happy. But the cat was nowhere to be found, so I was worried.

The cat was literally nowhere to be found. I searched basically all day for her in every conceivable hiding spot in the entire house, including the basement. This is why I don't her down there -- it is packed to the gills with boxes, band equipment, mounds and mounds of random household crap that I really need to go through....she could easily fall into a crevasse between stuff and get stuck in there. Not to mention that if she got back into the crawlspace...

At 4:30, I finally found her in the room where my brother + girlfriend were going to stay, inside the frame of the pulled out sofabed. I left her alone and on her own she escaped from that hiding space to under the bed in the room I wanted to shut her in in the first place. So I brought her food, water, and litterbox up, plugged the Feliway in, and shut the door on her, and that's where she's been ever since. I just went in and found her hiding under the bed, although it appeared that she had used the little window seat I had made her with a blanket over a box, and she had possibly eaten a little.

And that is where she will stay until my brother+girlfriend get here this afternoon. Then they can deal with her while they stay here until Friday. I need a break from the worry.

The funny thing is that when I called my brother to tell him I couldn't find the cat, he said, "She just wants to make sure that there are no predators around and no one is yelling or making loud noises..."

If she was sitting under the sofabed the whole time, then she was there when I was playing video games while sitting on the edge of the bed....and yelling at the game when I'd get frustrated. I probably scared the shit out of her (thankfully not literally...although she did leave a hairball under there).

By droopy on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 06:40 pm:

i think an animal needs at least a couple of weeks
    to fully process her new surroundings. does this
    cat have a name? i don't think i've ever seen you
    mention it.

was out in the texas hill country again. the
    farmhouse i stayed in was lizard central. mostly
    concentrated on the back deck. i don't know if
    it's mating season or what, but i saw lots of
    males doing that "push-ups" display they do. why
    have a pet when you can watch nature in action.

and the purple sage was in raging inflorescence.
    quite pretty.

By Spider on Monday, October 1, 2012 - 10:16 am:

Her name was originally Reese, but after my brother's girlfriend (whose name is Amber) went to Italy, she changed the cat's name to Micio, which is the Italian equivalent of "kitty" (pronounced "meecho").

When Amber came by yesterday, Micio slowly began coming out of her shell, to the point where last night she was exploring a room while we were in it. If we made any sudden movements, she'd flinch and duck away, but she seemed a lot more confident.

She let me pick her up and carry her without getting hostile on me, and she also ate all of the food in her bowl overnight, hooray.

Amber and my brother are staying with me until Thursday, going out of town on the weekend, staying here again on Sunday and Monday, and then on Tuesday they leave for Argentina. They will be living there for at least a year.

The cat and my brother moving away and my starting a new job have caused my baseline level of anxiety to flare up. I need time to get used to the changes, just like the cat does.

By Antigone on Monday, October 1, 2012 - 01:29 pm:

The cat won't get stuck anywhere. Cats have mad skillz. And you
    need to take magnesium to help with anxiety, unless you enjoy
    anxiety.

By Spider on Monday, October 1, 2012 - 03:26 pm:

All right, lay it out for me again -- how many milligrams and how often?

By Danielssss on Monday, October 1, 2012 - 05:52 pm:

Eating foods that are rich in magnesium is an important step in correcting a magnesium deficiency naturally. Magnesium can be found most abundantly in coconut water, kelp, cashews, buckwheat, molasses, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, cocoa powder and rice bran.

Magnesium Supplementation

Those with anxiety will often benefit from magnesium supplementation. Start with 200 mg per day and work your way up to the most effective dose. Too much magnesium may cause loose stools. If this occurs, either cut back on your dose or divide it into smaller doses throughout the day. Most people find that 400-800 mg taken in divided doses will ease their anxiety symptoms considerably.

Magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate and magnesium chloride are among the most absorbable forms of magnesium. Magnesium oil and epsom salts can also be used externally to boost magnesium levels.

Further Reading:

http://www.allnaturalremediesguide.com/natural-remedies-for-anxiety/

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031034_magnesium_anxiety.html#ixzz285EUh6K9

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - 03:34 am:

Bingo!

Another great way to get magnesium is transdermally,
    (the magnesium oil mentioned above) but go with supplements
    first. Pills during the day, and a powder like "Natural Calm" at
    night. And avoid magnesium oxide as it is not absorbed well
    and next to useless.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 - 03:42 am:

Which reminds me, I need to stock up on pepitas again.
    (Roasted pumpkin seeds). One of my favorite side dishes
    these days is quinoa mixed with pepitas. (Both are good
    sources of magnesium.) And I've basically replaced all of my
    rice consumption with quinoa. It's muuuuuuch better for you.

By droopy on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 - 11:09 pm:

today at work i was putting in some extra hours to
    prepare for a show in which our store will
    participate. i sequester myself in the store room,
    play some jazz on pandora radio, and do my
    monotonous job.
    today i heard the "hot lips" page version of "st.
    james infirmary." a song that always makes me
    think of spider.

jazz is why i don't need magnesium (for anxiety;
    or whatever it's for).

viva la gata.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 02:44 am:

This weekend, bubba. Got the time?

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 10:32 am:

It is nice that Antigone going to meet droopy.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 12:13 pm:

viva la gata y spidera.

Sometimes i like myself better when I am anonymous and nondescript...

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 12:30 pm:

Y spidera is a perfect Russian genitive phrase.

У Спайдера есть кошка.
    U spidera yest' koshka.
    Spider has a cat.

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 12:32 pm:

Временно.
    Vrimyenna.
    Temporarily.

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 12:52 pm:

Yesterday, I took the day off to spend some time with my brother and Amber before they leave, and the only thing my brother wanted to do with us was take us to a shooting range and teach us how to shoot guns. Uh, sure.

So, we go to the shooting range and with no safety training course or video or even words of instruction, we were let out into the range -- oh, I'm sorry, the shooting master or whoever told us one thing: do not hand the gun to someone; put it down on the ledge for them to pick up -- with a .22 and 9mm handgun.

I was shaking when I started, because, goddamn, what was I doing here with the only use or safety tips I knew coming from cop shows? I'm a pacifist, yo. At least I was familiar with the concept of trigger discipline, I guess?

I started with the .22, since it wasn't as threatening as the 9mm, and imagine my surprise when I shot my first 8 rounds at a target 10 yds away and got two hits in the bulls-eye.

All those video games pay off.

The 9mm freaked me out, and it had a recoil that hurt my arthritic thumb, so I stuck with the .22.

I was also freaked out when the range started filling up with people in business clothes using shotguns and .44s, and shooting at targets with photographs of people on them. We didn't stay too long after they arrived, because...gross.

But it was actually kind of fun.

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 01:41 pm:

he heh... he hee heee... said the chink. I got my wife a 357 short barrel police 38 special, and the recoil is a bit much for her. I like it. I am going after a 45 glock this weekend, and see if it is all they say it is.

I am a pacifist also. a well armed pacifist. I have an attack cat too.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 04:24 pm:

droooooooopy... Whaddya say?

By droopage on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 05:48 pm:

thunderbirds are go, antigone.

howya wanna work this? as i said, i live downtown
    -just down the street from sundance square. if
    you've ever been here you know downtown fort worth
    is tiny. i figured we'd pick a
    restaurant/bar/landmark and meet there. did you
    make any plans?

cats, guns, and badonkadonk. but i know spider
    said she was really a dog person. i think she's on
    her way to being a perfect texan.

the last time i fired a gun was in 1982. in
    colorado.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 06:40 pm:

Any place, any time, Saturday preferred.

By sarah on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 07:16 pm:

Dougie, you out there? how are the twins?

By droopy on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 08:16 pm:

dougie has twins?

antigone - saturday's great for me. someone has
    been bidding for my time on sunday. your original
    invite was for lunch, implying afternoon.
    i'm inclined to leave the time up to you, since
    you're the one who has to drive all the way from
    dallas.
    if i had my 'drothers, i'd like something later.
    at least after 4pm. i'm an evening person. (4pm
    isn't evening, but i don't want to keep you late
    since it's only our first date).

my scenario would be this: in downtown there is
    parking (garage and lot) at the intersection of
    3rd street and calhoun (near bass hall). i'm sure
    you have all sorts or technology and android
    voices to find this. from there it's a short walk
    to a place called "the flying saucer" (specialty
    beers, nibbles and shit). i would wait there in
    the outside area. i will the the 45 year old
    gringo in a black wheelchair.

it's just an option

By Antigone on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 09:03 pm:

Flying saucer, fuck yeah.

I too am a night owl.

6pm at the corner of 3rd and Calhoun it is.

I'll be the 6'4" gringo in green crocs and shorts.

By droopy on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 10:37 pm:

excellent.

just to be clear: starting from 3rd and calhoun
    there is a movie theater and a barnes and noble
    bookstore. across the street from that is the
    saucer.

we can play this by ear. but i'm thinking pub
    crawl. starting from the saucer and wandering the
    streets of f.w.

an appetizer here, a drink there.

i'm easy. and i'll pay my way.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 4, 2012 - 11:14 pm:

Heh. Droopy thinks he's paying.

By Spider on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 05:29 pm:

Take pictures. :)

I'm typing from my new office. It's hot, there's no window, it's too quiet, it's cluttered and there's no room for my stuff...now I know how my cat feels.

She chirped at me last night (first noise I've heard her make in a week) and voluntarily walked over to me to get pet. Things are looking up.

Daniel, are you really a gun owner? That seems unlike you.

By Danielssss on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 07:14 pm:

I am, and i am a pacifist. I live in a very secluded rural area known for meth making and I don't like visitors who are high on four wheel atvs driving naked through my forest and who tote high powered rifles so owning guns is simply a protective measure...also in the coming anarchy, those who are armed and well ammoed can protect what they have: 13,000 plus gallons of clean fresh potable water, a defensible position surrounded by (uhhemmm) deer fencing, and one way in but several ways out. A little paranoia goes a long way in my neighborhood. I also work with a relatively nutty clientele, half of them felons, and a quarter of them rather violent felons. My wife works as a supervisor nurse in a correctional facility (nearly 50 miles away), and cannot carry a gun while at work. We both keep a very low profile, and I learned twenty years ago when working in a locked ward how important anonymity can be. Own nondescript looks like a cow lane one lane road is gated (but not in the 1% fashion)-- more a rural cattle gate...and we drive subaru's (matching outback wagons hers black mine white) so we are the yuppiest of our neighbors. We live 3/4 of a mile off road but still on the grid.

I shot the 357 one time about a year ago. We don't tote or taunt, and I don't even hunt despite the deer and rabbits and squirrels all over the place. No old goats though. ...

Other than some starlings and once a crow in a cornfield when I was young, when I did carry a gun routinely, and for which the crows have never forgiven me...I have killed no living thing except an occasional mouse or rattlesnake. Last time I shot at a snake, curled on the steps of my back porch, an eastern timber rattler about six feet long, it simply looked arrogantly at me before sliding away.

I especially don't kill spiders and we have many brown recluses inside and wolf spiders outside since we live in the woods.

I want the little glock to carry at work for protection, that's all. Oh, and none of my guns are registered.

By Antigone on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 09:05 pm:

The coming anarchy, eh?

I fail to understand the apocalyptic viewpoint. Sometimes I
    wonder if people aren't craving it more than just expecting it.

By Antigone on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 09:05 pm:

The coming anarchy, eh?

I fail to understand the apocalyptic viewpoint. Sometimes I
    wonder if people aren't craving it more than just expecting it.

By Antigone on Friday, October 5, 2012 - 09:06 pm:

Double trouble!

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 04:03 pm:

You guys have fun as usuall!!! The temperature just dropped and I finally put the blankets on my bed, It is three layers of blanket, hated when my brother and his wife smokes in the house and yet had to cover the ventation with duct tape(lol) from inhaling the stale of their cigarette smell. uggh.

By Antigone on Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 09:34 pm:

Am sitting with the man droopy himself. He lives!

By Antigone on Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 11:38 pm:

So I just got back from hanging out with droopy. Both of us being
    essentially hermits the conversation was sparse at times. :) He's a
    cool d00d, though. My kind of hermit. There is a picture of the
    event but droop mentioned something about the Zeta cartel coming
    to get him if his face became public, so I'd better not post it.

By Danielssss on Sunday, October 7, 2012 - 01:27 pm:

You’re dangerous,” he says.
    “Why?”
    “Because you make me believe in the impossible.
    ― Simone Elkeles, Rules of Attraction

Sorabji has proven the existence of life in texas. Aren't we all hermits of some kind or another.

By droopy on Sunday, October 7, 2012 - 04:25 pm:

you should see my face now.

woke up this morning in the hospital.

when antigone and i parted company last night
    rolled over to a bar and started drinking straight
    tequila. don't even remember leaving the bar. the
    doctor at the hospital told me two cops found me
    on the sidewalk. i've got a nasty abrasion next to
    my left eye and my ribcage aches. otherwise, i'm
    fine.
    they kept me in the hospital till about 7:30am.
    hermits don't have people to pick them up after
    self-destructive drinking bouts. took the bus
    home.

antigone was definitely the highlight of the
    evening.

By Antigone on Sunday, October 7, 2012 - 06:24 pm:

Fuck, man. Did not intend that to be a leaving las vegas
    moment. You're an adult and you can destroy your liver any
    time you like, but just know there are people here who care
    about you. You can ping me any time you like.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 7, 2012 - 09:06 pm:

I wish Antigone could of took droopy home. :-)

By droopy on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 12:55 am:

they've checked my liver. it's actually in good
    shape. though i might be inclined to put less of a
    burden on it after my little adventure.

i refused to call anybody while i was at the
    hospital. i got myself there, i could get myself
    home.

By Antigone on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 01:19 am:

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 11:25 am:

So, that's you and droopy? How nice!

By Danielsssss on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 02:43 pm:

man that link looks like two white guys who need a drink, not at all what i expected.

By droopy on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 02:52 pm:

what did you expect?

i'm looking away and scowling a little because i was
    the one trying to take the picture on the ipad.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 8, 2012 - 08:16 pm:

Just wanted to know who you are really. Honesty. :-)

By Spider on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 - 10:22 am:

Damn, Droopy. You've got to take good care of yourself.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 9, 2012 - 09:55 pm:

I dunno why but Droopy in my head has mean dreadlocks.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 04:38 pm:

Droopy, I had a dream about you last night.

I was with friends in an old tavern and I found you in an odd loft-type area in the back rooms of the tavern, overlooking the restaurant room. You were missing one of your arms at the elbow, and both of your legs had been amputated at shin level. You may have been a war veteran. You looked to be covered in dust, although on closer inspection I realized it was spiders' eggs (it still looked like mere dust and wasn't as gross as it might sound).

You couldn't walk, what with all the missing limbs, so I put my arms around you and lifted you up, and we shuffled outside together. I joked that we were dancing cheek to cheek, and when I looked at your face, I saw that my cheek had cleaned half of your face clear of the dust.

We made it outside but then got separated somehow. Then it was like I was in Dickensian London, with all these colorful characters pushing me about in a crowd. I couldn't find my way and ended up following this old soldier-looking gentleman into another tavern (although he was very rude to me). In this other tavern, someone pressed a large shotglass into my hand, and I looked up and realized everyone was waiting for me to make a toast. I felt very uncomfortable and mumbled something, and then drank the contents of the glass as quickly as I could. I quickly realized that the drink had been drugged, and the room started spinning.

The tavern was actually a brothel and I knew I had been a victim of a trap, but I didn't feel like I was in any danger as I stumbled around the upstairs hallways and rooms. I found two young orphan children huddled together in a tiny closet-like room, and there was a horrifying moment when I realized that they were not only working as prostitutes but were also brother and sister. (They seemed really blase about it.)

I made it outside and heard someone say that you were in the library. I thought, "Of course he's in the library!" and followed another crowd of Dickensian characters into another tavern-like building that served as the library in this strange town. This library was really cool -- it was a one-room octagonal brick building -- and seemed to be more of a museum of curiosities than an actual library: there weren't really any books on the shelves, but instead heaps of tiny automatons, puzzle boxes, little birdcages, and other old fashioned devices all cataloged and labeled by hand.

I got engrossed in looking through all the little machines, and woke up before I could find you.

By sarah on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 01:11 am:

wow. hot. with a smile, smokin' hot.

next time, smile.

i always pictured just about that, except a 2-day
    beard and wearing black.

sorry about the hospital thing.

By droopy on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 02:39 am:

i shaved for antigone. had it not been cold, i
    would have worn my black "i'm not dead yet" t-
    shirt. i think smiling only improves things
    slightly.

my hair is military short right now because i
    shaved myself bald last month.

i was probably in a corner with a dust cover over
    me, spider. that last part of the dream reminded
    me of a dream i posted somewhere.

heaven, i'm in heaven
    and my heart beats so that i can hardly speak...

By Danielssss on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 12:51 pm:

wonderful dream, wonderful friends, here and there. Droop, honest to god I thought you were an african american black man through and through, not that it makes any difference at all, but all these years my mental picture of you was not at the reality, and yes, moonie, sometimes with dreadlocks, but mostly with a short hair cut.

Again, I recall when I first posted pics on flicker and saw the very first time some sorabjites, not at all matching my imagination of them. The exceptions were Heather and Sarah for i know I had seen Sarah's picture from syrup and I have always known what Heather looked like. Again, why I don't know. When I met her she was and is prettier than my imagined visage which was very close to the real thing.

CZ was another lovely sorabjite who matched in my imagination the reality of her presence. Actually her reality far exceeded anything I could imagine. if any one hears from her, tell her I miss her on the boards and in life in general. S

She --like so many others of you here -- truly have become part of my family. I know I am the black sheep, or the old goat, and sometimes the silveback gorrilla, but I'm just an old wheezey white guy in my Hanes ...

Again, Spider, wonderful description. You should be a writer.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:12 pm:

Daniel, I've always seen you as more of a duck billed platypus.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:12 pm:

Daniel, I've always seen you as more of a duck billed platypus.

By Antigone on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:17 pm:

DUCK BILLED!

By Spider on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:59 pm:

I write better than that when I'm trying. :)

My dreams have been very vivid lately. Last night's was not nearly as interesting, though -- I dreamed I was talking to Keanu Reeves about his work in "The Matrix," which I have never seen either in dreamland or real life. I was making stuff up just to keep him talking to me, as he was so, so handsome I felt myself glow in his presence.

By droopy on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 02:28 am:

daniel--i take that as a compliment, but you also
    kind of remind me of the time my grandmother heard
    a bob seeger song and asked me if he was a "black
    fella." just out of curiosity, what made you think
    i was an african american black negro of color?
    i'm sorry, i just have to chuckle. i know if
    blindswine were here, he'd be saying "seriously?"

the last keanu reeves movie i saw was his
    performance in "much ado about nothing." truly
    unforgettable.

how's the cat?

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 11:16 am:

Very cool that you guys hooked up, and to see a picture of you both. Is it me, or does Antigone look a bit like Michael Caine?

By droopy on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 01:44 pm:

i was thinking robust john lennon. since it's a way
    to kill lunch hour, i found an alfie-era picture of
    michael caine and one of lennon (both black and
    white) and put them side-by-side on my paint
    program. in these two pictures, from the nose down,
    they look like mirror images. complete with a bend
    in the nose that goes in different directions.

i'll have to look at the antigone picture again.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 01:55 pm:

dougie, well if your saying that guy is Antigone who looks like Michael Caine? somewhat ...
    Took my brother's dogs out for a walk, stubborn dog. Found a IBM thinkpad laptop, also a AT&T wireless router. Going to have to test bench these two items tonight when I gets home, I am sure it is a WPA2 router, don't wanna to bother using WEP router, cause it is vulneerable to attack. So, have a great weekend.

By .danielssss on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 03:21 pm:

Actually I thought originally (years ago) that Swine was caucasian. I don't ever recall seeing a pic of him. There is probably no particular reason that I can cite now, maybe something in a post years ago, who knows. My mind's eye had you pegged as a very nice black guy in jeans and fatigues tooling around in a chair which was always well liquored. I am rather color blind as to race ethnicity or skin color and lately I find....gender differences... In that I am much more accepting of similarities than I am pointing out differences. Oddly, many peg me an NDN because of my looks, WAY OF SPEAKING, MANNERISMS, use of caps, and hair. Ha. Who knows. I am just glad you are back on the boards. Missed you while you were on hiatus.

By .danielssss on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 03:21 pm:

Actually I thought originally (years ago) that Swine was caucasian. I don't ever recall seeing a pic of him. There is probably no particular reason that I can cite now, maybe something in a post years ago, who knows. My mind's eye had you pegged as a very nice black guy in jeans and fatigues tooling around in a chair which was always well liquored. I am rather color blind as to race ethnicity or skin color and lately I find....gender differences... In that I am much more accepting of similarities than I am pointing out differences. Oddly, many peg me an NDN because of my looks, WAY OF SPEAKING, MANNERISMS, use of caps, and hair. Ha. Who knows. I am just glad you are back on the boards. Missed you while you were on hiatus.

By Antigone on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 04:40 pm:

I've never gotten Michael Caine before. People used to say I looked
    like John Lennon a lot. Guess I'll have to lose a bit of weight to get
    that again. :)

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 05:02 pm:

The cat had been making gradual strides every day, still hiding during daylight hours, but come evening she would get bolder and bolder exploring the upstairs rooms. At one point, she turned a pen into a toy and occupied herself with batting it around the room, so clearly she was relaxed and enjoying herself in her new environment.

Two nights ago, she jumped in my lap while I was working at the computer and stayed there for 15-20 minutes while I pet her; she even purred. I decided to push my luck and carry her downstairs, and the further down the stairs I got, the more I felt her claws dig into my arms. She bolted as soon as I set her down.

So then last night, she didn't come out of hiding at all. I may have set back her progress two weeks! At least she wasn't hiding with her head in the couch cushions. Although I don't know if hiding on top of boxes in a dark closet is much of an improvement.

Silly timid cat. Love me already!

By Antigone on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 08:53 pm:

Silly timid Spider. Chill and let it happen.

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 09:58 pm:

I think I further traumatized her today when I discovered her hiding beneath a blanket by nearly sitting on her and then violently throwing the blanket back to expose her. She's been in the closet ever since.

My new job is a lot more stressful than I'd anticipated; every night I come home exhausted. And my boss will be away at a conference all next week and I will be manning the department by myself while barely knowing what I'm doing.

This time last year my mom started her last radiation treatments, and started the process of dying. The anniversary of her death falls on Thanksgiving.

By Antigone on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 03:25 am:

Yeah, I hear you. Anniversary of my ex wife moving out with
    my daughter is coming up, too. And the first wedding
    anniversary post divorce is on sunday.

Just be with your kitty. It'll all come out OK.

By platypus on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 12:06 pm:

Anniversaries are so hard. And shy kitties can be
    frustrating, but they do come around eventually,
    usually when you least expect it. Hang in there,
    Spider. You too, Antigone.

By J on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 05:27 pm:

Droopy and Tiggy,not only are you two highly
    intelligent you both are fine looking men.I always
    pictured Droopy with a mustache and beard.
    Stay strong Tiggy!!!

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 09:01 pm:

I agreed with J's comments, I have always thought that droopy has a beard and mustache, not only, but reddish-brown haired as well as beard.

By droopy on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:03 pm:

i'd probably have a beard if i could grow a decent
    one. it comes out scraggly and is completely black
    while the hair on my head is a sort of dark
    dishwater blonde. my father has hair that is
    almost black but his beard is red.

talked to my sister today. she wants me to come
    down to new braunfels (close to san antonio) for
    christmas. she even found me an abandoned condo
    for me to stay in.

she also wants me to come to her daughter's
    baptism. my sister has decided to raise her child
    as a catholic - the religion she and i both left
    in 1979. funny enough, she enrolled the kid in a
    school called "protestant academy". i don't know
    what religion the father is, or if he even has
    one. this kid is going to be as spiritually
    confused as his mother and i were.

bless you and keep you, everyone.

By Antigone on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 10:48 pm:

You're assuming there is a father.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 12:10 am:

droopy, I can't believe that your sister has found you a abandonded condo?w.t.f. the world has comes to? I wish you very well, and you are the best guy I ever read some comments That I liked the most. I have my faith in you.

By The Watcher on Saturday, November 3, 2012 - 03:33 am:

Spider, I am glad you have the cat. I can't count the number of cats I've had. I can not live without a cat. My two are the only things keeping me sane. Well, as close as I'll ever get anyway.

One little hint about the kitty. Decide on the place to keep the litter box and keep it there. That will help her settle down. Moving it will only make her more nervous.

By heather on Sunday, November 4, 2012 - 04:51 pm:

Cats are disgusting. They stand in their poop and walk on your
    stuff. Seriously what is more gross than that?

Two cats just moved out. The upstairs is unusable until it gets a
    new subfloor... guess why?

Cats that live outside or in barns are pretty cool.

By The Watcher on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 05:43 am:

If you clean out the cat box they won't have to stand in it.

By Antigone on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 01:26 pm:

And dogs eat poop then lick your face.

By sarah on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 12:29 am:

my cats were always outdoor cats. my house(s)
    never smelled like cat piss.

when my dogs die, we're going to get a cat.
    natalie ruth loves cats. and chicks. and pretty
    much all animals.

and i like most cats. i kinda hate dogs.

a dear friend of mine died on Friday. stage 4
    breast cancer. she was 42 years old.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 02:38 pm:

I like cats, I just can't eat a whole one myself. I got used to them at El Corral Taco Shop in the Peurto Rican section of Gary IN in 1969.

My formerly feral cat named Spook Doggy Dog ("Doggie") is now an indoors cat, though she likes hiding under the norfolk pine tree (8+ feet tall) in my bedroom, and especially the Christmas tree (artificial scotch pine), and any place else she can hide. She is more social now after six years of captivity, still hates squirrels on the porch, and does not piss or poop anywhere except her little box. She does like to eat things and throw them up. She is my early warning system for earthquakes.

I like dogs too but they are tough unless cooked a long time.

Sorry to hear of your friend S. 42 was the age of my mother went she left on the blue road of spirit. I've out lived her by twenty years.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 03:48 pm:

I'm very sorry, Sarah. That's so young.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:37 pm:

I liked Dogs and Penguins, not the cats, because, the cats give me allergy.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:13 am:

Sarah, my mother went the same way. She was fifty at the time.
    It's rough on anyone to go through it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact